I call it, '07 Best PC gaming year in a long time.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jdog8888888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 jdog8888888
Member since 2003 • 506 Posts

Gamespot should call it right now. Anyone seen 3 games hit 9.5 for a platform in one year? PC's have barely seen anything that high since HL2 and WOW. Back in the day of RTS first big wave, 9.5 was no big deal. The last year and half of Xbox had such a run, First couple years of PS2, entire PS run, and PC's about 10 years ago (when Warcraft, CnC and all the clones were HOT).

Last years breakout PC game, Company of Heroes, was an eye opener. Great realistic action, and we saw things in a RTS we never imagined would be, smart AI, changable landscapes, deep strategy, and realistic graphics. This year, amazing gameplay on multiple levels is virtually the norm. World at War, Bioshock, Crysis, 3 brand new franchises which repectively raised the bar in their genres in gameplay, graphics and interactivity. It all goes to show, its not graphics alone that make a game, new video cards are not everything. The more we play, the more we expect.

This is a breakout year for PC. The type of thing that CnC1, Diablo, and Everquest did for PC's just a few years ago. The next few years will be great, mark it, and '07 is the best year we have seen in a long time.

MS, thank you, thank you for the xbox, xbox360 and bringing all your power behind direct x.

rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 rock_solid
Member since 2003 • 5122 Posts

i agree it's a good year.

C&C3

orange box

COD4

crysis

UT3

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

A few already beat you to it, but agreed.

ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts
Don't you mean World in Conflict?
ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts

Well, best gaming year, I have to disagree.
However, these few weeks have been the best in a long long time, for me at least. It seems like yesterday that I was sitting behind my PC going : "what to dooooo................wait, I know, let's play games with only 16 colors!"
Now, I can't possibly find time to finish all these games. I've only gotten started on Crysis and The Witcher, and once I manage to get those done (which could be a while, especially Ze Witcher). I've still got COD4, GEOW, Episode 2 half finished, Portal half finished.......

Let's hope this keeps going, though I actually doubt that. :)

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

07 has indeed been a fine year for PC gaming except for RPGs. Mask of the Betrayer and The Witcher are really the only two RPG games of 07 worth mentioning. Everything else has either been downright terrible, mediocre, or so bug ridden that it takes away from the game.

08 is looking like it's going to be a heck of a year as well.

HaloEleven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HaloEleven
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts
PC gaming is on the up if you ask me.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

Supreme Commander

Command and Conquer 3

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

The Orange Box

Call of Duty 4

World in Conflict

The Witcher

Crysis

Gears of War

Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword

Bioshock

Lord of the Rings Online

Rainbow Six Vegas

Unreal Tournament 3

Universe at War

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

DiRT

Overlord

Sam & Max: Season One

The Elder Scrolls: Shivering Isles

Galactic Civilizations 2: Dark Avatar

Europa Universalis 3

World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade

----------

What did I forget?

Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts
What suprised me is the games i expected to be good i ended up disappointed and the games i didn't expect to be good i loved and then there was lots of games i didn't even look at before release like Gears of War, which i loved aswel.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#10 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

07 has indeed been a fine year for PC gaming except for RPGs. Mask of the Betrayer and The Witcher are really the only two RPG games of 07 worth mentioning. Everything else has either been downright terrible, mediocre, or so bug ridden that it takes away from the game.

PTMags

I'm sure people with different RPG tastes than you would disagree. But more to the point, 2 excellent RPGs in one year is good enough.

Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts

However, these few weeks have been the best in a long long time, for me at least. It seems like yesterday that I was sitting behind my PC going : "what to dooooo................wait, I know, let's play games with only 16 colors!"
Now, I can't possibly find time to finish all these games. I've only gotten started on Crysis and The Witcher, and once I manage to get those done (which could be a while, especially Ze Witcher). I've still got COD4, GEOW, Episode 2 half finished, Portal half finished.......

Let's hope this keeps going, though I actually doubt that. :)

ShotGunBunny

*Slaps you* Put down Crysis and The Witcher and finish Portal NOW....

jdog8888888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jdog8888888

Don't you mean World in Conflict?ElectricNZ

Yea. Hard to keep them all straight.

jdog8888888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jdog8888888

ShotGunBunny

Its not an EVER statement. But what I am saying is this year has been deeper in great-must play games than I have seen since about 10 years ago.

NEOSPARKING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 NEOSPARKING
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts
most will say 98' was still better...
Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts
hellgate: London
Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ncsoftlover

Supreme Commander

Command and Conquer 3

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

The Orange Box

Call of Duty 4

World in Conflict

The Witcher

Crysis

Gears of War

Bioshock

Lord of the Rings Online

Rainbow Six Vegas

Unreal Tournament 3

Universe at War

DiRT

Overlord

Europa Universalis 3

----------

What did I forget?

RK-Mara

hellgate:London

DaRockWilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaRockWilder
Member since 2002 • 5451 Posts
Im sorry but hellgate london just sucks.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
This's a great year of PC gaming.
crimson_axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 crimson_axe
[QUOTE="PTMags"]

Cobra_nVidia

I'm sure people with different RPG tastes than you would disagree. But more to the point, 2 excellent RPGs in one year is good enough.

I've been enjoying The Witcher so far. NWN was a bit boring formy taste, but that's only because I hate micro-managing multiple characters. This wouldn't have been the big problem is was, however, if the AI in the damn game was worth a flip - but it isn't. The Witcher is the best RPG I've played in... I don't even know how long - KOTOR II maybe, but even that doesn't touch on the debth of this game. Still, it was a good game back a couple of years ago. Oh yeah, and Oblivion sucked hard.

After The Witcher, I'm sure I'll be playing some CoD4 and then probably Crysis. After that, I'll probably end up gettign that Kane and Lynch game, simply becase I''m a big fan of what the developers did in Freedom Fighters. After that? Assassin's Creed is something I'll be getting for certain when it's released on PC. For future RPGs, here's hoping Mass Effect will be ported from the X360.

Plus, next year looks promising for the MMO fans (which I am). I'm still a damn SWG refugee, and haven't found a good one worth playing to replace it. I've got high hopes for Age of Conan, but it's taking so long, it is beginning to lose its appeal. The Agency looks pretty sick too, but I'd be an idiot to try another SOE game, after I was lied to with SWG and tricked into trying EQ2 and (*ashamed*) Vanguard. Hey! I was desperate.

Lastly, I don't anticipate a release next year, but I am so anxious to learn more about this newly announced Bioware/Lucasarts MMO. Bioware has been talking about a Sci-Fi MMO for about two years now, and they just announced they were working with Lucasarts on a new MMO. There haven't been any confirmations as to whether or not the Sci-Fi MMO they've been working on is in fact the same one, but I'm more than sure that it is; and I'm more than sure it's another Star Wars MMO - which would be the one and only franchise that could beat WoW in playerbase. Oh well, Age of Conan will at least be a change in pace for MMO gamers in the mean time. Oh yeah, and not to forget about Huxley - could be cool.

Alnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Alnar
Member since 2006 • 145 Posts
Well..i would say autumn/winter of 07 is great :)..there was barely anything released before that.
pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts
Yes, this is probably the best year for PC games since '04.
Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ncsoftlover

Im sorry but hellgate london just sucks.DaRockWilder

it is still an important game for pc in 2007, and shouldn't be missed in a list.

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ncsoftlover

Well..i would say autumn/winter of 07 is great :)..there was barely anything released before that.Alnar

actually, the best selling pc game in 2007was release in January.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Supreme Commander

Command and Conquer 3

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

The Orange Box

Call of Duty 4

World in Conflict

The Witcher

Crysis

Gears of War

Bioshock

Lord of the Rings Online

Rainbow Six Vegas

Unreal Tournament 3

Universe at War

DiRT

Overlord

Europa Universalis 3

----------

What did I forget?

RK-Mara

TY for not supplying a list littered with just FPS's.. Nothing is more infuriating when some one is like "Omg this is the best year/month ever because of FPS1, FPS2, and FPS3!".

crimson_axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 crimson_axe

[QUOTE="Alnar"]Well..i would say autumn/winter of 07 is great :)..there was barely anything released before that.Ncsoftlover

lol... that's like saying Jaws has grossed more money over time than Jurrassic Park ever has. Ummm... I guess it would since it's like 20 years older.

Of course a game released in January would be a better seller than a game released in November/December. people have had more time to buy it - not to mention there wasn't much competition in January.

Out of curiosity though - what game was it? The only game I can think of would be Ghost Recon 2or Rainbow Six Vegas, but I really can't recall when those were actually released. I'm interested to know now.

crimson_axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 crimson_axe
[QUOTE="Ncsoftlover"]

[QUOTE="Alnar"]Well..i would say autumn/winter of 07 is great :)..there was barely anything released before that.crimson_axe

lol... that's like saying Jaws has grossed more money over time than Jurrassic Park ever has. Ummm... I guess it would since it's like 20 years older.

Of course a game released in January would be a better seller than a game released in November/December. people have had more time to buy it - not to mention there wasn't much competition in January.

Out of curiosity though - what game was it? The only game I can think of would be Ghost Recon 2or Rainbow Six Vegas, but I really can't recall when those were actually released. I'm interested to know now.

Oh wait, I know - that WoW expansion... whatever it's called. Dumb game.

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ncsoftlover
[QUOTE="crimson_axe"][QUOTE="Ncsoftlover"]

[QUOTE="Alnar"]Well..i would say autumn/winter of 07 is great :)..there was barely anything released before that.crimson_axe

Oh wait, I know - that WoW expansion... whatever it's called. Dumb game.

Yes, that what I meant, it might be a dumb expension, but you can't deny its success.

240 million copies sold in first 24 hours....

Secretwatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Secretwatcher
Member since 2006 • 98 Posts
240 million copies? lol i don't think so.
Alnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Alnar
Member since 2006 • 145 Posts

YEAH, DUMBASS !! :shock: IT WAS...9 billion!!!

:lol:

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58331 Posts

2007 is also the year of Awesome Titles Coming Out of Nowhere

1. The Witcher
2. Overlord

And ya, I bought too too many games this year lol.

Supreme Commander
C&C 3
Burning Crusade
Silent Hunter 4
WOrld in Conflict
Bioshock
Hellgate
The Witcher
Call of Duty 4
...and likemany more

And I be getting Crysis and UT3 too.

Best year I can remember

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

Yeah, 2007 is one of the best years of my PC gaming life, up there with '98, 2001 and 2004.

In terms of the number of great titles out, it's probably the best year. It's just too bad that there was almost nothing till summer, then almost nothing again until mid autumn then just a massive flood of games - so many that I actually took time off work, and still have a big pile of games sitting by my PC, waiting to be played.

And Perseus Mandate and Crysis are both finally out in UK today, so that pile is gonna get a little bigger...

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#32 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Supreme Commander, Crysis, Bioshock, Gears of War, and Unreal Tournament 3 are all highlight games of a great year. Gears of War should have recieve 9.5 making it the fourth game to get that kind of rating.
jdog8888888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jdog8888888

Yeah, 2007 is one of the best years of my PC gaming life, up there with '98, 2001 and 2004.

In terms of the number of great titles out, it's probably the best year. It's just too bad that there was almost nothing till summer, then almost nothing again until mid autumn then just a massive flood of games - so many that I actually took time off work, and still have a big pile of games sitting by my PC, waiting to be played.

And Perseus Mandate and Crysis are both finally out in UK today, so that pile is gonna get a little bigger...

mfsa

First of all, cant rush a good thing. I prefer if the makers take their time, release it when its ready. If they rush a first or second part of production, they can spend all the time they want later debugging, but it will always feel rushed. It is great to have solid, immersive, and fun to play games, whether they come in bunches or stay consistant. It is not good to have 200 games come out in a year if 195 are junk, better to have 40 with 25-30 worthwhile and 10-15 great/special games.

lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts
Definatly the big 3 games for me COD4, GW Eotn (Im a big fan of the series) and the discovery of Europa Universalies 3 I thank GS for making a big deal out of the demo have made this year for me on this platform. And of course there is a whole line of 9.5's out there this year Q4 alone dragged in a few. And to the people who say PC gaming is dieing lol look at this years results and think about it again.
jdog8888888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jdog8888888

Definatly the big 3 games for me COD4, GW Eotn (Im a big fan of the series) and the discovery of Europa Universalies 3 I thank GS for making a big deal out of the demo have made this year for me on this platform. And of course there is a whole line of 9.5's out there this year Q4 alone dragged in a few. And to the people who say PC gaming is dieing lol look at this years results and think about it again. lucky326

Thats what I am talking about. A new wave of innovation and better things we can do graphically now. How amazing is the average games graphics now?

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
the main reason why we had 3 games hit 9.5 is because they changed the scoring system, meaning they eliminated 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4. so any game that would have received a 9.3 in the past will now most likely get 9.5. other than that, though, i agree - best gaming year, since 2004.
jdog8888888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jdog8888888

the main reason why we had 3 games hit 9.5 is because they changed the scoring system, meaning they eliminated 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4. so any game that would have received a 9.3 in the past will now most likely get 9.5. other than that, though, i agree - best gaming year, since 2004.fireandcloud

What was the big deal on '04?

1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 1nverted
Member since 2006 • 1654 Posts

[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]the main reason why we had 3 games hit 9.5 is because they changed the scoring system, meaning they eliminated 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4. so any game that would have received a 9.3 in the past will now most likely get 9.5. other than that, though, i agree - best gaming year, since 2004.jdog8888888

What was the big deal on '04?

Half Life 2, Doom 3, World of Warcraft just to name a few.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

Supreme Commander

Command and Conquer 3

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

The Orange Box

Call of Duty 4

World in Conflict

The Witcher

Crysis

Gears of War

Bioshock

Lord of the Rings Online

Rainbow Six Vegas

Unreal Tournament 3

Universe at War

DiRT

Overlord

Europa Universalis 3

----------

What did I forget?

RK-Mara

NWN 2 : MoTB - It was a pretty good game, guess many people didn't played it till

CoH : Opposing Fronts