Hype aside, which game will sell more - Witcher 2 or Dragon Age 2?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I'm willing to forego any and all hype - I've pre-ordered both.:P:lol:

But I am interested in how PC gamers here view this. Which game do you think will sell the most?

Discuss.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
I think that The Witcher 2 will sell more on PC, but DA II will sell more overall because it's on all platforms.
noxboxlive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 noxboxlive
Member since 2008 • 5856 Posts
DA 2 bigger fanbase. also TW 2 is on all platforms DA 2 still has a bigger fanbase
Avatar image for DarthBlackAdder
DarthBlackAdder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarthBlackAdder
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

TW2 will probably sell better on PC, but DA2 will sell better overall

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 topsemag55

DA 2 bigger fanbase. also TW 2 is on all platforms DA 2 still has a bigger fanbasenoxboxlive

I'll be surprised if TW2 is not PC-only on the release date. I don't think it will be on another platform right away. I could be wrong, but...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

in the US, DA2 for sure

in Europe...problably DA2 :P But The Witcher 2 might sell more, you never know :D

Both are going to be awesome imo

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Ive preordered both aswell but I'm pretty sure DA2 will sell more.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 topsemag55

Both are going to be awesome imo

mrbojangles25

I agree. Can't wait to start these games.:D

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#9 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Dragon Age2 will sell more i am 90% sure.

Its on 3 systems (PC, xbox and ps3).

If I had to guess though, I would say The Witcher2 will be the better game, but looking forward to them both alot!
Got em both preordered!

Waiting patiently to see if Dragon Age 2 can be as enjoyable to me as Origins was ;)

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 topsemag55

If I had to guess though, I would say The Witcher2 will be the better game, but looking forward to them both alot!
Got em both preordered!

Waiting patiently to see if Dragon Age 2 can be as enjoyable to me as Origins was ;)

kozzy1234

A lot of people will buy Witcher 2 on GoG, and we won't know the numbers. I pre-ordered it on Impulse myself.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Got em both preordered!

topsemag55

A lot of people will buy Witcher 2 on GoG, and we won't know the numbers. I pre-ordered it on Impulse myself.

Yup, not just gog.com but all over the place. Steam, D2D, Impulse, GOG.com,etc..

Nice to see another person supporting Impulse, I love that service.

Thats one thing I always laugh at on this site in system wars is when people say "OMG CONSOLE VERSION SOLD TWICE AS MUCH AS PC VERSION! OMG!". Yeah.. well thats because those numbers that get released for pc are not including the Digital Download sales.

But then when the overall Digital Download sale numbers come out people are like OMG OMG OMG :lol:

Last I saw it was 60% of pc games bought was on Digital Download sites? That number is probably even higher now.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Prexxus

Got em both preordered!

kozzy1234

Actually The Witcher 2 is going to be multi-platform as well.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Got em both preordered!

Prexxus

Actually no its not...

They want to do a console game but there is nothing in development for consoles as far as The Witcher goes.

There was a version beign worked on but they stopped working on it.

You might see a WITCHER game on consoles in a year or two, but consoles ARE NOT getting The Witcher 2 in a few months like PC is.

Want some facts? Well there is no way to preorder the console version of Witcher (you can preorder for PC The Witcher2) right now and they said they are concentrating on The Witcher2 on PC, although they would LIKE to make a game for consoles and that The Witcher series COULD work on consoles. There is no set date for The Witcher or The Witcher2 on consoles though bud sorry.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Dragon Age will sell the most.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 topsemag55

Yup, not just gog.com but all over the place. Steam, D2D, Impulse, GOG.com,etc..

Nice to see another person supporting Impulse, I love that service.

Thats one thing I always laugh at on this site in system wars is when people say "OMG CONSOLE VERSION SOLD TWICE AS MUCH AS PC VERSION! OMG!". Yeah.. well thats because those numbers that get released for pc are not including the Digital Download sales.

But then when the overall Digital Download sale numbers come out people are like OMG OMG OMG :lol:

Last I saw it was 60% of pc games bought was on Digital Download sites? That number is probably even higher now.

kozzy1234

Yup, I like Impulse the same as yourself.

I purchased the original Witcher on it, and what I liked about Impulse was I got roughly 5 or 6 more updates after the EE was released.:D

I agree 100% on what you said about DD sales.:lol:

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

Well I pre-ordered DA2 even tho I hated the demo, it's I just can't say no to Bioware. :P

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Prexxus

[QUOTE="Prexxus"]

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Got em both preordered!

kozzy1234

Actually no its not...

They want to do a console game but there is nothing in development for consoles as far as The Witcher goes.

They've said it multiple times that The Witcher 2's engine was specifically built to support consoles as well. Pretty sure they didn't go through all that trouble to not release it on consoles. And they've repeatedly said they're "not talking about that right now" which we all know means they're planing on releasing it for the consoles sooner or later.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 topsemag55

Well I pre-ordered DA2 even tho I hated the demo, it's I just can't say no to Bioware. :P

Raxzor

I'm not going to dump BioWare over a demo, when most options are locked and you don't have all of the textures files.

BioWare beats Activision - BioWare has never abandoned a game like Activision did with Prototype.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="Prexxus"] Actually The Witcher 2 is going to be multi-platform as well.

Prexxus

Actually no its not...

They've said it multiple times that The Witcher 2's engine was specifically built to support consoles as well. Pretty sure they didn't go through all that trouble to not release it on consoles. And they've repeatedly said they're "not talking about that right now" which we all know means they're planing on releasing it for the consoles sooner or later.

For consoles as of now there is NO WAY to preorder The Witcher1, The Witcher2 or WITCHER CONSOLE VERSION = fact

They want to make a game on consoles and I am sure they will in the future.

Sure itll happen in a few years, weither its a console version of The Witcher or a port we dont know.

Only thing we know forsure is that they WANT to work on consoles but there is no set dates for release, any previews or anything yet.

Hell, I even called EB Games and Walmart for kicks and asked them when THE WITCHER2 for xbox or ps3 is coming out and they said we dont have anything about a game called The Witcher for those systems, just have The Witcher1 for PC and preorder for The Witcher2 on PC that is it.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Dragon Age 2, duh. What with being a heavily advertised multiplatform action-RPG game and all.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Prexxus

[QUOTE="Prexxus"]

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Actually no its not...

kozzy1234

As of now there is NO WAY to preorder The Witcher1, The Witcher2 or WITCHER CONSOLE VERSION = fact

They want to make a game on consoles and I am sure they will in the future, but as of RIGHT NOW there is no set date for release of ANY Witcher games on consoles.

Sure itll happen in a few years, weither its a console version of The Witcher or a port we dont know.

Only thing we know forsure is that they WANT to work on consoles but there is no set dates for release, any previews or anything yet.

Watch and see then :P Mark my words TW2 will be on consoles by the end of this year.
MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

I would say Dragon Age, because even though the Witcher is popular, Bioware is a very very well known company.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 topsemag55

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="Prexxus"] They've said it multiple times that The Witcher 2's engine was specifically built to support consoles as well. Pretty sure they didn't go through all that trouble to not release it on consoles. And they've repeatedly said they're "not talking about that right now" which we all know means they're planing on releasing it for the consoles sooner or later.

Prexxus

As of now there is NO WAY to preorder The Witcher1, The Witcher2 or WITCHER CONSOLE VERSION = fact

They want to make a game on consoles and I am sure they will in the future, but as of RIGHT NOW there is no set date for release of ANY Witcher games on consoles.

Watch and see then :P Mark my words TW2 will be on consoles by the end of this year.

It won't be an easy task on consoles.

On the PC, TW1's main folder is 13.3 GB in size. The intro cinematic alone is half a GB, and runs > 500 fps on the PC.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Prexxus

[QUOTE="Prexxus"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

topsemag55

It won't be an easy task on consoles.

On the PC, TW1's main folder is 13.3 GB in size. The intro cinematic alone is half a GB, and runs > 500 fps on the PC.

Exactly why TW1 could never be on consoles and why TW2 can. It's a brand new engine designed to support this gens consoles.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="Prexxus"] They've said it multiple times that The Witcher 2's engine was specifically built to support consoles as well. Pretty sure they didn't go through all that trouble to not release it on consoles. And they've repeatedly said they're "not talking about that right now" which we all know means they're planing on releasing it for the consoles sooner or later.

Prexxus

I would not bet your house on that.........

I'll say this... within the next 3 years I expect SOME KIND of The Witcher on consoles. Weither its the same game jsut a port or a totally differnt dmbed down versino like Baldurs Gate2 was for consoles remains to be seen.

People said the same thing about ARMA2 coming to consoles last year... it never happened. The company talked about WANTING to bring a ARMA type game to consoles but nothing forsure, they even had some videos of them playing with a xbox360 controller... just like The Witcher2.

Why is it that I can preorder any 2011 game but not The Witcher2 on consoles?

murekkep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 murekkep
Member since 2005 • 758 Posts
Dragon Age 2 probably. Cause it's gonna be multiplatform and it's just a consolized and dumbed down version of DA1.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kozzy1234

Dragon Age 2 probably. Cause it's gonna be multiplatform and it's just a consolized and dumbed down version of DA1. murekkep

Can I have your crystal ball? Thanks! Will save me from buying some bad games in the future!

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#28 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Dragon Age.

By far.

edit - even if we're just considering PC sales.

murekkep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 murekkep
Member since 2005 • 758 Posts

[QUOTE="murekkep"]Dragon Age 2 probably. Cause it's gonna be multiplatform and it's just a consolized and dumbed down version of DA1. kozzy1234

Can I have your crystal ball? Thanks! Will save me from buying some bad games in the future!

This is a prediction not foreseeing. Please stop being so edgy.
evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts
if this is strictly pc the tw2. but overall da2 will probably sell the most because its multiplat
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
If strictly PC version of DA2 vs. Witcher 2, I would say Witcher 2.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Judging by what they did to da2, witcher 2.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#33 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Dragon age purely because bioware is well known and popular. They've released many games, and this is CD Projekt Red's second game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Bioware has a fanbase as rabid as Blizzards. If they crapped in a box it would sell millions on the company name alone. So Dragon Age 2 will be the bigger success.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GeneralShowzer

Bioware has a fanbase as rabid as Blizzards. If they crapped in a box it would sell millions on the company name alone. So Dragon Age 2 will be the bigger success.

Whiteblade999

Not really. Bioware's games are not as successful scaled to the reviews they are getting.

Mass Effect 2 for example sold 1.5 million in two months.

It's out on PS3 now, but it did poorly ( No marketing will do that).

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 topsemag55

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

GeneralShowzer

Not really. Bioware's games are not as successful scaled to the reviews they are getting.

But the problem is the only Digital sales numbers included in that 1.5 million are the ones from the EA Store. We never hear about sales from the major DD websites.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
Dragon Age 2 by far..
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

topsemag55

But the problem is the only Digital sales numbers included in that 1.5 million are the ones from the EA Store. We never hear about sales from the major DD websites.

How do you know that? It says 1.5 million including DD. They probably know how much their game sold on the different portals.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GeneralShowzer
Dragon Age 2 by far..lawlessx
I'm hoping for a surprise here! Games like The Witcher are a prey of piracy.I'm expecting it will get pirated four million times. Around that. Here's hoping it would sell 3 million +!
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
It's hard to put hype aside as that's what typically sells games. I would say Dragon Age 2 overall, but more PC gamers will buy The Witcher 2.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

i bought both...but im gonna say that dragon age 2 is gonna sell more...just cause its from a huge developer and its already bein advertised much more than witcher 2...and frankly...many more people in the ocmmunity liked dragon age better than the witcher...(i liked them both...they are different experiences and i dont compare them too much cause they are very different games even if they are both rpg's)

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#42 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I don't really know how well DA sold on PC. I think Witcher 2 will sell better in Europe but DA2 will sell strongly in North America. Bioware have pretty good marketing but Witcher 2 has been going along nicely. I'm going to go with the Witcher 2!
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#43 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
On the PC, I think The Witcher 2 will sell more. I think it sold something like 1.5 copies, last I heard. Whereas DAO sold less than a million copies by latest account. But they will probably never release the final sales numbers, so who knows. Of course, DA2 will sell more overall because it multiplat, the original sold 4 million copies and the sequel is now customized more for consoles, so I think they can easily break that number.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GeneralShowzer
[QUOTE="Gooeykat"]On the PC, I think The Witcher 2 will sell more. I think it sold something like 1.5 copies, last I heard. Whereas DAO sold less than a million copies by latest account. But they will probably never release the final sales numbers, so who knows. Of course, DA2 will sell more overall because it multiplat, the original sold 4 million copies and the sequel is now customized more for consoles, so I think they can easily break that number.

On what account, do you have the reports, numbers?
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gooeykat

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Got em both preordered!

Prexxus

It's not certain yet, they want to bring it to consoles and if it does well enough on the PC then they will probably port it to consoles. Then we can expect The Witcher 3 to be console exclusive :lol:.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gooeykat

[QUOTE="Gooeykat"]On the PC, I think The Witcher 2 will sell more. I think it sold something like 1.5 copies, last I heard. Whereas DAO sold less than a million copies by latest account. But they will probably never release the final sales numbers, so who knows. Of course, DA2 will sell more overall because it multiplat, the original sold 4 million copies and the sequel is now customized more for consoles, so I think they can easily break that number.GeneralShowzer

I can't find the link, the last official report they gave was that it sold 3.2 million units (console) and Bioware said that it sold 4 million across all systems. So it was assumed that the 800K difference was PC sales. Plus Laidlaw, lead designer on DA2, said it sold far better on consoles, so that is where the focus for DA2 was going to be.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

probably DA 2.:(

Dragon age was bad, DA 2 looks worse.

The Witcher was great, TW 2 looks better.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GeneralShowzer
[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="Gooeykat"]On the PC, I think The Witcher 2 will sell more. I think it sold something like 1.5 copies, last I heard. Whereas DAO sold less than a million copies by latest account. But they will probably never release the final sales numbers, so who knows. Of course, DA2 will sell more overall because it multiplat, the original sold 4 million copies and the sequel is now customized more for consoles, so I think they can easily break that number.Gooeykat

I can't find the link, the last official report they gave was that it sold 3.2 million units (console) and Bioware said that it sold point that the game it sold 4 million across all systems. So it was assumed that the 800K difference was PC sales. Plus Laidlaw, lead designer on DA2, said it sold far better on consoles, so that is where the focus for DA2 was going to be.

The only thing i read is that it shipped 3.2 million on all platforms. I can't really believe it sold that low on PC.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I've pre-ordered both. :P But I imagine Dragon Age 2 will sell more.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] Not really. Bioware's games are not as successful scaled to the reviews they are getting.

GeneralShowzer

How do you know that? It says 1.5 million including DD. They probably know how much their game sold on the different portals.

I've heard some talk in some threads that Valve doesn't talk much about how many of each game they sell. You don't see NPD adding in DD sales either.