How will Counter Strike Global Offensive split the CS community?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

It seems now that there's a pretty good balance between 1.6 users and Source users. Do you guys think CS:GO will severely end one of the pre ex-histing communities? If not hamper it to a near dead state?

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I doubt the 1.6 users would change over. If they wouldn't change for source, why would they change to a game that is even more different from 1.6? Some of the source users will gradually go over, but there's so many people still playing all of them that I doubt it'll have much significant effect.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

1.6's userbase is made of stubborn man-children, don't expect any of them to switch over to GO.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Those people probably really dislike any change to their environment. It's the same game 12 years and they still play the damn thing.

So it won't split anything.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

I don't think the 1.6 people will switch but most source people will get it. I think it looks cool, I may get it.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

Most people that I know and play 1.6 have crappy PC's and even CSS would run bad on it sooo....

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

1.6's userbase is made of stubborn man-children, don't expect any of them to switch over to GO.

Socijalisticka
My reply here goes to all the people with this opinion. I don't see you bashing grandmaster chess players. They've been playing the same game for over a thousand years. A good game doesn't need a monthly fee or to have a new number attached to it every year for people to play it competitively. It just needs to be a really awesome game. Well balanced, and objective gameplay. CS1.6 could be, in my opinion, equal to olympic sports such as archery.

The point is that you are being ignorant if you think people who play CS are somehow "manchildren" or need to stop playing an old classic. You just have no idea what makes a game really good. You probably think pretty graphics are the key to a good game, and you can't be farther from the truth. Do some research on why Chess is the most successful game ever created, then come back here and explain why people continue to play good games for centuries/millenia after they are created.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Only the source people will move, I want to try the game as will everyone even the 1.6 people. I wonder if this game has a tier system if it does I might play it. I get tired of playing with super noobs and just owning 24/7 in CSS.

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

I get tired of playing with super noobs and just owning 24/7 in CSS.

JigglyWiggly_

I get tired of playing with super Pro's and just getting owned 24/7 in CSS

:P

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

lil_d_mack_314

They all use the AWP. :(
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lil_d_mack_314
[QUOTE="lil_d_mack_314"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

Steameffekt

The servers I usually play on have it off. Just sucks how some one will turn a corner and head shot me before I can finish blinking.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

SKaREO

My reply here goes to all the people with this opinion. I don't see you bashing grandmaster chess players. They've been playing the same game for over a thousand years. A good game doesn't need a monthly fee or to have a new number attached to it every year for people to play it competitively. It just needs to be a really awesome game. Well balanced, and objective gameplay. CS1.6 could be, in my opinion, equal to olympic sports such as archery.

The point is that you are being ignorant if you think people who play CS are somehow "manchildren" or need to stop playing an old classic. You just have no idea what makes a game really good. You probably think pretty graphics are the key to a good game, and you can't be farther from the truth. Do some research on why Chess is the most successful game ever created, then come back here and explain why people continue to play good games for centuries/millenia after they are created.

I agree, but chess is not the best analogy. After all, chess doesn't get new iterations every couple of years. It is a static game, administered by no company.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="lil_d_mack_314"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

Steameffekt

doesn't matter what weapon they (the pros) use, one molecule of your skin could stick out and they could snipe it from 400m away, while facing away from it :P
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lil_d_mack_314

[QUOTE="Steameffekt"][QUOTE="lil_d_mack_314"]

wis3boi

doesn't matter what weapon they (the pros) use, one molecule of your skin could stick out and they could snipe it from 400m away, while facing away from it :P

:lol: Yeh. I'll be watching a bomb sight with my head half way around a corner and splat...SPLAT! ever single time. This never happened on console :cry:. Tho I'm slowly getting better CS:GO will be a "fresh" start for me.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I don't think 1.6's community will change, since they didn't change for Source they won't change for GO.

I can see Source's community changing too much, but mostly I think GO will be another CS game for CS fans to enjoy alongside CSS, and will also be a great way for new players to get into it on consoles and who haven't ben big CS players before.

I haven't had a lot of time on CSS, but CS: GO will probably have my interest more since I won't feel like I got into it late and feel like I have a bunch of other stuff I could play with my friends.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="Steameffekt"] They all use the AWP. :(lil_d_mack_314

:lol: Yeh. I'll be watching a bomb sight with my head half way around a corner and splat...SPLAT! ever single time. This never happened on console :cry:. Tho I'm slowly getting better CS:GO will be a "fresh" start for me.

I used to awp a lot and am very good at it until I realized it is gets boring after a while. So I just usually use m4, ak, mp5 or p90. Works nicely along with the p228. Awpers great weakness is p90 btw.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Socijalisticka

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

SKaREO

The fact that you're even referring to chess is laughable. All I hear from 1.6 players is pathetic elitism for a game not worthy of such praise. If you seek a skillful FPS, go play Quake live.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

Socijalisticka

The fact that you're even referring to chess is laughable. All I hear from 1.6 players is pathetic elitism for a game not worthy of such praise. If you seek a skillful FPS, go play Quake live.

I think he is comparing it to chess as in how it's a great game doesn't matter how old it is, not that it requires the same skill set.

To skaero assuming you haven't play ql

QL takes much more skill than cs 1.6 because it actually requires chess skills for duels. And the aiming in QL is much more consistent than CS 1.6 which is another huge difference, by that you have to keep aiming, not just get lucky for a bit... and the movement plays like a platformer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T6IAHWMd2I well these aren't stock physics, but similarish.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Socijalisticka

I think he is comparing it to chess as in how it's a great game doesn't matter how old it is, not that it requires the same skill set.

JigglyWiggly_

Yes I know, I just don't believe 1.6 would fall under such a category.

Vlaimir_Lem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Vlaimir_Lem86
Member since 2006 • 439 Posts

Most people that I know and play 1.6 have crappy PC's and even CSS would run bad on it sooo....

Silicel1
lol... no. people who play 1.6 play it because of personal preference. I still play it, nearly everyday, and my PC isnt "crappy". For those hating on 1.6 players, why? 1.6 doesn't change every couple months (lul @ CSS's sept 15th patch), hitboxes are dead on, and a CONSISTENT community. Not to mention 2/3 of all CSS servers are either gungame, deathmatch, or zombies. If i didnt have static clan servers for CSS, i wouldnt play it. Regardless, i play them both. As for the OP, i dont see it changing anything.
GuitarPAaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 GuitarPAaron
Member since 2006 • 1368 Posts
[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

SKaREO

I played both 1.6 and source the other day and I had significantly more fun playing 1.6. It's a matter of preference really.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="Silicel1"]

Vlaimir_Lem86
lol... no. people who play 1.6 play it because of personal preference. I still play it, nearly everyday, and my PC isnt "crappy". For those hating on 1.6 players, why? 1.6 doesn't change every couple months (lul @ CSS's sept 15th patch), hitboxes are dead on, and a CONSISTENT community. Not to mention 2/3 of all CSS servers are either gungame, deathmatch, or zombies. If i didnt have static clan servers for CSS, i wouldnt play it. Regardless, i play them both. As for the OP, i dont see it changing anything.

Related to the "crappy pc" comment: my buddy still plays Day of Defeat (the original) with a dedicated clan and refuses to play the more popular source version of the game. Most of them are runnign windows 98/2000 and using geforce mx440s or worse. There's a ton of really really ancient PC crowds hanging around those games.