How to make PS2 Games look good on HDTV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chatri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 chatri10
Member since 2002 • 752 Posts
PS2 games  look horrible on HDTV. I do not have SDTV anymore and only have HDTV at home. Is there anyway to make PS2 games look good on HDTV? 
Working_Stiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Working_Stiff
Member since 2004 • 2253 Posts
As Im sure many other people will tell you, pick up a $15 component cable. It wont make it perfect, but it will help. you can also adjust your TV (put it in 4:3 mode) or if the game supports progressive scan and 16:9 mode, change to those.
chatri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chatri10
I have a component cable and S-video cable. I also try playing it on PS3 and that's even worst. I hope PS3 will come out with some Anti-Aliasing for PS2 games. I might try lowering my TV sharpness tonight. Hope it work.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I have a component cable and S-video cable. I also try playing it on PS3 and that's even worst. I hope PS3 will come out with some Anti-Aliasing for PS2 games. I might try lowering my TV sharpness tonight. Hope it work.chatri10
I hear you... I have the same problem. Tenchu is so blurry I can't even play it anymore.
snakeofsolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 snakeofsolid
Member since 2005 • 2140 Posts
component cables help dramtically, they did for me, even if the games dont support progressive scan, if they do it makes it even better, more jaggies but crisper and more saturated images. i dunno if it will do this to your HDTV, but if a game supports progressive scan and you turn it on, the size of the frame shrinks a little and you see small black bars on the sides.
Avatar image for XboxUnderground
XboxUnderground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XboxUnderground
Member since 2003 • 20965 Posts
I have a component cable and S-video cable. I also try playing it on PS3 and that's even worst. I hope PS3 will come out with some Anti-Aliasing for PS2 games. I might try lowering my TV sharpness tonight. Hope it work.chatri10
Sony already released a patch that fixes the buggy BC graphics on PS2 games just like last month and there's no way to make them look good on an HDTV The games look bad enough @ their native res, having that blown up will only make it disgusting
Working_Stiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Working_Stiff

[QUOTE="chatri10"]I have a component cable and S-video cable. I also try playing it on PS3 and that's even worst. I hope PS3 will come out with some Anti-Aliasing for PS2 games. I might try lowering my TV sharpness tonight. Hope it work.XboxUnderground
Sony already released a patch that fixes the buggy BC graphics on PS2 games just like last month and there's no way to make them look good on an HDTV The games look bad enough @ their native res, having that blown up will only make it disgusting

I heard that Sony was patching the PS3 but I haven't heard how well it worked out? Have you or anyone else tried the BC with a patched PS3 and how did it look?

Also, one other thing to remember, not only does the PS2 look bad in HD, but the issues tend to be even more exagerated because most times someone upgrades to HD, they are also upgrading the size of their screen. If you looked at a PS2 game on a 13" SDTV and then looked at it on a 37" SDTV, you would notice more jaggies.

chatri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chatri10
The new PS3 patch did make some PS2 game look better like FFXII look good now, I guess because it support wide screen. I'm play Rogue Galaxy right now and it still look bad on PS3; I think it look better on the PS2 because it's a little blurry. Using the PS3 does make the color nice, crisp and sharp but the jaggies just annoy me a bit. I guess there's no way to fix this unless there's an anti-aliasing for the next PS3 patch.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

The quality of 480i signal games (like PS2 games) on an HDTV is greatly determined by exactly what -kind- of HDTV you have. The types of sets that will generally look the worst are going to be fixed resolution HD sets with a low native resolution (like many plasmas). Next best will be 720p or 1366x768 native fixed res displays (most LCDs, DLPs, and some plasmas) . Next best will be 1080p sets as the higher resolution sets tend to scale better. Then finally the best quality sets for displaying older signals will be non-native resolution displays like CRT or CRT-RP HDTVs (although these are not ideal for PS3 owners because most all lack the ability to display 720p).

-Byshop

Working_Stiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Working_Stiff

The quality of 480i signal games (like PS2 games) on an HDTV is greatly determined by exactly what -kind- of HDTV you have. The types of sets that will generally look the worst are going to be fixed resolution HD sets with a low native resolution (like many plasmas). Next best will be 720p or 1366x768 native fixed res displays (most LCDs, DLPs, and some plasmas) . Next best will be 1080p sets as the higher resolution sets tend to scale better. Then finally the best quality sets for displaying older signals will be non-native resolution displays like CRT or CRT-RP HDTVs (although these are not ideal for PS3 owners because most all lack the ability to display 720p).

-Byshop

Byshop

HD CRT's can't display 720p? Is there something wierd with their design where they just can't display 720p but can display other HD Res. or do they only go up to 780i ( because isn't 480p really not HDTV?)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Byshop  Moderator

HD CRT's can't display 720p? Is there something wierd with their design where they just can't display 720p but can display other HD Res. or do they only go up to 780i ( because isn't 480p really not HDTV?)

Working_Stiff

I honestly don't have an explination for -why- this is, but it's the case sadly. Early model CRT-HDTVs weren't progressive scan and only offered 480i and 1080i. 480p support was added with later models, but 720p support was not. Newer models will take 720p signals, but will either upscale the signal to 1080i or downscale to 480p. While I'm certain there are probably -some- models of CRTs that can display 720p, the vast majority of them do not.

This is why the PS3's lack of upscaling ability is an issue. 720p native games cannot upscale to 1080i on the PS3, so if you have a CRT-HD set that doesn't take 720p (or downscales 720p signals) then you are forced to play games in 480p.

-Byshop

Avatar image for oldschoolplayer
oldschoolplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 oldschoolplayer
Member since 2006 • 1010 Posts
[QUOTE="Working_Stiff"]

Byshop

I honestly don't have an explination for -why- this is, but it's the case sadly. Early model CRT-HDTVs weren't progressive scan and only offered 480i and 1080i. 480p support was added with later models, but 720p support was not. Newer models will take 720p signals, but will either upscale the signal to 1080i or downscale to 480p. While I'm certain there are probably -some- models of CRTs that can display 720p, the vast majority of them do not.

This is why the PS3's lack of upscaling ability is an issue. 720p native games cannot upscale to 1080i on the PS3, so if you have a CRT-HD set that doesn't take 720p (or downscales 720p signals) then you are forced to play games in 480p.

-Byshop

Listen to this man. From everything I have researched he is spot on.  Component Cables do help on a CRTRP TV even it is not progressive scan.  Almost to the point of say regular RCA cables on a 19" inch TV but remember your image is now 50 to 60".  I personally can accept the slight downgrade in picture quality to play on a 60" inch tv.  For example I changed rooms today with my PS2 as I am getting a 360 at the end of next week and dont want my PS2 on my big screen HD anymore.  The picture was a little crisper but I did not think for one minute it was "that" much better.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Byshop  Moderator

If you do have to play older games on a fixed res set, you are better off playing on a 1080p set if possible. Part of the reason older system titles look poor on modern HDTVs (aside from the massive screen size difference for most people) is the fact that fixed resolution displays do not evenly scale. This isn't specifically a size issue, but rather a resolution problem. A CRT display can display a true 640x480i signal across it's screen, but fixed resolution displays like LCD, Plasma, LCoS and DLP have to display in their native resolution.

With a 720p set, the native resolution of the set is 1280x720 or 1366x768 for overscan. This is the number of horizontal versus verticle pixels in the display (with a pixel being the samllest single unit of color). If your original signal is 640x480 and you are scaling that to 1280x720 you run into a problem. 1280 / 640 = 2, which means that in order to scale you have to have two pixels the same color horizontally for each one pixel on the original signal. Vertically 720 / 480 = 1.5, whcih means that for every one pixel of color on the original image you have 1 and a half pixels on the new display.

Say you have one green pixel and one red pixel side by side in the original signal. When you display that on the new display you are stretching those two pixels across three. The first pixel will be green and the third will be red, but the second pixel has to be assigned. It can be either green or red, but since it's 1.5 pixels to every one neither red nor green are techincally correct. The only right answer would be to split the pixel down the middle, but that's not possible since a pixel can only be one color. This is what results in image distortion when using a fixed resolution display.

On a 1080p display, 1920 / 640 = 3 and 1080 / 480 = 2.25. Horizontally it scales evenly and vertically you only have one extra pixel for every 4 instead of for every 2, so the image distortion is not as bad.

In addition to what I'm describing, many TVs have intelligent software for scaling that will use techniques to try to minimize the impact of displaying a 480i signal on a fixed resolution display. For example, to deal with the aspect ratio difference many TVs will keep the orginal aspect in the middle of the display (on the focal point) while progressively stretching the image more and more as it approaches the horizontal edges.

-Byshop

korpdawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 korpdawg
Member since 2003 • 1018 Posts

On my 32" LCD HDtv ps2 games look fine in 4:3 aspect resolution.  Even when the options in game are turned to widescreen and the system config output is 16:9

Its blurry on every setting but 4:3

Working_Stiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Working_Stiff
[QUOTE="Working_Stiff"]

Byshop

-Byshop

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

SolidusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidusRex
Member since 2004 • 222 Posts
PS2 games look horrible on HDTV. I do not have SDTV anymore and only have HDTV at home. Is there anyway to make PS2 games look good on HDTV?
chatri10
Which HDTV do you own?