How to install Steam on Windows 8?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gamerperson33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamerperson33
Member since 2011 • 557 Posts
I just installed Windows 8 last night, and today I was trying to install Steam from their website. However, it kept me giving me a .deb file. I thought that was only meant for Linux? How do I open Steam on Windows 8? Sorry for the noobish question.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
http://store.steampowered.com/about/ .deb is for linux I hit download and it gives me a msi file, which ofc is for windows. You have to click linux to get the deb.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I just installed Windows 8 last night, and today I was trying to install Steam from their website. However, it kept me giving me a .deb file. I thought that was only meant for Linux? How do I open Steam on Windows 8? Sorry for the noobish question.Gamerperson33
Windows 8 isn't officially supported by Steam. So you're likely experiencing compatibility issues.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="Gamerperson33"]I just installed Windows 8 last night, and today I was trying to install Steam from their website. However, it kept me giving me a .deb file. I thought that was only meant for Linux? How do I open Steam on Windows 8? Sorry for the noobish question.Treflis
Windows 8 isn't officially supported by Steam. So you're likely experiencing compatibility issues.

steam and windows 8 work fine i have windows 8 on my laptop
Gamerperson33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gamerperson33
Member since 2011 • 557 Posts
[QUOTE="Gamerperson33"]I just installed Windows 8 last night, and today I was trying to install Steam from their website. However, it kept me giving me a .deb file. I thought that was only meant for Linux? How do I open Steam on Windows 8? Sorry for the noobish question.Treflis

I clicked download again and it gave me the right one this time. Thank god haha. Thanks though, problem solved I think. :P
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#6 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Why do people start a question with "how to?"

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

-Unreal-
Because it's shorter then "How do I".
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

-Unreal-
Why is that an issue? Anyway, I have Windows 8 and Steam Installed on my laptop. There IS a compatibility issue. As many may say Windows 8 is very much a touch OS and while Im very used to it now, it DOES have a learning curve. Anyway, I was having issues with Steam being a bit of a lag fest when I first got the laptop but have since solved the issue by running it in Compatibility Mode with Windows 7 as the chosen OS. Its now runs smoothly and I can play my games without problems either. Steam does complain about not running it in Compatibility Mode when you first perform the action but when you tell it to shut up and go away it never complains again.
-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

-Unreal-

Idk if you've noticed but people put zero effort into the titles when they post on this forum lol.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

-Unreal-

You knew what he meant, so why does it matter?

tonyhaug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tonyhaug
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I recently purchased a computer with i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 750 MB HD,Windows 8 Pro, Nvidea GTX 680m 4GB, etc. I installed Steam and several games. Every time I tried to run a Steam game my computer crashed. I returned the computer to the manufacturer and they sent me a new one. Same problem again after installing Steam. I am returning computer a second time and they are refunding my money. Question: is the problem with Windows 8, Steam, or the computer??

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

I recently purchased a computer with i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 750 MB HD,Windows 8 Pro, Nvidea GTX 680m 4GB, etc. I installed Steam and several games. Every time I tried to run a Steam game my computer crashed. I returned the computer to the manufacturer and they sent me a new one. Same problem again after installing Steam. I am returning computer a second time and they are refunding my money. Question: is the problem with Windows 8, Steam, or the computer??

tonyhaug
Steam starts to chug hard in Win8 unless you put in Compatibility mode for Windows 7. Do that and it should be fine. They havent fixed the kinks I think. Do that and see what happens.
walterg74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 walterg74
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts

tonyhaug
None of those, the problem is you...
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Steam works perfectly on Windows 8, just as well as Windows 7.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Are you sure that you install the Windows version?

Actually, you should stick with Windows 7.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

-Unreal-
Yeah I agree. I came in expecting instructions on how to install it as if there was something different than installing it on Windows 7.
demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
I have no idea what these people are talking about. Steam works in Win8 just like it does in Win7. Seems the op tried to install Linux version rather than windows. That's the problem right there!
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Windows 8 is for Angry Birds gamers and people who prefer a tablet over a smartphone because they are anti-social. Regardless, Steam won't support that garbage.
Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

I don't understand users having problems with Steam under Windows 8.  I built my own machine, installed Windows 8 64-bit edition and installed Steam on the same day.  I had no problem installing from the website either.  I did install Steam app from Steam's website using Internet Explorer, perhaps that makes a difference?

Anyhow, Steam runs fine on my Windows 8 PC, and so do all of my games.  Also my Steam is not using any compatibility settings, it works perfectly fine in Windows 8 without changing any of the settings.