How much violence is too much violence for you?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

serieus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 serieus
Member since 2006 • 117 Posts

Honestly, I love playing FPS games, and I love the rag doll physics that have been implemented for the last few years and I love seeing the blood spurts on the wall as I shoot my enemy next to a wall and all that good stuff. Maybe I'm morbid, but my perogative right? But how much is too much?

I for one would love to never see a child used as an enemy or a target in a FPS, at least they haven't done that yet. But how far is too far for you?

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
No such thing as too far when it comes to violence. I love over the top death animations where someone's head gets chopped off and a little fountain of blood spurts out of his neck. And being able to cut off limbs should be in every game. I remember playing SoF and Die By The Sword the first time and thinking that from now on EVERY game would have similar gore, I was dissapointed to find out that's not the case.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
...manhunt?
kem2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kem2000
Member since 2003 • 117 Posts

This is a hard question really, i mean if it we're for filmsthen it would be a lot easier, but for me i dont really think any game has reached a level of violence that I have deemed too much...

I just dont find violence in games as shocking in films, and until we get extremely photo realisic graphics i dont think i ever will. I mean, sure they can be as emotional as films, but they never feel as violent even if they are a hell of a lot more so...

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

personally, i have no upper limit on condition that it makes sense within the game environment - a game called schoolyard slaughter where the purpose of the game is to kill as many children as possible as quickly as possible - no way, that's right out... but a game where, as an example, enemy AI is able to take hostages and/or human shields, and children exist in this realistic, real-world envrionment, and ifi'm then placed in a situation where i can get these badguys - at the potential risk of innocent child life, i'd be fine with that

i think nothing is too edgy provided it serves a realistic purpose in a realistic context... i have read that children have been used as soldiers in civil wars in various african countries - farcry 2 could feature children, not where the purpose is killing children for your pleasure (though this is certainly what the media would focus on), but rather to further a story of the horrific things people will do... i'm sure film and television has more than covered it, why not game?

it also helps create a more immersive gaming environment... if i'm playing a game where i can take a shotgun to someone's face, is it then somehow wrong that the head explodes in a mass of blood, bone and brain matter? should a rainbow come out instead? i'd still be blowing someone's head off... people seem to be fine with "childish fantasy violence" (see the opening war sequence of the TMNT movie), but as soon as you throw in blood, limbs - i.e. make it realistic, it becomes frowned upon

so it's really not, how much violence is too much for you, it suddenly becomes, how much reality is too realistic for you?

contextual, realistic, and purposeful - and i see no reason to censor violence in entertainment...of course, i say this as an englishman, and we have slightly stricter (i would say much better) systems for selling violent games to younger people

Judza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Judza
Member since 2004 • 4637 Posts

Soldier of Fortune 2/Manhunt.

Can take those two. Depends on the context of the violence.

The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts
dont forget postal...
BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts
I prefer realistic violence. So gibbing almost never happends, unless the victim is hit by explosives. Than it might take of a leg or arm. That way when you actually happen to see a body with a leg or arm taken of, you will go "Woah". In games with over the top violence you'll just get used to it. But mostly I don't care, really. Neutralize the enemy and move on to the next one, the rest is not important. :P
Storm-63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Storm-63
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

How much is to much? no such thing imo,If some one thinks a style of game has to much violence they dont have to play it.

And I want to extend a BIG!!!!!! middle FINGER to those that blame violence/kids bringing guns to schools etc on video games

And look at the parenting skills or lack there of.

Smoke89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Smoke89
Member since 2003 • 3575 Posts
If a game ever makes me cringe or want to look away like any SAW movie then it will have gone too far, but it will also have to be almost photo realistic. Games such as postal are just good clean fun.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I will endure violence to a point. Mindless violence (like GTA/Postal), I won't play at all. Bioshock has an interesting storyline so it keeps me entertained. CS:S is a good midpoint for me. Its not too violent, but anything more needs to have a reason. I don't blame people for thinking that video games cause violence (cause they are probably right), but they need to look at the parents who let those kids play those games. I will say that I don't think Postal, or games like it, should be on the market.
AJMFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AJMFace
Member since 2003 • 129 Posts
When the violence in the game causes me to bleed in real life.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

No such thing as too far when it comes to violence. I love over the top death animations where someone's head gets chopped off and a little fountain of blood spurts out of his neck. And being able to cut off limbs should be in every game. I remember playing SoF and Die By The Sword the first time and thinking that from now on EVERY game would have similar gore, I was dissapointed to find out that's not the case.EntwineX

word bro!

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
we need to separate violence and gore. they're not the same thing. violence would be like someone clubbing another person to death. but gore would add blood and brain bits spewing from the hits. i think most don't mind the violence. it's the gore and the blood and the chunks that get to them. as for me, i'm fine with them all, no matter how much. but it's more immersive when things are 'realistic', and more immersive means more fun for me.
mattpunkgd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattpunkgd
Member since 2007 • 2198 Posts
Um how much violence is too much for me? Well probly so much violence that my head explodes.
Deus_Ex_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Deus_Ex_Fan
Member since 2006 • 625 Posts

Personally, nothing in a game can match the horrors of real life death. You're not going to see the actual death scenes (as it's boring, as folks don't die like in games). You won't smell death (which will make 3/4 of the players outright stop playing, no matter how morbid they are). And you have no personal attachment to the victim (Deus Ex did try to make you feel for the characters, both friendly and the enemy though).

Not until the distributors really grow up with AO (18+) games, will it be too much violence for me (seen all I've ever needed to see of horrors of death).

But I would prefer games that was more realistic than just with how many blood splatters, and meat puppets they can squeeze in a scene (let alone cuss words) and play more on the emotions -- that you gave a damn about someone you killed. Some consequences for actions that have a more real feeling, than just the run and gun blood fests. That would make the violence more real, and make folks think hard how far does pushing the envelope needs to go for "fun"?

Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts

I guess I agree with the guy who said that context matters. That being said, I think themindless, over-the-top violence that we see nowadays in games has been villified by just about everyone for no apparent reason. I used to laugh my ass off playing Goldeneye on rocket mode onthe N64. Watching soviet soldiers go flying over my head, defying all laws of nature and physics was hilarious. Hell, I was only 8 or 9 at the time, and I'd say I turned out alright. We've reached a point in games where even children realize that it's nothing like the real world. I remember being about 12 watching somebody playing Vice City and just laughing at how people honestly thought that I would be somehow affected by it. watching someone's head disappear and be replaced with a thin geyser of blood was so surreal and cartoonish that I couldn't help but laugh at the people talking about "realistic violence."

osleyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osleyee
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts

violence is internacional is human nature as animals as well.i agree with you to much violence in video games look at gear of warmanhunt 2 and many others do not think wrong of me i love seing blood when i play mature games they are some m rate games that areawsomeseing enemy in the ground with blood around his body etc is aweome but i think that the industry needs to be more creative and make interesting things as well not only fucus in violence but in others gre s try something unique.

ArabSolja99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ArabSolja99
Member since 2006 • 1630 Posts

I never, ever want to see violence to children whatsoever in video games. It is just disgusting.

That is the point where i would probably quit playing videogames, when the market becomes corrupt.

Synthesis36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Synthesis36
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts
Like harvesting the little girls on bioshock?^^
END3R330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 END3R330
Member since 2006 • 401 Posts
right now nothing really. what would take it too far is a game that has you kill thousands of innocent people for no reason at all with photo realistic graphics and physics. that would be dangerous. im talking like a GTA game with incredible graphics where you just kill everything, kinda like what i could see one ofthe columbine kids playing. i have no problem with photo realistic military shooters. if you made battlefield 2 look absolutley real it might make me feel weird playing it but it would not be taking it too far. its not so much the violence as the way in which it is used.
bmaisey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bmaisey
Member since 2004 • 324 Posts

None. Quite simply, games are not real life, graphics are still not quite realistic, and most things you get to kill do not exactly have 'realistic' behaviour (most ai isnt that good yet), so its too easy to discriminate.

Thats not to say i dont care about characters in games (even sometimes i feel bad about killing certain people) but i dont care how violent it is.

Allan225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Allan225
Member since 2007 • 308 Posts
It is for me cause in Bioshock I rescued all the Little Sisters I didn't want to kill them just for a little more Adam.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
everything above, or on the same level of violence as Postal is too much IMO.

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
i can take anything, never been sqeamish and whenever those surgery show come on TV i love 'em. i mean its natural, so yeah... violence :) but only when its nessecary, like in FPS as you said, but platformers? naw no violence.
chuckleechuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chuckleechuck
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

I will endure violence to a point. Mindless violence (like GTA/Postal), I won't play at all. Bioshock has an interesting storyline so it keeps me entertained. CS:S is a good midpoint for me. Its not too violent, but anything more needs to have a reason.

GTA is a dynamic game, where you complete missions to progress through the storyline. You are free to do what you want in GTA, I.E. steal cars, kill people, eat, have sex, kill people. But it IS a mission driven game, and has a great storyline.

CSS is a multiplay game, as well as a boring and short singleplayer game, that consists of many rounds of killing your oppenent or planting bombs to blow S*** up. CSS isn't "not too violent". The ragdoll physics are amazingly real with blood clinging to the wall as you spray off an ak-47. You can even shoot them while they're dead on the ground and you can play with there dead body, as blood squirts out as you shoot. There is no storyline at all, only objectives that lets you kill, and kill some more.

Both games are capable of "mindless violence".

Shrodinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Shrodinger
Member since 2005 • 994 Posts

What I am pretty sure that most people don't pause to think about is the fact that any FPS is as violent as any other FPS, the only thing that changes is the level/detail of blood/gore.

For example. Call of Duty 2. Awesome game. really violent, but not much blood. Brothers in Arms. Really violent. Moderate blood and gore. T rating Versus M rating.

Another example. Soldier Of Fortune 2. Shooting terrorists. ZOMG!!!! I just shot that guys head into pieces!!!!

007:Nightfire. Shooting terrorists. Well, he is dead now. (No blood). T versus M rating.

Only difference is teh blood and guts.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts
Thereason why we have this thing called entertainment in our world is so we can take in these things without feeling too shameful about it. Animated violence never digusts me, but my limit is when I see these things for real, so live-action gore is just sick.
Avatar image for LagAssassinVash
LagAssassinVash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LagAssassinVash
Member since 2004 • 123 Posts

Too much is when we start agreeing with Jack Tompson....

Like that'l ever happen. I hope.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

GTA is a dynamic game, where you complete missions to progress through the storyline. You are free to do what you want in GTA, I.E. steal cars, kill people, eat, have sex, kill people. But it IS a mission driven game, and has a great storyline.

CSS is a multiplay game, as well as a boring and short singleplayer game, that consists of many rounds of killing your oppenent or planting bombs to blow S*** up. CSS isn't "not too violent". The ragdoll physics are amazingly real with blood clinging to the wall as you spray off an ak-47. You can even shoot them while they're dead on the ground and you can play with there dead body, as blood squirts out as you shoot. There is no storyline at all, only objectives that lets you kill, and kill some more.

Both games are capable of "mindless violence".

chuckleechuck

It depends on your definition of violence. I think beating people to death with your bare hands, bats, or cutting them in half with a chainsaw is much worse than shooting somone. The blood splattered walls aren't nearlly as bad as people having their heads fall off and being kicked until theres no blood left. Story Driven missions don't keep you from walking around murdering innocent pedestrians because you see it as fun. Besides if that isn't enough, I said its a "good midpoint for me" its certainly not as violent as GTA or Postal in my eyes.

CS:S is multiplayer so its competitive (you are playing other people). GTA is singleplayer (so you are murdering because you like to).

baal46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 baal46
Member since 2004 • 663 Posts

In my opinion, violence in video games should not be regulated, AT ALL. I do, however, believe they should be rated according to their content. This allows the market to decide what is too much for each individual, while leaving developers the freedom to use expressions of violence as warranted for realism or storyline.

Max Payne is a good example, in the scene where Max finds his wife on the bed, covered in blood with about 10 bullet holes in her stomach. That really made an impact on the player and gave you an idea of what Max must have been going through.

I would imagine pointless, gratuitous, and disgusting violence just wouldn't sell very well. Whereas realistic and meaningful violence can definitely add something to the game experience.

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts

In my opinion, violence in video games should not be regulated, AT ALL. I do, however, believe they should be rated according to their content. This allows the market to decide what is too much for each individual, while leaving developers the freedom to use expressions of violence as warranted for realism or storyline.

Max Payne is a good example, in the scene where Max finds his wife on the bed, covered in blood with about 10 bullet holes in her stomach. That really made an impact on the player and gave you an idea of what Max must have been going through.

I would imagine pointless, gratuitous, and disgusting violence just wouldn't sell very well. Whereas realistic and meaningful violence can definitely add something to the game experience.

baal46

Well spoke, I couldn't have said it better myself.

DrDoomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DrDoomed
Member since 2003 • 11386 Posts
When it's needless without any purpose other than ultra violence. Like if a game was purely about rally driving but after winning a race to celebrate you go around torturing and killing pregnant women with a broken axel and some WD40.
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts

When it's needless without any purpose other than ultra violence. Like if a game was purely about rally driving but after winning a race to celebrate you go around torturing and killing pregnant women with a broken axel and some WD40.DrDoomed

I can agree with that. Violence in video games is all about the context of the game. I expect war games and shooters to have blood.

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36 gfile
Member since 2007 • 1565 Posts

Honestly, I love playing FPS games, and I love the rag doll physics that have been implemented for the last few years and I love seeing the blood spurts on the wall as I shoot my enemy next to a wall and all that good stuff. Maybe I'm morbid, but my perogative right? But how much is too much?

I for one would love to never see a child used as an enemy or a target in a FPS, at least they haven't done that yet. But how far is too far for you?

serieus

My child has stab his teacher in da school, and i tell him "good for you", "thats my baby",he is playing SOF!!8)

Just kidin:lol:, reality in games not real life, please!

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts

I don't care what type of violence is in a game as long as I have the choice not to engage in the things I dislike. For example in Manghunt, there was an execution with a hook where it looked like Cash was digging it into the dude's junk and ripping it. Ugh, that was nasty...actually I still used that execution a lot but at least I had the option of doing something else.

chessboxer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38 chessboxer1
Member since 2004 • 953 Posts

[QUOTE="EntwineX"]No such thing as too far when it comes to violence. I love over the top death animations where someone's head gets chopped off and a little fountain of blood spurts out of his neck. And being able to cut off limbs should be in every game. I remember playing SoF and Die By The Sword the first time and thinking that from now on EVERY game would have similar gore, I was dissapointed to find out that's not the case.Forerunner-117

word bro!

Don't be stealing my sig Forerunner-117 make your own!

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts
It's fictional...there can't be too much.
rudyroundhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rudyroundhead
Member since 2003 • 9612 Posts
No such thing as too much violence for me in games with the exception of stuff like rape. To me that's just sick and serves no real purpose. As for children as enemies, I was trying to kill alma in F.E.A.R every chance I could and I think there were little evil ghost kids that it was in your best interest to kill quickly in PREY.
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
only when it happens to the innocent
darkface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 darkface
Member since 2004 • 5966 Posts
Although it wouldnt particulary anger/disgust me (it's just a game after all), I still wouldnt buy a game that involves violence that is sexually explicit.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
deactivated-5f5404ad8217e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts
totuering random, or innocent people. is when it start to go to far
Kolossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kolossi
Member since 2007 • 789 Posts

Well, lets say I dont like sosiopathic violence, e.g. someone starts to have fun with someones guts or stuff like that. Also, violence that target youngsters or pet animals(dogs, cats, rodents) is also a bit too much for me.

Overall, with normal, or a bit over it, I can go with.

Wolf-Man2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Wolf-Man2006
Member since 2006 • 4187 Posts
Personally, I can't take Soldier of Fortune 2, God of War, Postel, Manhunt, etc. I like games, but I mostly go for gameplay rather than gore and so on.
spgmaple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 spgmaple
Member since 2005 • 135 Posts
Gears of war and God of War 1-2 are perfect for me. Anything over and it's just gratuitous
dbrinto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dbrinto
Member since 2005 • 139 Posts

sexual abuse and any kind of tortureis way too violent for me. And violence where kids are involved I think is inappropriate. Yes that stuff does happen in real life (unfortunately) but I'm not playing a game to get a dose of the darker side of life, I'm playing a game to have fun.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
i can't take the anime where people explode in to blood thats just not nice
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

sexual abuse and any kind of tortureis way too violent for me. And violence where kids are involved I think is inappropriate. Yes that stuff does happen in real life (unfortunately) but I'm not playing a game to get a dose of the darker side of life, I'm playing a game to have fun.

dbrinto

well said!

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts

I don't mind violence and sex in my games, as long as they are done in a meaningful, artful manner. When you get to the point where you are just going over the top and having violence for the sake of violence then it's not ok with me. You know, like being able to jump into the air and tear the wings off that harpy and then slash the sucker while it writhes in pain and bleeds to death on the ground, or chainsaw your enemy in half, or being able to gouge out your enemies eyes and cut, or decapitate them with scissors, or rape them, or stab them to death with dirty needles, or torture them. I'm talking about games like Postal, Gears of War, Manhunt and God of War (yes God of War fanbois, put down your knives and pitchforks and torches, please) here. These titles go over the top and allow you to do insanely awful violent things to your enemies, which is just unnecessary and uncalled for. They aren't smart. They aren't funny, and they aren't artful. They are gratuitus and unnecessary.