How much performance hit does DirectX give?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DJP3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DJP3000
Member since 2010 • 293 Posts

I read an article that said that console games don't need an API for games to talk to the hardware but a PC does such as DirectX. A typical PC game can't talk directly to the hardware and has to go through the API, DirectX to talk to the hardware. The number of draw calls per a frame are like 5 times on a console than a PC as mentioned in this article. So how much of a performance hit does DirectX bring compared to if a PC game was programmed directly to hardware? Also would a 8800GT with the overhead of DirectX be equivalent to the PS3's GPU without no API overhead? Also wouldn't this mean that when the PS3 was released, 8800GTX, the fastet card at the time was only slightly faster (even though it's much faster hardware wise) if you had to account for API overhead on the PC?

DJP3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DJP3000

Here's the article I read:

http://www.geeks3d.com/20110317/low-level-gpu-programming-the-future-of-game-development-on-pc/

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Consoles use an API too.
WyteCollaCrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WyteCollaCrim
Member since 2011 • 244 Posts
PC gaming would be faster and more smoother if it was based on OpenGL, since DirectX is more sloppy and heavier to code for. Thats why console games look better than PC games
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
[QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]PC gaming would be faster and more smoother if it was based on OpenGL, since DirectX is more sloppy and heavier to code for. Thats why console games look better than PC games

What...
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]PC gaming would be faster and more smoother if it was based on OpenGL, since DirectX is more sloppy and heavier to code for. Thats why console games look better than PC games

What...

No no. just don't. Just ignore it and walk away :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

PC gaming would be faster and more smoother if it was based on OpenGL, since DirectX is more sloppy and heavier to code for. Thats why console games look better than PC gamesWyteCollaCrim

:shock:

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

[QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]PC gaming would be faster and more smoother if it was based on OpenGL, since DirectX is more sloppy and heavier to code for. Thats why console games look better than PC gamesPostmortem123

:shock:

Opengl, direct 3d , and the old 3dfx glide are something different than directx, they all use directx. And console games look better than pc games? you must be joking right?
Kevz0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kevz0
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

PC gaming would be faster and more smoother if it was based on OpenGL, since DirectX is more sloppy and heavier to code for. Thats why console games look better than PC gamesWyteCollaCrim
What the f...?

Oh it´s you, found your way to PC Hardware disc. now?

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

indeed this troll has GOTTA bail STAT

get your fing head out of our forum.. before i professionally get you ejected. lets say a few mods owe me favors..

ionusX
Don't you have ninjas also... or was that FelipeInside?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

get your fing head out of our forum.. before i professionally get you ejected. lets say a few mods owe me favors..

trastamad03

i has ninjas oh yes i do! i could use them too, but their digging dirt atm for me on the hd 6970 devil 13 card and the hd 6850 and 6950x2 that colorfire and pwoercolro are arming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NhXllHA3lg

so far what i can tell you is that the 6850x2 runs like scary cool. the things practically not generating heat, as a result ocing potential is really.. really good.

colorfire broke the mold with the model ive seen on the bench and im betting you anyhting they glued it back togeather to crunch out a few hundred more.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

[QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="ionusX"]

ionusX

i has ninjas oh yes i do! i could use them too, but their digging dirt atm for me on the hd 6970 devil 13 card and the hd 6850 and 6950x2 that colorfire and pwoercolro are arming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NhXllHA3lg

so far what i can tell you is that the 6850x2 runs like scary cool. the things practically not generating heat, as a result ocing potential is really.. really good.

colorfire broke the mold with the model ive seen on the bench and im betting you anyhting they glued it back togeather to crunch out a few hundred more.

DEEEEEEEEEE-licious :D
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I read an article that said that console games don't need an API for games to talk to the hardware but a PC does such as DirectX. A typical PC game can't talk directly to the hardware and has to go through the API, DirectX to talk to the hardware. The number of draw calls per a frame are like 5 times on a console than a PC as mentioned in this article. So how much of a performance hit does DirectX bring compared to if a PC game was programmed directly to hardware? Also would a 8800GT with the overhead of DirectX be equivalent to the PS3's GPU without no API overhead? Also wouldn't this mean that when the PS3 was released, 8800GTX, the fastet card at the time was only slightly faster (even though it's much faster hardware wise) if you had to account for API overhead on the PC?

DJP3000
Direct-X was engineered for two reasons: 1. Windows is a protected memory module, thus Microsoft had to program a system so game software could communicate with hardware. 2. Microsoft wanted to entice game developers to move from MS-DOS to Windows, and came up with a universal system for devs to use. They didn't make DOS 32-bit to keep it from competing with Windows.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Who let the troll out of system wars?

On topic

DirectX isn't a problem, it's a set of tools to allow devs to run games on windows.

The 8800GT is way more powerful than a PS3, the improvements to graphic quality on consoles has come from practice and better coding.Programmers arespoiledwhen they get PC hardware, always have been, as they have way more resources to work with.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Consoles don't normally look better then PC's except for like, the first two years of a generation. Even then, that's more related to the architecture and ability for developers to make games without worrying about the various different cards and OS and blah blah blah, with PC's being harder to developer for. PC games usually look better if you have a gaming PC and the developers can optimize their games well.

I have to wonder how anyone just comes in here with such bold and wrong statements, especially on PC gamer turf. Its like walking into Mexico with a spanish sign stating nothing but racist "science" from 1800's Alabama in spanish. Not going to end well, and not true.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]PC gaming would be faster and more smoother if it was based on OpenGL, since DirectX is more sloppy and heavier to code for. Thats why console games look better than PC games

What...

Dude just walk away
middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 middle-earth88
Member since 2006 • 1262 Posts

Lol

WyteCollaCrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WyteCollaCrim
Member since 2011 • 244 Posts
Nope, not trolling, but so many of you replied to me, so im not going to quote you guys since it'll get confusing, but this is a reply to you all - Java was supposed to be a big breakthrough to allow programs to run cross-platform as long as they go through Java. MS screwed it up by paying others to write for their broken Java code. OpenGL is supposed to be the same thing. MS is trying to kill of OpenGL and they will probably adapt it, break it, and force others to write for the broken code so the real code won't work with the software. That's just how Microsoft does things. Microsoft isn't able to make a stable messenger after 10 years.. and we play games on their DirectX Look at the graphics on a ps3 with a five years old geforce using OpenGL with 256mg of XDR ram and then imagine what we could accomplish with our new rigs. OpenGL.. please rise and shine so all can enjoy a powerful gaming tool for Windows and Linux, hell i might even come back to PC gaming, if more devs started using the beter API, ID did pretty well with RAGE, look how great that game looks, it looks like a pc modded graphics game.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Consoles use an API too. i5750at4Ghz
Indeed.. In fact, I read that the 360's API lead to the performance improvements in the Direct3D 10 API...
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 C_Rule
[QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]Nope, not trolling, but so many of you replied to me, so im not going to quote you guys since it'll get confusing, but this is a reply to you all - Java was supposed to be a big breakthrough to allow programs to run cross-platform as long as they go through Java. MS screwed it up by paying others to write for their broken Java code. OpenGL is supposed to be the same thing. MS is trying to kill of OpenGL and they will probably adapt it, break it, and force others to write for the broken code so the real code won't work with the software. That's just how Microsoft does things. Microsoft isn't able to make a stable messenger after 10 years.. and we play games on their DirectX Look at the graphics on a ps3 with a five years old geforce using OpenGL with 256mg of XDR ram and then imagine what we could accomplish with our new rigs. OpenGL.. please rise and shine so all can enjoy a powerful gaming tool for Windows and Linux, hell i might even come back to PC gaming, if more devs started using the beter API, ID did pretty well with RAGE, look how great that game looks, it looks like a pc modded graphics game.

Your opinions are irrelevant.
DJP3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DJP3000

I just checked the Need for Speed The Run requirements for the PC version andthe video card itrequires is at least anATI 4870 or an Nvidia 8800 GT.A PS3 with around a 7900 GT equivalent GPU and an Xbox 360 with around an ATI 1800XT equivalent GPU can run it. The 8800 GT is about twice as fast as the GPUs in these consoles and has more VRAM as well. Is this because of DirectX overhead for the higher GPU requirements for the PC?

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Firebird-5
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
why do consolites even try when they have absolutely no background in what they think they are talking about
Metal-8654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Metal-8654
Member since 2011 • 73 Posts
[QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]Nope, not trolling, but so many of you replied to me, so im not going to quote you guys since it'll get confusing, but this is a reply to you all - Java was supposed to be a big breakthrough to allow programs to run cross-platform as long as they go through Java. MS screwed it up by paying others to write for their broken Java code. OpenGL is supposed to be the same thing. MS is trying to kill of OpenGL and they will probably adapt it, break it, and force others to write for the broken code so the real code won't work with the software. That's just how Microsoft does things. Microsoft isn't able to make a stable messenger after 10 years.. and we play games on their DirectX Look at the graphics on a ps3 with a five years old geforce using OpenGL with 256mg of XDR ram and then imagine what we could accomplish with our new rigs. OpenGL.. please rise and shine so all can enjoy a powerful gaming tool for Windows and Linux, hell i might even come back to PC gaming, if more devs started using the beter API, ID did pretty well with RAGE, look how great that game looks, it looks like a pc modded graphics game.

I just saw the thread C_Rule linked and not sure if you were joking there or not but, are you sure you installed the gpu drivers? you said games looked blurry which is hard to believe
streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 streetridaz
Member since 2003 • 3276 Posts

[QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]PC gaming would be faster and more smoother if it was based on OpenGL, since DirectX is more sloppy and heavier to code for. Thats why console games look better than PC gamesKevz0

What the f...?

Oh it´s you, found your way to PC Hardware disc. now?

Yeah this guy has a serious envy jones for gaming PC's....look at his posting history for a good laugh!

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

What in the bloody hell are you talking about? PC games have always had better graphics than console games, aside from running them at the lowest resolutions and detail levels.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Another one of those days on gamespot :lol:

I saw the SW thread too....incredible. I needed a good laugh after being without power for a week or so

streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 streetridaz
Member since 2003 • 3276 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Another one of those days on gamespot :lol:

I saw the SW thread too....incredible. I needed a good laugh after being without power for a week or so

Yep and Consolites wonder why we get so defensive about PC and why they think we are the way we are. We have to constantly spit out facts against threads like this which makes us sound arrogent at times because the ish that is spewed by so many consolites it damn near insulting to PC gaming as it's so far from the truth its crazy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

:lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

[QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]Nope, not trolling, but so many of you replied to me, so im not going to quote you guys since it'll get confusing, but this is a reply to you all - Java was supposed to be a big breakthrough to allow programs to run cross-platform as long as they go through Java. MS screwed it up by paying others to write for their broken Java code. OpenGL is supposed to be the same thing. MS is trying to kill of OpenGL and they will probably adapt it, break it, and force others to write for the broken code so the real code won't work with the software. That's just how Microsoft does things. Microsoft isn't able to make a stable messenger after 10 years.. and we play games on their DirectX Look at the graphics on a ps3 with a five years old geforce using OpenGL with 256mg of XDR ram and then imagine what we could accomplish with our new rigs. OpenGL.. please rise and shine so all can enjoy a powerful gaming tool for Windows and Linux, hell i might even come back to PC gaming, if more devs started using the beter API, ID did pretty well with RAGE, look how great that game looks, it looks like a pc modded graphics game.C_Rule

The external drive really gave me a laugh.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 C_Rule

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]Nope, not trolling, but so many of you replied to me, so im not going to quote you guys since it'll get confusing, but this is a reply to you all - Java was supposed to be a big breakthrough to allow programs to run cross-platform as long as they go through Java. MS screwed it up by paying others to write for their broken Java code. OpenGL is supposed to be the same thing. MS is trying to kill of OpenGL and they will probably adapt it, break it, and force others to write for the broken code so the real code won't work with the software. That's just how Microsoft does things. Microsoft isn't able to make a stable messenger after 10 years.. and we play games on their DirectX Look at the graphics on a ps3 with a five years old geforce using OpenGL with 256mg of XDR ram and then imagine what we could accomplish with our new rigs. OpenGL.. please rise and shine so all can enjoy a powerful gaming tool for Windows and Linux, hell i might even come back to PC gaming, if more devs started using the beter API, ID did pretty well with RAGE, look how great that game looks, it looks like a pc modded graphics game.Postmortem123

The external drive really gave me a laugh.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. >Motherboard that doesn't support the graphics card >Overpriced envergy efficient CPU >PSU ~200W higher than it needs to be >No internal hard drive
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
C_Rule
Man I wish I was around for that. What got me was the modular PSU