How many HDD have failed on you?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

So how many Hard Disk Drives HHDs have failed on you/crashed?

Me, none. Yet.

burnt_harddrive.jpg

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts
Surprisingly none so far. I thought the old 160GB from 2006 would have died by now, but it certainly can take a beating... I mean use :P
iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

Arn't you worried it will crash any day?

I have a 8 year old PC with a 40GB HDD it was slow but was still going. But I donated it away too scared to keep my data on it.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

None.

So many writes and reads and none so far.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
like 6 out of 30
nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
Only 1, an external 2.5" one, could salvage a good portion of it though.
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115430 Posts
0. I have a HDD that was used from a super old computer, I think 2006 that I keep stuff on in this one. I do believe my hdd is dying in my laptop though. I can hear it clicking and it sometimes take awhile to load things. Crystal Disk says it's okay, but not sure if I should believe that at all.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

Arn't you worried it will crash any day?

I have a 8 year old PC with a 40GB HDD it was slow but was still going. But I donated it away too scared to keep my data on it.

iampenguin
Nah, the PC is so old anyway... It's running XP
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts
1 I managed to keep the data but my computer was so slow and it got progressively worse but replacing the HDD fixed it
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
From 20-30 personal HDDs, I've never had one fail.
mrmarrero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrmarrero
Member since 2007 • 343 Posts

I've had one fail.  A 150GB 10K RPM.  It went died in 2010.  

Oddly enough I still have a (very) old IBM x386 running DOS that has a 10 MB (yes, Megabyte) hard drive that is still running strong.  That box was built sometime around 1986.  I fire it up every now and then for nostalgia sake.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

So how many Hard Disk Drives HHDs have failed on you/crashed?

Me, none. Yet.

burnt_harddrive.jpg

iampenguin

Strangely enough, only one and that's from the time of my first DIY back in 1992 to the present. The only hard drive that has died on me was a 1.6Gb IDE Western Digital hard drive. I bought it in 1996 and it died in like 2002. All other hard drives I bought since have lasted through the life of the PCs they were in. I've been extremely lucky so far.

I still have this:

10182932.jpg

I bought it back in 2001 or 2002. I can't quite recall which year. The hard drive inside is a 100Gb Hitachi Deskstar. It still works. A disk check says it doesn't have any bad clusters yet.

I have two (WD) hard drives from 2002 and they still work. One (160GB) is currently in my kid's PC. Another (200Gb) used to be in an old PC and is now in an external enclosure.

I assembled my first 2.5" non-powered external hard drive back in 2005 with a WD 55Gb Scorpio and 3rd-party external enclosure. It too still works great.

I don't know if buying hard drive "boxed" or retail have something to do with it. But, I've had excellent luck with hard drives. 

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
A 1TB WD caviar Black failed on me after only about a year.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Oh wait. I did have two HDDs in a RAID enclosure die on me. Not sure if that counts though, I did plug a laptop power brick into it (burnt out TVS diode on PCB).
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
surprisingly only 1 external so far ( my main rig has a 6 year old seagate and still going strong and fast )
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
A 1TB WD caviar Black failed on me after only about a year.
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

None.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
1 external HDD began to show signs of failure (weird clicking sounds, not always detected when plugging it in (windows and linux), SMART warnings appearing under linux) so that has been retired. other than that none surprisingly. i suspect my 10k hdd is gone though as it took a bit of a bang during a house move. but i haven't tested it (and i probably wouldn't trust it now anyway). my old laptop lasted 8 years and in the end it was the mobo that failed not the HDD. it amazing how fragile they look if you open one up (of course make sure its dead first) and the tolerances are so small....but pretty darn reliable.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
1 external HDD began to show signs of failure (weird clicking sounds, not always detected when plugging it in (windows and linux), SMART warnings appearing under linux) so that has been retired. other than that none surprisingly. i suspect my 10k hdd is gone though as it took a bit of a bang during a house move. but i haven't tested it (and i probably wouldn't trust it now anyway). my old laptop lasted 8 years and in the end it was the mobo that failed not the HDD. it amazing how fragile they look if you open one up (of course make sure its dead first) and the tolerances are so small....but pretty darn reliable.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
Two, both from power bumps caused by machines like weed-whackers running on the same circuit.
gogoplexiorayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#21 gogoplexiorayo
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

one died in april 2012 and another in june 2012. they where both from a pre built i bought (and still use) from 2010. The one i have now still works fine.

gogoplexiorayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#22 gogoplexiorayo
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

one died in april 2012 and another in june 2012. they where both from a pre built i bought (and still use) from 2010. The one i have now still works fine.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
surprisingly only 1 external so far ( my main rig has a 6 year old seagate and still going strong and fast )adamosmaki
With my external 320gb I thought it died but I opened it up and installed in my pc and the drive was fine the interface failed. I have went through two external enclosures with the same HDD, since 2004 as for normal internal drives I have had some old ones fail ie 20gb or lower hdd's, but the drives I have bought since say 2006 onward only three have died one seagate one WD and one samsung. 80gb, 250gb and a 500gb.
Avatar image for deactivated-600c0d4bc0491
deactivated-600c0d4bc0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-600c0d4bc0491
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I've only had one fail ever and it was a crappy portable USB drive. It didn't really see much abuse at all, but it one day died on me about a year after I got it. I've got Barracuda ES.2 drive in my rig, so I'm hoping they'll never die before I replace them.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I haven't had a mechanical drive fail on me (though just in case I still back-up everything). I have however had a SSD fail on me, I think there might have been a strange incompatiblility with my efficient power supply, but luckily I was still under warranty and they sent me a replacement and even bumped me up to the "Xtreme" version of the drive for free. Seems to be working well now.
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Every single one of my old hard drives died. I have had 3 die on my so far

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Every single one of my old hard drives died. I have had 3 die on me so far

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

0. I have a HDD that was used from a super old computer, I think 2006 that I keep stuff on in this one. I do believe my hdd is dying in my laptop though. I can hear it clicking and it sometimes take awhile to load things. Crystal Disk says it's okay, but not sure if I should believe that at all.2ndWonder
Clicking noise is normal for harddrives, dosent mean its failing.

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

0. I have a HDD that was used from a super old computer, I think 2006 that I keep stuff on in this one. I do believe my hdd is dying in my laptop though. I can hear it clicking and it sometimes take awhile to load things. Crystal Disk says it's okay, but not sure if I should believe that at all.2ndWonder
Clicking noise is normal for harddrives, dosent mean its failing.

HelpWithPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HelpWithPC
Member since 2013 • 140 Posts

It didn't fail me but I fried one of my Hard drives before in my laptop wich led to a chain reaction. After it fried I sent it to person to get it fixed and had a new hard drive that ran a little faster but less space. After a couple months it started to fail and had to get another one that was less space. Right now with this hard drive it takes 10 secs to boot and after I get to the desktop it takes a few minutes before I can do anything. I am ready to just throw the hard drive out and get a 120gb ssd and 500gb hdd.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Personally, I've only had 1 drive fail for me in roughly the 10 or so I've had.

At work it seems like I see at least 2 or so a week.  Western Digi drives don't seem to like Texas weather very much or something...

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts
i've had about 8 die completely on me. 3 of those were the older version of the western digital 10,000 rpm raptor drives... the newer 2.5 inch versions of the raptors i've run non stop on various things and had no problems with them. but overall i've owned so many drives that isn't bad for failures over the course of 20 years. but knowing they can fail, i do triple back ups of everything and also do blu-ray backups also incase of a nuclear explosion which could destroy the electronics on a hard drive. gotta be ready for the nukes.
nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nicecall
i've had about 8 die completely on me. 3 of those were the older version of the western digital 10,000 rpm raptor drives... the newer 2.5 inch versions of the raptors i've run non stop on various things and had no problems with them. but overall i've owned so many drives that isn't bad for failures over the course of 20 years. but knowing they can fail, i do triple back ups of everything and also do blu-ray backups also incase of a nuclear explosion which could destroy the electronics on a hard drive. gotta be ready for the nukes.
nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nicecall
nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nicecall
nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nicecall
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

Luckily that number to this day remains at zero.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Only one in my life. I put it in the freezer for an hour to get it working for just enough time to salvage some important data

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I have had only one start acting up.... I replaced it before it failed.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

None so far but they do tend to make a lot of noise over time. But recently fixed my problem as again after a year it was making a bad humming noise and thought Nooooooo. any way I opened up my pc and took the HDD cleaned it and move the wires etc put it back in nice and snug and the noise went away.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

had one 500GB go a little squirly on me but was able to recover it. still in use though not as my boot drive any longer.

Avatar image for The_Animator420
The_Animator420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The_Animator420
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

I have had about 4-6 HDD's fail on me over the course of about 8 years or so. No SSD's have failed me yet. (Knock on wood)

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

I never had a HDD failure, thankfully. The closest I came to one was one external that had power issues before failing. It would not turn off at all via the power button and unplugging it from the wall was the only way. It would not turn back on after I did such a thing (waste of power just to leave it plugged in). Thankfully, I was able to remove the hard drive from its casing and install it inside my PC as the hard drive was basically an internal with it's own external casing.

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

Absolutely none, all of mine have been great.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

I've been lucky on the disk failure front, I've been a PC user since the 486 days and have never had a drive fail on me. I do have a mate that was unfortunate enough to have two fail in the same PC within weeks of each other though.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Zero

s-e-e-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By s-e-e-k
Member since 2009 • 252 Posts

A Maxtor and one Toshia HDD in my Laptop.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

None.

Even the hdd from my 10 year old laptop is still working.(the laptop itself doesn't work though)

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Surprisingly, none. The main HDD in my desktop is a 250GB Seagate from 2005 with > 25 000 hours on it. That's not the oldest HDD I have, but it does have the most hours.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

1 although I am unsure if It should Count. Had an external seagate fall off the desk while used, caused it make the dreaded clicking noices and got really slow. So... One over the span of 20 years.