This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Is it worth the $60 now? I want to play it but I continue to feel like I'm going to just waste my money. The RMAH is a big turn off because it kills progression. Why fight for hours in a dungeon when you can just buy the dungeon's prize off the auction house? 

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

The game can be fun if played with Friends.  I bought it at launch for $60 and played through it on a couple different heroes and feel as though I probably got my money's worth.

That being said no PC game that's 1.5 years old is worth $60.  Blizzard thinks they are special and can charge full price for their games forever when in reality you can get a similar game like Torchlight 2 on sale on steam for like $10 or less.  

So answer = game can be fun if played with friends, game is NOT worth $60

gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
Not worth $60. Maybe $15-20. I played for about 1.5 month when it came out. Not playing long hours or anything I managed to get a Lvl 60 Barbarian, Wizard and Demon Hunter. The Auction House was quite enjoyable back then to both sell and buy, don't know about today.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Console version is far superior to the PC version. No RMAH, Local Co-Op, No Internet required, Controls feel good since there's only a few skills. I've heard a lot of good things about the console version. I feel like the game was originally designed with a console port in mind. Still not worth $60 though.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

If want to buy Diablo 3 on PC wait till it is $30 or less. I have seen it getting a 50% discount sometimes.

Now, general consensus is that the console version is better thanks to no AODRM and no RMAH. If you can get that version instead of the PC one unless you really want to play it on PC.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

It's OK, don't get it expecting something like D1, D2 OR LOD expansion. They basically did away with all the stuff that made those games amazing and replaces it with lame things. I played for less than 3 weeks when it came out. Waste of money imo. Maybe for 5-10 bucks its worth it.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

The game is fun. It'll kepe you engaged through atleast 1 play through, and that's more hours than most games out there. You might even like it enough to "really" start playing it in a second/third/etc playthrough on higher difficulties.

I personally, had my fun and my money's worth with two characters and 2.5 play through. I won't come back to it until the expansion comes out, but I WILL come back to it then.

The console version fails in a couple of ways. The GUI is a mess and difficult to deal with, and since it's a loot game, you'll be dealing with it a lot. And since it's not always online, there are already a ton fo hacked characters and duped items runnign around.

On the PC the auciton house is totally optional. I ignored it compeltley. Never bought or sold anythign on it.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It's not worth $60. It's worth about $20.

The actual feel of the game is great. Combat itself is fun and the game has a very good look to it. It's also very well optimized and has nice production values. 

That's where the good ends and the blah starts. The character progression is really shallow, the item drops are terrible, the RMAH works against the bad loot system, and the level design is flat out boring and not random enough. The game is fun to play for an hour or two, but I had to force myself through all 4 acts with one character. It's just not that fun.

Lack of choice. That's where they get you. There is no bad way to build a character. You cannot tune items just for your character becasue everything seems to be class-specific. The lack of choice degrades the feeling of progression and character identity. The game lacks the feeling that your character is really a product of your own decisions. 

It's not a bad game, just a really flat and boring game. 

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#9 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I don't think Diablo 3 is a bad game but is this the best Blizzard could come up with in all that time? Its good that you can play through the whole campaign with a friend, which is pretty rare. My issue with the game is that it doesn't take any chances or risks for something that was years in the making.

You run through dungeons killings things and thats pretty much it. It does so little to challenge the genre, like they were scared of adding anything new. Its a really conservative game. 

The writing and the boss battles are also poor and you can suffer from lag too. I'd wait for it to go on sale. Don't pay too much for it.

DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts
Ya, Console version is the best right now if its about Loot but there are so many duped, hacked ect on Console version. PC is not that good at the moment because people is waiting for Expansion Pack. If I were you then I'll wait untill Expansion is out or wait untill November maybe we'll get to know more about RoS or Loot 2.0 Patch. Loot 2.0 or Expansion PTR/Beta is aimed to release this year. Loot 2.0 will bring the game back to the old Diablo serie and will add more content with Expansion Pack.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

The actual gameplay of the classes and skills is really fun.  But the auction house, terrible loot tables and loot styles, very short campaign and very little map variety makes it a a one run game for me.  Played through with a couple classes and was bored to tears after that

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Console version is far superior to the PC version. No RMAH, Local Co-Op, No Internet required, Controls feel good since there's only a few skills. I've heard a lot of good things about the console version. I feel like the game was originally designed with a console port in mind. Still not worth $60 though.SKaREO

Pretty much this.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

The actual gameplay of the classes and skills is really fun.  But the auction house, terrible loot tables and loot styles, very short campaign and very little map variety makes it a a one run game for me.  Played through with a couple classes and was bored to tears after that

wis3boi
had the same feeling and then I picked it up for PS3 and have been enjoying it a lot more.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Wait until they come out with the new loot system. Right now you can get to max level solo, but getting better gear for Inferno is pretty much impossible to find on your own. This is supposed to change when they come out with loot 2.0. It will be a free patch but not coming out until early next year probably. You can pick the game up for $20 during Blizzard's annual Thanksgiving sale.

Thaymez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Thaymez
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts

Agree: Fun game, gets boring fast, loot drops almost impossable.

Dissagree: RMAH ruined the game.

Even if there wasnt a rmah people would still buy stuff from chinese gold farmers or use hacks, just like on wow.  I remember in D2 playing online with random people and they would one shot everything with a 9999999999999999 sword.  People may not like the RMAH but in the end I feel like gaming is heading in that direction with or without them.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Now that the console version is out (and I own it as well), any argument that the RMAH didn't affect drops is totally bunk in my eyes. It's like night and day between the two versions.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Now that the console version is out (and I own it as well), any argument that the RMAH didn't affect drops is totally bunk in my eyes. It's like night and day between the two versions.Renevent42

Oh it's already been confirmed that Blizzard lowered the drops on the PC version to compensate for the fast trading they expected through the auction houses. A Blizzard community manager even said this. It wasn't some real time system that dynamically lowers drop rates based on how many have dropped though. It was planned ahead of time. For example, they could assume 5 million players at launch and they want X number of legendaries dropping per week. With a little math they can set a drop rate that fits those constraints. On the consoles where most gear has to come from your own self-found drops, they could boost the drop rates to an acceptable number.

The auction house itself was not the problem really on PC. It was the the gold inflation. Blizzard somehow totally missed this. They didn't realize that prices would just continue up and up forever. Within a few months only gold farmers, people who spent real money, or auction house flippers had any chance to get upgrades from the auction house. Right now average Inferno item costs 50-100 million gold. That's like 500 hours of farming gold for a single item. As most players couldn't feasably get drops on their own, they just quit the game. The auction house no longer serves its purpose of helping the average player with gearing.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Now that the console version is out (and I own it as well), any argument that the RMAH didn't affect drops is totally bunk in my eyes. It's like night and day between the two versions.James00715

Oh it's already been confirmed that Blizzard lowered the drops on the PC version to compensate for the fast trading they expected through the auction houses. A Blizzard community manager even said this. It wasn't some real time system that dynamically lowers drop rates based on how many have dropped though. It was planned ahead of time. For example, they could assume 5 million players at launch and they want X number of legendaries dropping per week. With a little math they can set a drop rate that fits those constraints. On the consoles where most gear has to come from your own self-found drops, they could boost the drop rates to an acceptable number.

The auction house itself was not the problem really on PC. It was the the gold inflation. Blizzard somehow totally missed this. They didn't realize that prices would just continue up and up forever. Within a few months only gold farmers, people who spent real money, or auction house flippers had any chance to get upgrades from the auction house. Right now average Inferno item costs 50-100 million gold. That's like 500 hours of farming gold for a single item. As most players couldn't feasably get drops on their own, they just quit the game. The auction house no longer serves its purpose of helping the average player with gearing.

Yeah I remember bashiok saying that, though almost immediately after the thread was shut down and the Blizzard issued a response in an interview saying it wasn't...personally I knew it was bullshit then.  A lot of people drank the coolaid though...with the console version out now it's undeniable.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Agree: Fun game, gets boring fast, loot drops almost impossable.

Dissagree: RMAH ruined the game.

Even if there wasnt a rmah people would still buy stuff from chinese gold farmers or use hacks, just like on wow.  I remember in D2 playing online with random people and they would one shot everything with a 9999999999999999 sword.  People may not like the RMAH but in the end I feel like gaming is heading in that direction with or without them.

Thaymez

Problem is the loot system was built around the idea of the RMAH always being there. This is why there were so many class-specific drops. Idea was that you would put your drops on the system and buy the gear you needed to. It was an attempt to introduce some sort of a mmo style auction house into a small scale single player/co-op game. 

The whole loot system was built around that. During my single player it was so bad I had to go to the auction house just to buy gear that was around my level. My drops were so poor I couldn't advance playing solo. 

I understand the RMAH and I like it existing. However I don't like how they tried to use it to drive the loot system and force the community to interact. It should just be a tool, not a vital gameplay component.

This was from my experience and it was right after launch. They may have drastically changed the loot system to be much more solo friendly, but at launch it was not. The bad loot made the game more difficult than it needed too be.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#20 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Very underwhelming game.

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

Honestly the game is not that bad at all. I have played Diablo 3 300ish hours in total, got three characters to lvl 60. The gameplay is fluid, fast paced and most important fun. All classes are fun to play and somewhat unique and I liked how you can choose your build and switch it up anytime you want. I cant complain about the graphics and audio either (great art style).

The always online drm and AH are not that big of a deal for me. Im actually in favour of AH in loot based games.

Now for my main complains:

1. The loot system is horrible. Over the course of my playtime I have only found 2 decent legendary items (the rest being craptastic) that would sell for more than a mill. 99% of the yellow items are vendor trash. Boring stats on items and just bad itemization. Also last time I played the AH economy was inflated. 

2. The zones werent random enough which hurts replayability quite a lot, especially when you wanna do some end game grinding. 

3. No team PvP which was actually shown pre release. 

That being said, if you dont mind the above mentioned complains then this game is easily worth 60$. If not then wait for the expansion pack which will fix issue #2 or at least wait for loot 2.0 patch that will fix issue #1. 

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#22 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
No, not worth the $60 at all. While I dont think D3 is as bad as some people make it out to be, it's still a solid and enjoyable game; excellent even if you have friends in comms to play it with. I just think the product roadblocks and campaign length hampers D3s value big time. If you can get it cheaper (as well as convince a friend to get it/play it co-op with you), then i'd say go for it to see what the fuss was about.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Console version is far superior to the PC version. No RMAH, Local Co-Op, No Internet required, Controls feel good since there's only a few skills. I've heard a lot of good things about the console version. I feel like the game was originally designed with a console port in mind. Still not worth $60 though.SKaREO
I was disappointed in the PC version.. but that was at release with a LOT of connection issues thrown in.. playing it on PS3 and its really awesome!
DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts
Well....look like the Expansion Pack/Loot 2.0 will be really awesome. Lots of Game Modes, Ladder and more. DiabloFans.com just did Datamining on the new Expansion/Loot 2.0 so you can see what to expect in the Expansion/Loot 2.0. Warning Major Spoils!! http://www.diablofans.com/ This is pretty much what Diablo Fans wishing for.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#25 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I didn't like it.  Uninstalled it, forgot my password to my battlenet and have no intention of playing it again.

Torchlight II is way more fun.

Avatar image for RedEyedMonster8
RedEyedMonster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RedEyedMonster8
Member since 2007 • 1348 Posts

Not gonna lie, I really enjoyed Diablo III but wait for the expansion. The game isn't any shorter than Diablo 2 either, don't know why people say that.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
I don't understand why people complain about RMAH. All you have to do is ignore it like it's not there. That's what I did when I first started playing Diablo 3. I completely ignored it until I beat Hell... It's not hard...
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#28 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

I think I got my moneys worth when it first launched, but right now I don't think it's worth $60. The auction house totally killed the game for me and my friends.Â