How good is this gaming laptop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rohan1627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Rohan1627
Member since 2007 • 142 Posts

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X6_7900_Notebook/

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Should run most current games on at least medium
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Rohan1627
Faster than ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670.
Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Creigz
Member since 2010 • 187 Posts

It is a mediocre laptop for gaming, good price, but remember, you will want a notebook cooler, trust me. The major restriction to PC gaming these days is the lack of ability to cool. Don't get me wrong, a gaming laptop isn't too bad, but you WILL need a cooling pad (I know, broken record, but I can't stress that enough). I have done the gaming notebook thing and it wasn't a bad choice for mobility. It should run most games on medium or so, but try not to run games from the past 2 or 3 years on high settings if you can avoid it, in order to protect the parts and keep them running well. Also, be prepared to replace it in a couple years if you want to keep up to date with the latest games. If you're playing Source, World of Warcraft, Starcraft II, it should suffice for a bit longer than 2 years.

psp_mtness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 psp_mtness
Member since 2008 • 815 Posts

its average, it will play most new games at medium/low settings and some older ones at higher settings, decent price but i think you could find better for around or slightly higher in price.

for example this

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ronvalencia

Rohan1627

Runs Mass Effect 2 (Unreal Engine 3) and Dragon Age at max details and 1280x720p/1600x900p smooth.

Depending on the laptop vendor, Mobility Radeon HD 5650 is lower clock version Mobility Radeon HD5730 i.e. it's core clock speed ranges between 450Mhz to 650Mhz.

Mobility Radeon HD5730 is a strict 650Mhz core and 800Mhz (1600Mhz effective) memory clock speed.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="psp_mtness"]

its average, it will play most new games at medium/low settings and some older ones at higher settings, decent price but i think you could find better for around or slightly higher in price.

for example this

Remember, AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5850 consumes 39 watts while AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5650 consumes 15-19 watts.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ronvalencia

for example this

psp_mtness

Depends on laptop vendor i.e. 5650's core clock speed could range from 450Mhz to 650Mhz. At 650Mhz, it's the same level as Radeon HD 5730. Radeon HD 5730 plays most console ported games at high settings.

Both Radeon HD 5650 and 57x0 shares the same GPU core i.e. AMD "Madison".

psp_mtness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 psp_mtness
well you don't game without the power-supply in a notebook it just doesn't make sense and you will often times find gpu/cpu under-clocks on battery so wattage isnt really a factor, i was giving the OP a better option for his gaming needs for around the same price, i don't think anyone would argue that the HD5850 is a much better gpu for gaming compared to the HD5650, it like chalk and cheese tbh, and his native res on the notebook he was looking at is 1920x1080 so he would have no chance of maxing games like dragonage, i had a GTX260m in my old notebook and it didn't max the game so there is no way the 5650 will.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Its decent enough for gaming but this laptop is much better for gaming due to the more powerful gpu mobile 5850 vs 5650.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152207&cm_re=msi_laptop-_-34-152-207-_-Product

paladinqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 paladinqueen
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts

Radeon HD 5850,OK,,this one will be right , if u want to buy more better ,i think it is not a good idea .

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ronvalencia

well you don't game without the power-supply in a notebook it just doesn't make sense and you will often times find gpu/cpu under-clocks on battery so wattage isnt really a factor,

psp_mtness

At a given process node, clock speed and ASIC design, the total transistor count has influences on power consumption curve. Both AMD Madison (Redwood) and Broadway (Juniper) uses TSMC 40 nm process node. On gaming laptops, max wattage on CPU and GPU combo guides the size form factor.

i was giving the OP a better option for his gaming needs for around the same price, i don't think anyone would argue that the HD5850 is a much better gpu for gaming compared to the HD5650, it like chalk and cheese tbh, and his native res on the notebook he was looking at is 1920x1080 so he would have no chance of maxing games like dragonage, i had a GTX260m in my old notebook and it didn't max the game so there is no way the 5650 will.

psp_mtness

This is "gaming laptop" i.e. we don't know OP's level of mobility. With DAO and max settings, I ussually play at 1600x900p.

At max power saving mode, my Mobility Radeon HD 5730 goes down to 100Mhz core/150Mhz memorywith Cat 10.7. Does your Mobility Radeon HD 5870 clocks down to 100Mhz?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ronvalencia

It is a mediocre laptop for gaming, good price, but remember, you will want a notebook cooler, trust me. The major restriction to PC gaming these days is the lack of ability to cool. Don't get me wrong, a gaming laptop isn't too bad, but you WILL need a cooling pad (I know, broken record, but I can't stress that enough). I have done the gaming notebook thing and it wasn't a bad choice for mobility. It should run most games on medium or so, but try not to run games from the past 2 or 3 years on high settings if you can avoid it, in order to protect the parts and keep them running well. Also, be prepared to replace it in a couple years if you want to keep up to date with the latest games. If you're playing Source, World of Warcraft, Starcraft II, it should suffice for a bit longer than 2 years.

Creigz

On cooling, it depends on laptop model and revision. When I play a game, my GPU temp is around 62C (650Mhz Core, 800Mhz(1600Mhz effective) memory) and around 41C on low power state (100Mhz Core, 150Mhz(300Mhz effective) memory). I rarely need a cooling pad while playing a DX9/DX10game.

On MSI 1656-ID4's temps, refer to http://www.xoticpcforums.com/showthread.php?t=6447

PS; Dell Studio XPS 1645 has undergone several revisions to solve its cooling issues. I bought my laptop after they went through several revisions.

psp_mtness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 psp_mtness

[QUOTE="psp_mtness"]

well you don't game without the power-supply in a notebook it just doesn't make sense and you will often times find gpu/cpu under-clocks on battery so wattage isnt really a factor,

ronvalencia

At a given process node, clock speed and ASIC design, the total transistor count has influences on power consumption curve. Both AMD Madison (Redwood) and Broadway (Juniper) uses TSMC 40 nm process node. On gaming laptops, max wattage on CPU and GPU combo guides the size form factor.

i was giving the OP a better option for his gaming needs for around the same price, i don't think anyone would argue that the HD5850 is a much better gpu for gaming compared to the HD5650, it like chalk and cheese tbh, and his native res on the notebook he was looking at is 1920x1080 so he would have no chance of maxing games like dragonage, i had a GTX260m in my old notebook and it didn't max the game so there is no way the 5650 will.

psp_mtness

This is "gaming laptop" i.e. we don't know OP's level of mobility. With DAO and max settings, I ussually play at 1600x900p.

At max power saving mode, my Mobility Radeon HD 5730 goes down to 100Mhz core/150Mhz memorywith Cat 10.7. Does your Mobility Radeon HD 5870 clocks down to 100Mhz?

i haven't checked to see what it down-clocks to as Ive never had my machine in other than high performance, i think the difference is you seem to class a SXPS16 as a gaming notebook, i don't, i class it as a very good multimedia machine, the OP topic name was "how good is the gaming laptop" implying a gaming notebook, i gave him a suggestion of what i would class a gaming notebook to be in or around the price he was looking at. i agree i haven't used a cooler on my M17x because temps are very good, even when i owned a SXPX16 i didn't need a cooler, so one needs to check temps on a notebook to notebook basis.
Rohan1627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rohan1627
Member since 2007 • 142 Posts

what about this?http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP7130