how do modders make the graphics look better then original games graphics?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

modded games like gta4 and crysis look alot better than the the graphics the devs develop. but how do modders do it?

kursah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kursah
Member since 2004 • 47 Posts

Improving textures and lighting is generally the way that happens. You'll see downloads for hi-res/HD texture packs for many titles out there...and that makes the biggest difference. But lighting effects can also make a nice difference as well...some games that benefit from SSAO where it wasn't supported at launch, etc.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
It's not that the modders are any better than the developers at making graphics, they're just implementing graphics that go beyond the system spec the original developers had aimed for.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
A lot of the time it isn't even that they're adding anything new, but just tweaking settings to make the game look different. A lot of Crysis mods do this for example. All they really do is just screw around with saturation, hue, brightness, and time of day to draw out some colors more than others. Other mods just replace textures which actually isn't terribly difficult to do. The trick is finding a nice texture that doesn't look out of place. Character models can also be replaced, but this is a lot harder since it requires a person to recreate 3D models of all the characters and/or objects in the game (depending on how ambitious their mod is) whereas texture mods just require them to have a good eye with a camera.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Developers = limit and optimize around a targeted system spec.

Modders = Add everything you can and go the highest res you can. To hell with system specs.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

It isn't always about "making it look better" either. Sometimes it's about making it look different in some way. Good example:http://bit.ly/onrGtv

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

modify shader files if available in the install?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

GTA IV

Oblivion

Stuff like this is done by making custom scripts and .dll files and confiqs to go above and beyond what the normal game engine was designed to do. Developers don't put the very best stuff in because A) consoles can't render a lot of this and B) not everyone can run this type of thing on PC.

Modders do it because they have fun modding and they can give those of us who have the hardware to spare something to drool over

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
It also helps to mention that developers are developing an entire game, which means that their resources are spread to every facet of the game. When it comes to modders, they can focus on just one aspect, such as textures, and may end up spending months, or considerably longer, just doing that.
Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

modded games like gta4 and crysis look alot better than the the graphics the devs develop. but how do modders do it?

TheShadowLord07

This

Improving textures and lighting is generally the way that happens. You'll see downloads for hi-res/HD texture packs for many titles out there...and that makes the biggest difference. But lighting effects can also make a nice difference as well...some games that benefit from SSAO where it wasn't supported at launch, etc.kursah
and this

Modders = Add everything you can and go the highest res you can. To hell with system specs.ChubbyGuy40

is the answer to your question ... some of the best examples are Crysis ( like you mentioned ) and Oblivion (I've seen some damn good mods about this game) ...

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Modders dont care about having the game run on a wide range of systems so they have no regard for limits, they can take as much time as they want, spend all their free time on just one aspect of a game etc.
s_emi_xxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 s_emi_xxxxx
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts

GTA IV

wis3boi

The pic hurts my eye. There is no visual balance in here.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

The pic hurts my eye. There is no visual balance in here.

s_emi_xxxxx

That's what happens when you use the ENB mods. It's there or it's not, you can't tell it where to be or not be. You can adjust values but that's about it.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts
I like mods but sometimes it can be a pain. Getting all my Oblivion mods to work was a huge pain. Here are some screenshots I took myself.
FatSlasH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FatSlasH
Member since 2005 • 509 Posts

Improving textures and lighting is generally the way that happens. You'll see downloads for hi-res/HD texture packs for many titles out there...and that makes the biggest difference. But lighting effects can also make a nice difference as well...some games that benefit from SSAO where it wasn't supported at launch, etc.

kursah

Textures don't make the biggest difference, it's the lighting and shading. Good examples are GTA 4 and Crysis, all you need is ENB for GTA and a good ToD/config mod for Crysis

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

[QUOTE="kursah"]

FatSlasH

Textures don't make the biggest difference, it's the lighting and shading. Good examples are GTA 4 and Crysis, all you need is ENB for GTA and a good ToD/config mod for Crysis

It all depends on what you prefer. If you look at GTA IV, the ENB series mod gives it a real nice look, but it's the HD texture packs that really push it over the edge of reality.

I prefer higher quality textures/models over lighting effects any day (then again I'm a little more old school than some).

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Modders = Add everything you can and go the highest res you can. To hell with system specs.

ChubbyGuy40

This. Devs optimise so it runs well and looks ok and decent. Modders add everything they can and don't care about performance most times

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
I like mods but sometimes it can be a pain. Getting all my Oblivion mods to work was a huge pain. Here are some screenshots I took myself. ]RyviusARC
Kool what Mods ???
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

ChubbyGuy40

But everynow and then the modders get it looking better and performing better.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't some of the Stalker Complete mods fall under this category?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Lach0121

But everynow and then the modders get it looking better and performing better.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't some of the Stalker Complete mods fall under this category?

it certainly looks a HELL of a lot better than vanilla stalker, but you need a hefty system to take advantage of all the additions and DX11
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

ChubbyGuy40

I was wondering the same exact same thing the other day :P.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#22 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
is it just me or those oblivion mods are just perv mods? I mean they look great but isnt there a way to get the non-perv version? im not really interested in having voluptous semi naked woman on ridiculous and stupid looking armors all around the world. but I do agree its a great improvement in charater models...they are all so ugly...and if there was only one that would fix the awful voice acting :lol:
Freak2121GTAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Freak2121GTAF
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

is it just me or those oblivion mods are just perv mods? I mean they look great but isnt there a way to get the non-perv version? im not really interested in having voluptous semi naked woman on ridiculous and stupid looking armors all around the world. but I do agree its a great improvement in charater models...they are all so ugly...and if there was only one that would fix the awful voice acting :lol:lightleggy
Uh, don't get them then? You're not forced to get those mods, you choose whichever ones you like or think you'll like. :|

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#24 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]is it just me or those oblivion mods are just perv mods? I mean they look great but isnt there a way to get the non-perv version? im not really interested in having voluptous semi naked woman on ridiculous and stupid looking armors all around the world. but I do agree its a great improvement in charater models...they are all so ugly...and if there was only one that would fix the awful voice acting :lol:Freak2121GTAF

Uh, don't get them then? You're not forced to get those mods, you choose whichever ones you like or think you'll like. :|

I like mods that enhance graphics I just dont like perv mods :P
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
[QUOTE="lightleggy"] I like mods that enhance graphics I just dont like perv mods :P

I think I installed one when I was 16. I installed it shortly after cause I was paranoid of my siblings using my computer :P
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Fiddle with the engine's rendering properties, replace textures with higher resolution varieties, or in the most extreme examples - create new assets (models), and or animations and import them.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="Freak2121GTAF"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]is it just me or those oblivion mods are just perv mods? I mean they look great but isnt there a way to get the non-perv version? im not really interested in having voluptous semi naked woman on ridiculous and stupid looking armors all around the world. but I do agree its a great improvement in charater models...they are all so ugly...and if there was only one that would fix the awful voice acting :lol:lightleggy

I like mods that enhance graphics I just dont like perv mods :P

There's plenty of those for Oblivion, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI7-YRAJnIk

OT: They have teh talent.

middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 middle-earth88
Member since 2006 • 1262 Posts

Modders have the luxury of programming for computers that are more powerful then the ones the game was orignally designed for. See the Oblivion mods, they require 1GB of VRAM, that kind of memory was unheard of at the time Oblivion came out, at that time the GPUs that were out only had a maximum of 512MB of VRAM.

Now 1GB, even 2GB is pretty much standard. Only one card has 3GB of VRAM per GPU.

Modders also have unlimited time to release their mods. Game developers can only spend so much time on making good graphics before they need to release the game.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
The pic hurts my eye.s_emi_xxxxx
You have one eye?:o Sorry to hear that.:(