help needed with my computer cpu overheating

This topic is locked from further discussion.

profanityVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 profanityVP
Member since 2005 • 393 Posts

Hi my specs are as follows

amd phenom xII 1090t black edition

asus m4a87td mobo

2 lots of 4gb ddr 1333mhz ram

crossfire hd 5850 graphics cards

now my problem is that, i want to overclock the cpu, since its the black edition there is unlocked multipliers, so just use 17, which makes it, 3.4ghz, the computer is fine, but at 18 for 3.6ghz it shuts down and says cpu overheat , i tried turning the voltage up but still same thing,

i just thought the cpu would be able to at least handle a slight overclock with no problems?? what do u think i should try to oc it a little further,

also the case is antec 900 with the standard fans etc,, i don't have additional cooling like water or anything,

Spike1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Spike1988
Member since 2003 • 1631 Posts
Be really careful mate! If it says CPU overheat, DO NOT turn the voltage up any higher. The higher the voltage, the hotter it runs. You don't wanna fry your cpu! I'm guessing you have a stock cooler on it? Generally when overclocking you should invest in an aftermarket heatsink. I have an Antec watercooler on mine and have overclocked my 2500k from 3.3ghz to 4.5ghz and it never gets hotter than 62 degrees under max load.
profanityVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 profanityVP

ok so i used speedfan to check the temps,

and it reads 69 degrees celcius when the computer isn't doing anything,

that seems way too high, anyone know what could be wrong?and where to start checking

Avatar image for gearsofhalogeek
gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gearsofhalogeek
Member since 2007 • 1020 Posts
1. did you turn the voltage back to stock? 2. whens the last time you cleaned out the dust off your heat sink? dust buildup causes heat. 3. if the votage is stock and there is no dust, try taking your heat sink off and reapplying some thermal paste. its not advisable to overclock with stock cooling.
profanityVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 profanityVP

yes the voltage is back to stock,

i turned cool and quiet off, i left the multiplyer default on 16, and upped the fsb to make the processor 3.7ghz,,,

i will purchase some compressed air to clean the dust out, see how it goes from there,

i am not too knowledgable with cooling options,, whats availbale that i can just install, and is the process easy or difficult?

sieg6529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#6 sieg6529
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
The Hyper 212 works great with your processor. I can take it to 3.6 easily and have pushed it to 4.0 before she crashes.