Hellgate Lodndon two tier pricing structure!?!

• 158 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ktseymour
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts
What the Heck are these people thinking! I was looking forward to this game, but having a monthy fee for extra content is crap! I don't know what the pricing is going to be here in the states,but if it's like the U.K. it will cost about 10-14$ a month for character classes and items and such. Now you don't have to pay a monthly fee , but I would rahter (if I had a choice) get these extras ala, single one time purchase to get just the stuff I wanted, or get it the old fashioned way...free. I don't know what these publishers are thinking, between the problems with Bioshock DRM and now ever increasing likelihood of monthy fees is going to destroy gaming as we know it.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts
I agree. I was sort of looking forward to this game but now, after learning more about their greed-based pricing scheme, forget about it. Why are we now being asked to pay for content that up until recently was included with the price of the game? This smells like nothing more than a cash grab to me -- kind of like horse armor.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

"are we now being asked to pay for content that up until recently was included with the price of the game? "

Ignorance leads to this type of reasoning. The pricing structure has been announced for months and months, and interviews with Roper from years ago also indicated that it would be like this. just becuase you two have been in the dark this whole time, doesn't make it "all the sudden"

The game offers straight out of the box:

Full 30-40 hours single player campaign

Totally free multiplayer. Not only that, but it is hosted on secure servers, and functions like Guild Wars (subways are like towns, the everything is instanced). Including auction houses, guilds, crafting, quests, 1vs1 PVP, waypoint travel, ect. In every way this is more robust then Diablo II could EVER claim.

And if you want, you can pay the OPTIONAL monthly fee, which ADDS to the game MORE items, areas, and monsters, Ability to create guilds, and some other features. There is talk of these additions also being availible every 3 months or so as a one time payment.

In every sense of the word, this game based on it's features is a fully valued and robust game. they are simply giving you options.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Its EA...
fuAWEckSOinMEg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fuAWEckSOinMEg
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts
I agree. I was sort of looking forward to this game but now, after learning more about their greed-based pricing scheme, forget about it. Why are we now being asked to pay for content that up until recently was included with the price of the game? This smells like nothing more than a cash grab to me -- kind of like horse armor.-wildflower-
I agree.... Nice sig btw xD
ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ktseymour

For players with Subscription* accounts ($10 /$14 per month), Flagship Studios will deliver exciting new ongoing content including new character ****s, areas, monsters, items and raid content, new game modes (including Hardcore, Role-Play and PvP mode), and additional character and stash slots. Subscribers can found guilds, select to nominate an officer and will have access to guild and player housing. Other features include in-game email for items, web access to characters and a place in future beta lotteries. I knew I should have clarified my post to curb dumn comments like the ones from dnuggs40. I was not disputing the fact that you are getting the full game, but that I'm sick of being soked from publishers for content that used to be free, even Epics' president was qouted as saying- "We always take care of our customers, we always give them stuff for free, and we're going to keep doing that forever. That's how we do it. This is Epic." , and I believe Cliffy said the same.

Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts
I agree
J-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 J-REAL
Member since 2006 • 595 Posts

If im paying any monthly fee for a game it will be WOW are Warhammer Online if it is any good. I will get more out of those games than Hellgate. But if it gets a AAA score here I might pick it up for the SP.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dnuggs40

"I was not disputing the fact that you are getting the full game, but that I'm sick of being soked from publishers for content that used to be free,"

a) You are not being "soked" if you pay for a full game, and in return get a full game.

b) Name one single Hack and Slash game the gives you that kind of added content for free. The closest I have seen is Sacred, but that was a one time deal. This is constent monthly additions to the game. And don't say guild Wars either, becuase you have to pay for expansion to get more items/skills/areas/ect.

The *free* multiplayer is VERY robust (from the details released) and there is not a single Hack and Slash game that can match what they are claiming. Not even close. Heck, most hack and slash games that come out don't even have closed servers to begin with, this is offering much more then that.

Seriously, this belly-aching is a bit silly at this point. You get a full featured game that is one of the most robust games (supposedly from the details) availibe in terms of features and content right out of the box. If you want, you can OPTIONALY pay the fee for added value and features and support the further ongoing development of the game.

And what does Epic give to the gamers? A few map packs? Not quite the same dude. This is ongoing development and added features on a consistent basis.

EDIT:

BTW, I really like Guild Wars payment method, and I think that is the best one out. But you have to realize, NCSoft is a big company that has many games. They were able to implement that ground breaking (and simply genious) payment method.

Flagship Studios isa brand new company, and they have not even released one single game yet. You guys need to use your head a bit and put things into perspective, instead of running around like the sky is falling and claiming "corporate greed".

NiteX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 NiteX
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts
Cool I hope to not see you guys in the game. Later losers!
niko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 niko44
Member since 2004 • 2281 Posts

"I was not disputing the fact that you are getting the full game, but that I'm sick of being soked from publishers for content that used to be free,"

a) You are not being "soked" if you pay for a full game, and in return get a full game.

b) Name one single Hack and Slash game the gives you that kind of added content for free. The closest I have seen is Sacred, but that was a one time deal. This is constent monthly additions to the game. And don't say guild Wars either, becuase you have to pay for expansion to get more items/skills/areas/ect.

The *free* multiplayer is VERY robust (from the details released) and there is not a single Hack and Slash game that can match what they are claiming. Not even close. Heck, most hack and slash games that come out don't even have closed servers to begin with, this is offering much more then that.

Seriously, this belly-aching is a bit silly at this point. You get a full featured game that is one of the most robust games (supposedly from the details) availibe in terms of features and content right out of the box. If you want, you can OPTIONALY pay the fee for added value and features and support the further ongoing development of the game.

And what does Epic give to the gamers? A few map packs? Not quite the same dude. This is ongoing development and added features on a consistent basis.

dnuggs40

B) Diablo 2....The thing is these things most llikely would have come out if they didn't charge for it.Oh and they lost more than they gained with this...Im not buying the game that i was mainly planning to play online if i have to pay to get all of it.If you don't pay it will feel like not buying expansions in an MMO.

icy06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 icy06
Member since 2005 • 727 Posts

And if you want, you can pay the OPTIONAL monthly fee, which ADDS to the game MORE items, areas, and monsters, Ability to create guilds, and some other features. There is talk of these additions also being availible every 3 months or so as a one time payment.dnuggs40

No, it adds what they have already taken out. More bank / char slots.... so that costs money for them to give me that? I think not. New content, I can understand, but this is not an MMO and I am not going to pay a monthly fee for this game.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dnuggs40

B) Diablo 2....The thing is these things most llikely would have come out if they didn't charge for it.Oh and they lost more than they gained with this...Im not buying the game that i was mainly planning to play online if i have to pay to get all of it.If you don't pay it will feel like not buying expansions in an MMO.

niko44

That made no sense. Diablo II did not have an online even close to as robust as Hellgate.

And no, they wouldn't. You obviously dont understand business. When a company invests in something, every feature cost money. The only reason these feature were implementated was becuase they knew they would get a return on investment through the fee.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dnuggs40

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]And if you want, you can pay the OPTIONAL monthly fee, which ADDS to the game MORE items, areas, and monsters, Ability to create guilds, and some other features. There is talk of these additions also being availible every 3 months or so as a one time payment.icy06

No, it adds what they have already taken out. More bank / char slots.... so that costs money for them to give me that? I think not. New content, I can understand, but this is not an MMO and I am not going to pay a monthly fee for this game.

Uh no, show me where they "took these features out". Ya...you can't. And you don't have to pay the fee. It is OPTIONAL only if you feel there is an added value.

Cinderwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cinderwolf
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts

What new stuff gave epic? like 2 bonus packs for UT 2k4 and 4 for the first UT...

I mean i don't like subscritions either but... how are these guys supposed to keep adding new content to a game on a regular basis for an undefined amount of months(?) years(?) without budget?... I they still have lifes, families and taxes to pay... besides for all the mantainance servers need and all that kind of stuff...

I don't know paying for BIG new stuff seems fair, paing for balance and bug fixes is not...

niko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 niko44
[QUOTE="niko44"]

"I was not disputing B) Diablo 2....The thing is these things most llikely would have come out if they didn't charge for it.Oh and they lost more than they gained with this...Im not buying the game that i was mainly planning to play online if i have to pay to get all of it.If you don't pay it will feel like not buying expansions in an MMO.

dnuggs40

That made no sense. Diablo II did not have an online even close to as robust as Hellgate.

And no, they wouldn't. You obviously dont understand business. When a company invests in something, every feature cost money. The only reason these feature were implementated was becuase they knew they would get a return on investment through the fee.

You don't seem to get they would have likely implemented all those features anyway with no monthly fee...So what did they do...They removed them/planned them for later and implemented a fee and called them "extra".I do understand business.Trust me when I say they lost more than gained with this...Sure they get monthly fees but they are going to sell less(even if they sell a lot) than they would have by making it completely free.Without paying players will feel
"gimped" in online mode...like i said its like not buying an expansion in an MMO.
Cinderwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cinderwolf

If im paying any monthly fee for a game it will be WOW are Warhammer Online if it is any good. I will get more out of those games than Hellgate. But if it gets a AAA score here I might pick it up for the SP.

J-REAL

You dont get AAA score... is not even a score... Its a category given by the size of the budget... AAA are all games with a budget equal or larger than 1000000 dollars.

niko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 niko44
[QUOTE="J-REAL"]

Cinderwolf

You dont get AAA score... is not even a score... Its a category given by the size of the budget... AAA are all games with a budget equal or larger than 1000000 dollars.

AAA score means higher than 9 or 9 itself in a review.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="niko44"]

"I was not disputing B) Diablo 2....The thing is these things most llikely would have come out if they didn't charge for it.Oh and they lost more than they gained with this...Im not buying the game that i was mainly planning to play online if i have to pay to get all of it.If you don't pay it will feel like not buying expansions in an MMO.

niko44

You don't seem to get they would have likely implemented all those features anyway with no monthly fee...So what did they do...They removed them/planned them for later and implemented a fee and called them "extra".I do understand business.Trust me when I say they lost more than gained with this...Sure they get monthly fees but they are going to sell less(even if they sell a lot) than they would have by making it completely free.Without paying players will feel
"gimped" in online mode...like i said its like not buying an expansion in an MMO.

No they didn't, again, read what I wrote. Nobody developes a product first, then does the pricing. You develop a pricing plan FIRST (or at least the framework), and THEN develop the product and split the features. Though some tweaking can be done, it's not even CLOSE to what you suggest.

It's not how business works, though based on our posts, I wouldn't expect you to understand....

niko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 niko44
[QUOTE="niko44"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="niko44"]

dnuggs40

No they didn't, again, read what I wrote. Nobody developes a product first, then does the pricing. You develop a pricing plan FIRST (or at least the framework), and THEN develop the product and split the features. Though some tweaking can be done, it's not even CLOSE to what you suggest.

It's not how business works, though based on our posts, I wouldn't expect you to understand....

They didn't announce the monthly fee as soon as they announced therefore they did the product then the pricing.Not everything is shown to the public.I guarantee you more than 5 of the things that subscribers were going to be free before they though of the monthly fee.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="niko44"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="niko44"]

niko44

They didn't announce the monthly fee as soon as they announced therefore they did the product then the pricing.Not everything is shown to the public.I guarantee you more than 5 of the things that subscribers were going to be free before they though of the monthly fee.

The people who have followed the game know about the fee for YEARS now. Just becuase you were in the dark doesn't mean that it's all the sudden. The ONLY thing that was keept secret was the exact details of it, and to this day we don't know everything.

And no, you can't garuntee me anything. All you can do is tell me things based off wild speculation that is based on nothing.

Cinderwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cinderwolf
[QUOTE="Cinderwolf"][QUOTE="J-REAL"]

niko44

Nope... thats wrong... I studied this at university... reviews have nothing to do... its the budget... an your point makes no sense... like if only 1 reviewer gives the game a 9 then its AAA¿... bleh... most review are subjective opinions anyway

niko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 niko44
[QUOTE="niko44"][QUOTE="Cinderwolf"][QUOTE="J-REAL"]

Cinderwolf

Nope... thats wrong... I studied this at university... reviews have nothing to do... its the budget... an your point makes no sense... like if only 1 reviewer gives the game a 9 then its AAA¿... bleh... most review are subjective opinions anyway

ITs forum language ;)...If most reviewers give the game 9 or higher it will be considered an AAA game(again around these forums...Not in the real world).And your correct but i did not make up the terms or rules just telling you what it means.AA is 8 or higher
ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts
The price stuff is old news don't want to pay then don't pay simple no ??
ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ktseymour
It still remains to be seen what we'll actually get with the full release of the game, and I would much rather have a add-on pack for about 30$ with extra content,features..etc, instead of paying a monthly fee. I just don't get why people are happy to pay between 120.00$ and 168.00$ a yr. just to play a game. This seems to me exactly what big corperations are trying to do to the Internet with tiered pricing on bandwith and content, but if that's what people want. I'm sure if some corperate big wig's were reading posts like this they'd have giant woodies, and with these kind of mentalities it won't be long before full games are a thing of the past and episodic content is the norm, and we are all paying 6* over the that 50-60$ range, sorta like what cable companies do with cable boxes. A cable companie makes a quater of all profits from the reantal of the crap they put in your house, but some-how they always say they need to jack up the prices every year, and so it seems gaming is headed down the same path because little teenie boppers have alot of money to waste, and are now being weaned on the pay to live mentality. I guess I'm just old fashioned.
Cinderwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cinderwolf
[QUOTE="Cinderwolf"][QUOTE="niko44"][QUOTE="Cinderwolf"][QUOTE="J-REAL"]

niko44

ITs forum language ;)...If most reviewers give the game 9 or higher it will be considered an AAA game(again around these forums...Not in the real world).And your correct but i did not make up the terms or rules just telling you what it means.AA is 8 or higher

ok... so if most people think the game is not a 9, but YOU do like a lot you are not goinf to pay for it¿... I know paying sucks but things are just worth 10 lowsy bucks...

Get a demo, try it yourself, make your own opinion... **** whatever people thinks about it and have fun...

For intance... Sup com is like a 9 or an 8 i cant remember... but I personally thinks its damn boring...

9 million people think WoW is the light, I think is farm from perfect and even further from balanced...

its all about havin fun yourself, thats what games are about i guess.

I dont know why you people waste time posting about something you dont like... you are not getting any award, you wont seem smarter... you only waste time and start stupid pointless discusions

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dnuggs40

It still remains to be seen what we'll actually get with the full release of the game, and I would much rather have a add-on pack for about 30$ with extra content,features..etc, instead of paying a monthly fee. I just don't get why people are happy to pay between 120.00$ and 168.00$ a yr. just to play a game. This seems to me exactly what big corperations are trying to do to the Internet with tiered pricing on bandwith and content, but if that's what people want. I'm sure if some corperate big wig's were reading posts like this they'd have giant woodies, and with these kind of mentalities it won't be long before full games are a thing of the past and episodic content is the norm, and we are all paying 6* over the that 50-60$ range, sorta like what cable companies do with cable boxes. A cable companie makes a quater of all profits from the reantal of the crap they put in your house, but some-how they always say they need to jack up the prices every year, and so it seems gaming is headed down the same path because little teenie boppers have alot of money to waste, and are now being weaned on the pay to live mentality. I guess I'm just old fashioned.
ktseymour

Full game:

30-40 hour single player full campaign

*free* multiplayer that includes secured servers, game world set up like guild wars, auction houses, 1vs1 pvp, guilds, way point travel, quest system, and more that I forget off hand.

Also, they are discussing 1 time payments every 3-6 months for people who would just rather buy the content without paying a fee.

"and so it seems gaming is headed down the same path because little teenie boppers have alot of money to waste"

More like the majority of gamers are older then 25, have jobs, are educated, and think $10 a month is a drop in the bucket for what they *say* will be the added features. I am not going to pay the fee right off the bat. Instead, I will play the game first, and *if* the fee is justified by it's content and I see the value, I will subscribe.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Also, they are discussing 1 time payments every 3-6 months for people who would just rather buy the content without paying a fee.

dnuggs40

I wish all MMOs/P2P companys would do this. I prefer to pay for something I know I'll get.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ktseymour
See, like I said, Old Fashioned.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dnuggs40

See, like I said, Old Fashioned. ktseymour

Since when is being old fashioned equal to being un-informed and making baseless claims?

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -wildflower-

I guess what sickens me more than the rampant display of corporate greed ( and yes, this IS greed!) is the current generation of gamers willingness to bend over and take it. Heck, they should put ads in the game too -- that way they could really maximize their profit. Wouldn't that be grand? I'm sure Games for Window Live (or whatever that joke of a system is called) is a great idea too, eh? How about horse armor and the nickle and dime garbage Bethesda's been pulling with their super groovy *cough* RPG. I can't wait for the day that they start charging us for patches. Hey, it costs money to patch a game and that money has to come from somewhere, no?

At any rate, Hellgate isn't a MMORPG and I refuse to pay for something that has always been free in the past. Then again, I'm not a sucker either.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

[QUOTE="ktseymour"]It still remains to be seen what we'll actually get with the full release of the game, and I would much rather have a add-on pack for about 30$ with extra content,features..etc, instead of paying a monthly fee. I just don't get why people are happy to pay between 120.00$ and 168.00$ a yr. just to play a game. This seems to me exactly what big corperations are trying to do to the Internet with tiered pricing on bandwith and content, but if that's what people want. I'm sure if some corperate big wig's were reading posts like this they'd have giant woodies, and with these kind of mentalities it won't be long before full games are a thing of the past and episodic content is the norm, and we are all paying 6* over the that 50-60$ range, sorta like what cable companies do with cable boxes. A cable companie makes a quater of all profits from the reantal of the crap they put in your house, but some-how they always say they need to jack up the prices every year, and so it seems gaming is headed down the same path because little teenie boppers have alot of money to waste, and are now being weaned on the pay to live mentality. I guess I'm just old fashioned.
dnuggs40

Full game:

30-40 hour single player full campaign

*free* multiplayer that includes secured servers, game world set up like guild wars, auction houses, 1vs1 pvp, guilds, way point travel, quest system, and more that I forget off hand.

"and so it seems gaming is headed down the same path because little teenie boppers have alot of money to waste"

More like the majority of gamers are older then 25, have jobs, are educated, and think $10 a month is a drop in the bucket for what they *say* will be the added features. I am not going to pay the fee right off the bat. Instead, I will play the game first, and *if* the fee is justified by it's content and I see the value, I will subscribe.

Exactly, getting a good single player campaign would suffice the price we pay for the game. then if you are interseted and want more you can pay for more, what's bad about this? I, for one would have loved to pay some money to get more content for diablo 2. the only thing which i would not like would be if they left the story hanging in between and intend to finish it in the small installments that come out periodically which would force people to buy them if they want to finish the story

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dnuggs40

I guess what sickens me more than the rampant display of corporate greed ( and yes, this IS greed!) is the current generation of gamers willingness to bend over and take it. Heck, they should put ads in the game too -- that way they could really maximize their profit. Wouldn't that be grand? I'm sure Games for Window Live (or whatever that joke of a system is called) is a great idea too, eh? How about horse armor and the nickle and dime garbage Bethesda's been pulling with their super groovy *cough* RPG. I can't wait for the day that they start charging us for patches. Hey, it costs money to patch a game and that money has to come from somewhere, no?

At any rate, Hellgate isn't a MMORPG and I refuse to pay for something that has always been free in the past. Then again, I'm not a sucker either.

-wildflower-

You know what sickens me? People who make rash judgements based from misinformation. Even though the facts get laid out, people like you just continue on your tirade that has absolutely ZERO basis in reality.

"At any rate, Hellgate isn't a MMORPG and I refuse to pay for something that has always been free in the past."

Please tell me about these games "from the past" that have all these features for free. I am dying to play them lol.

Or perhaps, maybe it's time for you to mature a bit and realize what they are trying to accomplish in games today is much more complicated and EXPENSIVE. The price of pc games have been relatively the same for a LOOOONG time, yet the development costs, and the cost to do new things (like robust online gaming) has gone through the roof. It's time for a reality check -wildflower-.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -wildflower-
I don't know -- I guess Guild Wars is the first game that springs to mind. Oh, and since it's a newer game, it's using all of that really expensive technology. By the way, what are all these spiffy features you seem to go on and on about but give ZERO information about?
ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ktseymour
I also think the "one time fee" thing is a good idea, if the content is worth buying. I am one of the "Older gamers" and have a little money to burn, but burning it on monthy fees ( to me anyway) seems kinda nutty, and please stop trying to take pot-shots at people's intelligence, and adding interjections, just because people don't agree with the subject matter. I posted this so like minded people ,that don't live and breath gaming, could converse on the subject, not so people would show up and troll the subject through the anonymity of the internet. So you guys like paying monthy fees that's great, stop trying to shove your viewpoints on everyone else and let those of us that don't follow every game, every minute of the day, have a say. Nobody's view point here is the absolute, it's just conversing on matter of interest, not a inquiry into every nook and cranny of a subject that is still, mostly speculation.
icy06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 icy06
Member since 2005 • 727 Posts
[QUOTE="icy06"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]And if you want, you can pay the OPTIONAL monthly fee, which ADDS to the game MORE items, areas, and monsters, Ability to create guilds, and some other features. There is talk of these additions also being availible every 3 months or so as a one time payment.dnuggs40

Uh no, show me where they "took these features out". Ya...you can't. And you don't have to pay the fee. It is OPTIONAL only if you feel there is an added value.

So its costs money to make inventory, char slots, etc unlimited does it? I would call deliberately limiting things like this in the game as this taking features out.

Its obvious that your a fanboy and you are not going to except hearing anything bad about this game, but you are in the minority here. Most people are not going to pay monthly for this, and nor should they.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

So its costs money to make inventory, char slots, etc unlimited does it? I would call deliberately limiting things like this in the game as this taking features out.

Its obvious that your a fanboy and you are not going to except hearing anything bad about this game, but you are in the minority here. Most people are not going to pay monthly for this, and nor should they.

icy06

has it been decided what would be the content of these preiodic updates ? if they have announced the content somwhere, cany anyone provide me with a link?

Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts

The fact of the matter is many of us here were Flagship Studios fans before HellGate: London even existed. In the first 3-4 years with countless video and online interviews, there was no mention of this fee for extra content.

Secondly the way they came up with the game was shown in an interview. Roper and his 2 closest buds sat at a table and said they wanted to create an FPS RPG. So all this talk about pricing first and game creation second is bullcrap.

Thirdly the game should of already been out, it's only been delayed because of the "features" they want to tack on for the extra cash in their pockets. Frankly I don't want to play this game anymore.

In conclusion all Flagship has managed to do is shoot themselves in the foot in the face of the hardcore fans. They might get some nice numbers as far as subscribers go. However a lot of the hard core fans are no longer interested in the game. We'll just have to wait and see :).

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dnuggs40

I don't know -- I guess Guild Wars is the first game that springs to mind. Oh, and since it's a newer game, it's using all of that really expensive technology. By the way, what are all these spiffy features you seem to go on and on about but give ZERO information about?-wildflower-

LOL

To get NEW CONTENT in guild wars, you have to...gasp!...BUY EXPANSION PACKS.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="icy06"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]And if you want, you can pay the OPTIONAL monthly fee, which ADDS to the game MORE items, areas, and monsters, Ability to create guilds, and some other features. There is talk of these additions also being availible every 3 months or so as a one time payment.icy06

Last time I checked, there were ALOT more features to come with the elite package. Nice try though...

"Most people are not going to pay monthly for this, and nor should they."

Actually, there are TONS of people who will...

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dnuggs40

The fact of the matter is many of us here were Flagship Studios fans before HellGate: London even existed. In the first 3-4 years with countless video and online interviews, there was no mention of this fee for extra content.

Secondly the way they came up with the game was shown in an interview. Roper and his 2 closest buds sat at a table and said they wanted to create an FPS RPG. So all this talk about pricing first and game creation second is bullcrap.

Thirdly the game should of already been out, it's only been delayed because of the "features" they want to tack on for the extra cash in their pockets. Frankly I don't want to play this game anymore.

In conclusion all Flagship has managed to do is shoot themselves in the foot in the face of the hardcore fans. They might get some nice numbers as far as subscribers go. However a lot of the hard core fans are no longer interested in the game. We'll just have to wait and see :).

Unstoppable_1

A simple look at their web site show tons of people psyched for the game, including the "hard core fans". I guess people seem to think that if *they* are no longer intrested, that nobody else still is. FAct of the matter is, many many people have been, and are still interested in the game.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ktseymour
Flag Ship Studios was founded by ex Blizzard employe's wasn't it?
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dnuggs40

And no, I am not a fanboy. i just rather look at the facts surrounding the game and make my opinion based on that. Not simply make up all sort of baloney about "corporate greed" and all sorts of wild and crazy speculation.

Fact: The single player and FREE multiplayer is one of the most robust to date from any game out (if the features they claim are true).

Fact: The online fee is completely optional.

So to even suggest they are trying to "rip us off" is down right silly. They are already bringing us a game that blows just about every hack and slash game out of the water in terms of content.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ktseymour
[QUOTE="Unstoppable_1"]

dnuggs40

A simple look at their web site show tons of people psyched for the game, including the "hard core fans". I guess people seem to think that if *they* are no longer intrested, that nobody else still is. FAct of the matter is, many many people have been, and are still interested in the game.

Ooohh my god man, this is not what we are saying,( sorry haven't disabled the C n'p feature in FF) we are saying it is crazy to bite the hand that feeds you, and sooner or later a good portion of gamer's aren't going to subscribe to this mehthodology of buisness. Sure, the hardcore will always be there, but they make up a fraction of gamer's now and unless anybody here actully works for FSS or Namco, please stop preaching what you think to be the gospel.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="Unstoppable_1"]

ktseymour

Ooohh my god man, this is not what we are saying,( sorry haven't disabled the C n'p feature in FF) we are saying it is crazy to bite the hand that feeds you, and sooner or later a good portion of gamer's aren't going to subscribe to this mehthodology of buisness. Sure, the hardcore will always be there, but they make up a fraction of gamer's now and unless anybody here actully works for FSS or Namco, please stop preaching what you think to be the gospel.

How are they biting the hand that feeds? Seriously? Even the people AGAINST the fee have to agree the single player portion and FREE online is well worth the price and is a FULL GAME.

And seriously, your intrepretation of the market is laughable. Just the "hardcore" fans will be there? ROLF! A simple look at the market PROVES that people are willing to pay *IF* they feel the value is there. And based on the FACTS surrounding the game and the content, it appears it will (can't say for sure though).

You have no understanding of the game market what-so-ever.

There will always be free (one time pay) single player games

There will always be games with simple/moderate online systems that will be free (one time pay)

And judging by the direction of the market, there will ALSO be games that attempt new things and bring online experiences that are more robust, for a fee.

And considering there are MILLIONS of gamers willing to pay for these unique online experiences, there will be no shortage of players for them.

Anuway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Anuway
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

This sucks, I guess I can scratch this game off my wishlist. I'm sorry I know that it's still free to play online but I want access to ALL the game, I don't want to pay monthly for it, god damn it, this aint a MMO for petes sake. I don't care how many ways you try and justify it.

Geeze I was really looking forward to this one, oh well.

jpkustra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jpkustra
Member since 2003 • 324 Posts

Nuggs, it's cool that you are more than willing to shell out more cash in addition to the original game. A lot of people are not though and you can't blame them for that. If you think having to pay for extra character slots or special armor is justified then go ahead and buy it. I think it's a bunch of crap. Make all features available to everyone and if there's such great and filling new content that you want people to go after then release an expansion pack! To me, removing some typically free features in order to put them into a purchase-only category is a bad business move. I'd rather spend $40 on an expansion pack then get nickeled & dimed every 3 months just for bragging rights because you have armor that wasn't in the free game. Cuz if you have to pay for "better" armor then the game itself is poo-tastic.

While you say many people on here don't have their facts straight, you can't argue against their frustration in paying extra money on top of the original purchase.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dnuggs40

Nuggs, it's cool that you are more than willing to shell out more cash in addition to the original game. A lot of people are not though and you can't blame them for that. If you think having to pay for extra character slots or special armor is justified then go ahead and buy it. I think it's a bunch of crap. Make all features available to everyone and if there's such great and filling new content that you want people to go after then release an expansion pack! To me, removing some typically free features in order to put them into a purchase-only category is a bad business move. I'd rather spend $40 on an expansion pack then get nickeled & dimed every 3 months just for bragging rights because you have armor that wasn't in the free game. Cuz if you have to pay for "better" armor then the game itself is poo-tastic.

While you say many people on here don't have their facts straight, you can't argue against their frustration in paying extra money on top of the original purchase.

jpkustra

I think you can, becuase what they are already offering for the base price is a very comprehensive package.

I guess I determine value by what I get...not what I don't. That's the problem I see here. All these critics are simply baseing their opinion on what they dont get, disregarding the fact the base game offers more then any Hack and Slash game to date. I look at thing realistically, and based on value.

Also, I never said I was willing, I said I was not going to at first, and if after the game is out and I can see deffinetively what is being offered and it's worth it, THEN I would subscribe.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

While you say many people on here don't have their facts straight, you can't argue against their frustration in paying extra money on top of the original purchase.jpkustra

No. Not really. People here just dont have their facts straight.

What features arent availiable that are "typically free" just to make better incentives to purchase it?

Of course you bring up the worst possible argument in the world after somehow claiming to be "nickled and dimed" for features that you want, yet turn around and claim that you dont want to pay for "better" armor because its not worth it. You dont find it worth it to pay for "better" armor then dont. Isnt that the whole idea? The features dont appeal to you, so dont pay for it.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ktseymour
Sure, some poeple will pay but for how long. Everyone knows that the numbers these companies throw out there are the number of people that registered, and aren't necessarily the number of people that continuously, or are still playing theses games, and no, I don't underestimate the Herd mentality of some people, and by judging most of the comments that are agianst "pay for Play", you obviously don't have a grasp on the market either. How's about it if web sites started charging poster's by the word or by the letter like Qualcom does, how many people do you think would still post?