HD DVD vs. Blu Ray

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for comstrikeiscool
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 comstrikeiscool
Member since 2004 • 3616 Posts
Considering HD DVD players can now play 1080p what adavantage does Blue Ray have over it? I'm curious because I'm thinking of getting an hd dvd player. Thanks!
BlacKJaCK2290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BlacKJaCK2290
Member since 2005 • 1775 Posts
The formats are pretty much neck and neck, just go for the one that has the movies you want.
MdBrOtha04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MdBrOtha04
Member since 2003 • 1828 Posts

Its pretty much a toss up between the two formats. I only support blu-ray because I have a PS3. I can however get the HD DVD add-on for the 360 when ever I want.

Scubei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Scubei
Member since 2004 • 212 Posts
There is a little bit more clarity in the blu-ray. But it also depends on which movies come out on which format. So for PEAK performance, choose blu-ray. But HD-DVD is real pretty as well.
crg13729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 crg13729
Member since 2005 • 85 Posts
Honestly, I would just say get a good upconvert player then in 2 years or so see how it is. One format will be useless in the future and its 50/50 right now.
rctyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 rctyke
Member since 2005 • 1122 Posts
Both HD DVD and blu ray are neck to neck. I personally prefer HD DVD thanks to the mandatory support of the technolgy (all HD DVD players, excluding the 360 add on, have Dolby trueHD support and all have an ethernet connection). But I really want a BLU ray player (or a PS3) with all of it's support for movies (Disney, sony, Fox, MGM, lionsgate).
TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TimothyB
Member since 2003 • 6564 Posts

It's neck and neck right now as most have said.

One advantage Blu-ray still has is around 20gigs more storage in it's dual layer discs. Blu-ray max = 50gigs. HD-DVD max = 30gigs. And Blu-ray may have a higher bandwidth, more data per second, than HD-DVD.

Most movies can fit fine on 30gigs with extras. What comes in question is 3hr movies and uncompressed audio. I don't mind there being a 2nd disc for special features, nothing new. And the more bandwidth. They try to be as efficient as possible, so most the time it never reaches the max bandwidth, usually it's at half with peaks here and there. Just depends on the movie. But because Blu-ray has more bandwidth, then it can be said it's shaper than HD-DVD technically, but in all practical real world stuff, I would say no. It can't be noticiably sharper for most movies, things are already so clear. You'd have to take screenshots, then magnfiy little sections to look at each pixel to find a difference. And movies that are on the both formats use the same exact computer file, thus they are a perfect match. Even a movie like Happy Feet, a good 2hrs or more, the entire disc was 14.9gigs, and it was razor sharp, flawless, and uncompressed audio.

It was odd at the begining. HD-DVD came out first with a player as cheap as $500 at 1080i (pretty much 1080p when given to a good tv). And the movies were rated highly, no flaws, really clear. All using 30 gig discs except for combo discs. While Blu-ray, started at $1000, and most the launch movies looked soft, some really bad like Fifth Element, and only 25gig discs. Often featuring less or no extras that the DVDs had. Twice the price and didn't look as good, 6 months later, there were only a couple 50gig movies that still didn't look that great.

Then, HD_DVD had new features, like in movie experience with the picture in picture, and other advance features that came first with the Tokyo Drift, which was also the first 30gig combo DVD disc. And the menus have been nice to work with too. While Blu-ray was mostly basic still, as they had not finalized the advance features yet. This also meant most early players would not support them when they do get them out. One movie did have a picture in picture, but they had to redo the entire movie like that, double the space. And many releases on HD-DVD have more extras than Blu-ray, and many Blu-ray movies have been delayed because of the advance features that might not even work for most people.

Overtime both have fixed their flaws and are neck and neck. HD-DVD still kills on price with $100 deals recently. Some of the new java features on blu-ray actually have odd loading times. Like Ratatouille warns a 30+ second black screen before the menu appears. I thought it froze at first. And the menu for extras worked bad, it would branch out to the right, and after watching a extra, it would come back with the most the menus missing until I moved through them. And Surf's Up atleast had a loading surfboard bar. And the pinball game it had seemed buggier than online website games. Was that what we were waiting over a year for? The was even part of the menu that got offset and faded and stuck in the black bar on Surf's Up while watching the movie, almost invisible. This movie took only 5 seconds or so to load on the PS3, but I heard it took longer on other players.

Avatar image for comstrikeiscool
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 comstrikeiscool
Member since 2004 • 3616 Posts
Wow, Tim. Very nice if you wrote that up yourself. Thanks, I appreciate it!
Mujambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mujambo
Member since 2007 • 1039 Posts
There have been some good articles recently all over about this. Blu-ray currently is outselling hddvd 2:1, and there's a big bias in many parts of Europe as hddvds and players are not sold, kind of sony exclusive. Personally, as I already have a blu-ray player with my ps3, I don't plan on buying another piece of hardware. I think it's gonna be similar to the vhs vs. beta (I think that was the war) that was seen a long time ago with vhs coming out on top due to political or "business" reasons. Paramount's deal with toshiba has helped hd-dvd sales, but that contract was for 18 months and I'm not sure how much is left. Toshiba had to shell out a lot of money to pay paramount for that deal though. I personally don't know anyone with a hd-dvd player and only one person with a blu-ray standalone.
Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts

Are there any good combo drives out there yet?

I know there are a few, but dunno if they run well.

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TimothyB
Member since 2003 • 6564 Posts

Are there any good combo drives out there yet?

I know there are a few, but dunno if they run well.

Infinite-Zr0

I recall a PC rom drive that could read both formats for $300, which would make a great media center PC type thing. But there are a couple combo players out there, but they are like $900+ and the one out isn't even allowed to have the HD-DVD logo on it because it doesn't support any extra features off the HD-DVD movies. Which is stupid because you could Buy a PS3 and a full HD-DVD player or 360-with-HD-DVD for the same price.

nfur33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 nfur33
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Hi, I have 2 HD dvd players,the 360 add on and a Toshiba HD-A2. I have a Samsung 56" DLP 1080i TV + 5.1 surround. I love my setup. I own 35+ HD DVD's and I absolutely love them. I have 6+ on the way. I also own hundreds of normal DVD's which I up convert with my HD-A2. It does a good job up-converting, but doesn't even come close to the quality of the HD's. HD is SO MUCH BETTER! Check out http://www.highdefdigest.com/ for accurate video and audio ratings onHD DVD's and Blu-Ray's.

I don't think that this "format war" is going to end. Xbox and Playstation 2 co-existed for years until Xbox 360 and PS3 came out. They, along with the wii are going to co-exist for a long time until something better comes out. That is why I think HD DVD and Blu-ray will co-exist. Both have a lot of support from many large companies, and neither is really "better" than the other. Until the movie studio companies decide on a format, they will continue to co-exist. From my research, more HD DVD's have "better" ratings on audio and video quality (according to ratings on highdefdigest which I have agreed with on every movie I own). The key is to decide which format has more of the movies that you want. I've wanted a PS3 since it came out (for the Blu-ray player. For gaming I would go with the 360 for sure). In the end, if you really want to enjoy HD movies, you need both formats. I'm sure I'll be joining the Blu-ray side soon. For the record, if I could buy a game on both formats I would choose Xbox. And if I could choose a movie on either format, I would choose HD DVD.

jesseandnikki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 jesseandnikki
Member since 2004 • 4834 Posts
Also consider how good your TV is. If I were you I'd invest in a hybrid player with both Blu-Ray and HD DVD, only because the movie studios are so split up you won't be able to get all your favorite movies on one format. Day by day the chances of finding the new HD format is getting less and less, so it all depends on the movies you want to watch in HD.