Has the honeymoon phase with your PC ended?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Looks like we are so over those days now.

But thinking back what did 8x - 16x DVD and CD drives mean ?

The first CD-ROM drives had very slow reads. I mean sloooow. Some "talkie" MS-DOS games can actually pause for long periods as audio files were fetched from disc.

4x and faster CD-ROM drives meant much quicker reads. They became more common in the mid 90's right about the time when full-motion video games such as Journeyman Project: Buried in time became fashionable.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: Ah yes, no installs back then.

I remember the very first DVD drives being very slow too compared to the ones we got later (6x-8x-12x). There were also Blu-ray drives and ones that could burn Blu-ray discs. But those never broke through like CD or DVD did.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I upgrade in bits and pieces (always hate the dreaded new cpu/mb/ram...it's the priciest bit) every year or two. But I'm very ocd with my cabling and such. Last build, I think I took my pc apart near 20 times to fidgit and change fans (I have a whole set of Noctuas ippcs...even the ip67 or whatever, that are waterproof to 3m, etc). I ended up keeping in my Phanteks fans as they were much more quiet than the Noctuas...so now I have over $200 worth of new noctua fans sitting my garage. lol...I'll use them...eventually.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

:

@KHAndAnime said:

You get over it. Now I try to spend minimal amounts of time maintaining my PC.

Same i operate under the philopsy of if it ain't broke don't touch the god damn fucking thing ever! except for the power button of coruse!

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

You get over it. Now I try to spend minimal amounts of time maintaining my PC.

Same here. When I first got into building PC's I'd be taking it apart completely every few weeks just because I enjoyed it. Now I hardly ever open up my computer. I also couldn't care less about overclocking. As long as my PC is stable and I'm getting decent performance I'm happy.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

I take it apart every now then as I upgrade and then use old parts to piece together a desktop pc for everyday use.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#57  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Looks like we are so over those days now.

But thinking back what did 8x - 16x DVD and CD drives mean ?

The first CD-ROM drives had very slow reads. I mean sloooow. Some "talkie" MS-DOS games can actually pause for long periods as audio files were fetched from disc.

4x and faster CD-ROM drives meant much quicker reads. They became more common in the mid 90's right about the time when full-motion video games such as Journeyman Project: Buried in time became fashionable.

The first CD-ROM drives could read at about 150K per second. All subsequent drives were measured in a sort of shorthand that was easier for people to remember so rather than saying 600K per second they just called it 4 times faster than the first gen drives (or 4X). Just like today how everyone says 1080p instead of 1920x1080@60hz Progressive Scan.

As to the OP, I've been tinkering inside of PCs since the 8088 days and the first machine I actually put together was a mobo swap from my first 386DX-25 to a 486DX-33. Every PC after that I built from scratch starting with the first gen Pentiums. The point is that I've been building PCs (both personally and professionally) since waaaaaay before this trend of trying to make them look cool so I never really got into that myself. All I cared about (and still care about) is what they can run.

-Byshop

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

She's nearly 6 years old. That 980x is still going strong!

jj-josh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 jj-josh
Member since 2014 • 266 Posts

@GTR12 said:

Yeah I undress my PC whenever I get the chance, it just looks sooooo good naked...

/sarcasm

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#60  Edited By JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

I must be near the divorce stage because I'm hoping it breaks so I have an excuse to get a new one.

TotalGandu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61 TotalGandu
Member since 2014 • 34 Posts

@intotheminx:

If you got a good build going, the honeymoon phase can even last a couple years :)

___ Like Cute little Ninjas? Check out the "Ninjaking : Samurai Maze" game for Iphone and Android on Itunes and the Google Play store - http://bit.ly/1WKPrgn