Halo 2 Requirements

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darkIink
Member since 2006 • 2705 Posts

The Games for Windows site has the Halo 2 PC requirements up. 

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games/Pages/Halo2forWindowsVista.aspx

They're pretty reasonable for most home PCs, but I just got a Dell 1501 laptop, and it has an AMD sempron 3500, at 1.8GHz. I have never played a PC game in my life, so I'm a n00b here.  The CPU has to be 2GHz to play Halo 2, so will my laptop be able to play it?  Or do I have to overclock it or whatever you call it?

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts

Your CPU is fine. The listed CPU requirement is in reference to Intel processors.

But I'd be more worried about your video controller, which is only a Radeon Xpress 1150 (that's what Dell's site says anyway), and is very weak. You'll still be able to play the game, but you'll have to turn down video settings to get a decent framerate.

darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 darkIink

Your CPU is fine. The listed CPU requirement is in reference to Intel processors.

But I'd be more worried about your video controller, which is only a Radeon Xpress 1150 (that's what Dell's site says anyway), and is very weak. You'll still be able to play the game, but you'll have to turn down video settings to get a decent framerate.

ProudLarry

Hey thanks for the info.  Do you know if I could replace the graphics card with one I buy on my own?

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts

Those requirements are actually pretty high for an XBox game, even for the much improved graphics.   I'm guessing the Live element may take up a lot of resources that warrant them though.    I believe I read a preview that mentioned a below spec PC still ran it fine on the lowest settings, which is basically the XBox versions graphics.  

Overall...  they're charging WAY too much for it.    I"m guessing the only people willing to pay full price for it will be console gamers buying it just to get some easy achievement points...    I might pick it up once it hits $20 if I'm bored one day.    

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
[QUOTE="ProudLarry"]

darkIink

Hey thanks for the info. Do you know if I could replace the graphics card with one I buy on my own?

No, you can't replace video cards in laptops like yours. Only very, very high-end gaming and multimedia laptops allow you to do that. 

proteKYFM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 proteKYFM
Member since 2007 • 272 Posts
The Windows Vista requirement is just ridiculous, meh, Halo 2 wasn't that great to begin with anyways.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
Those requirements are way too high for a game that doesn't even look that great by todays standards.
darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darkIink
Thanks for your insight proudlarry.  I agree that the reqs are too high.  Maybe it's for Live? or b/c of F-ing Vista.
racer360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 racer360
Member since 2005 • 2422 Posts
Thanks for your insight proudlarry.  I agree that the reqs are too high.  Maybe it's for Live? or b/c of F-ing Vista.darkIink
id go with the vista part
jamesgj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#10 jamesgj
Member since 2005 • 1190 Posts
Dosn't seen to high to me Halo 1 recommends 1.5 Ghz or something like that and Halo 2 has alot more outside vast invirements improved textures etc...