Graphics card OCing artifacts

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CANOFOWNAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 CANOFOWNAGE
Member since 2007 • 410 Posts
I recently got a XFX 9800gtx+ and slightly overclocked it. It started showing artifacts at around 40mhz over stock core clock. I eventually decided that i'd just leave everything at stock and forget about it. Unfortunately it still shows artifacts even at stock. The temp never went above 65c with or without the overclock. I have tried clean reinstalling drivers, adjusting pci-e frequency, pci-e voltage, nothing seems to work. I'm just needing a confirmation that it is only solvable by replacement.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Install an older driver, see if that helps.

If not, your GTX+ just might not be working right and you should see about getting it replaced.

teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 teddyrob
Member since 2004 • 4557 Posts

I recently got a XFX 9800gtx+ and slightly overclocked it. It started showing artifacts at around 40mhz over stock core clock. I eventually decided that i'd just leave everything at stock and forget about it. Unfortunately it still shows artifacts even at stock. The temp never went above 65c with or without the overclock. I have tried clean reinstalling drivers, adjusting pci-e frequency, pci-e voltage, nothing seems to work. I'm just needing a confirmation that it is only solvable by replacement.CANOFOWNAGE

Usually happens to be honest. Best not to overclock certain GPU as they are about max then can get. Other GPU tend to overclock well some don't. Do your research first. That GPU is pretty good anyway why do you want to overclock it?

CANOFOWNAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CANOFOWNAGE
I had read online beforehand of an average of 800mhz core clock and 2340+ mem clock for stock cooling with no problems on alot of rigs. Was interested also in that the 9 series was made for oc'ing considering it uses 55nm. I wasn't willing to bring the card to the edge of exploding, but i didn't think this small of overclock could hurt it.
teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 teddyrob
Member since 2004 • 4557 Posts

I had read online beforehand of an average of 800mhz core clock and 2340+ mem clock for stock cooling with no problems on alot of rigs. Was interested also in that the 9 series was made for oc'ing considering it uses 55nm. I wasn't willing to bring the card to the edge of exploding, but i didn't think this small of overclock could hurt it.CANOFOWNAGE

9800GTX is pushed a little further than other GPU in the series, higher models usually result in less overclocks. 9600GT is pretty good overclocker runs a cool 38C as well.

CANOFOWNAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CANOFOWNAGE
Oh yea, was reading your sig, do you notice a huge difference between quad vs dual?
voodoochild815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 voodoochild815
Member since 2008 • 282 Posts
you should of gotten a 9800gt... i have mine clocked faster then any gtx without any artifacts. but my 9800gt is a XFX and those cards are a overclockers dream.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

[QUOTE="CANOFOWNAGE"]I recently got a XFX 9800gtx+ and slightly overclocked it. It started showing artifacts at around 40mhz over stock core clock. I eventually decided that i'd just leave everything at stock and forget about it. Unfortunately it still shows artifacts even at stock. The temp never went above 65c with or without the overclock. I have tried clean reinstalling drivers, adjusting pci-e frequency, pci-e voltage, nothing seems to work. I'm just needing a confirmation that it is only solvable by replacement.teddyrob

Usually happens to be honest. Best not to overclock certain GPU as they are about max then can get. Other GPU tend to overclock well some don't. Do your research first. That GPU is pretty good anyway why do you want to overclock it?

lol whut i overclocked my 9800gtx+ that was already overclocked by BFG..........no artifacts either.
CANOFOWNAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CANOFOWNAGE
Yea, that's why i'm mad about it ha, how far did you oc it?
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
i think u should return it.