Graphics Card Help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lilsmurfaroonie
lilsmurfaroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 lilsmurfaroonie
Member since 2005 • 416 Posts
OK, I am a computer moron when it comes to piecing one together and having all the right parts and things. I recently bought a nVidia GeForce 7300 GT. Upon opening my computer up and figuring out which slots were PCI, AGP, and ISA, I came to notice the little nVidia symbol one my motherboard (I think thats what that big thing is called). It turns out that my computer has a really outdated nVidia nForce2. I am not sure if this means my computer has 'On-Board 3D Graphics' or something like that. So I put the cover back on and came here to ask for help because, quite frankly, I dont know where else to check. So I am here to ask a couple questions: Do I have On-board graphics and if so, how do i disable them to put in the new card (I did not notice any other card inside my computer that looked anything like the 7300)? Also, I don't even see how this sucker is gonna fit inside my computer to begin with, so how would I even put it in (I did find the PCI Express 16x connectors but first I need to solve the problem of how to get out my current graphics card (and locate it first off) out if i even have one)? If you know what I am talking about or can understand me at all, please PM me for help, or post here, either way works. Thank you.
muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 muppet1010
Member since 2006 • 5812 Posts
well you said that you found the pci-e slot right? well if it is empty and there is not a second pci-e slot with anything in then you definitely have integrated graphics at the moment. you should be able to just slot the new card in and if your lucky your computer will automatically recognise it and use it, if not...... Then I guess these are the standard steps to follow: 1. Uninstall the original drivers 2. Go to system BIOS -> Integrated ....? and disable onboard graphics 3. Restart system for changes to take effect (don't install any drivers) 4. Shut down and insert 7300GT 5. Start system and install drivers
Avatar image for lilsmurfaroonie
lilsmurfaroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 lilsmurfaroonie
Member since 2005 • 416 Posts
[QUOTE="muppet1010"]well you said that you found the pci-e slot right? well if it is empty and there is not a second pci-e slot with anything in then you definitely have integrated graphics at the moment. you should be able to just slot the new card in and if your lucky your computer will automatically recognise it and use it, if not...... Then I guess these are the standard steps to follow: 1. Uninstall the original drivers 2. Go to system BIOS -> Integrated ....? and disable onboard graphics 3. Restart system for changes to take effect (don't install any drivers) 4. Shut down and insert 7300GT 5. Start system and install drivers

Would immediately putting the card in the available slot and hoping it recognizes it immediately harm the computer or the card in any way?