Gothic 3 Finally Fixed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stomperat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Stomperat
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts

So i've just started playing this game again, when i first got the game in 2006 i threw it in a bottomless pit because it was an unplayable peice of trash. but i'm enjoying it this time around, the only thing wrong is the horrible stutters and pauses which are happening all the time, without this problem (which everyone has) it would be one of the best rpgs going around on the pc right now.

now that i've heard this expansion is comming out i'm really hoping the dev's will fix up the bad optimization of the first game aswell as making a good expansion. So many people would like this game if only it worked the way it should.

who else has played gothic 3 and could see its potential if it ran lag/bug free? would probably turn out to be my favourite game if it was without all that crap that makes it so frustrating.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

I don't know anything about an expansion but I know a sequel is in the works. But yes, without the bugs Gothic 3 would be fantastic. The most outrageous bugs have been fixed so it's playable but there are still bugs that can ruin your whole save.

Maybe you should check out the previous Gothics.

leper-messiahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 leper-messiahs
Member since 2008 • 399 Posts

I don't know anything about an expansion but I know a sequel is in the works. But yes, without the bugs Gothic 3 would be fantastic. The most outrageous bugs have been fixed so it's playable but there are still bugs that can ruin your whole save.

Maybe you should check out the previous Gothics.

RK-Mara

it is playable now, still buggy, but not near as bad, certainly had TONNES of potential, would have been way better then oblivion if not for the rushed release of a beta product. I played it recently and enjoyed it, the world was much more realistic and alive the bland oblivion.

col_hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 col_hannibal
Member since 2007 • 389 Posts

So i've just started playing this game again, when i first got the game in 2006 i threw it in a bottomless pit because it was an unplayable peice of trash. but i'm enjoying it this time around, the only thing wrong is the horrible stutters and pauses which are happening all the time, without this problem (which everyone has) it would be one of the best rpgs going around on the pc right now.

now that i've heard this expansion is comming out i'm really hoping the dev's will fix up the bad optimization of the first game aswell as making a good expansion. So many people would like this game if only it worked the way it should.

who else has played gothic 3 and could see its potential if it ran lag/bug free? would probably turn out to be my favourite game if it was without all that crap that makes it so frustrating.

Stomperat

Yes, you're right, in my opinion the Gothic games are some of the best RPGs ever made, a lot better than the Elder Scrolls Series. I'm curious to see this expansion and I hope it may fix some of the optimization issues, because that's what is killing this game.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
no its not, spellbound is now supporting the game, so hopefully they will release a patch soon
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Atm Gothic 2 is the best :P (ever imo, among similar RPG games). It lags plenty even on a quad core with 4 gb of ram :(. It has enough potential, but I really don't like the fact that they removed content that was available in the demo and not in the retail :( and they also removed some great elements from G2 :(. I can't wait for the expansion, I might actually finish the game this time and who knows, maybe it will be my new favourite Gothic :D but i sure hope 4 will be perfect :).
belboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 belboz
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts

but i sure hope 4 will be perfect :).DanielDust

The developers have just announced a new game (eurogamer.com) but it is not a Gothic game. They are creating a new universe.

I think the Gothic universe is dead, or at least dormant for many years. People were/are scared after Gothic 3. i personally would nou buy Gothic 4 for a year after it came out. I bought 2 and 3 the day they were launched.

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

It certainly have all features great RPG should have,and it is certainly one of best CRPG's out there

Graphics are hand made (more details,bether atmosphere etc) ,unlike in oblivion where they are mostly computer generated and feel same most of time

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"] but i sure hope 4 will be perfect :).belboz

The developers have just announced a new game (eurogamer.com) but it is not a Gothic game. They are creating a new universe.

I think the Gothic universe is dead, or at least dormant for many years. People were/are scared after Gothic 3. i personally would nou buy Gothic 4 for a year after it came out. I bought 2 and 3 the day they were launched.

It's official? it is in production, hell we even have some artwork and screens. Jowood is helping them (the ones that are making it, I don't remember atm who is making the game :( sorry), but they aren't making the game.
belboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 belboz
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts

Pirahna Bytes made the seires. JoWood was "just" the publisher.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=205956

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
[QUOTE="belboz"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"] but i sure hope 4 will be perfect :).DanielDust

It's official? it is in production, hell we even have some artwork and screens. Jowood is helping them (the ones that are making it, I don't remember atm who is making the game :( sorry), but they aren't making the game.

Spellbound is making the 4th game.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust

Pirahna Bytes made the seires. JoWood was "just" the publisher.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=205956

belboz

Sorry :P I never get the name, for any of their game, because their games don't "bite" so I don't like to say Piranha Bytes, but anyway thanks for reminding who makes the game :P

CavalAnts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CavalAnts
Member since 2008 • 398 Posts
hmm maybe should give it another go. Played it unpatched and not for long. Are there any good community patches also?
Avatar image for xAngels_Assasin
xAngels_Assasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 xAngels_Assasin
Member since 2007 • 467 Posts

hmm maybe should give it another go. Played it unpatched and not for long. Are there any good community patches also?CavalAnts

Yea are there un-official patchers like in Oblivion?

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

[QUOTE="CavalAnts"]hmm maybe should give it another go. Played it unpatched and not for long. Are there any good community patches also?xAngels_Assasin

Yea are there un-official patchers like in Oblivion?

Yes,as far as i can remember

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Are there any mods for Gothic 3 that make the melee combat.. better? I liked the game, the atmosphere, the setting, etc... I didn't care if it was a little glitchy, but the melee combat system is quite horrible IMO and so I stopped playing it. So are there any combat mods?

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
I remember reading that the only reason Gothic 3 ran so poorly was because of some glitch with the font to the text in the game. Google "gothic 3 font fix" to see what I mean.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#18 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Atm Gothic 2 is the best :P (ever imo, among similar RPG games). It lags plenty even on a quad core with 4 gb of ram :(. It has enough potential, but I really don't like the fact that they removed content that was available in the demo and not in the retail :( and they also removed some great elements from G2 :(. I can't wait for the expansion, I might actually finish the game this time and who knows, maybe it will be my new favourite Gothic :D but i sure hope 4 will be perfect :).DanielDust

It really lags for you? Though I haven't played recently, it was a game I spent many hours on a few months ago, and rarely ran into performance problems with a dual core and half the ram.

moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 moshakirby18
Member since 2006 • 1665 Posts
The gothic 3 community patchest don't fix the stuttering and random hangs/loads or whatever you want to call them.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JP_Russell

The gothic 3 community patchest don't fix the stuttering and random hangs/loads or whatever you want to call them.moshakirby18

Look up the font fix I spoke about. It involves something to do with changing stuff in the .ini file, I think. That's what causes those, according to what I've read.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts
I think Gothic 3 is a great game. I never experienced stuttering, but I did experience occasional crashes...which really sucks if you haven't saved often. As said before, I doubt the game will be improved much because they're working on a new game now.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

JP_Russell is correct. Changing the game's defualt font to a small one like Arial really reduces the amount of lag. Another thing you might want to look at ischanging Cache.SizeImage=128000000 to 256000000.

Honestly, just spend a little time and effort in reading the Gothic III tech support forums over at jowood.com and you'll find a lot of useful information on how to tweak the game.

Stomperat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Stomperat
yeah with the community patch 1.06 most of the games bugs are gone, and you can have antialiasing now, but anyone who says they can run the game without a stutter or pause is full of lies :shock: i wish it was possible though.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JP_Russell

yeah with the community patch 1.06 most of the games bugs are gone, and you can have antialiasing now, but anyone who says they can run the game without a stutter or pause is full of lies :shock: i wish it was possible though.Stomperat

Gothic 3 font fix. Google it.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'm in love with the soundtrack :)
Stomperat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Stomperat

Gothic 3 font fix. Google it.

JP_Russell

u think the font fix adresses stuttering? i've tried it, i've tried anything and everything the game will always have those stops and pauses when your running around. i'd love to see a video proving me wrong, it would make me happy to know that gothic 3 can run perfectly

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts
Download and installed the Gothic 3 Tuning Utility. Fiddle with the settings and you'll find the game runs very smoothly. There are still the occasional stutters, but hardly worth mentioning.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Atm Gothic 2 is the best :P (ever imo, among similar RPG games). It lags plenty even on a quad core with 4 gb of ram :(. It has enough potential, but I really don't like the fact that they removed content that was available in the demo and not in the retail :( and they also removed some great elements from G2 :(. I can't wait for the expansion, I might actually finish the game this time and who knows, maybe it will be my new favourite Gothic :D but i sure hope 4 will be perfect :).Gammit10

It really lags for you? Though I haven't played recently, it was a game I spent many hours on a few months ago, and rarely ran into performance problems with a dual core and half the ram.

Most of the time it runs perfect, after loading new zones, it takes about 2 minutes to stabilize :( and there is obvious loss of FPS when I just run on an open field with a few mobs.

Thanks JP_R, maybe if it still has problems in the expansion I will look for that patch.:)

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JP_Russell

Thanks JP_R, maybe if it still has problems in the expansion I will look for that patch.:)

DanielDust

I don't think it's a patch so much as just some tweaking of some lines in the .ini file. Or something like that.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DanielDust
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

JP_Russell

I don't think it's a patch so much as just some tweaking of some lines in the .ini file. Or something like that.

Tweaking then. But thanks if it runs as good as you say, I will most definitely get it the next time I install it (when the expansion is released if it still runs like crap)
Cpt_Meh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cpt_Meh
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts
I bought it, installed it, and got about 20 minutes in before I un-installed it. The graphics were awful (due to Vista perhaps), and everything else was awful. I saw the potential, and tried a few weeks later to try to play through it, but quit again. I guess I'll try getting all the patches and any mods that might improve it. It forced me back to playing Morrowind.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DanielDust

I bought it, installed it, and got about 20 minutes in before I un-installed it. The graphics were awful (due to Vista perhaps), and everything else was awful. I saw the potential, and tried a few weeks later to try to play through it, but quit again. I guess I'll try getting all the patches and any mods that might improve it. It forced me back to playing Morrowind. Cpt_Meh

It's not due to Vista and for it's age it looks very good, maybe there were some issues with the drivers, I don't know.

HotRodCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HotRodCompany
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

One of the reasons a lot of you are having problems is the way your system is setup.

32bit windows cant recognize 4gbs of ram. and if you are running 64bit you arent using an operating system that was built with gaming in mind.

A good dual core and a geforce 7 series card is more than enough to run gothic with relatively little problems, for example, slow downs or crashes.

My problem with the game is the armor system. all it did was change the way you look, it didnt change an actual armor rating. does anyone know if thats been fixed?