Gothic 3 Bugs and Patches

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 OrwellJames
Member since 2008 • 591 Posts

The game's on sale this weekend but reading the reviews, I see that it was very buggy on release. Does anyone know if the patches ever ended up doing their job? And will it even matter on a more modern PC?

snared04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 snared04
Member since 2009 • 455 Posts

The company bankrupted as far as I know; either way they stopped releasing patches for it a long time ago. There have been some community mods that supposedly help things along, but the last time I tried these the game still ran like crap on a pretty monster machine, so it's your call. Risky investment, if not a pretty cheap one.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

The Steam version of Gothic 3 runs fine and has all the patches. Do not try to customize the graphics settings - the game will crash no matter what kind of rig you have - just set it to "high" settings, and you'll be fine.

I'm playing Gothic 2 now, which is actually better than Gothic 3, and I highly recommend it. At first I couldn't get it to run - until I turned off Kaspersky antivirus - now it runs great, I just have to remember to turn my AV back on after playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts
i got it off steam 2 days a go and it runs on a GTS 250 gpu 50fps on high setting 1080p but every couple of minutes it drops to 6-10 fps and then go back up it still has some bugs and glitches but its very playable.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
The patches helped some, but some bugs still happen, such as important characters getting stuck in the world etc. I recommend installing this community patch before you start a new game. It fixes logical and graphical bugs and improves on some regular gameplay things. You can read all about it here. http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=165652
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#6 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

There where tons of issues when it first came out but man there have been some awesome updates for it. The last two COMMUNITY patches are wicked and make the game run well.

As for the game I really enjoy this series, its very hard but its very rewarding. Tons to do and alot of great missions and characters.

Steam version of Gothic3 has Community Patch 1.6 but NOT 1.7, download that and install it, it works with Steam version and it makes the game even better.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

Iam playing Gothic 3 with Community Patch 1.7 and it runs like a charm...no slo downs no crashes no nothing...ived been playing the game for 3 weeks now and i didnt have any probs with it...and iam playing it maxed out @ 1920x1080

Anyhow if u make up ur mind and get this game be sure to install 1.7 patch...coz this patch adresses almost all of the bugs,glitches and it will add nice visual improvements to the game and many more.:D

Gothic 3 has to be one of the best RPG out there.

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

Tried to play it with the latest community patch but I find it unplayable on my pc. I'm getting pretty bad performance and also extreme stuttering when looking around and it often freezes for several seconds.

BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts
With the community patch I didn't spot a single bug on my 80+ hours play-through. The game itself crashed 2 times during that time and when you consider it's a totally free roam game with a huuuuuge world, that's pretty darn impressive. Buy it and when you're done, get Risen which is also a nice game =)
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts

The first time I played it, it crashed all the time, there were numerous bugs, it was unstable, etc.

The most recent time I played it (with the community patches) it was perfectly fine. I didn't experience (m)any crashes or major problems in my 60+ hours of play.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

Tried to play it with the latest community patch but I find it unplayable on my pc. I'm getting pretty bad performance and also extreme stuttering when looking around and it often freezes for several seconds.

dsgsdfgf

Might be because u dont have enough memory...only 2 gigs of ram...

On my pc it runs smoothly and i have all details on max i have 4xAA(or 2xAA?) and i run it @1920X1080

If it runs badly on ur PC it must be because u configured it wrong or smth...I have a better cpu and more rams than you so maybe thats making a diff too...