Gothic 3 1.7 (800mb) patch is out!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts

Here, if you haven't tried Gothic 3 yet, now is the perfect time!

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

Great news for everyone still eager to play. Too bad I finished the game already with the community patch 1.6.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Here, if you haven't tried Gothic 3 yet, now is the perfect time!

LTZH

Enhanced Edition huh? Well we'll see about that.

DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
And this is where developers should pay their community cold hard cash for spending their own free time fixing their broke arse games,.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

Cool.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
And this is where developers should pay their community cold hard cash for spending their own free time fixing their broke arse games,.DarKre
If the developer wasn't strapped for cash in the first place, they would have fixed the game...way to make ignorant statements.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#7 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

sweet, i loved this game already, with this new patch im sure itll be even better!
Underrated rpg imo.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="DarKre"]And this is where developers should pay their community cold hard cash for spending their own free time fixing their broke arse games,.the_ChEeSe_mAn2
If the developer wasn't strapped for cash in the first place, they would have fixed the game...way to make ignorant statements.

Nice job making excuses for a developer who doesn't fix their games, and just releases the game with bugs that should've been found if they beta tested it.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

Damn. New patch messes up the graphics for me. I was one of the lucky few who was able to play G3 without a hitch when it was first released. I was looking forward to the new combat system and altered skill tree, but I get a terrible flickering pattern on the characters and animals. It's not like the flickering texture problems that a lot of people were experiencing when G3 was first released. This is more like the light/shadow effects are screwed up so the textures flicker back and forth between shaded and fully lit. Can't get it to stop no matter what graphics settings I use. Oh well. I've already played through the game twice.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GPAddict

Cool.

thusaha

LOL, your posts crack me up!

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

Gothic 3...ive dodged that games like a bullet,im quite happy playing gothic 2..i dont know if i should purchase since ive heard going from gothic 2 to 3 is like going from sirloin steak to tinned spam.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"][QUOTE="DarKre"]And this is where developers should pay their community cold hard cash for spending their own free time fixing their broke arse games,.Nibroc420

Nice job making excuses for a developer who doesn't fix their games, and just releases the game with bugs that should've been found if they beta tested it.

Most companies wouldn't exist if they beta tested every game to ZERO bugs. They HAVE TO release the game at some point to recoup the millions spent developing the game. Once there is a significant cash flow coming in they can work on bug squashing. If you want zero bug games at launch, go play a console.

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts

I got the 1.6 patch and it works fine. I wonder if it's worth going to 1.7 patch.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

I got the 1.6 patch and it works fine. I wonder if it's worth going to 1.7 patch.

slabber44
Totally, it's way better with it imo.
LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LTZH

Damn. New patch messes up the graphics for me. I was one of the lucky few who was able to play G3 without a hitch when it was first released. I was looking forward to the new combat system and altered skill tree, but I get a terrible flickering pattern on the characters and animals. It's not like the flickering texture problems that a lot of people were experiencing when G3 was first released. This is more like the light/shadow effects are screwed up so the textures flicker back and forth between shaded and fully lit. Can't get it to stop no matter what graphics settings I use. Oh well. I've already played through the game twice.

bogaty
Try posting a question on their forums, they seem to have an answer for everything....and so far I'm loving the patch.
Arronaxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Arronaxxx
Member since 2003 • 306 Posts

Is it compatible with 1.6 save games? I'm pretty much in 3/4 of a second playthrough, don't want to mess up old saves.
Anyway, what's there to fit the 800 megs? Can anyone pinpoint the most significant changes it makes?

Chopmo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chopmo81
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"] If the developer wasn't strapped for cash in the first place, they would have fixed the game...way to make ignorant statements.Johnny_Rock

Most companies wouldn't exist if they beta tested every game to ZERO bugs. They HAVE TO release the game at some point to recoup the millions spent developing the game. Once there is a significant cash flow coming in they can work on bug squashing. If you want zero bug games at launch, go play a console.

You're right but you're also making excuses. The game was released in terrible condition. If they wanted significant cash flow they would of released a game that was closer to being finished so people would of actually bought it. Their sales would of been much higher.

Chopmo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chopmo81

[QUOTE="DarKre"]And this is where developers should pay their community cold hard cash for spending their own free time fixing their broke arse games,.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Consumers like you make me sick. It's ignorant people who buy unfinished products that allow these companies to walk all over us. If nobody bought unfinished games developers wouldn't release them unfinished.

They have a budget, they know what that budget is. Instead of going over budget and thinking they can fix it later because they know Jonny Dumbass Consumer is going to buy no matter what, they could just plan according to that budget they know they have!

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

Thanks, TC. I started playing this game about a month ago with the 1.6 patch. I will definitely check this out.

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LTZH
Well, I've put about 10 hours into G3 so far...and no bugs as of yet...Even though this is my third play through, it seems I'm enjoying it alot more now.
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#21 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

Ah, but does it fix the bad Audio, glitches, animations, combat ?

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
That game is great, anyone on the fence, play it already. FYI, anyone who loves Gothic or NWN, get Drakensang now. Im gonna make a post about it once a get some more playtime into it, but doing the first area so far, its a solid rpg.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Does this patch makes the loading times smaller? I only played Gothic IIIoneyear after it's release, and I couldn't standthe annoying quicksave/quickload times.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bogaty

That game is great, anyone on the fence, play it already. FYI, anyone who loves Gothic or NWN, get Drakensang now. Im gonna make a post about it once a get some more playtime into it, but doing the first area so far, its a solid rpg. TheCrazed420

Hold off on Drakensang for the moment. It's got some game killing bugs as well. I tried the demo and liked it, so I got a DD version from Gamersgate. I got about 15 hours in and was hit with the Nebula Assertion bug which corrupts some of your saved games. Went on the fourms and found that you have to go and remove all the saves from the default folder, delete the folder, and then add them back in, one at a time until you find the corruption point and blow away all saves made afterwards. I lost about 5 hours worth of saves. Started playing again and got about another 20 hours in when I got the bug again. Lost all my saves to corruption the this time.

I just can't bring myself to start over from the beginning again.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GPAddict

I picked this up on clearance at Target when it was only $10, now I think its finally worth that. I played it for about 15 minutes and I must admit it does look enhanced and plays smoother, and most importantly it didnt crash (only game I ever had problems with).

It doesnt seem to work withmy existing saves, but I never got that far anyways, so no big deal.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"]That game is great, anyone on the fence, play it already. FYI, anyone who loves Gothic or NWN, get Drakensang now. Im gonna make a post about it once a get some more playtime into it, but doing the first area so far, its a solid rpg. bogaty

Hold off on Drakensang for the moment. It's got some game killing bugs as well. I tried the demo and liked it, so I got a DD version from Gamersgate. I got about 15 hours in and was hit with the Nebula Assertion bug which corrupts some of your saved games. Went on the fourms and found that you have to go and remove all the saves from the default folder, delete the folder, and then add them back in, one at a time until you find the corruption point and blow away all saves made afterwards. I lost about 5 hours worth of saves. Started playing again and got about another 20 hours in when I got the bug again. Lost all my saves to corruption the this time.

Ouch. Well theres the Gothic reference. :P
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_ChEeSe_mAn2

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"][QUOTE="DarKre"]And this is where developers should pay their community cold hard cash for spending their own free time fixing their broke arse games,.Chopmo81

Consumers like you make me sick. It's ignorant people who buy unfinished products that allow these companies to walk all over us. If nobody bought unfinished games developers wouldn't release them unfinished.

They have a budget, they know what that budget is. Instead of going over budget and thinking they can fix it later because they know Jonny Dumbass Consumer is going to buy no matter what, they could just plan according to that budget they know they have!

Your whining makes me sick. I didn't just buy the game blindly off the bat. I knew it had faults. Heck i haven't purchased the game until the community patch was released. But this thread was not supposed to be about b****ing the lack of developer support. If you don't like the game or the patch, then leave, no one is pulling your leg. Now if you excuse me, I got Gothic 3 to reinstall.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
Attn: Everyone Who Says "The Developers Should Be Patching This, Not The Community" - The Developers of Gothic 3 got pulled from the Gothic franchise by the Producers, ie: They aren't allowed to patch the game, or make any other games (the 'expansion' was made by a different developer). Get over it, be happy that the game is getting patched at all.
Chopmo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Chopmo81

[QUOTE="Chopmo81"]

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"] If the developer wasn't strapped for cash in the first place, they would have fixed the game...way to make ignorant statements.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Your whining makes me sick. I didn't just buy the game blindly off the bat. I knew it had faults. Heck i haven't purchased the game until the community patch was released. But this thread was not supposed to be about b****ing the lack of developer support. If you don't like the game or the patch, then leave, no one is pulling your leg. Now if you excuse me, I got Gothic 3 to reinstall.

You're making excuses. Do you buy a 6 cylinder car that only runs on 4? The simple fact of the matter is developers get away with this stuff because they can. The game may be worthwhile to pick up after this patch, I won't deny that but the fact of the matter remains it should of been in the current quality when they tried charging consumers 50 dollars.

the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
I don't see how running out of funds equals to 'letting developers getting away".
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"][QUOTE="Chopmo81"]

Chopmo81

You're making excuses. Do you buy a 6 cylinder car that only runs on 4? The simple fact of the matter is developers get away with this stuff because they can. The game may be worthwhile to pick up after this patch, I won't deny that but the fact of the matter remains it should of been in the current quality when they tried charging consumers 50 dollars.

No man, that isn't a "fact" at all. Read the post above yours. You know what pisses me off? Punks like yourself who don't have any idea at all what you are talking about, yet act like some authority on the subject. They didn't "get away" with anything...what happened to them truly sucks but is a reality in the game development world. It's one of the hardest industries to be in (development, not publishing) especially for independent and smaller studios. So many issues and crap they have to slog through just to be able to work on a game and keep their doors open it's insane. There are too many things game studios face like especially from publishers. And you know what makes it even worse? Angry little punks who at the end of the day trash these guys and their work and even worse without any knowledge of the situation claim these developers are "lazy" and trying to "rip people off". You have any idea how many hours a week game developers typically work when in full development cycle? Lets see you do better Chopmo81, go start up a game dev studio and show everyone how it's done...
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
Dnuggs. I dont see why you feel you must defend a developer who simply releases an unfinished game, and then leaves it to the community to fix it themselves. People buy games to play games, not to sit there and look at something half finished and be like "Wow, i wish someone could actually fix this"
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Dnuggs. I dont see why you feel you must defend a developer who simply releases an unfinished game, and then leaves it to the community to fix it themselves. People buy games to play games, not to sit there and look at something half finished and be like "Wow, i wish someone could actually fix this"Nibroc420
I don't see why you keep being ignorant about the fact that the publisher stopped funding the game and so Piranha Bytes (the developer) had no money to help fix the game. They didn't "leave it to the community to fix it themselves".
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StrawberryHill

[QUOTE="bogaty"]

[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"]That game is great, anyone on the fence, play it already. FYI, anyone who loves Gothic or NWN, get Drakensang now. Im gonna make a post about it once a get some more playtime into it, but doing the first area so far, its a solid rpg. TheCrazed420

That's scary about Drakensang. I'm playing it right now, as well. I've gotten as far as Tallon without any corrupted game saves. I'm a little scared to continue, because I've heard a few people complain about the bug.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GPAddict

Is it just me, or does it seem that they never heard of Encumbrance. :)

Chopmo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chopmo81

Wow, this is actually funny. People are getting very defensive and angry! You're right it's tough being a small developer. But with all finacial situations you know where you stand and you leave room for error. Nothing goes perfect so you plan your budget around that. And if you know anything about business, business's will fail.

If people didn't pay for unfinished crap products do you realize what would happen? Companies would change their business models and adapt. They would release good products.

Or they go under. In that case another larget company buys them out or the producers start a new studio. There will always be the demand so their will never be a lack of product for consumers.

So next time you want to defend lazy companies, use your noggin. Or you can defend them to the ends of the earth and call me a punk, whatever floats your boat, I find it humerous in the end.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bogaty

[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="bogaty"]

StrawberryHill

That's scary about Drakensang. I'm playing it right now, as well. I've gotten as far as Tallon without any corrupted game saves. I'm a little scared to continue, because I've heard a few people complain about the bug.

Yeah, it sucks. I guess if you have more self discipline than I do, you could backup all your saves to an alternate folder after every play session.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

glad to see the patch is working out for everybody.:)

as for the argument about whether we should support devs and their unfinished products, i tend to agree with chopman. it's true that situations vary from case to case, and it's not always the developer's fault when a product is technically unsatisfying. but they shouldn't expect the consumers to give them handouts as well. we have fully done our part when we buy the products with our hard-earned cash,and if these products turn out to be faulty --exactly like G3 --i think we have the right not tosympathize and let it go. that's whyi never complained aboutG3's demise,despite my affection forit.the productionvalueis just downright horrible.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

Wow, this is actually funny. People are getting very defensive and angry! You're right it's tough being a small developer. But with all finacial situations you know where you stand and you leave room for error. Nothing goes perfect so you plan your budget around that. And if you know anything about business, business's will fail.

If people didn't pay for unfinished crap products do you realize what would happen? Companies would change their business models and adapt. They would release good products.

Or they go under. In that case another larget company buys them out or the producers start a new studio. There will always be the demand so their will never be a lack of product for consumers.

So next time you want to defend lazy companies, use your noggin. Or you can defend them to the ends of the earth and call me a punk, whatever floats your boat, I find it humerous in the end.

Chopmo81

What I find humerus is you had absolutely no idea what the situation is/was behind Gothic 3, and even when corrected, you still spout off non-sense about "lazy developers".

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
That is quite an impressive change log! Thanks for the link. I'm getting a good download speed from Gamershell btw. I was able to play the game fine before, but I just might have to play it again. Maybe as a mage this time. Did you mage players enjoy the experience in this game?
LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LTZH
The mage experience in gothic 3 is better than any other combat wise.
spltra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 spltra
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
This game rules! Developers like this who make great games on small budgets need to be supported so they can have bigger budgets for future games which will kick even more ass! (hopefully) Imagine how cool gothic 3 would have been if it had the same budget as oblivion! Kudos to developers who pour their souls into making great games!
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StrawberryHill

This game rules! Developers like this who make great games on small budgets need to be supported so they can have bigger budgets for future games which will kick even more ass! (hopefully) Imagine how cool gothic 3 would have been if it had the same budget as oblivion! Kudos to developers who pour their souls into making great games! spltra

I share you sentiment. I tried this patch, however, and didn't care for it. I was getting periodic audio and video glitches. Patch 1.6 works perfectly for me, so I'm sticking to that. 1.7 has some good ideas, but I experienced some bugs.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"][QUOTE="DarKre"]And this is where developers should pay their community cold hard cash for spending their own free time fixing their broke arse games,.Nibroc420

... There is no excuses.. Reviews gave it lowered marks for its problems.. That hence has lowered their sales, they lost money from doing it.. There is no such thing as an excuse or need for one in the capitalist market.. That being said I would like to see re-reviews of games like this that leave vast patches that fix everything.. People get way too caught up on reviews on "how they should keep it because the devs deserve it for being sloppy".. I personally could care less abou the dev.. I want to KNOW about the actual state of the game on if its worth playing.. Not reading some outdated and inaccurate review and searching forums to see if its worth it.. Just my two cents.