Good RPG/FPS/Action video games for PC. 2000-2005

This topic is locked from further discussion.

padlock11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 padlock11
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I'm looking for some good FPS/RPG games to play in the 2000-2005 period, mainly because I have a 2009 Laptop with crappy specs. __________________________________________________

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Central Processor Genuine Intel(R) CPU 585 @ 2.16GHz

Graphics Video Adapter Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family Video Memory 1.31 GB

Screen Resolution 1440 x 900

Storage Total Memory 2.87 GB (RAM)

I played Deus Ex, and that was amazing. System Shock 2 was okay, but glitchy.

Loved Bioshock 2 for PS3/Xbox360 Vampire Masquerades was perfect, and that is the genre I'm looking for.

DX2: Invisible War was OKAY. It didn't live up to the original, plus is was semi laggy on my computer.

Currently playing Thief 3: Deadly Shadows I am have Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, and Morrowind in queue. Gary's Mod isn't that great, and I didn't really like Half Life or it's sequels. Any suggestions?

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Dark Messiah - best FPS melee combat ever and if you liked Bioshock you'll like its RPG elements.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Neverwineter Nights 1, 2 might work on your PC as well. The enhanced version fo Baldur's gate is probably coming out early fall.

I would reocmmend visiting gog.com and looking there.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Neverwineter Nights 1, 2 might work on your PC as well. The enhanced version fo Baldur's gate is probably coming out early fall.

Kinthalis

These games aren't FPS or action games.

I would check out..

System Shock 2 (1999)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl ( 2007)

Deus Ex (2000)

Vampire: Bloodlines (2004) Get the newest Wesp5 patch for this one.

Arx Fatalis (2002)

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

So you want an immersive sim? To begin with, check out GOG.com for a treasure trove of old games from pretty much any genre and should have all of my recommendations sans Riddick. With that said give these games a go:

-Thief

-Thief 2

-Arx Fatalis

-Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 (these games were seriously ahead of their time, don't let the release date put you off)

-The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Now I gotta plug the infinity engine games because they are considered some of the best, if not the best RPGs of all time. Try these:

-Baldur's Gate

-Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal

-Planescape Torment

nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

bussinrounds

I would check out..

System Shock 2 (1999)

Deus Ex (2000)

Arx Fatalis (2002)

3/5 games you posted are in the first post.. anyway, fable the lost chapters, FEAR, maybe a stupid suggestion but Bioshock 1?, ..
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

[QUOTE="bussinrounds"]

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

nilzg

I would check out..

System Shock 2 (1999)

Deus Ex (2000)

Arx Fatalis (2002)

3/5 games you posted are in the first post.. anyway, fable the lost chapters, FEAR, maybe a stupid suggestion but Bioshock 1?, ..

Oh, I didn't even look down there. Thought it was his sig or something. How about Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven ?

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

These games were all great on release, and have some of the elements you've requested...

Might & Magic VI & VII (1998/1999) - these are party-based RPGs, but you have a first person view. Obviously the graphics are fairly dated now, but the gameplay is still great.

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II ( 1997 )- although it's relatively linear, there is a lot of choice in how you play the game, including moral choices, first or third person, guns or lightsabers, and of course you can choose the force powers you want to spend points in. The expansion Mysteries Of The Sith is also good (originally intened as a sequel, but became an expansion instead).

No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 (2000/2002) - a lot of gameplay variety, great humour, and use of gadgets make these great games. The second game especially has some lite RPG elements in that you can upgrade certain stats.

Thief 1 & 2 ( 1998/2000) - if you like the third game, you should love the first two if you can forgive the dated graphics.

Clive Barker's Undying (2001) - an FPS that often gets overlooked. Offered a mix of gunplay and magical abilities in a nice atmospheric horror setting. Worth a look.

Arx Fatalis (2002) - a first person RPG that had the same kind of feel as the old Ultima Underworld games.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002) - another good FPS/TPS with Force powers and some great moments.

padlock11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 padlock11

Dark Messiah - best FPS melee combat ever and if you liked Bioshock you'll like its RPG elements.

Baranga

Requires a minimum 2.6 Ghz, unfortunately. Plus, I'd always avoided Might and Magic, but I'll look into the older ones.

Neverwinter Nights 1, 2 might work on your PC as well. The enhanced version for Baldur's gate is probably coming out early fall.

Kinthalis

I tried Neverwinter nights, and Baldur's Gate 1/2 don't not work on my computer (I thinks it's because I have a 64 bit system)

I would check out..

System Shock 2 (1999)

Deus Ex (2000)

Arx Fatalis (2002)

bussinrounds

I tried to start playing SS2, the graphics disappointed, but I was willing to overlook that in lieu that the gameplay was great. It started crashing at the same place in the game, and I was unable to fix it.
Looking into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but it looks like it might have too high of requirements?
Deux Ex - Already played and beat. Same with DX 2:Invisible War (This one lagged slightly, but not enough to ruin gameplay, and I played it to the end, and was highly disappointed... I tried running Human Revolution too, but... well, that didn't pan out. The lag was horrendous. Bioshock 1 lags as well on minimum specs.
Vampire: Bloodlines was amazing. I wish they would make the rest of the WoD games into PC games. I'd play them ALL. Just not into the whole Pen & Paper thing. (Vampire: The Requiem; Werewolf: The Forsaken; Mage: The Awakening are the three main ones I think)

Going to take a look at Arx Fatalis for sure. Thanks! :)

So you want an immersive sim? To begin with, check out GOG.com for a treasure trove of old games from pretty much any genre and should have all of my recommendations sans Riddick. With that said give these games a go:

-Thief

-Thief 2

-Arx Fatalis

-Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 (these games were seriously ahead of their time, don't let the release date put you off)

-The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Now I gotta plug the infinity engine games because they are considered some of the best, if not the best RPGs of all time. Try these:

-Baldur's Gate

-Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal

-Planescape Torment

Whiteblade999

I'll try the first two Thief games. I'm a little wary just because Thief 3 has -ish- graphics as it is, but since a couple of people recommended them and because this one is turning out great, I'll try them.
Baldur's Gate: again these don't, WILL NOT, work on my computer. I tried everything, and I loved them when I had my old desktop with Windows ME on it.
BG2: Same as BG1

3/5 games you posted are in the first post. anyway, fable the lost chapters, FEAR, maybe a stupid suggestion but Bioshock 1?, ..

nilzg

Haha, not a problem at all, I appreciate the help here. I just tossed Tom Clancy's Pandora Tomorrow, and Morrowind is not working.
Bioshock 1 lags, unfortunately, but I had the 2nd one on my PS3 when I had it and I loved it.
I replayed and beat Fable: The Lost Chapters multiple times, and even got my mom to play it. :P
I don't know if FEAR will run on this PoS, but I'll give it a try! :)

These games were all great on release, and have some of the elements you've requested...

Might & Magic VI & VII (1998/1999) - these are party-based RPGs, but you have a first person view. Obviously the graphics are fairly dated now, but the gameplay is still great.

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II ( 1997 )- although it's relatively linear, there is a lot of choice in how you play the game, including moral choices, first or third person, guns or lightsabers, and of course you can choose the force powers you want to spend points in. The expansion Mysteries Of The Sith is also good (originally intened as a sequel, but became an expansion instead).

No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 (2000/2002) - a lot of gameplay variety, great humour, and use of gadgets make these great games. The second game especially has some lite RPG elements in that you can upgrade certain stats.

Thief 1 & 2 ( 1998/2000) - if you like the third game, you should love the first two if you can forgive the dated graphics.

Clive Barker's Undying (2001) - an FPS that often gets overlooked. Offered a mix of gunplay and magical abilities in a nice atmospheric horror setting. Worth a look.

Arx Fatalis (2002) - a first person RPG that had the same kind of feel as the old Ultima Underworld games.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002) - another good FPS/TPS with Force powers and some great moments.

RobertBowen

Like I said before, Might and Magic is sketchy for me, but I'll LOOK at least. Saw NOLF and I think I'll try it, and it's sequels/"prequel".

Thief 1 & 2: I'm thinking on it, most likely I will try them.

Clive Barker's Undying is looking very promising, and the same to Arx Fatalis.

Jedi Knight: I avoid Star Wars, and all Sci-Fi as much as I can. Not my genre.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! I'd love to see more, even though I have a sizable list to look into. Keep them coming!!

padlock11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 padlock11

Question on Thief 1 & 2: Are they worth playing without the openworld map? The map is what drew me to the game in the first place. Are they better than or worse than Thief: Deadly Shadows?

TyberZannxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TyberZannxxxx
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

Doom 3, Far Cry, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Half-Life 2, Deus Ex, Deus Ex Invisible War, and Quake 4

padlock11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 padlock11

Doom 3, Far Cry, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Half-Life 2, Deus Ex, Deus Ex Invisible War, and Quake 4

TyberZannxxxx
You named two that I've already played. Did you even read my post? I'll look into the others.
FeiYenKen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FeiYenKen
Member since 2010 • 247 Posts

Halo Combat Evolved Pc, Phantasy Star Online Blueburst Schthackserv, Rayman series, Sonic series, Cod 1-2, Half Life, Team Fortress Classic, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Deathmatch Classic, Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good and Evil, The Sims, Flatout, Worms, Tomb Raider, Tom Clancy, Grand Theft Auto, Stalker SOC(should run fine it ran good on my crappy rig|), Star Trek Eliteforce, Mobile Forces, Elder Scrolls, Re-Volt, Transformers, Neverwinter Nights, Phantasy Star Universe JAPAN. All of these games should work fine

the_hitman_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_hitman_guy
Member since 2004 • 709 Posts
I second Undying, FarCry, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Make sure you force System Shock 2 to run on only one processor.
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Severance: Blade of Darkness (2001) Best action game every made.
Esoteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Esoteric
Member since 2003 • 720 Posts

Wizardry 8 is a GREAT turn-based RPG.

neo_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 neo_87
Member since 2011 • 394 Posts

TyberZannxxxx
I think doom3 ,far cry , half life 2 .deux ex invisible war and quake 4 wont run on his pc.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

You're almost askingfor The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, minus the RPG part.

It's amonst my absolute top 6 favorite games of all times. The game is a action/FPS/stealth hybrid with a thick atmosphere, great graphics, excellent meele-combat, excellent stealth mechanics, and is a incredibly immerse experience. Not to mention that the character is Vin Deasel.

You can kill enemies in numerous ways, from stabbing them with a screwdriver, to sneaking towards them and performing a sequence in which you grab their guns and shoot them in the jaw, you can push them off a a high area screaming to their dying destiny, you can break their necks, and many more impressive ways. You can play it as either a stealth game, or a first person shooter game.

padlock11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 padlock11

[QUOTE="TyberZannxxxx"]

neo_87

I think doom3 ,far cry , half life 2 .deux ex invisible war and quake 4 wont run on his pc.

Half Life 2 does, I think, and Invisible War lagged a bit in some places.

padlock11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 padlock11

You're almost askingfor The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, minus the RPG part.

It's amonst my absolute top 6 favorite games of all times. The game is a action/FPS/stealth hybrid with a thick atmosphere, great graphics, excellent meele-combat, excellent stealth mechanics, and is a incredibly immerse experience. Not to mention that the character is Vin Deasel.

You can kill enemies in numerous ways, from stabbing them with a screwdriver, to sneaking towards them and performing a sequence in which you grab their guns and shoot them in the jaw, you can push them off a a high area screaming to their dying destiny, you can break their necks, and many more impressive ways. You can play it as either a stealth game, or a first person shooter game.

Lucianu
Min Requirement 1.8Ghz Processor, and recommended is 2.5 and while mine is a 2.1, I find that anything with a requirement of over 1.6 and recommended higher the video card won't handle it even if my processor does.
Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

Question on Thief 1 & 2: Are they worth playing without the openworld map? The map is what drew me to the game in the first place. Are they better than or worse than Thief: Deadly Shadows?

padlock11
The majority of the gaming community considers thief1/2 to be much better than deadly shadows. It is a matter of taste though. Most people have suggested games i would say. Have you considered mods? Deus ex has a lot of mods, The Nameless Mod is pretty much an entire game. They are really easy to install as well (most come with a .exe that does everything for you). other than that, maybe Legends of Grimrock? just for the sake of more options.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
Spiderweb Software, I highly recommend the Geneforge series.
padlock11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 padlock11
Does it need Deus Ex to play or is it a stand alone?
Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grimlim

needs deus ex. It is basically a new campaign for deus ex, and it is incredibly well done. Along with new items and such. All u have to do is go to moddb and press on download (as long as u have deus ex on your computer), then keep clicking next. then ur done. But know that it is giant... like 88 gigs giant.

padlock11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 padlock11

needs deus ex. It is basically a new campaign for deus ex, and it is incredibly well done. Along with new items and such. All u have to do is go to moddb and press on download (as long as u have deus ex on your computer), then keep clicking next. then ur done. But know that it is giant... like 88 gigs giant.

Grimlim
Lol, no, it's only 891mb giant. I found the download, but I'll have to reinstall DX on my PC.
Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Grimlim

I believe it is compressed when you download it. I could be wrong, but i remember uninstalling it because it was taking up like 80gbs. although i might be thinking of new vision mod.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I believe it is compressed when you download it. I could be wrong, but i remember uninstalling it because it was taking up like 80gbs. although i might be thinking of new vision mod.

Grimlim

Nah, New Vision doesn't take more than 1gb or 1.5, and Nameless is about 800mb. Even with my Deus Ex install with God knows how many mods i've put into it (including the two mentioned) isn't larger than 3gb.

It's practically impossible for it to be 80 gigs. But, it probably was dramatically large because you've saved way to often, and didn't delete the older saves. You see, wen you save in Deus Ex, those saves are huge (i think it's between 100-300mb), so if you have a ton of them left undeleted, then it's .. possible.

Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Grimlim

[QUOTE="Grimlim"]

Lucianu

Nah, New Vision doesn't take more than 1gb or 1.5, and Nameless is about 800mb. Even with my Deus Ex install with God knows how many mods i've put into it (including the two mentioned) isn't larger than 3gb.

It's practically impossible for it to be 80 gigs. But, it probably was dramatically large because you've saved way to often, and didn't delete the older saves. You see, wen you save in Deus Ex, those saves are huge (i think it's between 100-300mb), so if you have a ton of them left undeleted, then it's .. possible.

ah ok that might have been it. i do save often. I just checked my programs/features i apparently didn't uninstall the nameless mod. it says it is taking up 88.1gb at the moment.

padlock11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 padlock11

Naa, I got the torrented version of it, and it was only like 1.31GB. I'll keep an eye on the saves though.

I'm actually super addicted to Gothic 1, thanks to the people that told me to go to GOG.com. :)

Also got Gothic 2 + NOTR, and thinking about S.T.A.L.K.E.R..

I hope that there are more old games that will run well on my computer though... :/

It feels like I'm running out.. o.O