Good PC games, deffinately worth buying

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TriumphOfGnomes
TriumphOfGnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 TriumphOfGnomes
Member since 2007 • 84 Posts

Im a console owner looking for more games to add to my PC collection. Alls i have is: Counter Strike:Source, World of Warcraft, World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, and Doom 3.

Any good games, that won't fail me? I like TPS, RTS, and FPS. RPG sometimes.

Any games I should be looking forward to, besides Crysis?

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
Bioshock was great, other than some DRM problems the game ran incredibly well on my PC. If you liked Doom 3 then you may also want to check out Quake 4 and Prey.
gamerchick_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gamerchick_89
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts
BIOSHOCK BIOSHOCK!!!!! also games like F.E.A.R, maybe Far Cry if that is your style, Fable is a good rpg, Resident Evil 4 if you didn't play it on another consule
crimson_axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 crimson_axe
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts

Company of Heroes is probably the best RTS you can get these days. I'm not an RTS fan, but I know good games when I see them. Empire at War is pretty okay if you're into Star Wars, but if you're hardcore about your RTS's and you aren't a Star Wars fan, then you might find this game a little lacking - however, it does have an expansion pack out, so there is probaby quite a bit of good gameplay to be had.

FEAR is a great FPS! Probably one of the best out currently. Bioshock was just released, however I personally found it difficult to really get into. Something about it just didn't bode well for me. Also there is STALKER, but that is sort of hit or miss depending on the type of game you like to play, plus you'll need one badass PC to run it on any setting worth playing. I've found FPS's to be a little lacking these days, but hopefully that will clear up soon enough. A last resort might be Call of Juarez, and you can't go wrong with Call of Duty 2 or Rainbow Six: Vegas.

Then you have Oblivion which is probably your best bet for an RPG right now, not to mention it can be played in FPS mode, so it's sort of a win/win thing. A close second would be Gothic 3, but it might be a little too unconventional if you're not a big RPG fan. If you have a lot of patience, and a nice stable rig, pick up Neverwinter Nights 2. It's a great RPG, but I personally stopped playing it because the damn thing just wouldn't run well. That could be cleared up now, though, with current patches and whatnot.

That's my list and best advice.

Billabong81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Billabong81
Member since 2004 • 188 Posts
If you enjoy WoW and like RTS games, I have to suggest picking up Warcraft 3 and its expansion. There are tons of characters in the game you will recognize from WoW (though WC3 came first!). It is cool playing the campaign and suddenly realizing the hero you are using has been mentioned numerous times in WoW, but you never knew who he/she was. Will make you appreciate WoW even more, plus WC3 in itself is an awesome game.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
Freedom Fighters, Command and Conquer games, Total War games, Max Payne games, Neverwinter Nights series, Battle Realms
Avatar image for ThErEdNiNjA0329
ThErEdNiNjA0329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ThErEdNiNjA0329
Member since 2005 • 52 Posts

I was also a WoW fan myself, considered my two level 70's now..

Anyways, what the above poster said is true. I myself want Warcraft 3 and its expansion, cause it lists events in the Warcraft Universe before World of Warcraft was born. What I think is that you might want to pick up Warcraft 3 and its expansion as well as Starcraft series, since its a similar copy of Warcraft, except set into the future.

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
Bioshock, STALKER, Company of Heroes, Oblivion or Morrowind for a deeper experience (That is if you can stand the graphics)
nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts

Darwinia.

8)

berobnx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 berobnx
Member since 2004 • 2931 Posts
Lost planet extreme condition, if u havent playd it on 360 allready, and uh, age of empires 3 + expansion (soon to be expansions) and uh Warhammer 40k dawn of war + expansions
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#11 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

just to name a few with games have already been released. Alot of these have demos to try out before you buy.
Supreme Commander
Company of Heroes
Overlord
STALKER
Bioshock
Medieval II

Games will be released next month worth looking into. They also have demos on gamespot you can download to try.

Medal of Honor: Airbornue
World in Conflict
The Settlers

OkuLaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OkuLaris
Member since 2003 • 803 Posts
Oblivion & Morrowind, STALKER, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, GRAW, F.E.A.R. and expansion, Titan Quest, Prey, C&C: Tiberium Wars, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher bay, Battlefield 2, Company of Heroes, Half Life 2+CS:S+DoD:S, Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory (wicked coop!), Far Cry, Bioshock, R6:Raven Shield, R6:Vegas, CoD2...did I mention F.E.A.R. ?? :P
w0lv3r1n32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 w0lv3r1n32
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I think TES 4 Oblivion and World of Warcraft are the best games.
Alnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Alnar
Member since 2006 • 145 Posts

F.E.A.R if you want to feel fear ..as well as enjoy all the fancy gun battles. However, got boring for me after a couple of levels..the game is beautiful, but when it keeps goin on and on with little story - becomes a real bore. F.E.A.R does well what its meant to : provide superb action.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R if you want to feel powerful and have a long-lasting experience. You'l need patience and guts for this shooter. But the effort that you invest really pays off. As well as that, you feel godlike when, after so many failures, you finally take down a base of skilled enemies in a flash all on your own and get all their loot. You get skill - you become good. This game doesnt give the played any benefits. Even on normal , its already hard if you compare it to FEAR or any other shooter..such as Half Life. Be sure to get the patches installed though.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion : not the best of the TES series, but worth playing. You may get bored after a couple of hours..or not, perhaps you'l get bored after a couple of weeks. Oblivion is beautiful..and when you first play it - it feels like there is no better game out there. But that goes away, so be prepared ))

Well, i'l just mention Indigo Prophecy a.k.a Fahrenheit (if you havent played it) ..a great gane from not long ago.

Another shooter that has top notch graphics as well as remains on of the best in terms of realism is Rainbow Six Vegas. But i liked Stalker better , he-he.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

Medival 2total war what a fine game.

but the thing i hate is that we seem to be having great pc games ported to the consoles likr half life but we arn't getting mgs and final fantasy ported to the pc i find this unfair pc demands better we gave consoles life and we can take away from them.

TriumphOfGnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TriumphOfGnomes

Ha ha, thanks guys.

Well so far I got most posts about:

Fear (I played the 360 version, LOVED IT)
Warcraft 3 (I do need to catch up on the Warcraft Story)
Quake 4 (Loved the 360 version)
Stalker (Seems good, but idk)
Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars (Looks amazing, but do i need to be familiar with the series?)
Bioshock (Im not impressed with it, but i guess i could try it out on a 360)
Supreme Commander (I always look at the game case lol)

Any more? More so the the FPS or RPGs this time lol. I have enough RTS's here, it'll keep me awake for a week!

Seamo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Seamo24
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts
Have u checked out Rainbow six Vegas? Awesome game:D
zacbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 zacbear
Member since 2005 • 94 Posts
Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 for solid online fps fun.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

ok PC games only and good ones

Half Life 2 + Episode 1, Dark Messiah, World in Conflict, Command & Conquer 3, Company of Heroes, Gothic 3, Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology, Stronghold 2, NWN2, Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, Titan Quest, Max Payne 2, Prince of Persia

Avatar image for Metal_Militia00
Metal_Militia00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Metal_Militia00
Member since 2005 • 77 Posts

i just purchased Medieval II Total War and its great, possibly a consideration for u

also call of duty, 1 or 2, ur preference really

dawn of war is a fun rts, also i just have obtained Two Worlds, and so far im liking it more and more as i progress in the game

TriumphOfGnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TriumphOfGnomes

Have u checked out Rainbow six Vegas? Awesome game:DSeamo24

Not a fan of Rainbow Six games. I dont like the duck and cover thing.

Seamo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Seamo24

[QUOTE="Seamo24"]Have u checked out Rainbow six Vegas? Awesome game:DTriumphOfGnomes

Not a fan of Rainbow Six games. I dont like the duck and cover thing.

How can u not like to duck and cover???:shock: So didn't u like Gears of War then? Anyway.....,check out the Battlefield 2 series then.

Tehgiggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Tehgiggles
Member since 2006 • 736 Posts
I love vegas its awesome.
Seamo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Seamo24

I love vegas its awesome.Tehgiggles

Yes it is!!! :D

TriumphOfGnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TriumphOfGnomes

Yea i hated Gears. It wasshltty IMO.

Nah still not tempting me to play R6Vegas lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 0010111012
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

i Just Burn them all, saves me hundreds of $$ and

i got more money to spend on hooker booze and your mom.

Avatar image for Carbinesoldier5
Carbinesoldier5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Carbinesoldier5
Member since 2005 • 4361 Posts

^You're pathetic for posting stuff like that.

Oh and I also didn't liked Gears of War THAT much either. It's still a great game, but it just gets so boring after some time, for me at least. Rainbow Six Vegas is good, but the thing I don't like about it is that the game puts you against an army of terrorists. I still play it nonetheless.

TriumphOfGnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TriumphOfGnomes
So now the next question is, Whats the best computer? OR Where can I build one up?
Anthony9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Anthony9000
Member since 2006 • 2173 Posts

So now the next question is, Whats the best computer? OR Where can I build one up? TriumphOfGnomes

newegg is a good website to get the parts from (if ur building ur comp)

rusty587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rusty587
Member since 2004 • 31 Posts

This link contains the best online PC stores to costumize your perfect rig.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_buyprebuilt_us2.html

Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
Half Life 2?
Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

U said u want RPG now.So here it is:

Elder Scrolls Series(especialy Morrowind and Oblivion),Diablo series,Gothic series,Neverwinter Nights series,..thats it for now :p

FPS

I think if u liked QUAKE 4 than u should try Unreal Tournament 2004 (unreal and quake are in some kind of ethernal war,but i think that UT is bether),Serious Sam 2,

brood_aliance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 brood_aliance
Member since 2004 • 1005 Posts

Out Now:
StarCraft (RTS)
FEAR Combat (the multiplayer portoin of FEAR, and its free (FPS))
Half-Life 1 + 2 + all the mods (CS, DoD, GMOD10, NS (FPS))
Command and Conquer 3 (RTS)
Company of Heroes (RTS)
WarCraft III (RTS)
Civilization IV (TPS)
Galactic Civilizations II (TPS)

Not yet Released:|
Universe at War: Earth Assault (RTS)
World in Conflict (RTS)
Call of Duty 4 (FPS)

And thats just to name a few.

Simmy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Simmy2
Member since 2004 • 429 Posts

Half-Life and Half-Life 2+Episode 1, definately a classic FPS. A lot of memorable characters too, an excellent storyline and overall a very good FPS all gimmicks things aside.

For a more multiplayer approach HL 1 and 2 has spawned a lot of excellent multiplayer mods. Otherwise UT2004 is an excellent choice. I find BF2 somewhat instable and lackluster compared to older games. I really enjoyed BF42 and Vietnam but I found BF2 somewhat... I dunno, I just really didn't like it.

For Strategy games I'd go for Civilization IV, Warcraft/Starcraft (Even if you prefer Warcraft you should'nt miss Starcraft, it's truly something by itself. Story is pure epic drama), Medieval II and Rome Total Wars are also very engrossing games, they offer a lot of strategy and depth into their respective period of time. SimCity 4 is also truly an excellent game, even if you're about blowing stuff up. Sometimes I just feel it's really refreshing, and there's no larger joy than to see your city thriving and growing up.

By the way if you consider buying a RPG I'd seriously consider buying Morrowind over Oblivion. Graphic things aside, I can truly and honestly tell you that Morrowind is the better game of the two, and that comes from a Diehard TES fan. (And if you're courageous enough to pull aside all graphics and bugs I'd even settle for Daggerfall)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GeryGo  Moderator

So now the next question is, Whats the best computer? OR Where can I build one up? TriumphOfGnomes

1st do you have the money for it? it'll cost about 6000$

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

i'm surprised no one's recommended escape from butcher bay

you may own it on 360, being a console gamer - if not, pick up the developer's cut pc version - it's easily half life 2's equal - you should check out half life 1 & 2 as well

you should check out the max payne games too, old but awesome

vampire the masquerade: bloodlines is a game everyone should be playing, too

and call of duty 2...

you should definitely check out bioshock if your pc can handle it (or system shock 2, the much better game, if your eyes can handle it), and if you can run bioshock, you should look into airborne too

if you want to play an archetypal pc game, check out medieval 2, and settlers VI is just around the corner

scarface_u2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 scarface_u2
Member since 2006 • 57 Posts

its like Rockstar dosnt exist try GTA San Andreas

least someone mentioned Bethesda already. Morrowind is far more immersive than Oblivion but if you go for show less substance Oblivion might do for you

Metal Gear Solid is a classic as is Halo, GTAlll, GTA Vice City,Mafia

DrDoomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DrDoomed
Member since 2003 • 11386 Posts

I say go for the old good titles they can't fail. Plus seeing as you missed them you might want to catch up.

Half life 1 (keep one eye closed due to graphics)

Max payne ,

Call of duty 1 & medal of honor,

maybe soldier of fortune 2 (ohh),

Age of empires 2 ,

No one lives forever 2

and Farcry as a warm up to crysis. Also get starcraft and warcraft3.

these should keep you buzzin until november.

Brghton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Brghton
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts

: FPS. Far Cry is IMO one of the (if not the) best FPS on PC. It can be hard at times (especially on Hard+ difficulties), and you it's not a game if you're not qute adept at any other FPS. I would also recommend Half-Life 2.

Deus Ex. is a very good game that combines FPS with RPG-concepts, and would be a good choice.

Standout game to look forward to: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

RTS: Three words. Rome.Total.War. If you can handle the turn-based movement, and like battles where you fight with a big, set force, you will most likely love this. Since you play WoW (quite alot if you have the expansion), WarCraft III should be interested for you, especially if you're one for lore. Other notable RTS: Age of Empires II and/or Age of Mythology, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 & Generals with their respective additions.

Standout game to look forward to: World in Conflict

EDIT: Forgot StarCraft (also get Brood War) at RTS. One of the best there ever was, strange I forgot...

Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

if you like RTS you should buy Rome: Total War. it is the best RTS ever (my opinion)

company of heroes is good but the campaign is crap.

for a shooter i would say FEAR or call of duty 1.

and command & conquer 3 is kinda crap when you compare it to the old ones wich are 100x better.

if you just want plain fun get Postal 2.

for a RPG i would choose Gothic 3 rather than Oblivion, just because Oblivion is to damn easy

Mynx_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mynx_15
Member since 2007 • 139 Posts
Company of Heroes,Bioshock,Crysis,The Punisher.....
TriumphOfGnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TriumphOfGnomes

[QUOTE="TriumphOfGnomes"]So now the next question is, Whats the best computer? OR Where can I build one up? PredatorRules

1st do you have the money for it? it'll cost about 6000$

*cough* parents *cough*.

Yea i got the money. I went on Dell.com or w.e and built a computer. Here are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800
Windows Vista
4BG Corsair Dominator DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz
750GB Hard Drive
Dual Drives: 48x Combo + 16x DVD+/-RW with double layer write capable
20 Inch Monitor.
Dual 768MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
AGEIA PhysX physics accelerator
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card

Will that be good enough for Unreal Tournament 3, and CoD4? It better be, costed me around 8000. Havn't bought it though,

1kalli1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 1kalli1
Member since 2007 • 398 Posts
that's an insane computer... anyways i recommend BF 2 it's awesome and u should get ur self total war 2 and kingdoms the expansion
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

Yea i got the money. I went on Dell.com or w.e and built a computer. Here are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800
Windows Vista
4BG Corsair Dominator DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz
750GB Hard Drive
Dual Drives: 48x Combo + 16x DVD+/-RW with double layer write capable
20 Inch Monitor.
Dual 768MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
AGEIA PhysX physics accelerator
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card

Will that be good enough for Unreal Tournament 3, and CoD4? It better be, costed me around 8000. Havn't bought it though,

TriumphOfGnomes

is that an honest question, or are you just being arrogant? it strikes me as conflicting that you could build such a pc (unless you just blindly picked the most expensive components) and then not know it would run games that a pc with a third of the muscle could run

TriumphOfGnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TriumphOfGnomes

is that an honest question, or are you just being arrogant? it strikes me as conflicting that you could build such a pc (unless you just blindly picked the most expensive components) and then not know it would run games that a pc with a third of the muscle could run

mfsa

I picked the best stuff, but did a little bit of research on some of the items, but honestly I have no F**king idea about any hardware for computers.

But seriously will that be able to run both Unreal Tournament 3 on High, and Call of Duty 4 on High? Obviously not at the same time though.

Like i said, i have no idea about anything in/about computers. Im a console gamer, im used to it being right there.

I just want to pwn noobs, and have no lag while im doing it

Alnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Alnar
Member since 2006 • 145 Posts

I'd say with this kind of rig..you'd be able to run games on high for at least another 4-6 years. You can definitely max out both UT and Call of Duty.

TriumphOfGnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TriumphOfGnomes

I'd say with this kind of rig..you'd be able to run games on high for at least another 4-6 years. You can definitely max out both UT and Call of Duty.

Alnar

Good,

its going to be hella hard to get this lol. 8 grand, my parents will pitch in 4g, now i need to make 4 g. GOD I HATE MONEY!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GeryGo  Moderator
[QUOTE="Alnar"]

TriumphOfGnomes

Good,

its going to be hella hard to get this lol. 8 grand, my parents will pitch in 4g, now i need to make 4 g. GOD I HATE MONEY!

get a job :lol: i need to do that too

TheDukeEmperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheDukeEmperor
Member since 2007 • 202 Posts

So many games to choose from... if you want, look at my game collection and wish list.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

I'd say that 6 years is an aweful long time for computer tech to not change enough to put a machine that runs on high today still running games on high in 6 years. With the way Intel and AMD are cranking out the new procs what's good today will most likely be an emachine in 6 years.

Anyway, great looking specs but vastly over priced and the physics accelorator is completely a waste. Especially with a Quad proc as they will both be doing the same thing.

I just built a rig that while not up to the top of the line, is pretty close I think. It cost me a fraction of your price and had one or two better things like a 22" monitor.