Go play Lost Alpha if you like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

Lost Alpha is a stand alone game, so if you don't have S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl anymore than that's okay because you don't need it to play Lost Alpha.

Lost Alpha is what Shadow of Chernobyl should have been which both versions took many years to be made, and it was and still is a great game on its own. It is buggy and you may have trouble installing it, but if you like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games as much as I do then it is worth it. The bugs are being worked out as there has already been a patch, and there's another one on its way soon.

Lost Alpha is a great addition to what is a great game series. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games (SoC, Clear Sky, Call of Pripyat, and now Lost Alpha) is tied with the Mass Effect games as my favorite game series ever.

So far I have played about 15 hours of Lost Alpha and it is amazing, and I am very surprised on how good it is.

Here is the link to Lost Alpha... http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha

Lost Alpha actual gameplay... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0bnpa9zDyc

Here is a link to a review(sorta) for Lost Alpha... http://www.manapool.co.uk/review/s-t-a-l-k-e-r-lost-alpha-review/

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Still waiting for STALKER with co-op/online.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Damn, downloaded this a few weeks ago. Forgot to install it.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I plan to download it soon.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Looks interesting

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Oh yea i've been meaning to play this, just haven't had the time. I do now though, downloading right now!

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I was going to re-install SOC to play this at some point I didnt realize it was standalone. I already have it downloaded so that saves me digging the SOC disc out of storage.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Might get it. Really loved Stalker. Every one of them

Boomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Boomer
Member since 2002 • 122 Posts

will have to check this out, the video sold me

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The only STALKER game I played was CoP, which was pretty damn good, I've been meaning to try and get the other STALKER games but I've heard they haven't aged well and are pretty buggy so I skipped them. I'll give Lost Alpha a try though cause I've wanted to try SoC for awhile now.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 with_teeth26

Been playing it the last day or so, I'm impressed with the work they did on the old Stalker engine, the dense foliage and lighting make it looks really nice in some parts. Character and gun models do not look awesome though.

Cordon is unrecognizable from SoC, not a fan of all the fetch quests but hopefully those become less common as you get further on.

metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
@Ballroompirate said:

The only STALKER game I played was CoP, which was pretty damn good, I've been meaning to try and get the other STALKER games but I've heard they haven't aged well and are pretty buggy so I skipped them. I'll give Lost Alpha a try though cause I've wanted to try SoC for awhile now.

only Clear Sky was buggy out of the box, and i mean so buggy it was unplayable but that was patched up ages ago. it's a good game except for the ending which is terrible. SoC is a much better game than CoP, it however lacks some of the features that appear in the later game such as upgradable weapons/armour. but other than that SoC is a much more challenging game and much more immersive. CoP, while still a very good game, was just too easy, and once you have completed it there's little reason to replay it more than a second time as there's not much left to explore.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ghstbstr

@klunt_bumskrint:

Well, go and install it and play it. It would also be cool cool if Gamestop did a review on it.

Get out of here, STALKER.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ghstbstr

@metacritical said:
@Ballroompirate said:

only Clear Sky was buggy out of the box, and i mean so buggy it was unplayable but that was patched up ages ago. it's a good game except for the ending which is terrible. SoC is a much better game than CoP, it however lacks some of the features that appear in the later game such as upgradable weapons/armour. but other than that SoC is a much more challenging game and much more immersive. CoP, while still a very good game, was just too easy, and once you have completed it there's little reason to replay it more than a second time as there's not much left to explore.

Lost Alpha has upgradable weapons/armor. I think that CoP is much more polished and just seems better in the way it was made, but SoC is a much better game in every other way.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@ghstbstr said:

@metacritical said:
@Ballroompirate said:

Lost Alpha has upgradable weapons/armor. I think that CoP is much more polished and just seems better in the way it was made, but SoC is a much better game in every other way.

I wouldn't say every other way. I liked that CoP has much larger areas than SoC. It was definitely a lot more polished and all of the game mechanics worked wonderfully. That being said, SoC wins hands down when it comes to story. SoC told a good story and the atmosphere was awesome, but it had a lot of technically drawbacks while CoP didn't have a great story but the technical aspect and the updated features of the game were great improvements for the series and I think they make up for the lack of a story. The atmosphere and immersion is still there.I loved artifact hunting in CoP too. I honestly have CoP tied with SoC in terms of greatness.

On topic though, I'll definitely be trying Lost Alpha. Looks great.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By with_teeth26

I've been playing Lost Alpha all day and I'm really impressed with it. I'm pretty blown away with the lighting in the game, its stunning. The atmosphere is still there and so far I haven't encountered any bugs save for one crash. It doesn't run as well as I would like, I can't max it with a 670FTW/2500k @4ghz/8gigs ddr3 but given the density of foliage and accuracy of the lighting i'm not surprised its a demanding game. I love how it starts you with like no gear, its so satisfying to build your way up from the ground. CoP started you out with an AK and you started finding better weapons pretty fast, I missed the initial gearing up and frantic fire fights in that game.

It seems to take the polish and features of CoP like weapon repairing/upgrading and combine it with the more interesting areas/story of the first game, but with much improved graphics and redone levels.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ghstbstr

@with_teeth26:

You do know that there is stuff in chest next to the stairs in the first room of the bunker that you start off in? There's a PMm, ammo, flashlight, food, and other stuff. In CoP you your character works for the military and is undercover as a Stalker which is why you start out with better stuff.

Lost Alpha is very demanding as I only get between 20fps - 40fps that compared to SoC that I was getting way over 100fps.

I have had a few issues with Lost Alpha, but that is to be expected. It's okay because it is awsome, as it like playing a whole new game.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I'm loving the mod so far, I found that the combat is a lot more tense and you can die pretty quickly.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

While it does look great its performance is poor... Very poor. That being said it is a MOD so its very much understandable. The image below on a GTX 780 Ti gets me 20-25FPS...

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By with_teeth26

@ghstbstr said:

@with_teeth26 said:

I've been playing Lost Alpha all day and I'm really impressed with it. I'm pretty blown away with the lighting in the game, its stunning. The atmosphere is still there and so far I haven't encountered any bugs save for one crash. It doesn't run as well as I would like, I can't max it with a 670FTW/2500k @4ghz/8gigs ddr3 but given the density of foliage and accuracy of the lighting i'm not surprised its a demanding game. I love how it starts you with like no gear, its so satisfying to build your way up from the ground. CoP started you out with an AK and you started finding better weapons pretty fast, I missed the initial gearing up and frantic fire fights in that game.

It seems to take the polish and features of CoP like weapon repairing/upgrading and combine it with the more interesting areas/story of the first game, but with much improved graphics and redone levels.

You do know that there is stuff in chest next to the stairs in the first room of the bunker that you start off in? There's a PMm, ammo, flashlight, food, and other stuff. In CoP you your character works for the military and is undercover as a Stalker which is why you start out with better stuff.

Lost Alpha is very demanding as I only between 20fps - 40fps that compared to SoC that I was getting way over 100fps.

I have had a few issues with Lost Alpha, but that is to be expected. It's okay because it is awsome, as it like playing a whole new game.

yea but the gear you start with is basic enough that you still feel like you are starting from scratch. I'm not hating on CoP for starting you with an AK, it did make sense, I just missed the sense of gaining power early on in the game.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

While it does look great its performance is poor... Very poor. That being said it is a MOD so its very much understandable. The image below on a GTX 780 Ti gets me 20-25FPS...

I had some framerate issues too on my GTX780 rig. Turning off grass shadows fixed it for me.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@pelvist said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I had some framerate issues too on my GTX780 rig. Turning off grass shadows fixed it for me.

Meh I just stuck the lighting on to DX9... I found the lighting in DX10/10.1 too distracting and over the top anyway.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I'm definitely impressed with this. Having a lot of fun. That being said, the performance is pretty poor, worse than I expected. However, the game looks pretty damn good. I've been itching for more STALKER as it's probably my favorite game series. This doesn't replace my longing for STALKER 2, but it's great none the less.