Getting a new TV for next gen gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts

Hey Gamespot, its been some time since I upgraded my TV as right now I am using a 42 inch Panasonic Vierra (720P). Anyways I was really wanting a projector-but it just doesn't seem to match my needs/wants. Anyways now im not sure where to go!

A few questions!

A)Is 4K useless? For how long do you think it will not be widely used?

B) How does 1080P or even 720P video look on 4K Tvs?

C)Which TV is best? I am thinking of like 8-10 feet is furthest i will be from tv, so what size is good? IsSeiki horrible?

D)  Price is not a big problem, can spend $5k+ tho a few thousand should be good I think?

E) TV will mainly be used for gaming, some HD Videos and possibly as a monitor *tho highly unlikely*

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
4K will probably take another 2 years to be at a reasonable price and with enough content to make it worth buying, personally I'd get a great 1080p plasma TV, you'd spend way less, then you can save the rest of the money and upgrade again whenever 4K becomes standard.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Until higher than 1080P, and everything is running at 60fps is the standard, I'll stick with what I have. I'm sure there are still many people who still use SD / CRT screens. This is interesting, at the very least: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57599449-221/budget-tv-resolution-rumble-720p-plasma-vs-4k-led-lcd/ It's been posted somewhere, though I can't remember who or what topic it was posted in, but it's something to think about.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

You should be happy with a high end plasma such as one of the recent panasonic ones for about $2k

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11281 Posts

If your budget is truly as high as you say it is, I fully recommend that you get a Panasonic ZT60 60" flagship plasma, or perhaps the 65" VT60 which has almost as good picture quality but is 5 inches bigger and slightly cheaper.

It/they are the best HDTVs on the market today, and greatly outperform Sony's 4K LCD displays... Since PS4/Xbone games will be in 1080p anyways, you'll have no need for 4K resolution when it comes to gaming. the superior black levels, contrast and colour accuracy of Panasonics high end plasmas will weigh in a lot more.

Seikis 50" 4K LCD is crap. it cost over $1000 but a sub $500 Samsung plasma will absolutely destroy it in every way possible (almost). 

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

If your budget is truly as high as you say it is, I fully recommend that you get a Panasonic ZT60 60" flagship plasma, or perhaps the 65" VT60 which has almost as good picture quality but is 5 inches bigger and slightly cheaper.

It/they are the best HDTVs on the market today, and greatly outperform Sony's 4K LCD displays... Since PS4/Xbone games will be in 1080p anyways, you'll have no need for 4K resolution when it comes to gaming. the superior black levels, contrast and colour accuracy of Panasonics high end plasmas will weigh in a lot more.

Seikis 50" 4K LCD is crap. it cost over $1000 but a sub $500 Samsung plasma will absolutely destroy it in every way possible (almost). 

Mozelleple112
This if he doesn't want to go projector this is his best upgrade path.
pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

4K will never be used for next-gen gaming. Maybe 9th gen. Even my $400 graphics card that is more than twice the power of a PS4 has terrible performance in 4K. 4K takes four times the processing power of 1080p, which the new consoles will barely be able to handle.

toughtrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 toughtrasher
Member since 2013 • 268 Posts

My friend had a Seiki model before, though I don't have the exact number. He told me it stopped working within 3 or 4 days after buying it

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xfactor19990
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

DJ_Headshot

fair enough i will look at the 60 inch from panasonic, possibly something bigger? 80 inches? I really want a projector but gaming room is too brignt etc.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mozelleple112
[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

xfactor19990

fair enough i will look at the 60 inch from panasonic, possibly something bigger? 80 inches? I really want a projector but gaming room is too brignt etc.

65" is as big as Panasonics VT60 goes. If you want an 80" TV you're only option is Sharp, which doesn't really have good picture quality. poor blacks, inaccurate colour and a very corny/grainy image. I could definitely recommend a projector as they ALWAYS beat HDTVs when it comes to screen size to picture quality to price ratio. But it will require an overhaul of your home for optimal performance (which means blocked out light and dark walls, painted gray/black) If that is possible for you, your best bet is the Sony HW50 projector which I believe is around $3000 in the US. even with white walls the HW50 will have stunning performance, but no light is a bare minimum.
xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xfactor19990

[QUOTE="xfactor19990"][QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"] This if he doesn't want to go projector this is his best upgrade path.Mozelleple112

65" is as big as Panasonics VT60 goes. If you want an 80" TV you're only option is Sharp, which doesn't really have good picture quality. poor blacks, inaccurate colour and a very corny/grainy image. I could definitely recommend a projector as they ALWAYS beat HDTVs when it comes to screen size to picture quality to price ratio. But it will require an overhaul of your home for optimal performance (which means blocked out light and dark walls, painted gray/black) If that is possible for you, your best bet is the Sony HW50 projector which I believe is around $3000 in the US. even with white walls the HW50 will have stunning performance, but no light is a bare minimum.

sigh well now I kinda want to just wait til I can do projector, haha, how is the new $1k Epson 1080P projector? Maybe get a step between and then get legit projector when 2k-4k becomes mainstream.....

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mozelleple112

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="xfactor19990"]fair enough i will look at the 60 inch from panasonic, possibly something bigger? 80 inches? I really want a projector but gaming room is too brignt etc.xfactor19990

sigh well now I kinda want to just wait til I can do projector, haha, how is the new $1k Epson 1080P projector? Maybe get a step between and then get legit projector when 2k-4k becomes mainstream.....

Epsons budget projectors are decent. The Epson TW9100 (goes by a different name in the US I think) should cost around $3000 and is an excellent value for money projector and especially good in 3D and bright rooms. but of course, darker room with either Sony's HW50 or JVCs X35/X55 are a greater deal. Epson is sort of a compromise for those who those with living rooms / white walls
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mozelleple112

As for 4K projectors, the Sony VPL-VW1000ES for ($25,000 in Norway) is an absolute beauty and has some of the best picture quality of any display. Unfortunately the lens required for a projector like this is way too expensive for 4K to ever be cheap (anytime soon at least). JVC's working on making "sort-of" 4K projectors (by stretching pixels) and these cost $5000-10K

In other words..

. I can't imagine seeing a 4K consumer projector in the sub $5000 class for at least another 2 years

From Sony I can imagine:

HW60 replacing HW50 ($4000 price range, 2K)

VW100 (replacing the old VW95) $7000-10K price range, possibly 4K, but might very well be 2K as well.

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xfactor19990
[QUOTE="xfactor19990"]

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"] 65" is as big as Panasonics VT60 goes. If you want an 80" TV you're only option is Sharp, which doesn't really have good picture quality. poor blacks, inaccurate colour and a very corny/grainy image. I could definitely recommend a projector as they ALWAYS beat HDTVs when it comes to screen size to picture quality to price ratio. But it will require an overhaul of your home for optimal performance (which means blocked out light and dark walls, painted gray/black) If that is possible for you, your best bet is the Sony HW50 projector which I believe is around $3000 in the US. even with white walls the HW50 will have stunning performance, but no light is a bare minimum. Mozelleple112

Epsons budget projectors are decent. The Epson TW9100 (goes by a different name in the US I think) should cost around $3000 and is an excellent value for money projector and especially good in 3D and bright rooms. but of course, darker room with either Sony's HW50 or JVCs X35/X55 are a greater deal. Epson is sort of a compromise for those who those with living rooms / white walls

that is my exact problem, i decided to use basement for storage so now stuck in a living room that has some light but can be blocked out a bit