Gears of War: Keyboard or Gamepad?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

I decided to play gears of war again, after beating it and playing the multiplayer for numerous hours and doing so with the keyboard I found it was pretty well put together to work with the keyboard. But I just recently bought a the xbox 360 windows gamepad and I tried it out...and I gotta say it's a better experience with the gamepad! Using the shotgun and the Lancer just feel a lot more fluid and right.

So my question is. Even though gears of war is on pc, do you still use the gamepad? or do you find using the mouse and keyboard is still the best way to play gears?

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
Mouse and Keyboard!
Although I CANT use my gamepad, since mine is fault and the right analog stick is on sideways (left = up, up = right, right = down, down = left)
JordanKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JordanKid
Member since 2005 • 1231 Posts
I think everyone will say mouse and keyboard but I think your right, the gamepad would be better...certain games just play better with controllers.
digipixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 digipixels
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts
One of the biggest reasons I actually bought the 360 controller for PC!!! can't imagine playing this game in particular without it, your right about it being fluid
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

kb+m :D

I have no problems using a gamepad when I think it's a better experience though. Racing games (if not using a wheel), sports games, action/adventure & platformers are always possibilities. I can remember playing Commander Keen with a Gravis gamepad years ago ;) I have 360, Playstation, Logitech, Gravis, etc controllers that I've bought specifically for my PC over time.

Shooters though? I haven't found one yet I'd personally rather play with a gamepad, the loss of accuracy is just too annoying.

I was playing Lost Planet Colonies recently and that's the same story as Gears as well, kb+m FTW. Well, once I figured out the 360 auto-aim setting applies to the mouse as well and turned it off :P Initiating a data post is an exercise in button-mashing and seems like something perhaps more tailored for a gamepad, but kb+m works remarkably well in the game and is definitely the way I prefer to play.

JordanKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JordanKid

kb+m :D

I have no problems using a gamepad when I think it's a better experience though. Racing games (if not using a wheel), sports games, action/adventure & platformers are always possibilities. I can remember playing Commander Keen with a Gravis gamepad years ago ;) I have 360, Playstation, Logitech, Gravis, etc controllers that I've bought specifically for my PC over time.

Shooters though? I haven't found one yet I'd personally rather play with a gamepad, the loss of accuracy is just too annoying.

I was playing Lost Planet Colonies recently and that's the same story as Gears as well, kb+m FTW. Well, once I figured out the 360 auto-aim setting applies to the mouse as well and turned it off :P Initiating a data post is an exercise in button-mashing and seems like something perhaps more tailored for a gamepad, but kb+m works remarkably well in the game and is definitely the way I prefer to play.

Nitrous2O

Theirs people who have no problem with accuracy on a console...although I'd agree PC shooters are better for aiming in most cases, im used to both and don't really care which I use...I seem to notice that more people suck on PC shooters though, no offence, but I usually do really good...now I tend to play console games more then PC games, it was vice versa before but theirs a bunch of games im looking forward too for PC. I don't know I guess theirs just something amazing about laying on your couch playing a game on a 70" t.v in 1080p HD with your friends.
LILSMUCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LILSMUCK
Member since 2004 • 148 Posts
Turning around better on the pad everything else mouse and keyboard
Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

kb + mouse, much more precise etc and controls are almost standard fps-a-like

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lidve

I don't know I guess theirs just something amazing about laying on your couch playing a game on a 70" t.v in 1080p HD with your friends.JordanKid

Rather playing on sub720p @ 30 fps stretched to fit your 1080p that is quite expencive ( and we are talking about pc being expencive :roll: )

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lidve

Theirs people who have no problem with accuracy on a console....JordanKid

Its not that we cant be accurate on gamepad. But when you play whole life on milisecond accurate mouse its really anoying playing on gamepad

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Theirs people who have no problem with accuracy on a console...although I'd agree PC shooters are better for aiming in most cases, im used to both and don't really care which I use...I seem to notice that more people suck on PC shooters though, no offence, but I usually do really good...now I tend to play console games more then PC games, it was vice versa before but theirs a bunch of games im looking forward too for PC. I don't know I guess theirs just something amazing about laying on your couch playing a game on a 70" t.v in 1080p HD with your friends.JordanKid

70" 1080p, nice! ;)

My consoles are connected to a 58" 1080p plasma. The downside is at those screen sizes you can really start to see the resolution deficiencies since most games don't actually run at 1080p, more around 720p.

However, with consoles games you are also typically sitting much further back from the screen which will compensate for that resolution, it may actually be difficult to tell the difference from 1080p and 720p.

On the flipside to that though, once you are far enough back from the screen you lose an immersive, intense, and very finely detail-oriented experience, at least I do. This is one reason why I actually prefer gaming on my PC and a 24" monitor --- very high res and very high details that are easily observable --- the most immersive gaming experience IMO.

In terms of precision and accuracy, kb+m remains the undisputed champion in shooters. Not saying everyone would prefer kb+m in the end based on preference, but it would be nice if those in the "Halo generation" of gamers ditched the auto-aim and at least gave it a fair effort to become accustomed with before dismissing it.

I can easily get by with gamepads, there's not any choice in most console games (UT3 PS3 is one exception I know of), but those are marginally fun relatively compared to a great shooter on the PC.

JordanKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JordanKid

[QUOTE="JordanKid"]I don't know I guess theirs just something amazing about laying on your couch playing a game on a 70" t.v in 1080p HD with your friends.Lidve

Rather playing on sub720p @ 30 fps stretched to fit your 1080p that is quite expencive ( and we are talking about pc being expencive :roll: )

Well a t.v doesn't count when it comes to console gaming because everyone has a t.v when they buy a console anyways, its for t.v, movies, etc...PC gaming IS expensive my new computer kicks ass but it costed me $1200...meanwhile you can buy a 360 or PS3 for $400 which delievers the same game(regardless of some PC versions that have slight advantages) but I understand where your coming from and I'm a fan of ALL gaming, whether it be PC, PS3, or 360...not that big of a fan of the Wii however..although I don't bash it or anything.
JordanKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JordanKid

[QUOTE="JordanKid"]

Theirs people who have no problem with accuracy on a console....Lidve

Its not that we cant be accurate on gamepad. But when you play whole life on milisecond accurate mouse its really anoying playing on gamepad

I understand how you feel because of when I used to play only PC games but I'm accustomed to both now and I always use extremely high sensitivity on consoles and my friends are always like HOLY **** because thats what PC gaming got me used to lol
JordanKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JordanKid

[QUOTE="JordanKid"]

Theirs people who have no problem with accuracy on a console...although I'd agree PC shooters are better for aiming in most cases, im used to both and don't really care which I use...I seem to notice that more people suck on PC shooters though, no offence, but I usually do really good...now I tend to play console games more then PC games, it was vice versa before but theirs a bunch of games im looking forward too for PC. I don't know I guess theirs just something amazing about laying on your couch playing a game on a 70" t.v in 1080p HD with your friends.Nitrous2O

70" 1080p, nice! ;)

My consoles are connected to a 58" 1080p plasma. The downside is at those screen sizes you can really start to see the resolution deficiencies since most games don't actually run at 1080p, more around 720p.

However, with consoles games you are also typically sitting much further back from the screen which will compensate for that resolution, it may actually be difficult to tell the difference from 1080p and 720p.

On the flipside to that though, once you are far enough back from the screen you lose an immersive, intense, and very finely detail-oriented experience, at least I do. This is one reason why I actually prefer gaming on my PC and a 24" monitor --- very high res and very high details that are easily observable --- the most immersive gaming experience IMO.

In terms of precision and accuracy, kb+m remains the undisputed champion in shooters. Not saying everyone would prefer kb+m in the end based on preference, but it would be nice if those in the "Halo generation" of gamers ditched the auto-aim and at least gave it a fair effort to become accustomed with before dismissing it.

I can easily get by with gamepads, there's not any choice in most console games (UT3 PS3 is one exception I know of), but those are marginally fun relatively compared to a great shooter on the PC.

Yah your right for some games but because I sit back it only looks beautiful lol..but I understand what your saying but when I look at my monitor and t.v when I play a game I prefer my t.v just because of my set up but it won't make me choose buying a game for PS3 over PC...I simply follow the biggest group of friends. lol

I don't find I lose any immersion or insensity when sitting back, I always got the sound really loud, my t.v's so massive you cant miss anything and I've got 10x better surround sound for my t.v then my computer...however I do have good surround for my computer. I understand and respect how you think its the most immersive, I like them both equally, but everyone does have their own preference and opinion, I don't think their is any right or wrong in this situation..except for the mouse and keyboard having the advantage with percision and such.

Although PC shooters has the advantage with percision(mouse and keyboard) and sometimes the graphics are a little better I think using my t.v set up with my friends makes it match my experience while playing PC games. For me I don't lose any fun while playing on a console, I'm just a gamer who plays games :D.

But some PC games I'm really looking forward to are Fallout 3(I think im going to get it for PC rather then console), Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Left 4 Dead, Warhammer Online, and various shooters like Call of Duty 5 and Far Cry 2(however I havn't made up my mind for which platform - for the shooters).

PS - Blu rays in 1080p HD on a 70" are amazing
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Mouse and keyboard. Gears of War is a shooting game. Mouse and keyboard are better than Gamepads at shooting games. End of story. :D
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Definitely keyboard and mouse.
JordanKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JordanKid
Mouse and keyboard. Gears of War is a shooting game. Mouse and keyboard are better than Gamepads at shooting games. End of story. :DGodLovesDead

Their are shooting games like RE4 or other third person shooters that I'd gladly rather use a controller.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]Mouse and keyboard. Gears of War is a shooting game. Mouse and keyboard are better than Gamepads at shooting games. End of story. :DJordanKid

Their are shooting games like RE4 or other third person shooters that I'd gladly rather use a controller.

Hmm its all personal preference. The only third person shooter I've played that I like better with a controller is RE4, and even then only if its the Wiimote + Nunchuck.

Lost Planet is a good example of how mouse and keyboard controls are better for a third person shooter. I can understand people prefering a controller for Gears though, since aiming isn't that important :P Although, Mouse and Keyboard makes Gears a bit too easy tbh. Since it is so much easier to take people out when blindfiring from cover using the mouse.

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

I never said that Shooters were better with a gamepad I'm just talking about Gears of war here. And ontop of that, Gears of war isn't an FPS, it's a third person shooter which makes them different. Though they are shooters they're very much different in the way you aim and shoot.

I'm talking ONLY about Gears of War here.

The way you can aim the direction ur looking, then aim ur gun is what makes it really fluid and perfect for the gamepad in my opinion. I can't wait for gears of war 2, i'm even buying a 360 soon just for that and fable 2. So this is why I'm starting to play gears with my 360 gamepad, I find it its a better play with it, just feels right :) Also for some reason, using the shoulder RB, for reload, it's easier in my opinion when your in the heat of the battle. Using a to roll, take cover, move around, it just feels better than using space bar for that

Anyways to eachs own and I prefer using the gamepad just for gears of war..oh and DMC4 too. lol but I was just seeing if there were any others who also got the same experience with playing with the kb+m and then went to gamepad.