Gears of War and UT3: Which is better graphically? (56k)

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 firefly026
Member since 2005 • 3270 Posts

Due to the lack of in-game screenshots for the two games (primarily Gears), it's a bit difficult to make comparisons right now, but I just wanted to get some opinions as to which game looks better so far.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but all of these screens are in real-time, correct?

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts
Well both look great, but I know that I will enjoy UT3 ALOT more than Gears.
RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts
UT3 is crisper, but both games look visually great to me.
henri1960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 henri1960
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
GOW looks WAY better than UT3.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
UT3 looks a lot better from what I have seen. That said Gears of War still looks fantastic.
-voidox-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -voidox-
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
UT3 looks nice but Gears of War is better ^_^
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
UT3 has always clearly looked better than gears.
handag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 handag
Member since 2006 • 449 Posts
in those pics then gears win. but remember that the PC ver of Gears will have doubled the graphics that the X-box 360 ver had. but we shouldnt decide this yet since UT3 issnt done yet and those pics probably where taken from the unfinished product. and they tend to have much porer graphics then the finished product. but all in all i will think that they will both look the same graphically in the end since they both use the same graphics engine.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 smokeydabear076
UT3 has always looked clearly better than gears.onemic
Even Epic acknowledges this.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

GoW and UT3 lookspretty similar, BUT...UT3 wins the match

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GeryGo  Moderator

[QUOTE="onemic"]UT3 has always looked clearly better than gears.smokeydabear076
Even Epic acknowledges this.

yes they do

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
People who thinks Gears of War > UT3 are probably insane. Possibly blind too. Unless you're judging only on the above screenshots, which then means you're...well...lazy.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#13 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
both look great but gears is like 5,000 shades of brown. At least UT3 has some color, so it's betterer :D
MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts

both look great but gears is like 5,000 shades of brown. At least UT3 has some color, so it's betterer :Dnutcrackr

Exactly. I can only stand so much brown...

omicron4623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 omicron4623
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
well UT3 and Gears are made by the same people so surely they will both look pretty simlar graphicly, if i had to choose one it would be UT3 on pc but Gears on 360 for sure
harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

where are the big rigs shots?

btw I voted for ut3

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 smokeydabear076

where are the big rigs shots?

btw I voted for ut3

harrisi17
Your computer can't handle them. :o
bindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bindip
Member since 2005 • 2585 Posts
same engine but they both look great of course :D for its a win win game :D
MrNib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 MrNib
Member since 2004 • 1731 Posts
GOW has a slightly better art style, but UT3 looks cleaner, but remember they run on the same engine so your likely to get similar results if you exclude hour of victory which looks like garbage
Copaseticbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Copaseticbob
Member since 2006 • 109 Posts

lol, you do know they are both running on the same engine right?

But yeah, UT3 looks way better.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
UT3 looks better, but when comparing this screens Gears looks better IMO
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but all of these screens are in real-time, correct?

firefly026
Not exactly. While they may have been taken "in-game", the screenshots you see are using far higher quality artwork and models than what you will see in the actual game, and I wouldn't doubt that they've been touched up in Photoshop as well. They do not represent the actual quality of the final optimized product, as much as we and the developers would like them to. So comparing those screens is a waste, but my hunch is that UT3 will take the cake, since it's been in development for so much longer than Gears.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lonelynight
I agree with Fenrir we should compare them when they both are out
-AK47-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -AK47-
Member since 2007 • 3277 Posts
UT3
handag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 handag
Member since 2006 • 449 Posts

I agree with Fenrir we should compare them when they both are outLonelynight

-_-'

Did anyone read my post? i said that first btw....

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lonelynight

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]I agree with Fenrir we should compare them when they both are outhandag

Does it matter if you say it first?

-_-'

Did anyone read my post? i said that first btw....

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
Gears had way too many jaggies for me to stomach so UT3 for me.
ferret837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 ferret837
Member since 2004 • 1942 Posts
lol big rigs almost tied with gow and i vote for ut3
firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 firefly026

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]both look great but gears is like 5,000 shades of brown. At least UT3 has some color, so it's betterer :DMadExponent

Exactly. I can only stand so much brown...

Ah, but what about the gray? And let's not forget about the black.

I agree, at first glance, both games seem similar in terms of art/style, but when studied, UT3 has wider variety of colors, thus more impressive graphically.

pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts
Easily UT3. Gears looks terrible.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f93995c29447
deactivated-5f93995c29447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 deactivated-5f93995c29447
Member since 2005 • 2063 Posts

UT3 looks better because it has bloom....LOTS OF IT. And despite that, most of the levels designs will look just like QuakeIII's with floating platforms and black backgrounds. So GoW has tons of variety in its graphical compartment, but UT3 has cleaner textures because there isn't very much to handel in the enviroments.

GeoW has less color variety because IT IS FREAKING WAR! War isn't colorful! It's dark, gloomy, and disturbing!

jamserver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jamserver
Member since 2004 • 375 Posts
in those pics then gears win. but remember that the PC ver of Gears will have doubled the graphics that the X-box 360 ver had. but we shouldnt decide this yet since UT3 issnt done yet and those pics probably where taken from the unfinished product. and they tend to have much porer graphics then the finished product. but all in all i will think that they will both look the same graphically in the end since they both use the same graphics engine. handag

exactly
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 onemic

UT3 looks better because it has bloom....LOTS OF IT. And despite that, most of the levels designs will look just like QuakeIII's with floating platforms and black backgrounds. So GoW has tons of variety in its graphical compartment, but UT3 has cleaner textures because there isn't very much to handel in the enviroments.

GeoW has less color variety because IT IS FREAKING WAR! War isn't colorful! It's dark, gloomy, and disturbing!

True_Blu3

Floating platforms and black backgrounds? Have you ever played a UT game in your life? Let alone watch a gameplay video of UT3 in action.

pco_rainmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pco_rainmaster
Member since 2007 • 275 Posts
:DUT3 but GOW looks good also.. im looking forward to those 2 games but GTA 4 on PC is my priority..
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#35 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
I cant wait to get both of these games. The screenshots of gears of war and UT3 make the game look really cool. Probably going to pay full price for Gears of War when its released.
Xcelerate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Xcelerate
Member since 2004 • 599 Posts
[QUOTE="True_Blu3"]

onemic

Floating platforms and black backgrounds? Have you ever played a UT game in your life? Let alone watch a gameplay video of UT3 in action.

Haha, he probably hasn't. And he probably doesn't know that UT3 is about war too.

UT3 graphics are way superior; many more colors, textures, designs of all sorts, etc.

DrDoomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DrDoomed
Member since 2003 • 11386 Posts

won't they look the same?

GoW seems more raw to me though

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lonelynight

lol big rigs almost tied with gow and i vote for ut3ferret837

YOU'RE WINNER

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GeryGo  Moderator

[QUOTE="ferret837"]lol big rigs almost tied with gow and i vote for ut3Lonelynight

YOU'RE WINNER

lol

EdrikHart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 EdrikHart
Member since 2003 • 42 Posts
UT3
Copaseticbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Copaseticbob
Member since 2006 • 109 Posts

[QUOTE="True_Blu3"]

onemic

Seriously, what was that post based on??

Avatar image for deactivated-5f93995c29447
deactivated-5f93995c29447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5f93995c29447
Member since 2005 • 2063 Posts
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="True_Blu3"]

Xcelerate

Haha, he probably hasn't. And he probably doesn't know that UT3 is about war too.

UT3 graphics are way superior; many more colors, textures, designs of all sorts, etc.

UT3 is a gladiator tournament where small wars are waged. GeoW takes place in a war that has at least lasted for...I don't know, I think 15 years or so? Whatever, long enough for buildings and forest to nearly crumble.

And yes, I played UT04 and it was great while it lasted (until the game's fps started to go slower and slower until it turned into a slide-show. Weird thing is, I have a computer that surpasses its recommended requirements). UT3's environments just don't have that much variety in them. GeoW has large and nearly destroyed building, while UT3's large enviroments are just lifeless lands with some highly detailed bases. I don't blame Epic for that. 64 players in a GeoW environment would make even the most powerfulest computers to crash.

You see, GeoW doesn't have too much action going on in it's environments compared to UT3's frag festival gameplay, which has tons of explosions, veichles exploding, and pure rocket launching rampage. GeoW has more details in its enviroments because there isn't too much action going on, so Epic was able to bring the texture details to a higher capacity.

1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

True_Blu3

Wait, you think war is supposed to be dark, gloomy and disturbing, yet going into you're profile reveals you're a Halo fan...

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 onemic
[QUOTE="Xcelerate"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="True_Blu3"]

True_Blu3

UT3 is a gladiator tournament where small wars are waged. GeoW takes place in a war that has at least lasted for...I don't know, I think 15 years or so? Whatever, long enough for buildings and forest to nearly crumble.

And yes, I played UT04 and it was great while it lasted (until the game's fps started to go slower and slower until it turned into a slide-show. Weird thing is, I have a computer that surpasses its recommended requirements). UT3's environments just don't have that much variety in them. GeoW has large and nearly destroyed building, while UT3's large enviroments are just lifeless lands with some highly detailed bases. I don't blame Epic for that. 64 players in a GeoW environment would make even the most powerfulest computers to crash.

You see, GeoW doesn't have too much action going on in it's environments compared to UT3's frag festival gameplay, which has tons of explosions, veichles exploding, and pure rocket launching rampage. GeoW has more details in its enviroments because there isn't too much action going on, so Epic was able to bring the texture details to a higher capacity.

What does any of this have to do with your statement that you were quoted on, in which you said UT3 is just comprised mostly of floating platforms and black backgrounds?

bedram793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#45 bedram793
Member since 2006 • 1741 Posts
I don't know. The gameplay is what is important to me. :oops:
firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 firefly026
[QUOTE="True_Blu3"][QUOTE="Xcelerate"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="True_Blu3"]

onemic

What does any of this have to do with your statement that you were quoted on, in which you said UT3 is just comprised mostly of floating platforms and black backgrounds?

I think he was focusing more on realism, rather than the visuals.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

Well both look great, but I know that I will enjoy UT3 ALOT more than Gears. MadExponent

Same here. It's been too long in the waiting...

pooonu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pooonu
Member since 2003 • 323 Posts
So has no one picked up on the fact that you can't tell what these games look like based off these officially released screens? The actual games look nothing like that. They are jacking up the lighting, shadows, and special effects for the screenshots. Its especially obvious in the gears shots considering I've never seen a muzzle flash create dynamic shadows on the player ingame before. You ask me, this is more shady than trying to pass off CGI because these are plausibly real and they know that.
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts
[QUOTE="pooonu"]So has no one picked up on the fact that you can't tell what these games look like based off these officially released screens? The actual games look nothing like that. They are jacking up the lighting, shadows, and special effects for the screenshots. Its especially obvious in the gears shots considering I've never seen a muzzle flash create dynamic shadows on the player ingame before. You ask me, this is more shady than trying to pass off CGI because these are plausibly real and they know that.

Actually, a few of us have pointed this out, but people are more interested in arguing with each other than forming educated opinions. Hey, welcome to our camp though. :-D
firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 firefly026
So has no one picked up on the fact that you can't tell what these games look like based off these officially released screens? The actual games look nothing like that. They are jacking up the lighting, shadows, and special effects for the screenshots. Its especially obvious in the gears shots considering I've never seen a muzzle flash create dynamic shadows on the player ingame before. You ask me, this is more shady than trying to pass off CGI because these are plausibly real and they know that.pooonu
If you were to watch gameplay videos for these two games, the actual gameplay isn't too far off from the screenshots I posted. Also, I said "Which game looks the best so far", not, "Which game will look the best!!!111 Tell me now!!1."