Gaming Laptop question, advice please

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wide_ocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 wide_ocean
Member since 2008 • 288 Posts

After about 10 years I've decided to get back to PC gaming.

I'm currently looking at Alienware laptops, as Dell is the only retailer I'd trust 100% in terms of component authenticity (I live in China) and it would have to be somewhat portable. I'm looking at Alienware 17 models from Dell HK, wondering about 2 options:

Option 1:

• 4th Generation Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost)
  • 16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
  • 1.5TB RAID 0 (2x750GB 7200RPM) + 80GB mSATA SSD Caching
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M with 4GB GDDR5
  • Slot-Loading 8x SuperMulti Drive (DVD±R/RW)

Option 2 (different components bold):

• 4th Generation Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-4800MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost)
  • 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
  • 256GB mSATA SSD Boot + 750GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
  • Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVD±RW, CD-RW)

Option 2 would cost an additional 900 USD!

Application would be of course gaming, but also music production (mostly Reason and FL).

Given that

a) I don't really care about the Blu-Ray reader and

b) I'm assuming the extra 16 GB RAM of option 2 will not significantly increase gaming performance = don't really care

Will the differences in processor and hard drive(s) of option 2 increase performance a lot? I know it's all relative, but just to give an idea, I'd like to be able to play most current and upcoming titles with decent and enjoyable settings and not have to look at upgrading for a year or two.

Cheers

P.S. I know there are options with far better price/performance ratios, but as mentioned, component authenticity is a big problem here, so Dell it is.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@wide_ocean said:

I'm currently looking at Alienware laptops, as Dell is the only retailer I'd trust 100% in terms of component authenticity (I live in China) and it would have to be somewhat portable. I'm looking at Alienware 17 models from Dell HK, wondering about 2 options:

Option 1:

• 4th Generation Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost)

• 4th Generation Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-4800MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost)

Application would be of course gaming, but also music production (mostly Reason and FL).

Given that

b) I'm assuming the extra 16 GB RAM of option 2 will not significantly increase gaming performance = don't really care

Will the differences in processor and hard drive(s) of option 2 increase performance a lot? I know it's all relative, but just to give an idea, I'd like to be able to play most current and upcoming titles with decent and enjoyable settings and not have to look at upgrading for a year or two.

Cheers

P.S. I know there are options with far better price/performance ratios, but as mentioned, component authenticity is a big problem here, so Dell it is.

I would go with Option 2, but I wouldn't buy Alienware.

wide_ocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By wide_ocean

Ok, at the risk of being repetitive:

I'd like to know if you guys think the performance difference for gaming would be significant / warrant the price difference.

I respect everybody's opinion on what they would and would not buy, but I don't really need input on that as I explained the market situation here. Thanks folks.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@wide_ocean said:

Ok, at the risk of being repetitive:

I'd like to know if you guys think the performance difference for gaming would be significant / warrant the price difference.

I respect everybody's opinion on what they would and would not buy, but I don't really need input on that as I explained the market situation here. Thanks folks.

Both machines are fast, but I would prefer to have an SSD Boot than a RAID0 Boot with normal HDDs.

Can you get option 1 with an SSD instead of the RAID?

And what do you mean by market situation? They are laptops that come from factory built aren't they?

wide_ocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wide_ocean

@FelipeInside: Thanks for elaborating.

The options are pretty much fixed:

http://www.dell.com/hk/en/p/alienware-17/pd

(center and right one)

There's no real further customization options for Dell Hong Kong once you pick the main build, except software and support details. After ordering from Dell I just don't trust small retailers for single upgrade components/I don't have the time and energy to look for reliable ones right now.

The market situation in Mainland China is that you either know a retailer more or less personally and trust him, of you have no control over what components they replace before selling to you, that's why directly from Dell and with their limited range of customization options.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

No,the 2nd one doesn't warrant an extra 900$.

Heck,for that price you could build yourself a gaming desktop

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@wide_ocean said:

Option 1:

Given that

Cheers

1st option, 80Gb of SSD are enough IMO for programs + OS and even might be enough for 1-3 games installed on it.