games won't work on WIndows 7???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ExtremeMagnion2
ExtremeMagnion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 0

#1 ExtremeMagnion2
Member since 2005 • 708 Posts

i recently installed WIndows 7 on my laptop and before that i backed up all my install files of my PC games so i can play them later. So after Windows 7 was installed, i tried running Left 4 Dead 2 and it doesn't even open, run, play, watever, it just won;t work.

so i thought maybe its just L4D2, so i tried Borderlands which again didn't start up...it starts up with the small BORDERLANDS box art rectangle thing and then an error message comes up saying that Borderlands has stopped working....

i don't get it, is it because these games were installed on Vista first? what do i have to do to fix this?

thanks

No_Acces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 No_Acces
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
If you want to work all games , try Windows XP and if u like Windows 7 that much i suggest you to install a theme (Windows 7 is not that good for games)
ExtremeMagnion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ExtremeMagnion2
so installing a theme would make games work? :\
Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
so installing a theme would make games work? :\ExtremeMagnion2
Did you do an upgrade or did you do a fresh install of Windows 7?
ExtremeMagnion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ExtremeMagnion2

i upgraded from windows vista using the home version of Windows 7, you know, the CD

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cdscottie

i upgraded from windows vista using the home version of Windows 7, you know, the CD

ExtremeMagnion2
After the upgrade, did you re-install your games? If not, try re-installing the game as sometimes upgrades can cause issues with previous applications. As well, you might want to go to your manufacturers website and download the latest windows 7 drivers to ensure no incompatibility.
Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Rehehelly
Member since 2005 • 165 Posts
If you did an upgrade, reinstall the games. Possible it could have messed some files about. or.. right click their run exe, properties, compatability and run in compatability for vista.
ExtremeMagnion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ExtremeMagnion2
awesome, i'll give these a shot, i'll re install the games first and if that doesn't work, i'll try running the compatabillity, thanks guys, i'll keep you posted
ExtremeMagnion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ExtremeMagnion2
oh quick question too, im also getting a Laptop that will most likely have Windows 7 on it already, would the games work there or would i have to re-install them?
schesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 schesak
Member since 2006 • 711 Posts

Every game I own works properly in Windows 7...and I have a LOT of games.

From the sounds of it, you "backed up" your games, which means you did not actually reinstall them..you just copied them. That does not work for most games.I always try it too, but I only have a handful of games that will actually run when I do that. Most of them require a completely new install. The reason for this is, typically, registry entries. Additionally, many games have some files in places other than the game install directory, which you probably missed.

Reinstall your games, they will work then.

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cdscottie
You would probably require re-installing the games again.
ExtremeMagnion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ExtremeMagnion2
You would probably require re-installing the games again.Cdscottie
even with an already installed Windows 7 machine? dam... does saving the games on an external hard drive make a difference? :\
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
There's more to running games than just having the directory backed up from "Program Files". While some games will allow you to play them directly from any directory most will actually require installation, so things like the Registry are up to date and know where the game is installed to and is valid. As mentioned above Windows 7 works great for games, I have close to 300 games running perfectly fine here.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
If you want to work all games , try Windows XP and if u like Windows 7 that much i suggest you to install a theme (Windows 7 is not that good for games)No_Acces
Sometimes it's best to actually think before you comment. :P
Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cdscottie
[QUOTE="Cdscottie"]You would probably require re-installing the games again.ExtremeMagnion2
even with an already installed Windows 7 machine? dam... does saving the games on an external hard drive make a difference? :\

Oops, made a mistake there. If it is coming with Windows 7 you will just need to install the game and update it. I've been playing L4D2 recently on Windows 7 without a hitch.
schesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 schesak
Member since 2006 • 711 Posts

[QUOTE="Cdscottie"]You would probably require re-installing the games again.ExtremeMagnion2

Saving it on an external hard drive won't make a difference. As I said previously, installing the game involves more than just putting files in the installation directory. There are registry settings and, in some cases, files that go someplace other than the installation directory.

What you want to do does work for SOME games...it just doesn't work for most of them. Of all of the games I own, it only works for 4 of them.

ExtremeMagnion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ExtremeMagnion2
ok, install the games freshly, i know wat ur saying about the games having different registry issues, but lets say i installed them onto my hard drive first but they wont play off the hard drive? same rules apply right? i can just re-install my games on the hard drive to make them work right? Thanks and sorry for the constant questions lol
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
If you want to work all games , try Windows XP and if u like Windows 7 that much i suggest you to install a theme (Windows 7 is not that good for games)No_Acces
What are you talking about? I'm running Win 7 64 bit and absolutely no problems. That's complete rubbish.
Yanduan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Yanduan
Member since 2007 • 161 Posts

I'm sure - reinstall the games will fix the problem. They lost registry settings since you uprgade ur OS

BrandonStore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BrandonStore
Member since 2008 • 296 Posts

[QUOTE="No_Acces"]If you want to work all games , try Windows XP and if u like Windows 7 that much i suggest you to install a theme (Windows 7 is not that good for games)zomglolcats
What are you talking about? I'm running Win 7 64 bit and absolutely no problems. That's complete rubbish.

BrandonStore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrandonStore
Member since 2008 • 296 Posts

ahh post messed up. Anyway, you get what I mean, I agree. Windows 7 is great for PC games.

Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

ok ok, I think from what I can tell your main concern is your save games. You want to be able to play your games on the new OS AND want to be using the same save game locations, so you don't lose any progress. All you have to do is copy the save game files, those are the only things worth backing up. Once the game is installed you can copy those save files over and you are right back where you want to be.

Almost all games just can't be completely backed up in the way you are describing, it's not just a Window 7 issue, it will happen with any switch you do. If you get a laptop, install the games on it like you normally would, then copy the save game files over, and you will be in playing the game where you left off.

Gamias3003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Gamias3003
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts
Windows 7 works great on games. I have been using them for my desktop for more than 2 months. Don't forget to download all the latest drivers for your laptop (especially the graphics card drivers). Which version of Windows 7 did you use (Ultimate etc)?
ExtremeMagnion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ExtremeMagnion2
yea i know about the save files :P but thanks for the extra info umm, ok so all of you are saying i just need to re-install the games ALL over again to get them to work on my new OS right? just trying to clarify
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Yes. If you have more than one OS on the computer or you installed the game on an external drive using another computer, you need to install the game again for every OS on that PC.