Gameplay-wise, is the original Half-Life superior to Half-Life 2?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mankyblobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Mankyblobs
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

I just don't see how the original is leaps and bounds better though? I mean the technology isn't, the story isn't, its such a freaking difficult game at times, it has those stupid alien worlds at the end. I really really like it, but the second one is sooo much better and far more engaging, particularly on an emotional level. Can you really look at the games separately anyhow? If anything, as a combined effort (excuse the pun), Half-Life 1 and its sequel, along with the episodes compliment each other in showing how they have each stood out at a various era in gaming above any other shooter or dare I say game....
biggest_loser

You described 2 things that are down to preference, i.e. the story and difficulty. The execution of the story in hl1 was fantastic for its time, and i for one latched onto the whole atmosphere of being 'up to my neck in all kinds of sh#t' mr gordon freeman. I wasnt a hero, I was just trying to avoid certain death at every twist and turn. All around me was chaos and there i was just running through stopping for the occasional chat with barny or some scientist. HL2 spoon feeds your every coming move why'll stroking your bottom and whispering in your ear: "your enjoying this arnt you you naughty boy"..... or something :P

Being ahard game was an attraction for me and many others,the polar opposite of easy as falling out of bed hl2. In hl1 if you came across some bad guys or meaty aliens you couldnt just pick up and throw aradiator and be done with it, there was actually some skillor advanced thinking in there. That is being quick on your feet with a big gun, or laying down trip mines or remote mines and just enyoing watching enemies blunder toward a huge firey death. Plus they were quite tough inas well. There was no gimicks (gravity gun), no special abilities (f.e.a.r) you justtried to get through the next 5 mins without being torn to shreds by machine gun fire or squated by some huge alien.Plus it has monster infighting!

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#52 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts
No, HL2 is definitely much better. Can you drive in the first HL?
Mankyblobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Mankyblobs
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

No, HL2 is definitely much better. Can you drive in the first HL?
THGarrett

You can drive in hl2 but the combine cant apparently. Not running into a combine vehicle coming the other way on the highway level was shameful imo.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#54 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Actually the combine do have vehicles like those armoured cars bucko. They also rely on transport dropships.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
i like HL much more than HL2. i guess that's definitive enough for me.