Gameplay is NOT more important than graphics.

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac9265b442af
deactivated-5ac9265b442af

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5ac9265b442af
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts
I'm tired of reading over and over how gameplay is more important than graphics because it's not. In my experience they must be equal. All of the best games that I have ever played not only had great gameplay but also were totting some of the best graphics for thier time. Think about your favorite games of all time and probably none of them have had bad graphics. Some of my favorites of all time Half-Life series, Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Grand Theft Auto Series, Final Fantasy, Bioshock, Crysis. All these games not only had some of the best graphics for thier time but had the gameplay to match it. And an equilibrium of the two is what makes great games turn into classics.
DrummerShane12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 DrummerShane12
Member since 2004 • 2531 Posts
I'm tired of reading over and over how gameplay is more important than graphics because it's not. In my experience they must be equal. All of the best games that I have ever played not only had great gameplay but also were totting some of the best graphics for thier time. Think about your favorite games of all time and probably none of them have had bad graphics. Some of my favorites of all time Half-Life series, Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Grand Theft Auto Series, Final Fantasy, Bioshock, Crysis. All these games not only had some of the best graphics for thier time but had the gameplay to match it. And an equilibrium of the two is what makes great games turn into classics. 8BaLLCB
your tired of hearing peoples opinions.....that's what you are saying
gunit3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gunit3000
Member since 2004 • 360 Posts

I'm not sure if thats also true for me.

I played Persona 3 and 4 when I also had my ps3, those game were kinda ugly graphic wise but still one of my favourite JRPG's off all time.

I also played KOTOR I and II in 2008 and those are one of my favourite WRPG's but graphic wise they werent good in 2008.

MangaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 MangaJ
Member since 2008 • 1435 Posts

Earth Defense Force 2017 is one of my favorite xbox 360 games ever, and the graphics and animations were sketchy at best.

appletsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 appletsauce
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts

I don't care as long as it's not butt-ugly.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

super mario 3 disagrees :D

so does ff1 and the original ultima games.

and if you want to go really old school pc, we can say legend of the red dragon and usurper disagree too (they're bbs mp text based rpg's, usurper was large with group/clan fights and online mp support, legend of the red dragon was a single player bbs game with incredible mod support)

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

To a certain degree you cant have one without the other.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

Deus Ex

It was never a looker. Far from it, yet it's considered as one of the greatest games of all time.

Not to say that graphics are irrelevent, but I think that gameplay and sound matter the most.

quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

good graphics are definitely a plus for a game but not exactly necessary. Granted, most of the games I do play now do have demanding graphics.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I like nice graphics as much as the next guy, but the gameplay will always come first for me. I can still play lots of old games in my collection, even though the graphics are outdated and, in some cases, pretty awful. Why? Because graphics tend to fade into the background after the first twenty minutes of play, and then I'm totally focused on what I'm doing, where I'm going, what objectives I have to complete, and dealing with any enemies along the way.

If a game is FUN, I can ignore some dodgy graphics, but if a game is mediocre, the best graphics in the world aren't going to make me want to play it.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

Any game ever released by Blizzard.. All considered some of the best games in their respective genres. None of them with top of the line graphics at the time of their release.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

Graphics are a nice bonus.But they are the last thing i look for in a game.The only thing i can say i like about graphics is they show the evolution of gaming and technology.But i could care less in the end...if it's a great game plus great graphics then that's a bonus i enjoy.If it's a bad game with good graphics i am not a happy camper.Most of my favourite games of all time are deemed hideous by today's young gamers in terms of graphics.For example,i think the infinity engine is gorgeous with the hand drawn artistic backgrounds yet i always hear people complain and say it's ugly...

chinto20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 chinto20
Member since 2007 • 108 Posts

it's not the same for every game, some games have great gameplay, so-so graphics, and they still rock, some OTHER games have great gameplay, and so-so graphics and they suck, you can't judge every single game.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

You're not even worth the time if you have the nerve to make such a thread. Get an Xbox, play nice games that will take up all your time spent without a reason on complaining about opinions. Gameplay isn't better than decent graphics, it's way better, graphics won't save a crappy game, most of the games you mentioned didn't even look that good for their time and Crysis is the only one that has decent gameplay and superb graphics.

WarlordRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WarlordRising
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I'd rather play ugly game, than good looking but pointless, uninteresting and basically said - very dumb one. Maybe the games once were a "boom", but how about the people who still play them? There is no need for me pointing out great PC titles that are still played today, or games that are purposly made with ugly graphics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5ac9265b442af
I never said graphics are better than gameplay. All I'm saying is that the best games of all time usually have an equal balance of the two. In my opinion. But my opinion doesn't matter its you guys opinions I want to hear.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

I'm not sure if thats also true for me.

I played Persona 3 and 4 when I also had my ps3, those game were kinda ugly graphic wise but still one of my favourite JRPG's off all time.

I also played KOTOR I and II in 2008 and those are one of my favourite WRPG's but graphic wise they werent good in 2008.

gunit3000

nah, Persona 3 and 4 are some of the most beautiful game on ps2.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

Halo games condradict that...... They have never be great looking games (for its time the 1st one was pretty the best, but the others have been outdone by everything), but a lot of people love playing them (i know i did).

I've recently been plaing some older games (n64, Genesis, and some other systems) and i've been loving it. Now i understand you talking about the games may have looked good at their time, but they don't anymore, yet i still love playing them. It isn't the graphics taking me back, but the good gameplay.

So i disagree. Being a Halo fan (fan... not fanboy) i have come to realise that graphics mean almost nothing (the stuff you do need from graphics is the ability to see what the **** is going on, on screen). And i say graphics mean almost nothing because graphics don't have lasting value while gameplay does. If the gameplay is fun then it will be fun forever (you may get used to new controls making the old ones seem bad, but it usually means your not used to them....), but super awesome graphics right now may look like a giant turd tomorrow. Yes they will look the same, but we will nitpick all the lack of detail and what not which makes it seem worse.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Hmm, ok but are sugesting otherwise? Eg: crap gameplay with amazing graphics> dated graphics and cool gameplay?
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Lazy paste from something I wrote about Far Cry 2:

Graphics are gameplay in most games of today. Imagine Far Cry 2 in Trespasser clothes. In Source clothes. No fire propagation (which is just as important as the physics of Crysis), no weather system, no shadows, no bullet penetration... How come so many people always separate graphics and atmosphere from gameplay is a mistery to me. Some games simply don't work without proper support, and this one is one of them. I know it, I played about 15 hours on a system that only met the minimum requirements. When I finally afforded a new system, I was amazed. Instantly immersed. Something was missing from my minimalistic Far Cry 2! It was like playing Mario rendered in ASCII – sure, the idea and the basic gameplay is the same, but I'll be damned if it doesn't suck compared to the original happy, colourful Mario. I appreciate that Far Cry 2 works on lame-ass systems, but I'm telling you: it looks like a big bowl of pudding and the whole atmosphere is thrown right out the window. All that remains is the basic shooting and driving. The game was designed as an experience, and it only works when all the elements come together.

WarlordRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WarlordRising
I never said graphics are better than gameplay. All I'm saying is that the best games of all time usually have an equal balance of the two. In my opinion. But my opinion doesn't matter its you guys opinions I want to hear. 8BaLLCB
Every new WoW expansion is massively played, yet it doesn't offer any better graphic. I might say its the same as it was 5 years before.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ac9265b442af

Halo games condradict that...... They have never be great looking games (for its time the 1st one was pretty the best, but the others have been outdone by everything), but a lot of people love playing them (i know i did).

I've recently been plaing some older games (n64, Genesis, and some other systems) and i've been loving it. Now i understand you talking about the games may have looked good at their time, but they don't anymore, yet i still love playing them. It isn't the graphics taking me back, but the good gameplay.

So i disagree. Being a Halo fan (fan... not fanboy) i have come to realise that graphics mean almost nothing (the stuff you do need from graphics is the ability to see what the **** is going on, on screen). And i say graphics mean almost nothing because graphics don't have lasting value while gameplay does. If the gameplay is fun then it will be fun forever (you may get used to new controls making the old ones seem bad, but it usually means your not used to them....), but super awesome graphics right now may look like a giant turd tomorrow. Yes they will look the same, but we will nitpick all the lack of detail and what not which makes it seem worse.

Agent_Kaliaver
Dude are you kiddin me, ever Halo game I have played has had great graphics. Sure other games surpass them but Halo is a perfect equilibirum of great graphics and great gameplay. I have played plenty of Crysis but I still love Halo's graphics.
Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

First of, people should know, statements about what is more important to you are just opinions. Thus, they can't be wrong, or right. To me, Gameplay is more important. My favorite game is Diablo 2. Though, I don't play it anymore, I still wish they can make a new game just like that. This time with even better gameplay, and graphics. If the gameplay sucks, I wouldn't play it, but if the graphics are bad, I'd still play it.

People do seem to understand, but is most cases people are more atracted to graphics, but they wouldn't play a game if the gameplay suck. People tend to tolerate the bad gameplay

chinto20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chinto20
Member since 2007 • 108 Posts

A good example of a good game with uber ugly graphics: Counter strike xD

I-WoKeN-I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 I-WoKeN-I
Member since 2009 • 147 Posts

Your post/opinion is NOT more important than mine

see what i did thar

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
Hold on, has to be equal? If that was the case then I'd have to safely say that games like Mount&Blade would down right horrible and yet it's a game I can play for hours on end. Wait, does that mean your logic is flawed or that other people value something over the other? Who knows as it seems that you HAVE to be right...
vaczec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 vaczec
Member since 2009 • 159 Posts

I posted a topic about '' Graphic or Gameplay '' and I think that graphic makes much better than gameplay.

I don't care if a game has good gameplay,I only care that I enjoy in a game with GOOD GRAPHIC!

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

I posted a topic about '' Graphic or Gameplay '' and I think that graphic makes much better than gameplay.

I don't care if a game has good gameplay,I only care that I enjoy in a game with GOOD GRAPHIC!

vaczec
Whats your opinion on borderlands new art style?
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
[QUOTE="8BaLLCB"] Dude are you kiddin me, ever Halo game I have played has had great graphics. Sure other games surpass them but Halo is a perfect equilibirum of great graphics and great gameplay. I have played plenty of Crysis but I still love Halo's graphics.

Other games surpass Halo's graphics, yet Halo is on the same level as other games in terms of gameplay. Now i'm not saying they look bad, but that other games surpass that (by a lot). I find Halos gameplay to equal to that of almost every other games (like CoD4 and Crysis), yet its graphics are worse. But that shouldn't add up. If that is the case then Halo is not at "THE PERFECT EQUILIBRIUM" for its gameplay outways its graphics. But that is my opinion. I find Halo's graphics far worse that Call of Duty 4, but i find the gameplay to be evenly matched... Even with other games (i know going back to a console... and a PC port) like Final Fantasy 7. From the moment i saw that game (i saw FF8 before it) i thought the game looked horrid, but i absolutely loved it. I just find that graphics will keep me interested for around 30 minutes were as gameplay can for a life time. FarCry 2 to anything is a prime example of that. The game was beautiful, but the gameplay was an afterthought to the developer ("what? A game needs gameplay? make the outposts spawn right after you leave.... everyone will love it"). I mean i used the editor in FarCry 2 for 2x the time i spent actually playing the game (i only JUST got to the 2nd map in the game). But again it is an opinion. Some people will love FarCry 2, some CoD4 and others will love or hate the other or both. It is all personal preference and mine is that to gameplay. If mine wasn't i wouldn't have gone back and beaten Shadows of the Empire on the N64 in like 5 hours straight. That game is awesome (to me), but looks awful (so do the animations). It was like the designers or artists were given 3 colors and designs per level....... terrible... But i still love the game..... it was so much fun going back and playing. Of course the one thing you can sell me on that isn't exactly gameplay is animation. If the animations are bad (i expect them to be on the N64..... or anything old) then i will notice and it will really take me out of a game (like..... Dungeons and Dragons online.... yay for having only 1 attack animations..... woot).
Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts

vaczec
How so? If you character moves like a brick, you die constantly due to horrible balancing, and the story isn't even noticable are you really going to care about the graphics? If so, why not just look at the screenshots instead? It saves a person $50.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34766 Posts

What I look for in a game the most is fun gameplay. So yes, gameplay is more important for me. I see graphics more as that sweet ass bonus you'd rather not be without.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58502 Posts

I'd say graphics is a close second, and if I had to choose one, I would choose gameplay.

Also, lets not forget that visuals often hurt a game as much as they help it. Crysis, while it had excellent gameplay, was overlooked by many people for two reasons: one, people thought it would appeal only to graphics enthusiests; and two, a good chunk of the gaming population could not run it.

Now lets look at Halflife 2 and the Source engine. While pretty good looking, it was definately not the best looking at its time. Yet anything could run it, and run it at good settings. The texture work was excellent, as was the art direction.

My rule is gameplay is priority, with visuals needing to be decent but not stellar (with optimization being a priority).

WarlordRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WarlordRising

vaczec
Basically said, you can't have a favorite game, since every time there is one to beat it at graphics.
Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

vaczec
Are you being serious? Go watch a movie with CGI if you only care about graphics,they will be alot better than a game.Look at screenshots until your hearts content,go all out,make a slide show and have a beer.How on earth you came to such a conclusion is a mystery to me. And please don't give me that all opinions are equal nonsense,because they are not.Opinions need to be substantiated with valid/logical reasons for them to have any merit.Which you have failed to do.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I give Gameplay an edge over Graphics.

However, I'd say that in many genres of games, Graphics is a HUGE influence on creating Atmosphere. At those times Graphics arenearly on par with Gameplay.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Hell no. Gameplay is way over graphics. I have more fun with some PSP games than most 360 games. A lot of ps2 games are way better than ps3 games. If you say that graphics are more important or equally important to gameplay then you are not playing games to have fun.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
1 - gameplay 2 - Story 3 - Sound (music/voices) 4 - Artistic Design 5 - Graphics At least this is my opinion.
THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

There is one game that disagrees:

And many others, too.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
It totally depends on the game. FPS games benefit a lot more from good graphics than say something like a turn based strategy game. However, a game with bad graphics but good gameplay is still at least somewhat good, whereas a game with great graphics but bad gameplay is just a bad game and will always be bad. Who cares how amazingly great the graphics are if you can't stand playing the game itself?
Murdouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Murdouken
Member since 2009 • 125 Posts

Everything needs to be in balance. Music and graphics are definately important though as atmosphere and immersion is a huge part of any game for me.

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

No, Gameplay makes a GAME. Graphics mean nothing if the gameplay is solid.

MrWednesday14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MrWednesday14
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

Gameplay>>Story>>Graphics IMO.

Of course a truly great game is usually great in all three of these aspects. In general though, it doesn't matter if the game looks better then real-life, if it has bad gameplay and bad story it's a bad game. Farcry 2 is a shining example of this.

Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
Funny, half-life 1 has bad graphics by your standards yet i still LOVE the game because of the gameplay, you just contridicted yourself. Id MUCH rather gameplay, hence why i play lots of mods.
lindallison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lindallison
Member since 2003 • 1429 Posts

Gameplay quality is obviously more important than graphics - Graphics age much more rapidly than gameplay - in some cases gameplay doesn't age at all.

The thing that folks get wrong IMO is implying that gameplay and graphics are somehow mutually exclusive.

Some games have one, some the other, some both, and some neither.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Hmm, then I guess Fallout 3 is better than 1 & 2. Oh, wait, no it's not.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts
deus ex 1. average to poor graphics on its release (UE1 based on not even a big looker by UE1 standards). it was, is, and probably will remain the best game ever made in this industries history. gameplay is more important than graphics. graphics are important but, imho, devs are way to focused on graphics. i wish they would d more interesting things with the hardware available to them instead of just throwing it al at graphics and eye candy physics. with GPGPU coming into play more..hopefully we will see devs using the extra grunt for some interesting ideas also...not just physics that has no bearing on the game play.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

deus ex 1. average to poor graphics on its release (UE1 based on not even a big looker by UE1 standards). it was, is, and probably will remain the best game ever made in this industries history. gameplay is more important than graphics. graphics are important but, imho, devs are way to focused on graphics. i wish they would d more interesting things with the hardware available to them instead of just throwing it al at graphics and eye candy physics. with GPGPU coming into play more..hopefully we will see devs using the extra grunt for some interesting ideas also...not just physics that has no bearing on the game play.osan0

your point is well-made, and Deus Ex IMO also is among the very best games of all-time, though not the best.

I'm with you on Gameplay > Graphics, but Deus Ex is a prime example of a game who would've been even better (giving it even more atmosphere) if it had better Graphics.

Graphics does play a part in many games.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Yes it is. Graphics always help, and you often find talented developers usually are good with both gameplay and graphics.

However, if that were the case, people wouldn't still go back and play old games/handheld games. Games with "inferior" graphics. Seriously, will you suffer through a painfully boring game to look at the wall textures? Or would you rather have a blast playing a game with lousy graphics?