This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jacen22
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts

hey guys my friend just spend almost $2000 building a super gaming rig. he usually just played the ps3 and 360 and purchased games for them. but now that he put so much money into this computer he thinks its fair for him to download torrents for games and play them without paying for it. newest game he got was bulletstorm, which looks amazing by the way(graphics wise). well now i am feeling like a chump for paying for these games when i can get it for free as well. i was hoping you guys could voice in your thoughts on wat i should do, and plz be honest not looking for false prophets. wat do you guys do?

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

Smack your friend, he is a moron. He probably got ripped of anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Building a fancy computer does not entitle your friend to ripping off game developers.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Well if the developers chose to use GFWL they deserve to be ripped off. Have Bulletstorm for 5 days now and I still cant play due to GFWL.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Your friend isn't very bright. I hate people like that... just because you were stupid and blew 2 grand on a PC doesn't entitle you to steal games. FFS people.

Ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Ownsin
Member since 2007 • 1331 Posts
No Piracy is wrong! Stay far far away from it.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="Jacen22"]

hey guys my friend just spend almost $2000 building a super gaming rig. he usually just played the ps3 and 360 and purchased games for them. but now that he put so much money into this computer he thinks its fair for him to download torrents for games and play them without paying for it. newest game he got was bulletstorm, which looks amazing by the way(graphics wise). well now i am feeling like a chump for paying for these games when i can get it for free as well. i was hoping you guys could voice in your thoughts on wat i should do, and plz be honest not looking for false prophets. wat do you guys do?

FelipeInside
And more proof there are idiots on this planet...

*cough* In more ways than one *cough* First, the friend, 2nd there just isn't any other way to say it, who really asks themselves this stupid question?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Jacen22"]

DanielDust
And more proof there are idiots on this planet...

*cough* In more ways than one *cough* First, the friend, 2nd there just isn't any other way to say it, who really asks themselves this stupid question?

Ahhh good work Detective DanielDust. You got what I REALLY meant....
Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jacen22
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] And more proof there are idiots on this planet...

ok, i see alot of trash talking but i see no reasons why you personally think its is wrong and why you would never do it. Since when is it idiotic when someguy is getting something for free that you pay $60 for?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
What kind of answer do you really expect, yes it's ok to pirate? As for 60 games, easy, don't buy them, wait a few months till they go down in price or you find a sale.
badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
lol look like somebody is butthurt of spending $2000 and want to recover those $2000 by downloading pirated games
Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacen22
lol look like somebody is butthurt of spending $2000 and want to recover those $2000 by downloading pirated games badtaker
lol, not really mate. have a laptop i bought back in 2006 which i am still using to this day, last game i played for pc was Fable I. but his comp is ridonk got 3 monitors and crazy lblue water cooling tubes and stuff. theonly system i have is a ps3, and my friends trying to get me to mod/hack it so i can get free games. i just never even thought about it before, it was just hard wired in me to pay for games and never really question it, but he is being really convinving abou the free part and was just looking to see wat others on gamespot thought about this without being holier than thou.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
There are some decent reasons I can see for someone pirating a game. Spending 2 grand on something else, totally unrelated to the game developer or publisher, is not one of them.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="DanielDust"] *cough* In more ways than one *cough* First, the friend, 2nd there just isn't any other way to say it, who really asks themselves this stupid question?Jacen22

ok, i see alot of trash talking but i see no reasons why you personally think its is wrong and why you would never do it. Since when is it idiotic when someguy is getting something for free that you pay $60 for?

Cool mate.

Next time you're in the shopping center, just try those jeans on and leave without paying. What's the use of paying $60 for jeans when you can get them free right?

Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jacen22

[QUOTE="Jacen22"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Ahhh good work Detective DanielDust. You got what I REALLY meant.... FelipeInside

Cool mate.

Next time you're in the shopping center, just try those jeans on and leave without paying. What's the use of paying $60 for jeans when you can get them free right?

well, hell yes i would if i could and you would too. thats the point, everyone here would rather get something for free rather than pay for it. I just wanted to see why people dont apply that to gaming.
Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jacen22

Tell your friend he's an idiot for spending 2k on a gaming rig. (pre-built most likely) and then tell him he's an even bigger idiot if he wants to play buged games on his $2000 rig.

coreybg
oooooh, thats a good point, totally forgot about that. thanx mate, will mention it to him
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="Jacen22"] ok, i see alot of trash talking but i see no reasons why you personally think its is wrong and why you would never do it. Since when is it idiotic when someguy is getting something for free that you pay $60 for?Jacen22

Cool mate.

well, hell yes i would if i could and you would too. thats the point, everyone here would rather get something for free rather than pay for it. I just wanted to see why people dont apply that to gaming.

That's where you are WRONG matey. I would never steal a jean or anything from a shopping center, and I have decency and respect and don't pirate games either. Shamefully, there are people like you who exist in this world.
EvOlVE_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EvOlVE_3
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts

well firstly, if this is just concerned with game piracy tell you friend to stop because it is just killing the pc industry. If your talking about other piracy in general (eg movies/music) while it is still hurting the industry it isnt killing it.

Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jacen22

Tell your friend he's an idiot for spending 2k on a gaming rig. (pre-built most likely) and then tell him he's an even bigger idiot if he wants to play buged games on his $2000 rig.

coreybg
oh, and he custom built it himself. i know the video card alone cost over $600. not sure which one he has, but he has two i think
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Pay for games you want to support, don't pay for games that you don't want to. It's that simple.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

Pay for games you want to support, don't pay for games that you don't want to. It's that simple.KHAndAnime

I wouldn't say that simple.

I agree with paying for games you support.

For games you don't support, actually don't buy them and don't play them. If you pirate them it just gives the dev another excuse not to make a sequel or a crap port.

Is that what you meant?

Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jacen22

@FelipeInside

Everyone has stolen something at some point in their lives, even YOU. Dont try to deny it, it would be like saying you have never lied before. It could have been something small like a pen you borrowed but never returned or something else stupid like that, but according to you its pretty black and white. Get off your self made pedestal and stop passing judgement on people you dont know hypocrite. *I mean all this in the nicest way*

Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jacen22
Pay for games you want to support, don't pay for games that you don't want to. It's that simple.KHAndAnime
yea, i think i feel the same way. never pirated games before but it sounds logical
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FelipeInside

@FelipeInside

Everyone has stolen something at some point in their lives, even YOU. Dont try to deny it, it would be like saying you have never lied before. It could have been something small like a pen you borrowed but never returned or something else stupid like that, but according to you its pretty black and white. Get off your self made pedestal and stop passing judgement on people you dont know hypocrite. *I mean all this in the nicest way*

Jacen22
Get off YOUR pedestal and think you are better than everyone else on the planet and therefore allowed to STEAL. Of course I've stolen minor things before, who hasn't. The odd pen out of the office, the ruler from my neighbour in high school. Comparing that to stealing from a shopping center or from game developers? how naive are you? Do you hijack cars as well?
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
There isn't really an excuse for piracy now. If you can't afford at launch, wait for a price drop, or a sale those are often enough on various Digital Distribution sites.
urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

even if paid $15, 000 for some otherworldly PC,

Piracy is wrong.

there is no reason for you to feel like a chump, Steam has great sales, even EA and GFWL are trying to get in on Steam's act,and with a bad economy world wide shop around / ask around, sometimes you find gems where you never thought they would be, like some out of the way electronics store, in the countries that i am familiar with anyway, maybe yours too.

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

Ok, here's the deal:

Tell him, if he likes a game he should support the developers so they make more games like it in the future.

If that doesn't work, get him to install AVG, that thing thinks all non-licensed software is a virus.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Pay for games you want to support, don't pay for games that you don't want to. It's that simple.FelipeInside

For games you don't support, actually don't buy them and don't play them. If you pirate them it just gives the dev another excuse not to make a sequel or a crap port.

Is that what you meant?

For games you support, buy them. If you happen upon a game and that game "isn't as advertised", then don't support them. This way games can't survive off hype alone, and encourages developers to try harder, think outside the box, and test their game.

Heck, maybe developers might even start releasing demos again. A lot of people buy games after pirating them, all they needed was a taste. But the problem is that most of the time these people don't buy games they like. It would be one thing if PC games were returnable, but they simply aren't. For just about any other product out there, if you buy it and you're unsatisfied with good reason - you'll be able to return that product for a refund. The video game market is something else entirely - as developers can essentially sell the public games that barely work for thousands of people and make a killing off them, Call of Duty: Black Ops ring a bell?

Would you rather reward bad programming just so you can have some black-and-white sense of morality?

Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jacen22
[QUOTE="Jacen22"]

@FelipeInside

FelipeInside
Get off YOUR pedestal and think you are better than everyone else on the planet and therefore allowed to STEAL. Of course I've stolen minor things before, who hasn't. The odd pen out of the office, the ruler from my neighbour in high school. Comparing that to stealing from a shopping center or from game developers? how naive are you? Do you hijack cars as well?

You cant compare stealing from a shopping center to downloading a game. Shopping center is public and cameras are everywhere, a game is easy because no one is watching you....why am I explaining this?? I never sed i condone stealing, you just assumed. Never assume it makes an a** out of you and me
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

@FelipeInside

Jacen22

You cant compare stealing from a shopping center to downloading a game. Shopping center is public and cameras are everywhere, a game is easy because no one is watching you....why am I explaining this?? I never sed i condone stealing, you just assumed. Never assume it makes an a** out of you and me

Depends what country your from. In some countries everything you do on the internet is watched. I hear people get internet cut off all the time for downloading illegal torrents.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Pay for games you want to support, don't pay for games that you don't want to. It's that simple.KHAndAnime

Is that what you meant?

For games you support, buy them. If you happen upon a game and that game "isn't as advertised", then don't support them. This way games can't survive off hype alone, and encourages developers to try harder, think outside the box, and test their game.

Heck, maybe developers might even start releasing demos again. A lot of people buy games after pirating them, all they needed was a taste. But the problem is that most of the time these people don't buy games they like. It would be one thing if PC games were returnable, but they simply aren't. For just about any other product out there, if you buy it and you're unsatisfied with good reason - you'll be able to return that product for a refund. The video game market is something else entirely - as developers can essentially sell the public games that barely work for thousands of people and make a killing off them, Call of Duty: Black Ops ring a bell?

Would you rather reward bad programming just so you can have some black-and-white sense of morality?

Erh, don't buy "bad programming" Simple.
Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jacen22

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Pay for games you want to support, don't pay for games that you don't want to. It's that simple.KHAndAnime

Is that what you meant?

That sounds perfect, you really put your thoughts out there. I think this was the answer i been looking for. It like somewat of a middle ground, a gray area in a black and white world most perceive it as
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Is that what you meant?

GeneralShowzer

Exactly. Don't buy bad programming.

Or at least try not to, buying particular games day one is not always a smart idea :P.I still do it often though. :(

Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jacen22

@bonafidetk:

wow thats crazy, i know that somethings are monitored over the internet but didnt know there are some countries out there that take piracy that serious, something to think about i guess

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

KHAndAnime

Don't pirate it either, if it's so bad :?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] Erh, don't buy "bad programming" Simple.GeneralShowzer

Are you some magical genie who can predict exactly how well a game runs before actually running it on your system? You should hook me up.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Exactly. Don't buy bad programming. KHAndAnime

Are you some magical genie who can predict exactly how well a game runs before actually running it on your system? You should hook me up.

Uhm, what? There are benchmarks, demo's, that's why they release minimun requirements. If anything you can ask on a forum, how does this run for you?

systemrequirementslab.com

Poor excuse...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

@FelipeInside

Jacen22

Ahhhh, sorry, I understood you wrong. So when no one is watching then stealing is correct. But if there are cameras and if it's a public place then stealing is a no go.... gotcha. "I never sed i condone stealing, you just assumed." hahahaha, what do you think pirating a game is...? why am I EXPLAINING this?
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GeneralShowzer

TC, if you are just looking for justification to play all the free games there are cheap, PC is not the best option so you know :?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] Don't pirate it either, if it's so bad :?

GeneralShowzer

Uhm, what? There are benchmarks, demo's, that's why they release minimun requirements. If anything you can ask on a forum, how does this run for you?

Poor excuse...

it seems like a pretty good excuse to me ,demos are a rarity now for PC games and system requirements don't mean much when the game is programmed or optimized badly.

leeveeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 leeveeu
Member since 2003 • 3405 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Are you some magical genie who can predict exactly how well a game runs before actually running it on your system? You should hook me up.iwilson1296

Poor excuse...

it seems like a pretty good excuse to me ,demos are a rarity now for PC games and system requirements don't mean much when the game is programmed or optimized badly.

So if you find out that the pirated version works just fine on your rig, will you buy the original copy?
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Here we go again

badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts

[QUOTE="badtaker"]lol look like somebody is butthurt of spending $2000 and want to recover those $2000 by downloading pirated games Jacen22
lol, not really mate. have a laptop i bought back in 2006 which i am still using to this day, last game i played for pc was Fable I. but his comp is ridonk got 3 monitors and crazy lblue water cooling tubes and stuff. theonly system i have is a ps3, and my friends trying to get me to mod/hack it so i can get free games. i just never even thought about it before, it was just hard wired in me to pay for games and never really question it, but he is being really convinving abou the free part and was just looking to see wat others on gamespot thought about this without being holier than thou.

if he is so rich then why not support developers.

everybody thinks like your friend then gaming will die because people work hard and invest money to make games and if they don't get invested money back then how will they make next game ?

i would suggest you that "always support developers" and don't care what others think