Footage from Black Isle's Fallout 3

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

I'm sure most fallout fans already have seen this video, but just in case you haven't, NMA (no mutants allowed, a fallout fansite) has released real footage from Black Isle's Fallout 3, which later was cancelled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuDKrY7eW0

Edit: Here's a high res screenshot gallery taken from the video

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=39

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

*stands and salutes*

too bad :(

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 inoperativeRS

*stands and salutes*

too bad :(

trollop_scat

Couldn't agree more. This game really had the potential to be even better than the first two Fallouts, and that says a lot. 

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Thanks for posting it, I hadn't seen that video tho I knew about VB and had seen some screenshots. Such a shame it never came to be. It seemed to be exactly what I wanted from F3. :(
Hydras808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Hydras808
Member since 2005 • 83 Posts
Isn't Bethesda developing Fallout 3 now?
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 inoperativeRS

Isn't Bethesda developing Fallout 3 now?Hydras808

Yes, but they started from scratch.

picho86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 picho86
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts

Did you really have to remind me of that?:( 

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts

They're developing a game based off of the Fallout universe, but it's most defintely NOT going to be a *true* Fallout game.   Got to make it appeal to the masses and such...ugh... I can't watch.       RIP Fallout...  

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts

Damn, it looked pretty nice, IMO. Well, now it'll just be another crappy game that is hailed as the best game ever by the masses, it's the only thing I've seen lately.

*prepares his grand crusade against Bethesda* 

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 inoperativeRS

Damn, it looked pretty nice, IMO. Well, now it'll just be another crappy game that is hailed as the best game ever by the masses, it's the only thing I've seen lately.

*prepares his grand crusade against Bethesda*

ShotGunBunny

I still have some hope in Bethesda, but if they do screw it up like Oblivion I will gladly join your crusade. Can't we name it Jihad instead, that sounds much cooler :P.

*Parrotman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 *Parrotman
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts
They will milk Fallout dry and kill what were once the greatest games ever :(
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I'm sure most fallout fans already have seen this video, but just in case you haven't, NMA (no mutants allowed, a fallout fansite) has released real footage from Black Isle's Fallout 3, which later was cancelled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuDKrY7eW0

Edit: Here's a high res screenshot gallery taken from the video

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=39

inoperativeRS

That physically hurt.  I'm going to go cry for a while now....... 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
That's a shame.
Drizzt13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Drizzt13
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
Fallout I'll always love you. R.I.P.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts
I don't get it... What's so great about that video? The graphics are crap, the gameplay seems to be sooo old school, no innovation at all in that cancelled game! Now, I'm not saying Bethesda did a good job on Oblivion, but hopefully they will make a game with kickass graphics that appeals more to the hardcore RPG-fan, instead of making an action-game...
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

"but hopefully they will make a game with kickass graphics that appeals more to the hardcore RPG-fan, instead of making an action-game... "

I dont think you know what a hardcore RPG fan is...

A hardcore RPG fan doesn't care about kickass graphics.  To them...that "old school" gameplay looked amazing...

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 inoperativeRS

I don't get it... What's so great about that video? The graphics are crap, the gameplay seems to be sooo old school, no innovation at all in that cancelled game! Now, I'm not saying Bethesda did a good job on Oblivion, but hopefully they will make a game with kickass graphics that appeals more to the hardcore RPG-fan, instead of making an action-game...artur79

Have you played fallout 1 or 2?

*Parrotman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 *Parrotman
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts

The graphics never mattered in any Fallout game. Oblivion also has better graphics than Fallout, but is still one of the worst RPG games ever.

Fallout is king, and ANYTHING would've been better than Bethesda developing the 3rd part. Van Buren is/was the only true 3rd part.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
both this and Troika's tech demo looked amazing :(
eightdotthree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 eightdotthree
Member since 2004 • 71 Posts
XCUSE ME WHILE I WEEP
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 artur79

"but hopefully they will make a game with kickass graphics that appeals more to the hardcore RPG-fan, instead of making an action-game... "

A hardcore RPG fan doesn't care about kickass graphics.  To them...that "old school" gameplay looked amazing...

dnuggs40

Ah... the good old "us real gamers don't care about the gfx". So being hardcore means not wanting any graphical evolution in RPGs whatsoever? As long as you have your isometric view and low res textures, then it's a real RPG?

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

A hardcore RPG fan doesn't care about kickass graphics. To them...that "old school" gameplay looked amazing...

artur79

Ah... the good old "us real gamers don't care about the gfx". So being hardcore means not wanting any graphical evolution in RPGs whatsoever? As long as you have your isometric view and low res textures, then it's a real RPG?

No, it means we care more about gameplay, dialogue and story than graphics. And if you had played the original fallouts you'd know that they have some gameplay features that still today would be considered innovative if they were implemented into a new rpg.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

artur79

Ah... the good old "us real gamers don't care about the gfx". So being hardcore means not wanting any graphical evolution in RPGs whatsoever? As long as you have your isometric view and low res textures, then it's a real RPG?

I am not saying that.  I like nice graphics too, but the people who are considered "hardcore RPG fans" generally care about gameplay and depth first, not graphics.  If you played the original fallout, you could see the graphics were improved in the new video and screenshots. 

The hardcore crowd (I am not really a part off) saw this as a thumbs up that developers were potentially concentrating on the things that made Fallout great...isometric tactical gameplay, great depth, and other aspects that wave bye-bye alot of the times when developers try and make a game cutting edge graphically.

It's not about having no evolution, it's about sticking to what made things great...

I am sure most hardcore RPG fans would be sick to thier stomachs if fallout 3 turned out to be a FPS/RPG with cutting edge graphics sans all the depth and options that made the originals great (ala Obivion).

gozalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gozalo
Member since 2003 • 1102 Posts
Looks better than anything Bethesda is going to make.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 artur79

Well, I said a game that has good gfx and that appeals more to the "hardcore" RPG-fan. To me that means you care about dialogue (or interacting with your surroundings in general) and story first, then a good skill/feat/power-system and last but not least the fighting system. I'm not going to lie, I have not played the original games, but I've played similar RPGs. I simply HATE isometric view, the immersion is non-existant to me. Let's put it this way: old school RPGs have a lot of text in them (like Planescape), sometimes it's almost like reading a book. When you read Lord of the Rings, I doubt you're imagining everything in a top down isometric view... If you do, stop playing all those PC-games. :)

Bethesda used too much time on Oblivion's graphics engine, they forgot to make the gameplay great. But they have the engine now, maybe they can focus more on the deeper acpects of the game like the story and so on... Maybe Fallout 3 is going to be what Oblivion should have been. A deep RPG with cutting edge gfx. (Although I doubt it...) If they are smart, they will hire some of the original devs to make this game at least resemble F 1 & 2.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 inoperativeRS

Well, I said a game that has good gfx and that appeals more to the "hardcore" RPG-fan. To me that means you care about dialogue (or interacting with your surroundings in general) and story first, then a good skill/feat/power-system and last but not least the fighting system.

artur79

Believe me, the dialogue and interaction in Fallout are pretty much unrivaled to this day.

Edit: Regarding Planescape, I can't see how the isometric view has any kind of effect on the dialogue. At least personally I've never had any problems to get immersed simply because of the POV.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts

[QUOTE="Hydras808"]Isn't Bethesda developing Fallout 3 now?SuperBeast

They're developing a game based off of the Fallout universe, but it's most defintely NOT going to be a *true* Fallout game. Got to make it appeal to the masses and such...ugh... I can't watch. RIP Fallout...

They have the license. Even if they did Fallout: Tetris it would be a true fallout. 

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dnuggs40

I think you are missing the point in people saying a "true" fallout game. 

Sticking a brand name on a box doesn't make it a true successor to the label.  Look at the new Shadow Run :(

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 artur79
[QUOTE="artur79"]

Well, I said a game that has good gfx and that appeals more to the "hardcore" RPG-fan. To me that means you care about dialogue (or interacting with your surroundings in general) and story first, then a good skill/feat/power-system and last but not least the fighting system.

inoperativeRS

Believe me, the dialogue and interaction in Fallout are pretty much unrivaled to this day.

Edit: Regarding Planescape, I can't see how the isometric view has any kind of effect on the dialogue. At least personally I've never had any problems to get immersed simply because of the POV.

Well, that means there is another RPG with isometric view I have to play (God, how I hate it, I like to see the faces of the NPCs I'm talking to, so it does have an effect on dialogue). I liked Planescape, but the game could have been sooo much better if it was more like MW. But that's too much to ask of such an old game. Isometric view is just not a natural view, if you know what I mean. (nor is 3 person, but it's way more immersive).  Think of Vampyre, it's a FPS/RPG, but it is in no way a shallow game. Or MW, Kotor and Gothic-series.

newbpwnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 newbpwnage
Member since 2007 • 2409 Posts
im glad they kept the similar gameplay (from the looks of it) and didnt oblivionize it.
newbpwnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 newbpwnage
Member since 2007 • 2409 Posts

thats what the hardcoer gamers care about... the depth, then gameplay, then graphics. in that order. 

crapdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 crapdog
Member since 2006 • 427 Posts
screenshots look like a remake of fallout 1 by some students in their free time
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="artur79"]

artur79

Well, that means there is another RPG with isometric view I have to play (God, how I hate it, I like to see the faces of the NPCs I'm talking to, so it does have an effect on dialogue). I liked Planescape, but the game could have been sooo much better if it was more like MW. But that's too much to ask of such an old game. Isometric view is just not a natural view, if you know what I mean. (nor is 3 person, but it's way more immersive). Think of Vampyre, it's a FPS/RPG, but it is in no way a shallow game. Or MW, Kotor and Gothic-series.

Fallout actually has first person conversations (only with the more important NPCs that are directly connected to the story, but nonetheless).

The thing with third and first person rpgs is that even if you actually can see the NPC's face, it doesn't really show any kind of emotion, or sometimes even open it's mouth. For me that's has a much bigger impact on immersion than not seeing the face at all.

-XXVII-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 -XXVII-
Member since 2005 • 313 Posts
I have faith that bethesda will do well with F3, hopefully its not turnbased (the reason i never got into fallout even though i watched my buddy play it quite a bit).
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
Talk about pouring salt on the wounds.  You want to kick me in the nuts while you're at it?  Oh wait, Bethesda is lined up and waiting to do that already.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 artur79
[QUOTE="artur79"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="artur79"]

inoperativeRS

Well, that means there is another RPG with isometric view I have to play (God, how I hate it, I like to see the faces of the NPCs I'm talking to, so it does have an effect on dialogue). I liked Planescape, but the game could have been sooo much better if it was more like MW. But that's too much to ask of such an old game. Isometric view is just not a natural view, if you know what I mean. (nor is 3 person, but it's way more immersive). Think of Vampyre, it's a FPS/RPG, but it is in no way a shallow game. Or MW, Kotor and Gothic-series.

Fallout actually has first person conversations (only with the more important NPCs that are directly connected to the story, but nonetheless).

The thing with third and first person rpgs is that even if you actually can see the NPC's face, it doesn't really show any kind of emotion, or sometimes even open it's mouth. For me that's has a much bigger impact on immersion than not seeing the face at all.

My point was, modern PC/console-technology can enhance this aspect of gameplay. Look at Mass Effect! Amazing facial expressions. That's where the graphics come in, so to say gfx are not important is BS. Good facial expressions will make any story driven game much more immersive.. Again Vampyre is a great example.

Valas_Azuviir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Valas_Azuviir
Member since 2003 • 1533 Posts

I don't get it... What's so great about that video? The graphics are crap, the gameplay seems to be sooo old school, no innovation at all in that cancelled game! Now, I'm not saying Bethesda did a good job on Oblivion, but hopefully they will make a game with kickass graphics that appeals more to the hardcore RPG-fan, instead of making an action-game...artur79

Keep in mind, that this game was cancelled in 2003. If what J. E. Sawyer (currently at Obsidian) and others have said is true (also taking into consideration that I've understood them correctly of course), then it was roughly 80 to 90% done. Meaning they could've released the game in late 2004. Now compare those graphics to say Silverfall, Dawn of Magic, Titan Quest, or Restricted Area, all of which were released 2005 or later. Holds up fairly well, I'd say.

Now it might not be your cup of tea, but that's another issue all together.  As for the old school bit, I do believe that's already been addressed by others, as the main point for a true hardcore rpg-fan.

Hence, also why Devil Whiskey is so popular with the old school Bard's Tale fans. ;-)

It either clicks or it doesn't. *shrugs* 

xanthus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xanthus
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="artur79"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

A hardcore RPG fan doesn't care about kickass graphics. To them...that "old school" gameplay looked amazing...

inoperativeRS

Ah... the good old "us real gamers don't care about the gfx". So being hardcore means not wanting any graphical evolution in RPGs whatsoever? As long as you have your isometric view and low res textures, then it's a real RPG?

No, it means we care more about gameplay, dialogue and story than graphics. And if you had played the original fallouts you'd know that they have some gameplay features that still today would be considered innovative if they were implemented into a new rpg.

True.

Hell, Baldur's Gate 2 had complexity and features that modern RPGs haven't even come to close to yet.

BUT....you guys are being WAAAAAAAAAAY too hard on Oblivion. Bashing ES4 is just a silly trend of jaded old-school fanboys. I agree, vanila ES4 was dumbed-down in a bad way. But have any of you tried FranOOOMMM (FCOM)??? It's a mod that combines a handful of huge gameplay/item/monster/npc/levelling mods into one GARGANTUAN gameplay mod that makes Oblivion into an entirely different experience. Basically 100% better; totally different from the dumbed down crap that Bethesda put out to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Anyone who still wants to give Oblivion a chance, try the FCOM mod. Trust me, it makes Oblivion into the game it SHOULD have been.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="artur79"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="artur79"]

artur79

My point was, modern PC/console-technology can enhance this aspect of gameplay. Look at Mass Effect! Amazing facial expressions. That's where the graphics come in, so to say gfx are not important is BS. Good facial expressions will make any story driven game much more immersive.. Again Vampyre is a great example.

True. I never said graphics are totally irrelevant, they're just not as important as other parts of the game. Not even the greatest facial animation in the world will make bad dialogue good. Mass Effect does look amazing though, one of my most anticipated games for a long time. 

xanthus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xanthus
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I will say this;

A modest and comparitively basic RPG like the original KOTOR (1 not 2) was absolutely fantastic, and it didn't need the complexity and huge depth of old-school RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Fallout. (yes, KOTOR was comparitively basic)

So I don't think every single RPG has to meet the demands of ULTRA-HARDCORE fanboys to relive their memories from the last decade.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dnuggs40

"So I don't think every single RPG has to meet the demands of ULTRA-HARDCORE fanboys to relive their memories from the last decade.

I agree not every game need to meet the damands of the ultra hardcore.  The thing is, barely ANY games put out these days comes even close to meeting those standards.

So consider this, Fallout games are the epitome of what this group relishes in, and is what the series is all about.  Would it be that bad if someone decided to throw them a bone?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AdrianWerner

I will say this;

A modest and comparitively basic RPG like the original KOTOR (1 not 2) was absolutely fantastic, and it didn't need the complexity and huge depth of old-school RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Fallout. (yes, KOTOR was comparitively basic)

So I don't think every single RPG has to meet the demands of ULTRA-HARDCORE fanboys to relive their memories from the last decade.

xanthus

Of course not every RPG has to be hardcore, but a sequel to legendary hardcore RPG should 

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="artur79"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="artur79"]

artur79

My point was, modern PC/console-technology can enhance this aspect of gameplay. Look at Mass Effect! Amazing facial expressions. That's where the graphics come in, so to say gfx are not important is BS. Good facial expressions will make any story driven game much more immersive.. Again Vampyre is a great example.

Maybe it's just Pen and Paper RPG gamer talking thorhough me but I prefered when games left something to gamer's imagination. One of my most loved Planescape:T features was that text also was descriptive, like listening to game master. Not that I don;t enjoy high production games like Vampire, but I can enjoy isometric just as much(plus it;s cheaper to create content in isometric RPGs, which allows for more expansive games).  

joykills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 joykills
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts
i hope fallout 3 is a mmorpg.
koza_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 koza_76
Member since 2005 • 338 Posts
So the good die young and pricks live forever.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 inoperativeRS

"So I don't think every single RPG has to meet the demands of ULTRA-HARDCORE fanboys to relive their memories from the last decade.

I agree not every game need to meet the damands of the ultra hardcore. The thing is, barely ANY games put out these days comes even close to meeting those standards.

So consider this, Fallout games are the epitome of what this group relishes in, and is what the series is all about. Would it be that bad if someone decided to throw them a bone?

dnuggs40

That's really what it's all about. I have no problem with most games being directed at more casual gamers, hell, I actually enjoy playing simple games almost as much as playing complex ones. But right now there's no balance between them. Almost all games are dumbed down to the max, and I don't think it's simply because of consoles like some people claim, they may have started it but look at WoW, one of the most dumbed downed MMORPGs ever and it sells like crazy. Don't you think developers are encouraged by that?

We need a real sequel to Fallout, if only because the whole concept of actually complex games is dying. I don't want to tell my children about the time when games actually required more than fast reflexes, I want them to experience it themselves.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58557 Posts
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

I agree not every game need to meet the damands of the ultra hardcore. The thing is, barely ANY games put out these days comes even close to meeting those standards.

So consider this, Fallout games are the epitome of what this group relishes in, and is what the series is all about. Would it be that bad if someone decided to throw them a bone?

inoperativeRS

That's really what it's all about. I have no problem with most games being directed at more casual gamers, hell, I actually enjoy playing simple games almost as much as playing complex ones. But right now there's no balance between them. Almost all games are dumbed down to the max, and I don't think it's simply because of consoles like some people claim, they may have started it but look at WoW, one of the most dumbed downed MMORPGs ever and it sells like crazy. Don't you think developers are encouraged by that?

We need a real sequel to Fallout, if only because the whole concept of actually complex games is dying. I don't want to tell my children about the time when games actually required more than fast reflexes, I want them to experience it themselves.

Oh man, totally.  The problem is, from my speculation, that publishers just dont want to make a game that will sell for less than x amount of copies, even if they stand to make a profit of it.  Its like they have a minimum amount theyre willing to make, and if they predict that amount wont be reached, they either trash the game or dumb it down and turn it into a "pop" game that is marketed towards the lowest common denominator, aka some idiot or your little 8 year old cousin.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

mrbojangles25

Oh man, totally. The problem is, from my speculation, that publishers just dont want to make a game that will sell for less than x amount of copies, even if they stand to make a profit of it. Its like they have a minimum amount theyre willing to make, and if they predict that amount wont be reached, they either trash the game or dumb it down and turn it into a "pop" game that is marketed towards the lowest common denominator, aka some idiot or your little 8 year old cousin.

It's quite understandable from a business POV yes, but that doesn't make it more acceptable. In a way I think piracy actually could help us, as we (as in the hardcore fan community) actually buy games while the rest just download them. It would be interesting to see how well Fallout 3 with outdated graphics would sell if it was everything the fans want otherwise, I really think it would have a modest chance to have the same procentual profit (or whatever the correct term is) as for example a NFS game or some other EA franchise (except madden of course) simply because all the fans would buy it, not download it.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dnuggs40
Thats an interesting idea.  I think you might be right.  Look at Galactic Civilizations.  They didn't even bother to put copy protection on it, yet it sold pretty well, and considering how much it cost to develop, they ended up pretty good.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 inoperativeRS
Good example. Should we start a petition right now? :P