Finished STALKER..help decide a good, atmospheric game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shane_orija
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts

So, I am about to end STALKER and it is easily one of the best games I have ever played. Another game I liked was Metro 2033. Which of the following games would you recommend keeping the last statement in context :-

Bioshock

Fallout 3 (Played it for a few hours and didn't really like it but I'm willing to give it another go)

Dead Space

or any other

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Bioshock 1 is an essential game to play.

You can safely miss Bioshock 2 though ;)

megatroneo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 megatroneo
Member since 2010 • 115 Posts

Dead Space is $10 right now on EA's site.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Dead Space.

Bioshock 2 has much better gameplay than the first, which you can safely ignore.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Dead Space.

Bioshock 2 has much better gameplay than the first, which you can safely ignore.

Baranga

WHAT? Utter blasphemy!

Bioshock 1 has:

Better graphics

Better story

Introduces rapture in a truly amazing way (Rapture is THE star of Bioshoc btw)

Better story

Would you kindly!!!!!!!!

Better story

Profit!

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

Dead Space.

Baranga
the original Bioshock had a much better plot and general atmosphere though. Condemned's atmosphere is really intense as well.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

Dead Space.

Daytona_178

WHAT? Utter blasphemy!

Bioshock 1 has:

Better graphics

Better story

Better story

Would you kindly!!!!!!!!

Better story

Profit!

Mhm. Well then the TC can buy System Shock 2, since it features the same story and has much better gameplay. And get Bioshock 2 for a more interesting Rapture and even better gameplay...

shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shane_orija
I have played System Shock 2 but it was a long while ago. Anyway, what do you guys think of F.E.A.R.?
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I have played System Shock 2 but it was a long while ago. Anyway, what do you guys think of F.E.A.R.?shane_orija

It has a good atmosphere but a terrible setting. You'll quickly tire of its monotone office and industrial complex settings; independant of that, its good gunplay, AI, and some genuinly horror moments. Its a very good game save for some flaws.

BTW, FEAR 1 is a true horror/creepy game. FEAR 2 is a scary game relying more on cheap surprise mechanics.

Nills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Nills
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

Give fallout 3 another go. I was like you that I didn't like it at first but it is good stick with it. Although there are some parts of the game that suck, most of it is awesome.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
Go for Fallout 3.

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

Dead Space.

Daytona_178

WHAT? Utter blasphemy!

Bioshock 1 has:

Better graphics

Better story

Better story

Would you kindly!!!!!!!!

Better story

Profit!

Bioshock is definitely not the best Bioshock, gunplay missed some essential features in today's games like iron sights, in graphics, I really can't say anything since I think both games look the same, although Bioshock 2 has these FPS drops when I enter an area, just like if I had never seen it before in-game, the textures are loaded, but it lags terribly for a couple seconds, storywise, it was indeed better, about Rapture being the Star, Bioshock indeed has this AWWEEEEE feeling to it, but it ain't better than the second one's, it looks so good and atmospheric because it was your first time around.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

FEAR is a pretty good game, with some deawbacks, the shooting is awesome, and the ai is impressive in FEAR (but only in FEAR1 for some reason)

It is a bit sad tho that the games envioments are so bland and stale, the center of that game is the action, the shooting, and the supernatural aspect (ehich is not scary, but kinda neat).

I would say that anyone really should try playing the first FEAR, it is that kind of game.

In other words FEAR1 YES! FEAR2 no.

Other games you might consider are:

Deus Ex, this is an old game, but very atmospheric, IF you can look past how dated some of the mechanics are, it is a long deep, well thought out cyberpunk game, that in some ways will remind you a bit of STALKER (as in quests, inventory and such) and also has a deeper layer of rpg elements, that does not break the game tho. (such as pussing earned skillpoints into hacking shoorting different kinds of weapons). It is fairly old tho, and while I consider it very good, I know it is not for everyone, anyways chances are that since you playied SS2 you allready playied this.

Which brings me to: Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines, an odd mix of an rpg 3rd person fighting and 1st person shooting, it is just as atmospheric as STALKER, a bit older, but I think it still holds up nicely, both in content, graphics, sound and gameplay.

Mind you, Vampire is 1) an rpg, altho it feels like a shooter it is undoubtly an rpg, which offers a wide range of choices in how to fight, and when to, not unlike STALKER. 2) The game was really broken at launch, but is corrected and build on by the community patches (easy to install, and works with the steam version).

Dead space, is a bit of a hit or miss game, I like it, some people dont, and for the price it is going for it is worth getting, it is quite atmospheric, altho it does not hold a candle to STALKER in that area. But it is a very good 3rd person Horror game (not so much survival since ammo is not something you run out of alot).

If you playied SS2 then I do nto think you should get Bioshock, you will feel underwhelmed, that game is pretty much like system shock 2, just in a different setting, and with everything neat and good about that game pulled out of it, Ther eis no scavanging, no hiding, no creepy opponants, and horrible shooting mechanics, and while SS2 had worse graphics I would even argue that the "magic" in SS2 is far better done then it is in Bioshock.

You might like it for the novelty factor, and the interresting setting, but everything else?Is going to be underwhelming.

Most of the games mentioned have a really good amount of atmosphere, and all of them (even those I would not reccoment) are enjoyable, how enjoyable depends on what you have playied before you play that game.

You might also try to give FO3 another shot, it has horrible shooting, which I blame on the engine they use more then anything, but apart from that, especially if you like exploration, it does become somewhat good later on, especially if you get the GOTY edition. It is not as atmospheric as the games mentioned, and often feel "empty" or rather a lack of varriation in what you meet, and how things look, it is a decent game tho, I would say it is a game for anyone who likes exploration.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
Atmospheric huh? Well, out of your list, BioShock has the best atmosphere. As for any other? Well, here is my list: Thief: Deadly Shadows, Mirror's Edge, Deus Ex, Chronicles of Riddick, Batman: AA, Assassin's Creed, Dragon's Age, Jade Empire, and Arcanum (for the old school folks!).
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Get both BioShock and Dead Space. This is according to what you liked about Stalker and Metro 2033. I prefer Dead Space, but BioShock was amazing as well, with a bit of flaws.
JW-toch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JW-toch
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

Bioshock is definitely not the best Bioshock, gunplay missed some essential features in today's games like iron sights rmfd341

But Bioshock 1 has iron sights. :P

face_ripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 face_ripper
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts

Bioshock and Dead Space are worth playing, their very cheap nowadays.

magusat999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#18 magusat999
Member since 2005 • 881 Posts

Im not promoting FEAR, but I did have to add that the first one had a way of making you truly fear for your life. FEAR 2 never felt that way. One of the most fearful moments was when one of those robot gunner things get you pinned down in an office and seems to know exactly where you are, blasting at you every time you try to move towards an exit and moving around for a better shot at you! That was freaky, because you see it earlier and think, I hope I don't have to fight that thing... but yes - you do.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#19 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Bioshock 1/2 Can I also recommend Thief?! The atmosphere is as rich as any game today!
keren_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 keren_man
Member since 2009 • 191 Posts

Try fallout 3, i wasn't like it too in the first view, but after I play it for another hour, I think this is the best action-rpg game in this decade

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

Try fallout 3, i wasn't like it too in the first view, but after I play it for another hour, I think this is the best action-rpg game in this decade

keren_man
] What about Mass Effect 2? It's only a few RPG elements, but in the ''Action RPG'' genre, it's definitely it's prime.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
The first Condemned is brilliant. Very different from Stalker but the atmosphere is almost as good.
Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

FEAR is a pretty good game, with some deawbacks, the shooting is awesome, and the ai is impressive in FEAR (but only in FEAR1 for some reason)

It is a bit sad tho that the games envioments are so bland and stale, the center of that game is the action, the shooting, and the supernatural aspect (ehich is not scary, but kinda neat).

I would say that anyone really should try playing the first FEAR, it is that kind of game.

In other words FEAR1 YES! FEAR2 no.

Other games you might consider are:

Deus Ex, this is an old game, but very atmospheric, IF you can look past how dated some of the mechanics are, it is a long deep, well thought out cyberpunk game, that in some ways will remind you a bit of STALKER (as in quests, inventory and such) and also has a deeper layer of rpg elements, that does not break the game tho. (such as pussing earned skillpoints into hacking shoorting different kinds of weapons). It is fairly old tho, and while I consider it very good, I know it is not for everyone, anyways chances are that since you playied SS2 you allready playied this.

Which brings me to: Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines, an odd mix of an rpg 3rd person fighting and 1st person shooting, it is just as atmospheric as STALKER, a bit older, but I think it still holds up nicely, both in content, graphics, sound and gameplay.

Mind you, Vampire is 1) an rpg, altho it feels like a shooter it is undoubtly an rpg, which offers a wide range of choices in how to fight, and when to, not unlike STALKER. 2) The game was really broken at launch, but is corrected and build on by the community patches (easy to install, and works with the steam version).

Dead space, is a bit of a hit or miss game, I like it, some people dont, and for the price it is going for it is worth getting, it is quite atmospheric, altho it does not hold a candle to STALKER in that area. But it is a very good 3rd person Horror game (not so much survival since ammo is not something you run out of alot).

If you playied SS2 then I do nto think you should get Bioshock, you will feel underwhelmed, that game is pretty much like system shock 2, just in a different setting, and with everything neat and good about that game pulled out of it, Ther eis no scavanging, no hiding, no creepy opponants, and horrible shooting mechanics, and while SS2 had worse graphics I would even argue that the "magic" in SS2 is far better done then it is in Bioshock.

You might like it for the novelty factor, and the interresting setting, but everything else?Is going to be underwhelming.

Most of the games mentioned have a really good amount of atmosphere, and all of them (even those I would not reccoment) are enjoyable, how enjoyable depends on what you have playied before you play that game.

You might also try to give FO3 another shot, it has horrible shooting, which I blame on the engine they use more then anything, but apart from that, especially if you like exploration, it does become somewhat good later on, especially if you get the GOTY edition. It is not as atmospheric as the games mentioned, and often feel "empty" or rather a lack of varriation in what you meet, and how things look, it is a decent game tho, I would say it is a game for anyone who likes exploration.

Maddie_Larkin

This guy hit the nail on the head.

I didn't think Bioshock was a necessary game after having played System Shock 2. Bioshock had less features and no penalty for dying, you'd just get revived 50 feet from where you died. You could get through the whole game with the wrench melee weapon if you wanted to. It did indeed have good atmosphere though and a cool Ayn Rand dystopian style setting.

Deus Ex and Vampire the Masquerade are very atmospheric games if thats what you are looking for after STALKER. Very fun games with very compelling stories.

Deadspace is great too. What I like best about it is that you aren't the cliche space marine named 'Max Blood' or 'Wolf Roidrage' with a neck and shoulders thicker than an elephant's ass.The game makes you feel like a regular Joe who was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time (Gordon Freeman style) and because of it you are always on your toes. the gameplay is very rewarding. My only gripe would be easy bosses.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I'll come back and say it again. Metro 2033.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

I'll come back and say it again. Metro 2033. Elann2008

TC said he already played that game and liked it...good game, though.

jembles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jembles
Member since 2010 • 114 Posts
if you liked the go anywhere do what you want feel of stalker go with fallout 3 bioshock and deadspace are not really rpgs you can buy upgrades and ammo in bioshock and in deadspace you can buy ammo armour upgrades and other upgrades but you need schematics witch are easy to find like they are on your way to places and easy to get but deadspace has an invintory sapce and bioshock does not in fallout 3 you have a weight limit like stalker and you can go anywhere you want like stalker my friend has fallout 3 and i borrowed it for about a month and i know almost everything in the game fallout 3 has good addons but they are not essential i only have broken steel witch expands the story and adds more items and i also have point lookout witch adds a new swamp like area in my opinion its not the best area but fallout 3 is the biggest game out of the games you listed has a great story and good gameplay this would be my 1st choice bioshock has a good story with a slight twist and the gameplay is great and the game features vending machines as shops witch you will use often (they are the shops) bioshock would be my 2nd choice deadspace has a good atmosphere and not bad gameplay but the story isnt really there but it is still a good game this would be my 3rd choice fallout 3 is the game that has the best stalker atmosphere and gameplay like stalker i say go look at some reveiws and see what you like best but i gave some ideas as to what these games are like
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
I was going to say Metro 2033 but you already played it. I found Bioshock 1 was really atmospheric. Never played number 2. Dead Space scared the **** out of me, far more-so than STALKER.
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shane_orija
Thanks for the replies folks. I have already played and loved Deus Ex and Mass Effect 2. I am getting Bioshock and re-installling Fallout 3 for now but I will be getting Dead Space, Condemned and F.E.A.R. too.
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shane_orija
Also would you guys recommend Manhunt?
SirMordredX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#30 SirMordredX
Member since 2009 • 326 Posts

Gotta say that Fallout 3 would be the logical choice; setting aside Call of Pripyat that is. If you want more STALKER, than COP is the way to go. Otherwise Condemned [for horror], System Shock [for action and role-play alike] or Dead Space [If you're in the mood for a more action oriented horror game].