Fallout fans, what say you about fallout 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

napp123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 napp123
Member since 2007 • 865 Posts

I'm enjoying it!

ShermanMurman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ShermanMurman
Member since 2008 • 76 Posts
its pretty fun, i just hate always having to scavenge for stuff. one of the reasons i HATE stalker. but its still a really cool game
Avatar image for hedgehogenstein
hedgehogenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hedgehogenstein
Member since 2008 • 91 Posts
It's a joke compared with Fallout 1 and 2, but it's much better than Oblivion.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I am pleasently overwhelmed. In many ways Fallout 3 remained a fallout, altho it also remained alot of Oblivion(esque).

I was pretty much silently pessimistic, that It'd live up to its namesakes. But the weight of the universe is there, its mostly intact, and it is both sharp and relatively deep (as deep as Bethesta can go)

Now if only the game wouldnt screw my computer up so bad that I have to reformat after playing :( (after playing the game keeps freezing my pc, even after resets and going back to an earlier system point)

the weapons have a great diverse feel to them, and the locations altho a bit bleak often gives some nice rewards, both visual and item wise

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

A bastardization of the original games and highly inconsistent with the lore set before it, not bad as a stand alone game though.

If they didn't name it as if it was supposed to be a Fallout sequel there wouldn't be a problem.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

it's pretty good -- definitely much better than the Elder Scroll games which i detest. but as a successor of the franchise, Fallout 3 falls short on many aspects. masterful writing is still something Bethesda can't figure out, and the dialogue strikes me as mediocre compared to the previous Fallouts. the Wasteland is visually breath-taking, but somehow it's very empty, and you'd have to walk FAR to come across a feral dog or a radroach to kill. in the end, the 3d world doesn't necessarily feel more compelling than the 2d world map in the old games. other things i don't like include horrible character animations, level cap, and buggy performance here and there.

but don't get me wrong. i actually like Fallout 3.....just not as THE Fallout 3, if you get what i mean. what i like about this game? pipboy radio....it's one of the coolest things i've seen in a game for a long while. :)

SentientGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 SentientGames
Member since 2004 • 633 Posts

I've been a fan since Wasteland, and PA settings are probably my favorite type of sci-fi genre. I think expecting (or even hoping) that any new Fallout game could ever live up to the legendary status of the first two Fallouts is naive. Even if they got the original team from Interplay to make Fallout 3, I doubt it would be able to compete with the first two.

So, after initially being turned off by the differences, I decided I wasn't going to hung up on "what's missing" and "what doesn't fit". Honestly, as long as Bethesda made a decent attempt at breathing new life into a great but dormant franchise, I realized I should just happy and enjoy the game. And I must say Bethsoft did a pretty good job. I find myself sucked into the game and eager to explore the next area. Don't get me wrong. There's definitely some major problems with the game that can that clearly be pegged as "Bethesda Problems", and it's far from the direction I would have like to see them go, but I can't be stubborn and complain.

Adam-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Adam-117
Member since 2007 • 238 Posts

A bastardization of the original games and highly inconsistent with the lore set before it, not bad as a stand alone game though.

If they didn't name it as if it was supposed to be a Fallout sequel there wouldn't be a problem.

AnnoyedDragon

What are the differences with the lore of fallout 3 and fallout1+?

A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I'm enjoying playing This Oblivion mod...it improved it! :D
Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts
I'm not really a part of the group that your question was directed to, but I have both Fallouts, have a great amount of respect and love for them, but just haven't gotten very far in them. I personally love this game, and think it's one of the best RPG's I've played in a while. I mean, there are things that i miss from the original Fallouts, but that list consists mostly of stuff that no developer could get away with anymore, politics being what they are. I feel like Bethesda's kept the spirit of Fallout, which is all I wanted.
Smithgdwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Smithgdwg
Member since 2003 • 1886 Posts

At least they didn't include level scaling or the "Improve your skills by doing".

I seems kind of stupid to jump everywhere you go just to max your jumping skill.

I love getting exp the old fashion way. Completing quests or killing monsters.

Watercube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Watercube
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts
I'm not really enjoying it. I don't know. It does essentially feel like Oblivion when you're walking and talking to people. I didn't like Oblivion at all. Maybe I'm just not a fan of Bethesda. I want to like Fallout 3, I just can't seem to get deep into it.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#13 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
As a long time fallout fan, im very very surprised at fallout3. Its alot better then i expected. Sure its FAR from perfect, but its a nice little surprise i must say!
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I played both Fallout 1 and 2 the first time when they were released and loved them, still do and still consider them some of the greatest computer RPGs ever, along with games like planescape and vampire. I think Betheda have done a very good job of recreating the franchise. In my opinion they've changed a lot of things and made it 'thier' game but still manage to re-capture a lot of the magic of the old games.

It's really rare for CRPGs to manage to create a really open-ended world while still maintaining a lot of depth, interactivity and a sense that the player has a real influence in how the story and the game world evolves. that, more than anything is what i loved in the old games and F3 manages to do this as well as the old games did.

F3 has it's share of bugs, quirky game design choices and elements that 'just didn't quite work'. but to be honest F1 and F2 had just as many issues, bugs and badly designed elements. I'm also sure there's some lore inconsistencies.. to be honest I don't care the least. All major franchise, from Star Wars and Star Trek, to Marvel and DC all have these, a fun world to play in is so much more important to me.

At the end though, I can't think of a CRPG I've enjoyed as much in a long long time.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

A mediocre Fallout game. The dialogue is the worst part of it.

Still, it's way better than Oblivion.

Rotinaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rotinaj32
Member since 2007 • 331 Posts

Fallout 3 is a good game, just started playing it but I'm enjoying it very much. It very much has the feel of a Bethesda game, but its better than Oblivion by a mile so far.

Its no Fallout 2, but I don't know who honestly thought it was going to faithfully emulate the original with Bethesda backing it up. I mean no disrespect to them, but honestly they can't really compete with the pure RPG quality that was Black Isle (rest in peace:cry: ).

I just hope Deus Ex 3 can hold up to the original.... time will tell I guess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 29121994
Member since 2008 • 1166 Posts
i love this game so much, it's just really good in general, i am really enjoying it so far
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

A mediocre Fallout game. The dialogue is the worst part of it.

Still, it's way better than Oblivion.

Baranga

This is true.

Although, I am pretty addicted to the game at the moment. It's quite fun and surprisingly good.

zhivago_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zhivago_x
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts

Better than Oblivion.

Not in the same league as Fallout 1&2.

An OK shooter RPG.

Dialogues and the story are really BAD. Especially the dialogues.

It is a good game but it's not Fallout 3. Bethsoft passed an opportunity to create something that is not part of TES series. Because F3 really feels like Oblivion. Which isn't bad if you like Oblivion. I don't. Still like I said earlier it is an OK shooter.This game is to Fallout what Bioshock is to System Shock series.

I still think they should have created their own IP and make a game a true spiritual successor to the original Fallouts. Just like the Fallout series is a spiritual successor to Wasteland.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts

From what I've read (and it's quite a bit) it sounds like a good game, but it lacks the depth and atmosphere of earlier Fallout games.

I like good games however, so I'll pick it up.

dannyw7982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dannyw7982
Member since 2006 • 261 Posts

I'm thinking of buying this but can someone awnser me a question?

It hasn't got that stupid the world levels with you system oblivion had has it?

That alone killed oblivion for me, when you level up i like to feel im acheieving something and like it when i can see my new skills more effective on enemys that used to kick my ass etc. If it hasn't got that daft system ill buy it this weekend.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

That alone killed oblivion for me, when you level up i like to feel im acheieving something and like it when i can see my new skills more effective on enemys that used to kick my ass etc. If it hasn't got that daft system ill buy it this weekend.

dannyw7982

Yes it does. But because the gameplay is more like a FPS, it doesn't affect the game nearly as bad as Oblivion. Think of it this way.... it's just making all of the enemies around you have HP's and abilities close to your characters. It's still your job to aim and shoot them.

dannyw7982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dannyw7982
Member since 2006 • 261 Posts
[QUOTE="dannyw7982"]

Johnny_Rock

Yes it does. But because the gameplay is more like a FPS, it doesn't affect the game nearly as bad as Oblivion. Think of it this way.... it's just making all of the enemies around you have HP's and abilities close to your characters. It's still your job to aim and shoot them.

:( thing is i was attracted to the rpg element not the fps element.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Adam-117

The way the Brotherhood of Steel are portrayed, hell they even refer to some as paladins; which is a complete 180 on their attitude.

If that wasn't enough the super mutants, who were some of the most toughest enemies in the first game, are piss easy. Level 6 character, weakest 6 damage energy pistol, 22 energy weapon skill (in other words next to nothing). Didn't stop me taking out a group of 4 super mutants I wandered by, I was only using the weapon to conserve ammo with my main guns.

Radiation is also now just a simple poison status change. in the Fallout games radiation was something to be feared, If you had high radiation poisoning; all the anti rad in the world wouldn't save you.

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts

As a long time fallout fan, im very very surprised at fallout3. Its alot better then i expected. Sure its FAR from perfect, but its a nice little surprise i must say!kozzy1234

That's pretty much my take on the game also. I have been having a lot of fun playing it.As long as you don't expect perfection it's great.

sircyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sircyrus
Member since 2003 • 6358 Posts

It's a joke compared with Fallout 1 and 2, but it's much better than Oblivion.hedgehogenstein
That's pretty much my opinion on it too.

The majority of the time, the dialogue comes across as trying to be funny but ends up being lame. A lot of the voice acting fails to deliver as well.

The game space is big, but far too underpopulated. You can run for 5 minutes, and in that time only run into a single bloatfly. It really discourages exploration because most of the time you're just running around in a desert following arrows on your compass. It looks like a post-apocalyptic wasteland, but it feels more like you're the last living being left alive, rather than a struggling human in a changed world.

Enemies lack personality. FO1/2, a lot of the time you knew your enemy. You could talk to them, interact with them in some way. FO3 though, enemies are mindless animals who have a singleminded focus - killing you. This goes for humans and "monsters". You'll never have a raider demand you pay for safe passage, for example. They'll just start attacking as soon as they see you, and wont stop until one of you is dead.

Too much filler. Raiders are generic human enemies with no personality whatsoever. They're filler mobs with the sole purpose of giving you something to shoot. Then there's repeatable filler quests in various areas - collect certain items and keep bringing them back. The world sprawls forward infront of you, but compared to it's overall size, very little of it has anything of note.

The game feels very close to Oblivion, except improved... but overall it still feels like Oblivion with guns. I kept my expectations low and was expecting this, but it's a shame my expectations weren't proved wrong. This is what happens when you transform games into multiplatform and attempt to appeal to every type of gamer. You end up with a mediocre product that everyone can play, but it will only impress relatively new gamers.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts
I love it, caused me to uninstall Stalker for good. Its nice to see a game where vsync actually works and I have a steady 60fps, that and the game is just more fun then stalker.
Precyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Precyse
Member since 2007 • 487 Posts

I like it it's fun and adventurous and it def. has the feel to the old games however it doesn't quite compare to the originals. course like some1 already said even infinity ward would have a hard time creating what they did so wonderfully 11 yrs. ago. don't get me wrong it has some flaws and isn't the perfect game but there aren't many games that'd get a perfect 10

All in all it fells enough like fallout to me def. a must have for $50.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

Better than Oblivion.

Not in the same league as Fallout 1&2.

An OK shooter RPG.

zhivago_x
Agree.
Adam-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Adam-117
Member since 2007 • 238 Posts
[QUOTE="Adam-117"]

AnnoyedDragon

The way the Brotherhood of Steel are portrayed, hell they even refer to some as paladins; which is a complete 180 on their attitude.

If that wasn't enough the super mutants, who were some of the most toughest enemies in the first game, are piss easy. Level 6 character, weakest 6 damage energy pistol, 22 energy weapon skill (in other words next to nothing). Didn't stop me taking out a group of 4 super mutants I wandered by, I was only using the weapon to conserve ammo with my main guns.

Radiation is also now just a simple poison status change. in the Fallout games radiation was something to be feared, If you had high radiation poisoning; all the anti rad in the world wouldn't save you.

Oh I see, I agree with your 2 last points, but weren't some of the Brother Hood of steal in fallout 1 and 2 like paladins? Wasn't the brother hood "split" down the middle, the east and the west, one wanting to only preserve technology(what they were originally meant to do) and the other side "paladins", who decided to protect people?

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts
As a fan of Oblivion, Fallout 1 & Fallout 2, I am having a great time playing Fallout 3.
error11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 error11
Member since 2006 • 7163 Posts
I liked it just up until the end. Oh dear christ that ending sucked...
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jinroh_basic

another thing that surprised me quite unpleasantly is how Bethesda tweaks the SPECIAL system. when i started my 1st character, i put points like i did in the previous Fallouts, only to find out later that the new system is entirely different and my character wasn't going anywhere. there's no reason for them to change it. :evil:

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

I love it.

All the charm, the wit, and atmosphere of the first Fallouts is there.

The environment can, at times, get a little old but hey, thats kind of the point. A dreary wasteland.

Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mediocre_man90

another thing that surprised me quite unpleasantly is how Bethesda tweaks the SPECIAL system. when i started my 1st character, i put points like i did in the previous Fallouts, only to find out later that the new system is entirely different and my character wasn't going anywhere. there's no reason for them to change it. :evil:

Jinroh_basic

I personally think the new S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system is alot more balanced. The skills are alot more balanced, too. I can only remember using lockpicking and Science maybe two or three times apiece in the original two games, but now there's actually a reason to put ranks in those skills.

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

It's a joke compared with Fallout 1 and 2, but it's much better than Oblivion.hedgehogenstein

Yeah i would prefer to play fallout 1,2 than fallout 3.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jinroh_basic

first of all, i don't think the old SPECIAL was in anyway imbalanced. on top of that, it makes perfect sense how Black Isle connects certain skills to certain attributes -- shooting skill is overall governed by perception ( which is the numero uno in the old Fallouts ), but your strength factors in too if you are using bigger weapons. brilliant. on the other hand, Bethesda's SPECIAL scatters weapon skills across the board without any logic. how would having high endurance make you a good big guns shooter? Perception govens only energy weapons, why? it doesn't make sense at all.

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts
I would also prefer to play oblivion than this. This engine that bethesda is using works much better with swords and shields in my opinion. I still think Fo3 is a fun and solid game, it's just I would prefer to play both fallouts or oblivion or Morrowind cause their simply better games in my opinion.
Adrianstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Adrianstalker
Member since 2008 • 1467 Posts

[QUOTE="hedgehogenstein"]

Enemies lack personality. FO1/2, a lot of the time you knew your enemy. You could talk to them, interact with them in some way. FO3 though, enemies are mindless animals who have a singleminded focus - killing you..

sircyrus

You could even sleep with their girlfriends8)

Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mediocre_man90

first of all, i don't think the old SPECIAL was in anyway imbalanced. on top of that, it makes perfect sense how Black Isle connects certain skills to certain attributes -- shooting skill is overall governed by perception ( which is the numero uno in the old Fallouts ), but your strength factors in too if you are using bigger weapons. brilliant. on the other hand, Bethesda's SPECIAL scatters weapon skills across the board without any logic. how would having high endurance make you a good big guns shooter? Perception govens only energy weapons, why? it doesn't make sense at all.

Jinroh_basic

I always saw Intelligence as the most important attribute. There's alot of stuff you cannot do without at least 9 points in Int. Endurance makes sense for big guns, you've got to be able to carry around that minigun/missile launcher/what have you for long periods of time, why wouldn't you need endurance. I agree that strength should factor in as well, but Endurance makes perfect sense to me. I mean, it's not perfect, but it works.