fallout 3 for pc with a controller?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CM3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CM3000
Member since 2003 • 1105 Posts

I am thinking of ordering fallout 3 along with an xbox 360 controller for my pc, that way I can use the hdmi output and play it on my TV with the controller, get the best of pc and console worlds.

anybody think this would work ok?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
Why would you play with a controller in the first place? If you want countolers you should have just got a 360 or PS3
unrealplaya55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 unrealplaya55
Member since 2007 • 1278 Posts

Damn pc **** always whining about how controllers are for consoles and consoles only.

Anyways yes I think it would be great. Some of the stuff may be hard to do with the lack of buttons but you can find a way around it.Just make sure you get a 360 controller since right out of the box it works with almost all games.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

It's a Games for Windows title, there's a 360 version, etc. I'd be very surprised if it didn't have gamepad support.

You should be good to go CM.

CM3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CM3000
I have a ps3, but I want to be able to have mods for it, plus better graphics only a pc can deliver. besides, I like to sit at the comptuer sometimes, and sometimes I like to sit on the couch. I like choices :)
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
Get a wireless keyboard and mouse. I think you'll find that trying to make the PC version work on a 360 controller will have you running out of buttons.
thegfl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thegfl
Member since 2008 • 264 Posts
If you feel more comfortable, of course.
nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts

If you feel more comfortable, of course.thegfl

LIES, the whole idea of PC gaming is the ability to use a MOUSE, then comes mods and graphics

zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts

[QUOTE="thegfl"]If you feel more comfortable, of course.nevereathim

LIES, the whole idea of PC gaming is the ability to use a MOUSE, then comes mods and graphics

THAT'S the whole idea?! Holy crap was I off base. Thanks for clearing that up!

Seriously, I agree to an extent. Controllers were made as a compromise so you could have a simple controller for your living room. I'm not sure I'd go through the hassle of adapting a controller to my PC so I can play in my living room, when I could have just bought the 360/PS3 version of a game. I would either play it on a console, or get a wireless mouse/keyboard.

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
What most people don't realize is that console games have aim assistance in almost every single (I believe R6:Vegas allowed you to switch it off if you wanted) of the FPS. The 360 controller just is not accurate or fast enough to play fast paced games that need pixel perfect accuracy. That said.... I'm curious if using a 360 in "Games for Windows" games automatically puts in t he aim help? Overall even if it did, NOTHING is precise as the mouse... Just got done playing FC2 for awhile and there are tons of situations I couldn't even imagine trying to play through with a controller.
DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
It will also be awkward navigating rpg-style menus with a controller on the PC, no?
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Why would you play with a controller in the first place? If you want countolers you should have just got a 360 or PS3JangoWuzHere

I agree, your paying 50 for the game and the 60 for a controller? Thats 110...just spend 60 and get it for the 360 or PS3 like I am.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

I personally will never, ever, tell someone that wants to game on the PC and happens to prefer a gamepad to go play on a console.

Something to consider guys -- at least he's gaming on the PC, that's step in the right direction, right? For gamers that prefer consoles, make note that's a subjective opinion right there of course.

However, as a common aspect of PC gaming, many of us understand the advantages of, and prefer, gaming with keyboard and mouse.

Step 1: He's gaming on a PC. Success!
Step 2: Maybe he could be encouraged to use a kb+m by explaining the advantages and why it's a preference for ourselves. Perhaps if enough time was spent becoming accustomed with kb+m, he might prefer it as well.

Then again, maybe adequate time has been spent with keyboard and mouse as well as gamepad, and gamepad is simply his preference, or the person simply has no interest in giving kb+m a fair effort. In that case, no manner of "convincing" will ever be effective, everyone is entitled to their own preference.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I love how these threads instantly degenerate because people come in arguing why the individual SHOULDN'T use a controller. I personally use a controller for my games now since my wrist has been getting seriously enflamed when using a mouse lately. Probably a combination of too much PC gaming and also using computers at work :)

As someone stated earlier, Fallout 3 is on the 360 as well so you should actually have native support with a predetermined layout. BUT I haven't had this confirmed. It would be great if it nas native support including rumble, because my PC would be able to push nicer graphics than the 360 version.

Alternatively, if support isn't there, you can use XPadder which works really well, and you can map the buttons to anything. If you ever find yourself running out of buttons (which I don't expect to happen with FALLOUT) you can always use a button as a modifier for other buttons, like use one of the shoulder buttons as alt or shift for example. And any time you need to navigate menus with a mouse, you can have a button that toggles mouse look on and off and uses the analog stick for your pointer control. Yeah, it's slower, but it works, and it's much more comfortable than a keyboard and mouse :)

By the way, you could also use your PS3 controller with XPadder and just forget the 360 controller altogether.

Fallout 3 SHOULD have native controller support with an easy-to-use layout, but if it doesn't, there are freeware alternatives that will provide you with a simple alternative. And I plan to do the same thing as you :) I will be routing my computer stuff to my TV so I can sit in my bed with a controller and keep all the weight off my wrists.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts

Why would you play with a controller in the first place? If you want countolers you should have just got a 360 or PS3JangoWuzHere

thats the reason wel one of the reasons i went back to pc gaming for K&M!!!

thegfl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thegfl
Member since 2008 • 264 Posts

[QUOTE="thegfl"]If you feel more comfortable, of course.nevereathim

Nope, PC gaming is all about choice, play however you want.

CM3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CM3000
thanks guys, among the people who are just lecturing me on what a pc is used for, there have been some intelligent answers who are helping me guide my decision. thank you very much to those who gave thoughful answers :)
A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
One of the great points of PC gaming is use what you like...joysticks, game pads, keyboard,mouse etc. I prefer Keyboard and mouse but use what you like! :D
budgreenuuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 budgreenuuu
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Well I can't use my fingers real well after being in a car accident and most of the people that make and play these games don't think about that. I can't use a conventional mouse very well at all. So I have to use both joysticks with the palm of my left hand, using the left stick to move and turn and the right stick to strafe and look up and down. I have to use any of the buttons with my left thumb. That makes it difficult to unrealistic for me to use the trigger buttons in a fast action setting. Since almost EVERY developer assigns the R1, R2, L1, L2 as the fire, first person view or grenade buttons in every single configuration in X-BOX or PS3 games, being able to use a controller with joysticks like a ps3 controller and being able to set the buttons in a configuration so i can use them quickly and effectively is a HUGE help; making alot of games playable to me that i wouldn't even be able to play at all otherwise. Combining that with a keyboard can be a huge help for people like me too. Im generally at a disadvantage in most newer games because of the enormous number of buttons and combinations but if i have a controller and can program it ill give anyone a run. Just remember us cripples like gaming too ;-)

Now before this happened to me I never thought about trying to play a game without having the full use of my fingers so i don't expect most developers will anytime soon either but until these developers realize that not everyone can use right 1 and 2 to shoot or make a controller where you can program a button besides the trigger buttons, making PC games compatable with controllers is greatly appreciated by alot of people. Peace Out

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

I'm playing Fallout 3 on my 67" HDTV using my trusty old keyboard and my Logitech G7 mouse and...

LOVIN' EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!!!

chrisromeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chrisromeo
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
i have fallout 3 for ps3 and the pc.......got for ps3 first then learned microsoft has game expansion exclusivness. so I got it for the pc. would love to use a ps3 (style) controler the logitech dual action.......but only issue is pc uses mouse to control vats anyone know if theres any mods for that?
dinjo_jo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#22 dinjo_jo
Member since 2008 • 691 Posts
Controller usually helps in games which are not comfortable with keyboard and mouse Example - Assassins Creed - The game is worth looks just like consoles if you have a 360 controller. DMC 4 - Impossible to play with Keyboard and mouse. Fifa 2009 - Best Simulation with controller Action , Adventure and Sports games are best enjoyed with controller. Shooters or FPS must be played with kb + mouse.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#23 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

One of my fav parts about pc gaming is the huge list of ways your can control. Tons of older controllers, newer ones and of course KEYBOARD AND MOUSE!

Pc gaming >>!

I use a controller for Fifa 09, NBA2k9, Mirrors Edge and tahts about it. But when my friend comes over he plays Crysis and Fallout3 on my pc with a controller (he just preffers it for some games).But almost every FPS and RTS for me gets played with K+M of course.

rb2610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 rb2610
Member since 2007 • 3325 Posts
About time someone actually posted something useful to answer the OP's question rather than arguing about control v kb/m :roll: Personally I have been using the 360 control pad for playing Fallout 3, simply because I FELT LIKE IT. You aren't doing CoD4 style play where you're aim is vital, you are playing an action RPG, a controller is sufficient for the shooting involved, you even have VATS to reduce the amount of '1337 hardcore aiming skillz' needed. Anyway, to the use of the controller itself, yes it is brilliant, the controls are already set up, there is no lack of buttons, AFAIK the rumble works (i rarely notice it so i cant remember) Menus can be navigated with ease (b to open pip-boy, Lt+Rt to switch tabs etc.) you obsessive m&kb fans need to remember that this game is multiplatform, so of course there will be enough frigging buttons.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts
I play it on my TV, but why in the heck would you want to play an FPS with a controller??? Whatever makes you happy I guess. :shock:
quocthai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 quocthai
Member since 2005 • 1995 Posts
I accidentally left my 360 controller plugged in when fired up FO3 last week and the control is surprisingly good. It fits really well with FO3 and somewhat even better than M&K combat is no big deal since i always use vats
Hellboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#27 Hellboard
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
Or maybe lay down to the bed and enjoy the game if you have a big monitor, from 22" and higher
Avatar image for SedateIncDotCom
SedateIncDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SedateIncDotCom
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Have exact same need. Would love a premade profile for Logitech dual action controller.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

I use an XBox controller for Fallout 3 and GTA IV on pc...these games seem to lend themselves to controllers more so than a mouse and keyboard. I also finished Rise of the Argonauts using an XBox controller. A lot of current games automatically recognize alternate controllers. If you want to use a controller on the pc, I say go for it.

ereon6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ereon6
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
here this is what I found http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=4 It basically turns your logitech dual controller and gives it all the perks and preferences of a 360 controller. It premaps the buttons the way they would be on the xbox (cause it lets the game think it's an xbox controller) The only thing I changed though was switch the bumper and trigger on both sides. It's easier to hit the top button then the bottom one for me, and it allows smoother gameplay in my opinion (though it does have a tiny learning curve). Mapping the buttons is also pretty simple, just open up the configuration file and switch the numbers as you see fit. I hope this helps.
knight0151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 knight0151
Member since 2008 • 1205 Posts

My god....I hate going in these threads.

I'm a PC only gamer (besides psp)

But the main thing I hate about the PC gaming community are the PC elitists, with their "I am better than thou" attitude.

Dark_prince123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dark_prince123
Member since 2008 • 1149 Posts
I see lots of bumping these days STOP IT this topic was before a year !!!!!!!!!!
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

The Xbox controller for pc works fine with fallout 3 :) I got it myself and played fallout using it.. had no problems.

EDIT: As Dark_prince pointed out this is old, did not see that :P How the hell do people manage to bump these threads? what are they doing floating about 1 year old topics..

sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
No one buys a PC because of teh mouse and keyboard, they buy it for the exclusive and because all the games are better on PC.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Because controllers are damn usefull, and the pc version of the game has more content ya morontwodee3

ironic, coming from a necro poster

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
Because controllers are damn usefull, and the pc version of the game has more content ya morontwodee3
Read the dates, this thread is 5 years old....
blurguy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blurguy6
Member since 2010 • 699 Posts
Yes it works perfectly fine I did the same thing with my setup
Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#41 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
Fallout 3 supports the Xbox 360 controller, I have tried it myself and it works.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

Fallout 3 natively supports Xbox 360 controllers so yes you should be fine

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#43 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
That's likely to look awesome on a big TV. Let us know how it plays/feels.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I can confirm it definitely has native 360 controller support. I use my 360 controller with it often. Just plug it in, and it gives you the 360 version control scheme by default. No issues.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

I am thinking of ordering fallout 3 along with an xbox 360 controller for my pc, that way I can use the hdmi output and play it on my TV with the controller, get the best of pc and console worlds.

anybody think this would work ok?

CM3000
GFWL games are required to have controller support.