Fallout 3 distress.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

exsultate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 exsultate
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
This is another Fallout 3 crashing/freezing thread, because have read ever single damn "fix" on the internet for the crashing, but none work for me. I have tried everything. Here's my problem: When I first bought Fallout 3, I rarely played it. Then, I recently started playing it very, very much. For a few days it was fine, no crashes at all, until one day, in the middle of playing, it crashed. My screen faded to black, and there was no way to do anything to get out. So, I had to manually shut off my computer. The crashes used to be far apart, but now, I can't play more than 5 minutes without it crashing. I have to shut down my computer every time. Also, when I shut my computer off and start it back up again, halfway through startup the screen goes black and the computer shuts down, so I have to start it and then it just starts where it left off. That only happens when Fallout 3 crashes, never any other time. I have no other problems with my computer except for Fallout 3. I am so desperate to fix this. I can't even play anymore. I have tried: Installing the latest patch Disabling Windows LIVE Downloading K-Lite Codec Pack, and then adding fallout3.exe to the "don't use in" box in the ffdshow audio and video decoders that come with that Putting it in windowed mode Lowering all of the display quality settings Switching Fallout 3 compatibility to Windows 2000 Having my refresh rate at 60, running the game in windowed mode, and turning off AA mode Setting the computers paging file to "None" Here are two fixes that I have not done because I couldn't: I downloaded "Maximized Window" to give that fix a shot, but the directions say things about it that aren't there? So I couldn't do that. I went to disable AGP Texture Acceleration in DirectX Diagnostic Tool, but it just says AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled and there is no button to change it at all (not grayed out, it's just not there.) I bought Fallout 3 GOTY on Steam. Here's some stuff about my computer. I have an HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC, Windows Vista 64-bit, 6 gigs RAM, and Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 Thank for for any help you can provide. I am desperate.
Blacklight2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 Blacklight2
Member since 2007 • 1212 Posts
From that list it doesn't seem like you tried to reinstall it.
exsultate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 exsultate
From that list it doesn't seem like you tried to reinstall it.Blacklight2
Yeah, I haven't yet. I kind of want to try everything I can before I have to wait 6 hours to reinstall it if it won't even help and the fix if something else.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Tried updating your graphics drivers?

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts
[QUOTE="Blacklight2"]From that list it doesn't seem like you tried to reinstall it.exsultate
Yeah, I haven't yet. I kind of want to try everything I can before I have to wait 6 hours to reinstall it if it won't even help and the fix if something else.

It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to reinstall the game,.and patching it is fast as well.
exsultate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 exsultate

Tried updating your graphics drivers?

broken_bass_bin
Everything is up to date.
exsultate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 exsultate
[QUOTE="exsultate"][QUOTE="Blacklight2"]From that list it doesn't seem like you tried to reinstall it.Animatronic64

It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to reinstall the game,.and patching it is fast as well.

Oh, really? I thought it would take 6 hours because that's how long it took to install it when I bought it. Thanks, I'm gonna try it.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts
[QUOTE="exsultate"][QUOTE="Animatronic64"][QUOTE="exsultate"] Yeah, I haven't yet. I kind of want to try everything I can before I have to wait 6 hours to reinstall it if it won't even help and the fix if something else.

Oh, really? I thought it would take 6 hours because that's how long it took to install it when I bought it. Thanks, I'm gonna try it.

Oh, I just re-read your post. You got it on Steam, yeah, that might take like six hours depending on your connection.
exsultate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 exsultate
[QUOTE="Animatronic64"][QUOTE="exsultate"][QUOTE="Animatronic64"] It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to reinstall the game,.and patching it is fast as well.

Oh, I just re-read your post. You got it on Steam, yeah, that might take like six hours depending on your connection.

Oh. That sucks.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
I doubt reinstalling is going to solve anything... I'd have to guess that your main problem is that you are trying to play this video card/Processor intensive, game on a Notebook. The internal video chip is likely too weak for that game.
exsultate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 exsultate
I reinstalled and it's still crashing. Also, I play lots of other games on here without any issues. It's a great computer and it's pretty new.
menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

I reinstalled and it's still crashing. Also, I play lots of other games on here without any issues. It's a great computer and it's pretty new. exsultate

The path that allows the game to use more than 2GB of memory really helped for me.

exsultate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 exsultate

[QUOTE="exsultate"]I reinstalled and it's still crashing. Also, I play lots of other games on here without any issues. It's a great computer and it's pretty new. menes777

The path that allows the game to use more than 2GB of memory really helped for me.

How do you do that?
khanabyss25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 khanabyss25
Member since 2004 • 279 Posts

Have you tryed an older video card driver ?

also, try disabling your audio completely in your control panel and see if it sti ll crash without sound and if it doesnt then just get a different audio driver

exsultate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 exsultate

Have you tryed an older video card driver ?

also, try disabling your audio completely in your control panel and see if it sti ll crash without sound and if it doesnt then just get a different audio driver

khanabyss25
I'll try that. Nice username, btw. ;)
menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 menes777

Here is one way

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6510

and another

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12031 (This is what I used)

Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#17 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts

Try to set the water to low

exsultate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 exsultate
Alright, I did that thing that lets it use more than 2 gigs of RAM. Still crashing.
exsultate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 exsultate
I am getting EXTREMELY sick of my game crashing. I want this fixed. I am so frustrated. I can't stand this.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

Have you minimized or alt tabbed at any point before the crash?

exsultate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 exsultate
No.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

Fallout 3 crashes on me after a while too....but why are you running windows 2000 mode?

Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
What is your graphics card?
menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 menes777

Have you tried playing it in full screen mode to see if that eliminates the crashes? I know it sucks not being able to play a game the way you want but it might help narrow down the problem. Also do you use any mods? I don't see any mentioned in the original post.

Torino818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Torino818
Member since 2008 • 150 Posts

I've also been having problems with fallout 3. It tends to randomly crash when i am moving from area to area outdoors without warning. I've tried every trick i know (like reinstalling, patching, checking codecs, compatibility mode, even using a game booster that shuts down all but essintial systems on my computer and the game) and nothing seems to work. I have a brand new Fujistu laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics card, 4 Intel Core i5 CPU, and i believe 4 gigs of ram. Does anyone have any suggestions?