Eurogamer Fallout 3 hands-on: very negative.

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

You can, however, expect Bethesda to approach it with polish, sophistication and a unique sense of humour - and this is exactly where we found our half-hour hands-on demo lacking.

Visually, Fallout 3 is unremittingly bleak. So it should be, although you have to wonder if there will be enough variation in this vast wasteland to sustain interest. But let's give Bethesda's artists the benefit of the doubt on that count, because unfortunately the game has much more tangible shortcomings to take them to task on: the flat, sterile lighting, the excessive contrast, the feeble effects (excepting the mini-nuke explosions of wrecked cars' power units) and, worst by far, the hilariously, embarrassingly wooden animation.

This was a weakness of Oblivion's, too, but it's even more jarring in Fallout 3. The game presents itself in the first-person perspective, but you can pull the camera out to quite a distant third-person viewpoint and move it in full 3D. This means you can examine your character's Gerry Anderson jerking and flailing from any angle; we'd recommend you don't. Unfortunately, you can't help but observe the erratic path-finding, motionless trances and limp movements of the few enemies you encounter this early in the game. You simply can't invoke the visual style of an action game and get away with this stuff.

Melee weapons only allow you to select whole enemies, but they're still more likely to trigger big finishing moves if you use VATS. *wtf?*

It's a clever system with well-implemented controls, even if its adolescent focus on creative brutality doesn't quite sit right with the game's overall tone. The problem with VATS, however, is the fact you will be compelled to use it all the time, because the real-time combat is so terrible. As Kieron noted, what worked okay in Oblivion's melee combat is not necessarily going to wash when you have a gun in your hand, and the lack of precision, sense of connection or tactile feedback is startling. (It's worth noting here that we tested the Xbox 360 version of the game, and some of these criticisms might not apply if you play on PC with a mouse.)

Lady Killer gives you extra damage against female enemies, and "unique dialogue options" when talking to female NPCs. Sorry, Bethesda, that's not satirical, it's just crass and misogynistic.

But beyond that, there are simple questions of quality that it's impossible to avoid: characterless art, cold visuals, wonky animation, weak real-time combat, off-kilter writing. As it stands, Fallout 3 just doesn't feel right, and it will leave many players shivering for warmth in its nuclear winter.

So, 3-4 months until launch, and the game is a disaster. Yay.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=201105

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#2 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
wow, rarely are previews that scathing. That doesn't bode well. But I think the key here is that fallout is a very big, much loved franchise, there is little room for bethesda here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

Lets face it Fallout 3 was destined to be the spiritual successor to Oblivion instead of what it should have been, the successor to the Fallout series.

Personally i don't look forward to this at all.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19604 Posts

I'm not surprised.

Hopefully, reviewers will notice these negative points and rate the game a bit more harshly - rather than just slapping on a ridiculously high and undeserved score (ie. Oblivion).

Drizzt13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Drizzt13
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
Well I guess it was expected.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
That's what I expected.
Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zam
Member since 2002 • 2048 Posts
All I have to say is F U Bethesda.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Hopefully reviews go past 8 hours of gameplay before they review this game, which it seems clear most reviewers did not in Oblivion because I havn't come across really any that talked about its MAJOR rpg issues.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts
If you take the European previews as a whole (especially the French, Polish and Dutch), they been extremely negative. I find the contrast between the Euro previews and American previews quite strange; one set notices an abundance of flaws, the other cannot stop commenting on nuclear explosions. Much like Oblivion though, all the flaws will be ignored and Fallout 3 will be given Game of the Forever awards by everyone, only for them to point out the flaws a few months later.
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chesterocks7
Member since 2005 • 1572 Posts

That review was ridiculously harsh for a game that is still months from being released. I'm sorry, but judging a game based on previews and demos is very unfair, and is the main reason so many games are over-hyped.

I personally have never played the other Fallout games, but I think this one looks great. I loved Oblivion despite it's flaws, and I think Bethesda is a great developer.

astor47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 astor47
Member since 2005 • 849 Posts
That was one honest preview.
WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts

That review was ridiculously harsh for a game that is still months from being released. I'm sorry, but judging a game based on previews and demos is very unfair, and is the main reason so many games are over-hyped.

I personally have never played the other Fallout games, but I think this one looks great. I loved Oblivion despite it's flaws, and I think Bethesda is a great developer.

chesterocks7

Concur.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59d151f079814

chesterocks7

They never said the game sucked.. They said the PREVIEW/Demo they saw sucked.. The only people that are doing the overhyping are the people who some how think the demo = game.

Drizzt13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Drizzt13
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts

chesterocks7

No its not. Especially if the game is only 3-4 months from being released.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chesterocks7
[QUOTE="chesterocks7"]

Drizzt13

No its not. Especially if the game is only 3-4 months from being released.

An incredible amount of polishing goes into games in the few months before they are released. And notice that the review didn't point out anything positive they found in the game. I have a feeling they were very biased in it, because I highly doubt that a developer like Bethesda would make a game with absolutely nothing good about it. Besides the fact that other companies reviews have pointed out many good things they've found in the previews and demos.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

chesterocks7

then don't have them. wait, that's the point of them.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Don't know why but I hope this game fails badly :P
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chesterocks7
[QUOTE="chesterocks7"]

Hewkii

then don't have them. wait, that's the point of them.

The point of them is not to let people review the game before it's released, it's to give them an idea of what the game's going to be like and to advertise it. That article the TC posted sounded more like a bad post-release review than a preview.

DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts

Don't know why but I hope this game fails badly :PLonelynight

So they can make a real sequel to the game after they realize they let everyone down?

EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts

Not really surprising. All of the demos we got to see just looked bad. It makes me upset to see most press treating the game as the next elder scrolls game. They say it's fallout but they mention oblivion more than fallout and how it improves over oblivion. Where does it improve over fallout aside from the graphics? Just another reason I never read previews or reviews anymore. Too much sucking up and free rides all around.

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
So one preview and some of you are ready to write the game off? Bunch of sheep the lot of ya.
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chesterocks7

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]Don't know why but I hope this game fails badly :PDarKre

So they can make a real sequel to the game after they realize they let everyone down?

Highly unlikely. Most developers won't waste a bunch of money just to kiss the asses of a bunch of whining fanboys.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lonelynight

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]Don't know why but I hope this game fails badly :PDarKre

Thats probably why.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lonelynight
[QUOTE="DarKre"]

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]Don't know why but I hope this game fails badly :Pchesterocks7

Highly unlikely. Most developers won't waste a bunch of money just to kiss the asses of a bunch of whining fanboys.

You haven't even played the past fallout games, and I can hardly be considered as a fallout fanboy, I only just started playing Fallout 2 recently.

Or they can do what Blizzard does, while attacting alot of new fans, they still satisfy most of their fans.

purple_MAN1832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 purple_MAN1832
Member since 2004 • 2125 Posts
That was the 360 hands on so there could some better examples on the pc...but probably not. This saddens me to see the game flushed down the toilet of appeal to the gamers who cant sit still for 3 seconds without gore flooding the screen in a desolate landscape.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10600 Posts
thats the first hands on preview ive read of the game and im shocked at how critical they were, nothing positive in there at all really. and eurogamer are usually fairly relaible too so it doesnt bode well..
johan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 johan1986
Member since 2003 • 4764 Posts
Well it cant be all bad
Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zam
Member since 2002 • 2048 Posts

So one preview and some of you are ready to write the game off? Bunch of sheep the lot of ya.Sins-of-Mosin

No, we all saw the demonstration at E3. This preview just confirms all the shortcomings we suspected

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59d151f079814

So one preview and some of you are ready to write the game off? Bunch of sheep the lot of ya.Sins-of-Mosin

You mean like taking reviews word on Oblivion in just about every AAA game out there that its the best of all time :roll:

Its not just that, many rpg fans were basically like wtf? When it came to Oblivion.. And no just about every review, I am hearing beth throw around the name OBLIVION more then Fallout.. They have even said this is the spirtual successor to Oblivion.. So in my mind this is still Oblivion with guns. ANd the previews have no dispointed on that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#30 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
i knew it. the E3 footage looked like a hit or miss, anyways and I don't expect it to improve too much in the time they have left
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

That review was ridiculously harsh for a game that is still months from being released. I'm sorry, but judging a game based on previews and demos is very unfair, and is the main reason so many games are over-hyped. chesterocks7

And yet every reviewer does this - they review games before release, and preview them months before that, to give their opinion on the state of the game. Each one picks up on different things, just as each has their own tastes and preferences. When a game gets universal praise its usually because it is doing a lot of things right, that appeals to a lot of people.

The only reason these reviews are sticking out and attracting so much attention is because previews at this stage are usually gushing with praise, and picking up on minor issues which the devs will have time to polish out. But the comments here are not minor issues to be polished out, but fairly fundamental issues. This close to release you can't redesign a combat system if lots of reviews are negative about it.

I personally have never played the other Fallout games, but I think this one looks great. I loved Oblivion despite it's flaws, and I think Bethesda is a great developer. chesterocks7

I think not having played the previous Fallout games is a mixed blessing for you. On the upside you can play Fallout 3 without any preconceived ideas about what a Fallout game is, and if you enjoyed Oblivion, then you can enjoy this as an Oblivion sequel in a different setting.

On the downside you've missed out on playing some of the best PC games of all time.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hewkii

The point of them is not to let people review the game before it's released, it's to give them an idea of what the game's going to be like and to advertise it. That article the TC posted sounded more like a bad post-release review than a preview.

chesterocks7

why should they be allowed to tell people what the game is going to be like if it isn't an accurate representation of the final product?

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

So just because Eurogamer didn't like it it's officially a bad game?

They and anyone else can say what they like, I'll wait till the full game comes out.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chesterocks7
[QUOTE="chesterocks7"][QUOTE="DarKre"]

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]Don't know why but I hope this game fails badly :PLonelynight

You haven't even played the past fallout games, and I can hardly be considered as a fallout fanboy, I only just started playing Fallout 2 recently.

Or they can do what Blizzard does, while attacting alot of new fans, they still satisfy most of their fans.

No I haven't, but I think it's unfair that so many people are calling this game a failure before it's even come out, especially when it's being made by a company as good as bethesda. Most people are just crying doom about it because it's not being made by the same developer, and that's enough to call someone a fanboy.

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts

Alot of people say fallouts 1/2 combat system is awfull and I agree with them. It is one of the worst turn based combat systems I've ever seen. I only put a few hours in before I couldn't stick it any longer.

Why is this one so different?

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chesterocks7
[QUOTE="chesterocks7"]

Hewkii

why should they be allowed to tell people what the game is going to be like if it isn't an accurate representation of the final product?

Who said it's not an accurate representation of the final product? The fact is, in the short previews/demos we get pre-release, there is a whole lot more to the game than you get to see. Sure you might get to see the basics of gameplay and whatnot, but there is quite often more to a game than the basic gameplay mechanics. I can't compare to the older Fallout games because, like I said, I haven't played them. But looking at this game objectively I think it has a lot of potential and could be a great game in it's own right.

astor47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 astor47
Member since 2005 • 849 Posts

Alot of people say fallouts 1/2 combat system is awfull and I agree with them. It is one of the worst turn based combat systems I've ever seen. I only put a few hours in before I couldn't stick it any longer.

Why is this one so different?

death1505921

I think it has the best combat I've seen in a RPG...

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I really like how Bethesda couldn't make believable animations if their lives depended on it. Why can't they just hire more/better animators?
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hewkii

Who said it's not an accurate representation of the final product?

chesterocks7

you did.

I'm sorry, but judging a game based on previews and demos is very unfair, and is the main reason so many games are over-hyped.

...and it doesn't just refer to bashing games, as your quote shows.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chesterocks7

I said a lot of polishing can go into games in the last few months, I never said that the previews aren't accurate depictions of the final products.

And of course it doesn't just apply to bashing games, but this article certainly isn't praising the game. I always think you should give the game the benefit of doubt until you've actually played it yourself. It's one thing to say you think the game looks good or bad, but to proclaim it a success or failure before it comes out is too extreme.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10600 Posts

I really like how Bethesda couldn't make believable animations if their lives depended on it. Why can't they just hire more/better animators?GodLovesDead

it really is amazing isnt it, the 3rd person perspective in oblivion, particularly when jumping, was laughable :lol:

Lilgunney612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 Lilgunney612
Member since 2005 • 1878 Posts
OHNOES! a 30 minute hands on talking about nothing but the technical aspects! we are doomed!
maden2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 maden2004
Member since 2004 • 688 Posts
Its all the fault of the consoles. They tried to simply things and yet add some complexity causing the whole game to unbalance. Seriously console gaming is runining alot of things. For instance i had lan with my friends for the first time we played cod 4. My friends are console gamers so they brought there 360 controlles over to play. The 360 controller didnt have all the buttons it needed to play cod 4 on the pc. Even thats a game that wasnt intended to push pc gaming in gameplay or graphics. I just think developers really need to take adavantage of the controls on the pc, the auidence , the hardware and make a game truly that gives people shivers down there spine. Crysis did the the graphics but it had a bloody jungle as its enviroment which isnt compleling the game is just too green. Fallout 3 might be bigger diaster on pc then xbox. The development team doesnt care about the 100 pc gamers when 50 of them are going to pirate and 25 arent going to get the game because they are smart enough realize its utter **** for the pc and 25% will buy the game. But the avg console buy will just buy the game because of some hype it had and making bethstada hapy.
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 chesterocks7

I really like how Bethesda couldn't make believable animations if their lives depended on it. Why can't they just hire more/better animators?GodLovesDead

Are you serious? The speaking animations in Oblivion are some of the best I've seen in any game.

Avatar image for headshot_reaper
headshot_reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 headshot_reaper
Member since 2005 • 185 Posts

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]I really like how Bethesda couldn't make believable animations if their lives depended on it. Why can't they just hire more/better animators?chesterocks7

Are you serious? The speaking animations in Oblivion are some of the best I've seen in any game.

1. Speaking is not an animation,it's a completely different part of the game,it uses simulators for syllables etc,

2.I played quite abit of oblivion,and if you played in 3rd person you literally wished you could gouge your eyes out,untiil oblivions devs can meet devil may cry ninja gaiden mass effect or even the ok animations of call of duty 4 they dont get any respect from me.Oblivion has the most horrible animations ever.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
Yay! Yet another crappy game. Oh well.
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 chesterocks7
[QUOTE="chesterocks7"]

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]I really like how Bethesda couldn't make believable animations if their lives depended on it. Why can't they just hire more/better animators?headshot_reaper

1. Speaking is not an animation,it's a completely different part of the game,it uses simulators for syllables etc,

2.I played quite abit of oblivion,and if you played in 3rd person you literally wished you could gouge your eyes out,untiil oblivions devs can meet devil may cry ninja gaiden mass effect or even the ok animations of call of duty 4 they dont get any respect from me.Oblivion has the most horrible animations ever.

1. Speaking is an animation, making the mouth move and match the words being spoken is something that even games coming out right now still can't get right.

2. Not sure why you would play in the 3rd person, TES games have always been primarily intended to be in first person. And if you think that Oblivion has the most horrible animations ever you need expand your game library to more than 2 games.

Avatar image for headshot_reaper
headshot_reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 headshot_reaper
Member since 2005 • 185 Posts
Well if i include games from 2000 then maybe there are worse :D and my point was that movement animation and speaking animation are very different areas,and too compare the two is wrong.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Lady Killer gives you extra damage against female enemies, and "unique dialogue options" when talking to female NPCs.Baranga

:|

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 chesterocks7

Well if i include games from 2000 then maybe there are worse :D and my point was that movement animation and speaking animation are very different areas,and too compare the two is wrong.headshot_reaper

That's what I had in mind when I said there are worse. Compared to the games that came out at the same time, it definitely did not have bad animations. I will admit that some of the animations in the game weren't great, but overall they weren't that bad.

And while the speaking animations are a different area from the movement animations, I was replying to the comment that Bethesda has horrible animations in general. There are better but there are definitely worse.