EA's pricing compared to uk stores, is unforgivable!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Checkng on origin to get sim city and they have 2 prices one's 44.99 and the other is 64.99

yet i can go down to the local asda/tesco and there selling it for 32.60 and on the internet on game.co.uk there selling it for 34.99/39.99

seriously not understanding how you can go straight to the source of the game company and it's more expensive than stores who buy off them. 

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
That's EA for you. Seems like an overall bad decision, you lose more customers that way. Hell, you could get games of GreenManGaming for cheaper than that, and they still activate on origin (unfortunately).
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

One of the reasons why I buy outside Origin besides the BF3 Platinum.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
New to digital distribution? retail is always cheaper for newly released games.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Origin is simply the worst digital distribution platform ever conceived by a corporation.
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bezza2011

But surely buying sirectly from EA'S Origin where i don't need a disc at all, would be cheaper than going down to my local store who has to buy it off them anyway in some way, and yet there selling it cheaper than the creators of the game lol, it doesn't even make sense, it's like it's cheaper to go to the middle man than it is to go to the source to buy the game lol.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Welcome to EA.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust

But surely buying sirectly from EA'S Origin where i don't need a disc at all, would be cheaper than going down to my local store who has to buy it off them anyway in some way, and yet there selling it cheaper than the creators of the game lol, it doesn't even make sense, it's like it's cheaper to go to the middle man than it is to go to the source to buy the game lol.

bezza2011

That's not the case for Origin, Steam, GMG (they do however have nice pre-order offers almost all the time), GG, GF, Amazon, etc, people are being haters here just for the sake of it, but despite their impression of ignorance, they know that any digital store has insane prices for newly released games unlike what you will find by just searching around (online) for deals on retail games.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
New to digital distribution? retail is always cheaper for newly released games.DanielDust
Sounds like he's new to buying things in general. You can always expect the highest prices when you buy products straight from their producers (typically MSRP), while brick-and-mortar and digital retailers alike will mark the products down to sell.
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bezza2011

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]New to digital distribution? retail is always cheaper for newly released games.KHAndAnime
Sounds like he's new to buying things in general. You can always expect the highest prices when you buy products straight from their producers (typically MSRP), while brick-and-mortar and digital retailers alike will mark the products down to sell.

No that is not the case i work for my own company and i buy things straight from the suppliers. I'm new to the whole steam and origin buying as i've only just got back into pc gaming, but my view on stuff is if i go straight to the supply firm then i get it at wholesale price, and then i can put my profit on top and sell it. so surely going straight to an EA source who sell there own games should be selling it cheaper than stores who have to buy it off them, so people would give more money straight to EA than just nipping down and giving profit and abit of money to the local business, as there having to pay over heads, while EA aren't having to. and surely if nothing else the downloadable game should be cheaper than buying the physical copy as you are paying for the disc and packaging and that isn't even the case when on origin. 

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DanielDust
You're too fixated on EA and Origin, take a walk around gamersgate, steampowered and Amazon and look at some prices, sure you might see some good pre-order offers, especially on Amazon, you won't see anything good on Steam or Gamersgate (the only good offer I ever saw on Steam is on right now, pre-ordering Bioshock Infinite, will also get you a free XCOM and another game, can't remember the name), the rest you will see at full recommended price, that's how digital distribution works. To compete retail stores always try to lower the price. Digital always sells full recommended and that's what you'll also get straight from software companies (any kind of software), to compete digital stores do sales after a while. And don't try to make sense with retail distribution cost vs digital, even if hosting the software is cheaper than making a box, cover, manual, etc, companies will always treat them both identically, price wise.
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bezza2011

The crazy thing is tho, it's not even like there competing in price wise, either go down to your local store or website and you get it £10 cheaper than the bog standard one or for the deluxe get it for £25 cheaper than Origin. lol and the exclusive thing you get on origin is more just to look at than something what is going to benefit you. someone is running the business wrong because surely you have the price at a competitive rate to the stores and EA gets alot more sales which means alot more money going directly to them. no logic in their practise and still people buy it off them. lol 

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DanielDust
Nobody cares because people buy, it's sickening to see newly released 60 *broken euro sign* game selling like crazy on Steam, when in Europe, you can find any game released at 60 on Steam at least 15 *broken euro sign* cheaper.
S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 S4E
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts
I agree with people saying its exactly same with Steam etc. It has always been the same, and will always stay like that as well. Bashing Origin, and subsuquently EA (big surprise there), just shows a bit of ignorance and a lot of hate, whether justified or not, towards EA itself, ignoring the fact that everyone else does the exact same thing. I don't see the problem anyway. If you can get a game cheaper from Tesco or Asda, or even Morrisons/Sainsbury's (any name of supermarket will suffice), why not just buy it from there then? If Origin is more expensive than any other places, what have you lost exactly? Plus, from my experience supermarkets rarely have good prices on games anyway. Tesco is ripping you off left-right-and-centre for example. Just an example, FM 2013 which is about £18 from online retailers, costs £28-£32 from Tesco. This has happened numerous times with other games as well.