EA to publish all future Star Wars games.

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

EA has closed a deal which gives them exclusive rights to develop all Star Wars video games in the future.

Hoping for Battlefront 3 developed by DICE, but other than that, this isn't very good for gamers who like creativity and don't like micro-transactions.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Obligatory.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Obligatory.

Squeets

For those who are lazy for click the link

Nooooo

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

this isn't very good for gamers who like creativity and don't like micro-transactions.

HyperWarlock

As opposed to LucasArts sitting on the franchise and doing almost nothing for a generation?

At least EA has talented teams and tends to actually release the games they're working on.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

Obligatory.

Miroku32

Nooooo

I don't see why everyone has an issue with Disney and Star Wars. They did wonders to Marvel and we got all these awesome movies, games and merchandise. They'll do the same to SW. Fingers crossed they sell Star Wars 1313 to a good dev.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HyperWarlock

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

Obligatory.

FelipeInside

Nooooo

I don't see why everyone has an issue with Disney and Star Wars. They did wonders to Marvel and we got all these awesome movies, games and merchandise. They'll do the same to SW. Fingers crossed they sell Star Wars 1313 to a good dev.

I don't have an issue with Disney or Star Wars, I just don't like EA's business practices.

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

this isn't very good for gamers who like creativity and don't like micro-transactions.

Baranga

As opposed to LucasArts sitting on the franchise and doing almost nothing for a generation?

At least EA has talented teams and tends to actually release the games they're working on.

Well EA certainly has that and in that regards I suppose the license is in a better home. Unfortunately the rushed development cycles, micro transaction focus, increasingly slipping quality assurance, the poor response time and, er, response to said slipping quality assurance, and the always wonderful DRM features EA lavishes us with lead me to the opinion that there's not much actual incline to be found. I mean what's really gained from simply shifting the exclusivity from Lucasarts in house system to EA's?
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Miroku32

I don't have an issue with Disney or Star Wars, I just don't like EA's business practices.

HyperWarlock
This.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

EA gets a bad rap for a few games but in general they are a decent publisher with a lot of great partners.

Honestly it could have gone to Ubisoft or Activision. Disney wasn't just going to give it to a smaller publisher. EA puts out content on a lot of platforms on a very regular basis. They are pretty much the best candidate.

That said I'm hoping DICE takes up some sort of a Battlefront project. Could be fantastic. 

I haven't had a major issue with any EA game. I didn't buy Sim City the second I heard it was always online and the once singleplayer game was now a force multiplayer game. That was just EA and Maxis being dumb. ME3 was a fine game with a crap ending, but EA doesn't do the writing. I enjoy the heck out of BF3 and EA has handled that project well. Crysis 3 was a fine game that was published well. The Need for Speed games have been pretty good and so was Burnout.

I can't say I've ever been really  upset at EA for any direct reason. I wasn't hyped for ToR or Sim City so I guess I dodged some bullets.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

With DICE making some of the games I'm not worried.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

Miroku32

This.

I have to say the same. EA, the company of dicks.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Miroku32"][QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

jer_1

This.

I'm generally curious. Outside of Sim City, what lately has EA screwed customers on? ToR was exactly what it was always going to be, anybody thinking it was going to be anything but a WoW clone was falling for stupid Star Wars fanboy hyperbole. ME3 was a fine game which had a bunch of free DLC after the fact. There was no large server downtime or anything. Battlefield has been solid, Crysis 3 has been solid. 

I'm really struggling to see outside of Sim City exactly how bad EA has gotten. Even Dead Space 3 was overhyped on how bad EA's involvement was with the DLC. Turns out it didn't affect the game in the slightest. The direction of the game is a different subject but EA's usually doesn't have the direct invovlement people here think. 

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HyperWarlock

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

[QUOTE="Miroku32"] This. Wasdie

I'm generally curious. Outside of Sim City, what lately has EA screwed customers on? ToR was exactly what it was always going to be, anybody thinking it was going to be anything but a WoW clone was falling for stupid Star Wars fanboy hyperbole. ME3 was a fine game which had a bunch of free DLC after the fact. There was no large server downtime or anything. Battlefield has been solid, Crysis 3 has been solid. 

I'm really struggling to see outside of Sim City exactly how bad EA has gotten. Even Dead Space 3 was overhyped on how bad EA's involvement was with the DLC. Turns out it didn't affect the game in the slightest. The direction of the game is a different subject but EA's usually doesn't have the direct invovlement people here think. 

They have a habit of buying good studios and then shutting them down or milking their franchises to death. 

Early server shut downs

Online passes for console games

Day one DLC

However, i'm aware they aren't the only ones doing this, but they are the main culprit.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Miroku32

Wasdie
Day One DLC Microtransactions on games like DS3 Online Passes Buying studios and then killing them (Bullfrog and Westwood for example)
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
publish =/=developing /pray for Kotor 3 with Bioware
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

HyperWarlock

They have a habit of buying good studios and then shutting them down or milking their franchises to death. 

Early server shut downs

Day one DLC

However, i'm aware they aren't the only ones doing this, but they are the main culprit.

As you said EA isn't the only one doing that and things like online passes and server shutdowns are kind of normal for PC gamers. I can't play Homeworld or a lot of my other favorite games from years ago because their login servers are down. You have to hack your way around it with things like Game Ranger.

Day one DLC is kind of crappy, but again they aren't the first to do this and a lot of their games you get the DLC if you pre-order or just buy the game new at launch.

Also a lot of those studios they bought then closed down weren't a direct result of the studio being bought. Often it's just because a lot of the core staff moves away and what's left is just easier to merge with another studio internally. This isn't new to just EA. After Homeworld 2 most of the devs left Relic to do their own things. Same with Westwood and Bullfrog. 

I have a hard time believing that they just buy studios to shut them down like they are some evil force driving people out of jobs for the sake of being evil.

They make mroe than enough mistakes to warrant a lot of skepticism, but the hate they get is just overblown. In by no way they are worst company in America or the worst publisher out there. I would gladly play a EA game with Origin than walk through the hoops Ubisoft still puts us through. 

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts

publish =/=developing /pray for Kotor 3 with Bioware Franko_3

I thought we already had that along with KoToR 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and so on.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

03-Obi-Wan.jpg

...it's as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.  I fear something terrible has happened.

I don't see anything good coming of this but, who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

marshbaboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 marshbaboon
Member since 2005 • 417 Posts

Much as I'm skeptical towards EA these days due to how many times I've been burned, the possibility of Battlefront III in the frostbite 3 engine, made to the same quality as the battlefield series makes me damp. 

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HyperWarlock

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Early server shut downs

Day one DLC

As you said EA isn't the only one doing that and things like online passes and server shutdowns are kind of normal for PC gamers. I can't play Homeworld or a lot of my other favorite games from years ago because their login servers are down. You have to hack your way around it with things like Game Ranger.

I agree that the hate they get is overblown, but shutting down a 2 year old games server just sucks. 

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
Don't think it's such a bad thing that EA takes over, the fact that Bioware will contribute is what absolutely destroys and kills the franchise. I mean... It's like they're not aware of TOR. Oh well, Star Wars was pretty dead anyway and I don't really miss it all.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HyperWarlock

Don't think it's such a bad thing that EA takes over, the fact that Bioware will contribute is what absolutely destroys and kills the franchise. I mean... It's like they're not aware of TOR. Oh well, Star Wars was pretty dead anyway and I don't really miss it all. 8-Bitterness

Pretty sure Star Wars is going to blow up in popularity in a few years with the new JJ Abrams trilogy. EA owning rights to the games during that time is a goldmine for them. Star Wars interest is going to be sky high.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="8-Bitterness"]Don't think it's such a bad thing that EA takes over, the fact that Bioware will contribute is what absolutely destroys and kills the franchise. I mean... It's like they're not aware of TOR. Oh well, Star Wars was pretty dead anyway and I don't really miss it all.

Star Wars ain't dead at all...and like Hyper says, it's just gonna get more popular now with Disney.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Relevant.The sheer accuracy of this is scary

NCBHjqOh.jpgyb5scSNh.jpg9aZaNT9h.jpguUdNynih.jpg

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
You guys do realize that this is actually awesome news because of Frostbite 3 and Dice. Considering Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 4, Battlefield 4, and pretty much all of EA's future games are actually taking a more open and expansive approach, I'm not seeing the problem. D.I.C.E is a awesome developer.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wasdie  Moderator

You guys do realize that this is actually awesome news because of Frostbite 3 and Dice. Considering Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 4, Battlefield 4, and pretty much all of EA's future games are actually taking a more open and expansive approach, I'm not seeing the problem. D.I.C.E is a awesome developer.Brean24

The internet will skewer you for your opinion on DICE. I guess when you finally make a mainstream game it's cool for PC gamers to hate on you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59b71619573a1

You guys do realize that this is actually awesome news because of Frostbite 3 and Dice. Considering Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 4, Battlefield 4, and pretty much all of EA's future games are actually taking a more open and expansive approach, I'm not seeing the problem. D.I.C.E is a awesome developer.Brean24

Because they didn't make BF3 exactly the same as BF2 but with updated graphcis and they had a Premium DLC option despite it having some of the best bang for buck material in any modern game. People just hate popular things, as always

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Brean24"]You guys do realize that this is actually awesome news because of Frostbite 3 and Dice. Considering Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 4, Battlefield 4, and pretty much all of EA's future games are actually taking a more open and expansive approach, I'm not seeing the problem. D.I.C.E is a awesome developer.seanmcloughlin

Because they didn't make BF3 exactly the same as BF2 but with updated graphcis and they had a Premium DLC option despite it having some of the best bang for buck material in any modern game. People just hate popular things, as always

I really want to reinstall BF3 on my new build (couldnt play it on high on my old PC), but what always puts me off is PunkBuster. Especially cause it has 2 running services ALL THE TIME. Have they fixed this?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Brean24"]You guys do realize that this is actually awesome news because of Frostbite 3 and Dice. Considering Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 4, Battlefield 4, and pretty much all of EA's future games are actually taking a more open and expansive approach, I'm not seeing the problem. D.I.C.E is a awesome developer.FelipeInside

I really want to reinstall BF3 on my new build (couldnt play it on high on my old PC), but what always puts me off is PunkBuster. Especially cause it has 2 running services ALL THE TIME. Have they fixed this?

No idea, what's the problem with Punkbuster exactly? I've never had issues with it

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I might not like EA's business practices but they do have some good developers left. It's not like LucasArts has been doing anything with the Star Wars License for video games. For what I thought was a very long time, felt like the franchise was cursed. Do a proper Battlefront 3 and Star Wars 1313.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I don't see how they could screw it up any worse than LucasArts did themselves. These two seem like a match made in gaming Hell if you ask me.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

No idea, what's the problem with Punkbuster exactly? I've never had issues with it

Used to have issues back in Call of Duty days. Do u have BF3 installed? Is Punkbuster services running on ur task manager?
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I take this as good news. EA publishes good games, and I think something special can come out from under them. If the publishing rights ended up with Activison, I would be pretty pissed. Activision treats there licensed properties like garbage.  

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I really want to reinstall BF3 on my new build (couldnt play it on high on my old PC), but what always puts me off is PunkBuster. Especially cause it has 2 running services ALL THE TIME. Have they fixed this?FelipeInside

Used to have issues back in Call of Duty days. Do u have BF3 installed? Is Punkbuster services running on ur task manager?

I have too many games installed, it could have gottne installed from any of them.

It's taking about 1.5 mbs of my 16 gbs of ram. I think it can run just fine the back. Never once has it had an issue with Battlefield 3. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I really want to reinstall BF3 on my new build (couldnt play it on high on my old PC), but what always puts me off is PunkBuster. Especially cause it has 2 running services ALL THE TIME. Have they fixed this?FelipeInside

Yeah right now it is. 

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I think the idea of those developers pulling off a Star Wars video game is doable except for Visceral Games. They can only do Dead Space.. and they barely pulled off Dead Space 3.. Dante's Inferno.. Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel.. bad games and some crappy James Bond and LOTR games from the early to mid 2000's.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#37 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Better than LucasArts this gen. EA seems like a better fit than anybody.

Can Criterion please make a Pod Racing game?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wasdie  Moderator

illmatic87

That would actually be amazing.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
F*ck EA.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Wasdie

I have too many games installed, it could have gottne installed from any of them.

It's taking about 1.5 mbs of my 16 gbs of ram. I think it can run just fine the back. Never once has it had an issue with Battlefield 3. 

Yeah, that's what annoyed me. The services run even if ur not playing BF3, which imo is stupid. Can u disable them in services.msc???
robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

I can't remember a single EA game in the past 5 years I was happy I bought, goodbye star wars game

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FelipeInside

I can't remember a single EA game in the past 5 years I was happy I bought, goodbye star wars game

robokill
Ur loss I guess. I've been playing heaps of awesome titles from EA.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#43 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Give us KOTOR3 by Obsidian and Battlefront by who ever (maybe on the frostbite engine?).

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -wildflower-

[QUOTE="robokill"]

FelipeInside

Heaps?  Really?

I think I've bought one EA game in the past few years that I've liked, FIFA 13.  I'm terrible at it but I haven't played a soccer game in about 10 years so it's a fun diversion from the type of game I would normally play.  Well worth the $7 I paid for it.  Now, if they released an NHL game on PC I'd buy that (on sale of course).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="robokill"]

-wildflower-

Heaps?  Really?

I think I've bought one EA game in the past few years that I've liked, FIFA 13.  I'm terrible at it but I haven't played a soccer game in about 10 years so it's a fun diversion from the type of game I would normally play.  Well worth the $7 I paid for it.  Now, if they released an NHL game on PC I'd buy that (on sale of course).

Ur loss too I guess...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59b71619573a1

illmatic87

I would fvcking love a proper pod racing game like that. I think that would sell like hot cakes

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -wildflower-

Ur loss too I guess...FelipeInside

I really don't consider my not buying a bunch of rehashed sequels and generic action games much of a loss, sorry.  If anything, I feel like I saved myself a bunch of cash, headaches, and wasted time.  Besides, I never said I won't/don't buy EA games (I said I didn't really like anything in the past few years but FIFA 13) but, even when and if I do buy an EA game, I never pay more than $10 for any of them.  EA games are bargain bin purchases for me.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="illmatic87"]

seanmcloughlin

I would fvcking love a proper pod racing game like that. I think that would sell like hot cakes

I didn't mind this one, it was good fun

d

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Ur loss too I guess...-wildflower-

I really don't consider my not buying a bunch of rehashed sequels and generic action games much of a loss, sorry.  If anything, I feel like I saved myself a bunch of cash, headaches, and wasted time.  Besides, I never said I won't/don't buy EA games (I said I didn't really like anything in the past few years but FIFA 13) but, even when and if I do buy and EA game, I never pay more than $10 for any of them.  EA games are bargain bin purchases for me.

You don't consider buying a bunch of rehashed sequels and generic action games much of a loss? Yet you bought FIFA, ok then. BTW, I love FIFA.
8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Ur loss too I guess...-wildflower-

I really don't consider my not buying a bunch of rehashed sequels and generic action games much of a loss, sorry.  If anything, I feel like I saved myself a bunch of cash, headaches, and wasted time.  Besides, I never said I won't/don't buy EA games (I said I didn't really like anything in the past few years but FIFA 13) but, even when and if I do buy an EA game, I never pay more than $10 for any of them.  EA games are bargain bin purchases for me.

Boy aren't you the most special of all the snowflakes now...