Dual core supported games list

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hiddo95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 hiddo95
Member since 2005 • 45 Posts

i searched on the net for a while n then found this list in a forum

Age of Empires III

Battlefield 2

Battlefield 2: Special Forces

Black & White 2

Call of Duty 2

City of Villains by NCSoft

F.E.A.R. by Vivendi

Peter Jackson’s King Kong

Quake 4

Quake 5 (promised when released)

Serious Sam 2 by Croteam

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The Movies

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six 3

Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland

Vangauard Saga of Heros

World of Warcraft

its not a big list considering the time the technology has been around for im getting worried coz i have a dual core system

future games

unreal tournament

crysis

please tell me tthat there r gonna be more games with dual core support and add to the list

dabbott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dabbott
Member since 2003 • 329 Posts

Age of Empires III

Battlefield 2

Black & White 2

Call of Duty 2

F.E.A.R. by Vivendi

Quake 4

Serious Sam 2 by Croteam

The Movies

Vangauard Saga of Heros

World of Warcraft

its not a big list considering the time the technology has been around for im getting worried coz i have a dual core system

future games

unreal tournament

crysis

please tell me tthat there r gonna be more games with dual core support and add to the list

hiddo95
All games will eventually be Dual Core supported. No need to worry.
sofika8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 sofika8
Member since 2005 • 1351 Posts
[QUOTE="hiddo95"]

Age of Empires III

Battlefield 2

Black & White 2

Call of Duty 2

F.E.A.R. by Vivendi

Quake 4

Serious Sam 2 by Croteam

The Movies

Vangauard Saga of Heros

World of Warcraft

future games

unreal tournament

crysis

dabbott
All games will eventually be Dual Core supported. No need to worry.

my laptop processor is dual core so all those games support it? kick butt if the answer is yes
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts
Half of the games on that list don't have dual core support. I suspect this is a list from the time the AMD X2 CPU's were just released and marketing tried to convince all major games would have dual core support.
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts

Half of the games on that list don't have dual core support. I suspect this is a list from the time the AMD X2 CPU's were just released and marketing tried to convince all major games would have dual core support.Gog

Absolutely!  There are only 3 games out now with true dual core support that I know of.  They are -

Quake 4 (with the downloadable patch)

COD2 (with the downloadable patch)

Oblivion (only when playing at 800x600 because at higher reses all CPU advantages are lost because at that point all video cards currently on the market become a bottleneck.)

Armor9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Armor9
Member since 2004 • 79 Posts

Battlefield 2

hiddo95
I know for a FACT BF2 is not dual core support, b/c I have a dual core and have to set BF2 to only run on one or the game will crash.
-mr-punchout-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -mr-punchout-
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I have a question...

If a game doesn't support dual core it doesn't mean it won't run on it right?  I don't have a dual core yet, but I'll for sure upgrade sooner or later and I want to know if the older games will still at least work.  Is it worth the trade off if older cpus perform better?  I play as many older games as newer ones (more so in fact).

While we're on the topic...how about quad-core?  Will quad-core be able to run my classic doom and quake?
go_bears360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 go_bears360
Member since 2006 • 1953 Posts
I have a question...

If a game doesn't support dual core it doesn't mean it won't run on it right? I don't have a dual core yet, but I'll for sure upgrade sooner or later and I want to know if the older games will still at least work. Is it worth the trade off if older cpus perform better? I play as many older games as newer ones (more so in fact).

While we're on the topic...how about quad-core? Will quad-core be able to run my classic doom and quake?
-mr-punchout-
no all games play fine od dual core, u just have to set the affinity to 1 core
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 basersx

I have a question...

If a game doesn't support dual core it doesn't mean it won't run on it right?  I don't have a dual core yet, but I'll for sure upgrade sooner or later and I want to know if the older games will still at least work.  Is it worth the trade off if older cpus perform better?  I play as many older games as newer ones (more so in fact).

While we're on the topic...how about quad-core?  Will quad-core be able to run my classic doom and quake?
-mr-punchout-

They run fine on duals it just means they do not run any faster on the duals than they do on the single core CPUs with the same clock speed.

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gog
Some games give problems on dual core CPU's but that can be solved by disabling one of the cores.
sofika8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 sofika8
Member since 2005 • 1351 Posts
Some games give problems on dual core CPU's but that can be solved by disabling one of the cores.Gog
how can i disable one core? can I do it through device manager
dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts
I would expect most games from now on to support dual core.
cperry005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 cperry005
Member since 2005 • 490 Posts
I have gone through 3 dual core CPU's now and they have all been great running my games.
Never have had any major problems or anything that I can remember.
:D

Intel core 2 E6600
ASUS P5N32 nforce4 motherboard
2 GIGS Crucial DDR2 800
150 GB Raptor HD
XFX 7950 GX2 XXX edition
Sounblaster audigy 2 platinum sound card
OCZ 600 Watt PSU
BigD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BigD
Member since 2002 • 2223 Posts
Even if a game doesn't use both cores you will see benefit running it on a dual-core system as it will essentially have one core to itself while the rest of the system processes run on the other core. Furthermore, considering that both the 360 and PS3 are multi-cored systems you will see greater support for dual-core enabled software. 
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 basersx

Even if a game doesn't use both cores you will see benefit running it on a dual-core system as it will essentially have one core to itself while the rest of the system processes run on the other core. Furthermore, considering that both the 360 and PS3 are multi-cored systems you will see greater support for dual-core enabled software. BigD

This is not true in reality at all as MANY single core games actually run a little slower on the dual cores as compared to the singles of the same clock speed.  I proved this also by running Super PI benchmark and HL2 at the same time on a single core.  We had a thread about all this in PC Hardware.  I was still beating or the same as the 4600+.

There is VERY little that sees a benefit from dual yet.  Encoding video files and the 2 games mention are about the only thing that sees a benefit from dual right now.  This will change of course but by the time it does, CPUs like the 5000+ will cost like $99!

jobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jobs
Member since 2003 • 155 Posts

You guys are making me cry here.

Ordered a 5000+ dual machine from Dell recently. So I actually made a huge mistake.

basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 basersx

Ordered a 5000+ dual machine from Dell recently. So I actually made a huge mistake.

jobs

No thats not a mistake at all. It will still be very fast for single core apps because it's a 2.6GHz clock speed.  And by the time more apps come out that can take advantage of dual the 5000+ will still be a good mid-range CPU.  The only mistake you might have made would have been not choosing Core 2 Duo over the 5000+ but the 5000+ will still be a very good CPU for the next year and a half.

Getting a 3800+, 4200+, or 4400+ X2 would have been a huge mistake as they all are only 2.2GHZ or less.  They are slow now for single core apps and will be slow later by the time more dual core apps and Vista come out. 

(Funny because I'm typing this from a Vista RC2 install and it seems very fast on my 2.54GHz single)

jobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jobs
Member since 2003 • 155 Posts
[QUOTE="jobs"]

basersx

No thats not a mistake at all. It will still be very fast for single core apps because it's a 2.6GHz clock speed.  And by the time more apps come out that can take advantage of dual the 5000+ will still be a good mid-range CPU.  The only mistake you might have made would have been not choosing Core 2 Duo over the 5000+ but the 5000+ will still be a very good CPU for the next year and a half.

Getting a 3800+, 4200+, or 4400+ X2 would have been a huge mistake as they all are only 2.2GHZ or less.  They are slow now for single core apps and will be slow later by the time more dual core apps come out. 

Ah, that is good to hear. At least I bought it with 2gb of RAM and a 7800GT 256MB card. :)

hiddo95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hiddo95
guys problem is that u have pwerful pcs while i have a 2.0 ghz dual core(amd) so it isnt running the games very smoothly....... i knw GRAW has X2 support coz its running on max smoothly with 2.0 x2 ghz 512 mb ram and 6800 xtreme pci express (512 mb)
dougyfresh038

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dougyfresh038
Member since 2005 • 28 Posts
multiple cores will definitely stay around for awhile.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#21 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I'm kind of curious about the actual improvement in performance for some of those games. I know it will depend on the how gpu limited you are. I know that Quake 4 for example gets a nice little boost using dual core.
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 basersx

multiple cores will definitely stay around for awhile.dougyfresh038

Well of course but that is not the issue.  The two questions you have to ask about dual core are these-

1. What apps out now can actually see an improvement over the single core of the same speed?

and...

2. How good/useful will the dual core CPUs on the market now, early, be when apps that really can utilize duals finally become commonplace?

You really want to avoid buying technology early if possible.  You pay a lot for something you can’t yet use and by the time you can use it it’s already obsolete.  Or at least already low-end.

Edit: And along with that extra cost came a compromise in clock speed.  The 3800+ single is under $100!  That means unless you spent less than $100 or have 2.4GHz or more (4600+ or better) on your dual you compromised dual for clock speed!  And dual is something you can barley utilize right now and still wont be able to for another 6 months to a year.

jeffcenate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jeffcenate
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

it depends alot on the game as to wether it runs fine or not. i play eve and thats a good example of a dual core not being worth a damn. in fact if i run both cores my CPU usage hovers around 50-70% if i shut down 1 core it drops to 6 or 7 %. its a massive change. also in game the frame rates go from say 15 FPS up too 90+.

i havent yet seen a benifit to having a dual core and im not talking about numbers that dont mean anything other than to geeks. like getting 50+ FPS when your eye cant see anything over 35 FPS anyhow, but i mean real visable results, a noticable improvment in game play. no notice of benifits but there are some drawbacks.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts
I have an AMD x2 4200 and to be honest there have not really been any benefits to it. Nearly every game I own, with the exception of Quake 4, I've had to switch to using only one core to ensure they work properly. I now have WinlauncherXP installed so I don't have to keep going into Task Manager to switch to one core after launching the games - set up the config once in that app and you don't have to worry about it again. I would say, however, that it does give you the opportunity to run other tasks in the background while you are playing a game - if you set up applications to use the second core. For example, I managed to keep compiling a map for CoD UO while I was playing a game, with almost no impact on game performance except for the fact the two applications were using the same RAM. Setting up things like Teamspeak, Xfire etc., to use the second core also reduces overhead on the first core while playing games. So while not many games themselves are taking advantage of dual core yet, it can be slightly more beneficial if you are running other tasks in the background.
shoenberg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shoenberg3
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Does this mean that a non-dual core support game would be faster running a single core 3.8 ghz rather than top of line x6800 (3 ghz)? that's ridiculous
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#26 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Does this mean that a non-dual core support game would be faster running a single core 3.8 ghz rather than top of line x6800 (3 ghz)? that's ridiculousshoenberg3
Not sure what you are getting at but in answer to your question the answer is no. Ghz speed nowadays doesn't mean a great deal when comparing them to older cpus. The 2.4ghz conroe is a good deal faster than a 3+ghz p4 just because it does more per clock cycle like AMD chips. Also dual cores only get performance boosts when the games are optimized for them, maybe they run physics on one core and AI.
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
This threads kinda silly, what you want to talk about is what uses multiple cores. Almmost anything will run on Multi Core/CPU systems, you just need to define if it uses multicore. I mean hell, things as old as Quake 3 works with multicore.
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gog

This threads kinda silly, what you want to talk about is what uses multiple cores. Almmost anything will run on Multi Core/CPU systems, you just need to define if it uses multicore. I mean hell, things as old as Quake 3 works with multicore.teebeenz

"Works with" and "take advantage of" are two different things. This is about games that specifically support dual core CPU's, not just run on them.

hiddo95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hiddo95
some1 really needs to post a list of future games dat will utilize dual core or else i will go crazy n throw my dual core coz i have a 2.0 ghz x2 processor n currently none of the games give a good performance except quake 4 n GRAW
firebrand_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 firebrand_24
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
what you would need is a program like set affinity. I have a dual core 3ghz cpu, and what I've done, is put all of the main computer tasks on one core (like explorer and all that stuff), and I have the other cpu for games and entertainment stuff, that way, when you play a game, you get a great performance boost, as you have a whole cpu just to run the game. Playing Doom 3, it brought me from like 11-15 fps, to in the 50's or 60's.
guylapierre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 guylapierre
Member since 2005 • 697 Posts
"Supported" is such a misleading word. How many of these "supported" titles are optimized for dual core? That is the real question.