DRM Hell: AC2 PC sales and Ubisoft PC support ** DRM Discussion Here **

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rawtheory333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rawtheory333
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts

Now I've argued in favor of DRM to delay the hackers from cracking a game long enough for the devs and publisher to get the sales they deserve for their work, at least in the first month of release when most of the lifetime sales generally happen.

But this move by Ubisoft is the just a bad business decision. Its laid out in this article.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02/17/you-maniacs/#more-25624

This might stave off cracks for AC2 indefinitely but at what price. If this is implemented in all Ubisoft games on PC from here on out as they themselves have indicated, then they're sales on PC will plummet as word gets out on the DRM's draconian copyright protection measures and they might absolve to go console only...

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
The best response in the comments was "I'm not worried, I'll just pirate it. The paying customers are the only ones being punished." If anything, these measures encourage piracy.
Rawtheory333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rawtheory333

Yeah this DRM system, more then any other, deserves the over-hyped animosity that other systems gotten over the past few years. Other DRM to me is merely an inconvenience where as this is like War is being declared on the honest buyer.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Don't buy it then...surely proving them right by pirating is the wrong thing to do...correct? I certainly won't be buying AC2 but I wish the pretend pirate protest would stop though...people aren't pirating games because of DRM...they are pirating them to get free games.
Rawtheory333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rawtheory333

I wasn't planing on buying it before I found out about this. I'm just pointing to the decision as a bad one and I hope it fails miserably so other publishers won't see it as a successful system.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

Sigh...the only people this is going to hurt are the people that pay for the game sadly. I honestly think Ubisoft is doing this on purpose so they drive down their PC sales to ground and have a reason to no longer support the PC and switch entirely to consoles.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Renevent42

Sigh...the only people this is going to hurt are the people that pay for the game sadly. I honestly think Ubisoft is doing this on purpose so they drive down their PC sales to ground and have a reason to no longer support the PC and switch entirely to consoles.

THGarrett
Why would they need to do that? They don't have to support the PC at all...they can wake up tomorrow and decide not to. I agree this decision is not good for consumers, but why pretend there's some sort of conspiracy behind it?
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Don't buy it then...surely proving them right by pirating is the wrong thing to do...correct? I certainly won't be buying AC2 but I wish the pretend pirate protest would stop though...people aren't pirating games because of DRM...they are pirating them to get free games.Renevent42
too true. I dont like how this car runs or its pricing, I think im going to steal it tomorrow to show them whos boss. Sure its comparing digital media to physical but at some point idiots out there need to wake up and realize regardless the reason, piracy has no excuse.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
Don't care much about AC2, but a damn shame reading Settlers is going to have the same thing :(:(:(
Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts
But is SC: Conviction safe?
Rawtheory333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rawtheory333

But is SC: Conviction safe?ZuluEcho14

Highly doubtful.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

I just looked at how many pc games I actually own that were published by Ubisoft. Not that many funny enough and now they lost a possible sale on Settlers 7. Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Renevent42

Yeah, don't have many Ubisoft published games either...last I think I a purchased was Heroes V...although I do own Farcry 2 but got that free with a video card purchase.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
You know I was dead set on getting AC2 on PC. But after reading this, I'm seriously reconsidering.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

ubisoft have always been idiots with PC....

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
I definitely won't be getting any game that has this crazy DRM restriction.
Having said that, I don't think its going to make any difference. I have seen how rooted to the cause PC gamers can be when the Modern Warfare 2 fiasco happened. Within hours of launch, everyone was playing the game and some were raving about how good the online was.
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts

it is pretty bad, but Ill still get the game...

Rawtheory333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rawtheory333

So you're cool with getting booted out of your single player game cause your ISP hiccuped?

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts
Don't buy it then...surely proving them right by pirating is the wrong thing to do...correct? I certainly won't be buying AC2 but I wish the pretend pirate protest would stop though...people aren't pirating games because of DRM...they are pirating them to get free games.Renevent42
This...
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Seems like companies now are doing everything to make me return to my pirating ways...I was proud years ago to start my legit game collection and I consider convincing some of my friends to also stop pirating a great achivement...when they find out about this crap Ill never have a moment of peace.

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

Those that are thinking of buying this should consider how viable their purchase will be in the long run. We have already seen EA closing down servers for unpopular games, now that isn't a problem since the games have a single player mode. Now imagine a few years from now Ubisoft decides it no longer wants to cover the costs of the servers that allow you to save in Ass Creed 2 so they shut them down. Hey presto that game you paid good money for is now useless.

I am sure there will be some here ready to scream "but Ubisoft will patch the game so you don't need the save game server" ............... yeah right if you believe that you will believe anything. I was never a big fan of Ubisoft stuff so I wasn't going to be getting Ass Creed anyway but it is something for you guys to consider.

Rawtheory333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rawtheory333

Yeah screw Ass Crud toot and Ubeatoff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts

Rawtheory333
*sniff* Your words are awe inspiring.
lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

Rawtheory333

HAH funny :lol:

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DigiTM73
Member since 2009 • 801 Posts

So if I'm reading correctly, this means that if my internet goes down, like if we have bad rain and the telephone exchange has problems. Then I will not be able to play it? I'm sure the ISP will think I'm weird when I call them saying I can't play a game until they fix the net.

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

So if I'm reading correctly, this means that if my internet goes down, like if we have bad rain and the telephone exchange has problems. Then I will not be able to play it? I'm sure the ISP will think I'm weird when I call them saying I can't play a game until they fix the net.

DigiTM73

That's basically it. Kinda sucks, I get disconnected alot due to rain aswell, but over the past few years I've gotten used to it from only playing online games like CS:S, WoW, Cod blah blah.

It's not a good reason to accept it.. but it's a good enough reason for myself XD, i really cannot wait to play AC2.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

This is only going to get worse if you guys buy these games, or pirate them. Please, just accept the fact that you will not be playing these games. It is the only way.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
Major disconnect amongst video game publishers. The rate of piracy compared to sales is usually so small that it is insignificant. And, tbh, the people pirating probably weren't planning on buying the game in the first place. tbh, I think all video game publishers should take Econ 101 and adjust their very mistaken beliefs. Look at Hollywood. They complained so much about movie piracy in the past decade but it is still a multi billion dollar industry and as strong as ever.
The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

I always had a feeling Ubisoft would do something as stupid as this. I guess I won't be buying AC2 or Splinter Cell: Conviction (if it has it.)

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17868 Posts
shocking. absolutely rediculous. ok ubi....im going to make this simple. ill buy the game...ill use your crazy DRM but if it ever stops me from playign my game...ill crack it. if they want to make an issue of it..go right ahead. id love to see the headline: "ubisoft sues paying customer for working around broken DRM". absolutely daft. oh and if ubi do shut down the server and prevent me from playing the game....ill be asking for a refund. another headline: "ubisoft deny paying customers access to their games". oh and in another mini article: "pirates of ubisoft games continue to enjoy". have they really thought this through?
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
This is pure bs, crackers will crack the s*** out of this game. Anti Piracy measures don't stop piracy, companies should stop wasting money on DRM, take a look at GTA IV for example, a 200000 dollar DRM and still, pirates got it 5 days earlier.
Rawtheory333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rawtheory333

Major disconnect amongst video game publishers. The rate of piracy compared to sales is usually so small that it is insignificant. And, tbh, the people pirating probably weren't planning on buying the game in the first place. tbh, I think all video game publishers should take Econ 101 and adjust their very mistaken beliefs. Look at Hollywood. They complained so much about movie piracy in the past decade but it is still a multi billion dollar industry and as strong as ever. k0r3aN_pR1d3

Am as against this draconian DRM as you but saying piracy is insignificant is just not true. Pirate players dwarf legit players buy a huge margin in most releases. Still no excuse for this type of DRM for a SP gmae. Even an MP game with this would still suck.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts

[QUOTE="k0r3aN_pR1d3"]Major disconnect amongst video game publishers. The rate of piracy compared to sales is usually so small that it is insignificant. And, tbh, the people pirating probably weren't planning on buying the game in the first place. tbh, I think all video game publishers should take Econ 101 and adjust their very mistaken beliefs. Look at Hollywood. They complained so much about movie piracy in the past decade but it is still a multi billion dollar industry and as strong as ever. Rawtheory333

Am as against this draconian DRM as you but saying piracy is insignificant is just not true. Pirate players dwarf legit players buy a huge margin in most releases. Still no excuse for this type of DRM for a SP gmae. Even an MP game with this would still suck.

Modern Warfare 2 has sold like 16 million copies. Torrent freak reports that 4.1 million copies of MW2 were pirated. However, that isn't accurate as it is almost impossible to detect how many independent users pirated it. Thus, all the numbers of "pirated" copies is the same as the number of views for a YouTube video. One person could have watched the video 10 times, but it will still count as 10 views.
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#35 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

I won't buy it. No way.

There has to be a better solution to combat piracy. Driving away good, honest customers is no kind of solution.

fzdk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fzdk
Member since 2010 • 44 Posts
Sounds like I'll have to put my eye-patch on when I play AC2.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Rawtheory333"]

[QUOTE="k0r3aN_pR1d3"]Major disconnect amongst video game publishers. The rate of piracy compared to sales is usually so small that it is insignificant. And, tbh, the people pirating probably weren't planning on buying the game in the first place. tbh, I think all video game publishers should take Econ 101 and adjust their very mistaken beliefs. Look at Hollywood. They complained so much about movie piracy in the past decade but it is still a multi billion dollar industry and as strong as ever. k0r3aN_pR1d3

Modern Warfare 2 has sold like 16 million copies. Torrent freak reports that 4.1 million copies of MW2 were pirated. However, that isn't accurate as it is almost impossible to detect how many independent users pirated it. Thus, all the numbers of "pirated" copies is the same as the number of views for a YouTube video. One person could have watched the video 10 times, but it will still count as 10 views.

The majority of releases get somewhere between 50%-90% piracy rates...that's not insignificant at all. Not saying all those people are lost sales or whatever, but your comments (like every one I have read of yours) is just baseless non-sense.

Avatar image for RichardStallman
RichardStallman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RichardStallman
Member since 2009 • 1233 Posts
Sounds like I'll have to put my eye-patch on when I play AC2.fzdk
I put on my robe and wizard hat...
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#39 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
Well, when this DRM was first announced, Ubisoft had already lost a sale from me - I wasn't angry or anything, it's just that the DRM has left me completely and utterly unable to play the game at any capacity, period. But man, seeing it in action for the first time makes me think of only one thing: Ubisoft must really hate PC gamers.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

This is only going to get worse if you guys buy these games, or pirate them. Please, just accept the fact that you will not be playing these games. It is the only way.

Falconoffury

This is the answer. If you aren't happy with the DRM, either don't buy the game or pick up later at a discounted price, pirating the game only exacerbates the problem. The industry will certainly take note of those games that are making money. If games with strict DRM are underperforming in comparison to others, adjustments to meet what the market demands will be made.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
I was really excited for The Settlers 7, but now with this draconian DRM I'll save my money for the Anno 1404 expansion, Venice.
Fuzzy_Bear123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Fuzzy_Bear123
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

Falconoffury
Yep I second this statement. Don't even play the game, ignore it completely.
MondeEdlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MondeEdlu
Member since 2005 • 181 Posts

the game will fail.

it has laughable drm, no new features, is 6 months old and COMES OUT IN MARCH.

I highly doubt many gamers have the time for a 6 months old no hype game when so many major titles are coming out.

and in the end ubi will blame piracy once more

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#44 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
As much as I agree with you, I don't think people will stand up to what is right. I was no saint either, but I have been buying all my games for a long while now.
Just let it go people. Don't play the game, Ubi Soft can do whatever they want with their product. We have better games. Just let this one go.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
The answer? Buy the game/dlc, then download the crack that let's the pirates play for free.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Well I don't see how this will fix anything, the piraters will probably just make a local webserver run on your own pc and redirects the packets to it and not ubisoft's... I don't know if they like made it like 3584353543 AES encryption but uh, there will probably be some flaw somewhere(not in the encryption).
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I think I will be more angry at the people tha will buy a game with this DRM included than at Ubisoft for implementing it. I hate when people act as if it is ok to do this which is what buying it will tell them.

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DigiTM73

I think I will be more angry at the people tha will buy a game with this DRM included than at Ubisoft for implementing it. I hate when people act as if it is ok to do this which is what buying it will tell them.

PublicNuisance

Yes DRM is bad now, but you have 2x choices. Don't buy the game or buy it. Now with 99% of games using DRM, then that really limits your playing options. I complain but if the game gets high score and it looks like something I will enjoy, then I will prob get it. As for Ubisoft closing servers down and then not being able to play it. They aren't allowed, by enforcing DRM by having to be on the internet, they are bound to keep those servers running day and night. There has to be legal implications if a company sold something to a consumer that doesn't work right.
I have a bad feeling that Silent Hunter 5 will be the same. I will so be laughing when I see these titles out there on the torrents days before release.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]

DigiTM73

Yes DRM is bad now, but you have 2x choices. Don't buy the game or buy it. Now with 99% of games using DRM, then that really limits your playing options. I complain but if the game gets high score and it looks like something I will enjoy, then I will prob get it. As for Ubisoft closing servers down and then not being able to play it. They aren't allowed, by enforcing DRM by having to be on the internet, they are bound to keep those servers running day and night. There has to be legal implications if a company sold something to a consumer that doesn't work right.
I have a bad feeling that Silent Hunter 5 will be the same. I will so be laughing when I see these titles out there on the torrents days before release.

I have a feeling that if we carefully read the EULA we all agree to when installing a game that Ubisoft will have covered themselves just to not have to face legal action. I am not sure, but it seems like something they would do.

I understand DRM is hard to avoid, even I have games that sue it, but I don't own any that have this level of DRM. There is a line, and they certainly crossed it in my eyes.

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DigiTM73

DRM has been tolerable so far. Except for Codemasters. I lost Dirt 2 because my gamertag on GFWL got hacked and Microsoft closed it down for me due to security reasons. Created a new GFWL tag, all games worked ok, except Dirt2 which is tied only to the gamertag it was registered too. Contacted Codemasters, and they stated that they don't reissue keys.
Currently going through legal affairs. Has cost me a bit over $900 in costs, for a $40 game.Why, because they need to be taught a lesson, that they are supposed to screw with pirates, not paying consumers.