Dragon Age 2 gone missing.

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
Anyone else notice that Dragon Age 2 is no longer available from Steam? I could have sworn I've seen the game go on sale of the Summer Sale recently. Or am I just blind?
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The game was removed because Valve does not like the fact that you have to buy the new DLC in game in DA2. They would prefer if EA allowed use of there store.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
I had my suspicions it was linked to the Origins/Steam fiasco. Kind of annoying considering that it ultimately hurts the customers in the end. I hope Dragon Age Origin stays put, I want to pick it up on Steam in the near future.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Is STEAM getting too greedy? Or is this EA's doing?
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

Is STEAM getting too greedy? Or is this EA's doing?FelipeInside

It's EA's doing obviously. No other publisher has this problem.

That game sucked anyways, so nothing of value was lost.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

And not a single **** was given that day. Two crap games removed, but still, I hope it stops there before good games get removed

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JangoWuzHere
It is EAs fault, but the new rule about DLC in valves ToU is stupid.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JangoWuzHere

And not a single **** was given that day. Two crap games removed, but still, I hope it stops there before good games get removed

wis3boi
Why your user rating of DA2 an 8.0 then?
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

New Steam TOS requires DLC to be sold exclusively through Steam starting from a certain date. As a result, the new Street Fighter and Fable 3 are GFWL games whose DLC isn't available on GFWL. Effin' Microsoft had to release DLC through Steam. Codemasters gets away with GFWL DLC due to previous contracts. EA won't modify their DLC policy.

DA2 is better than the first one by the way.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside
So basically STEAM has some fault since it wants all the DLC through their system...?
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Remmib

So basically STEAM has some fault since it wants all the DLC through their system...?FelipeInside

Why should they distribute content and not get paid for it? It's their content servers and their bandwidth.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]So basically STEAM has some fault since it wants all the DLC through their system...?Remmib

Why should they distribute content and not get paid for it? It's their content servers and their bandwidth.

Ahhh gotcha... now I understand.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]So basically STEAM has some fault since it wants all the DLC through their system...?Remmib

Steam doesn't have to pay anything when users download from GFWL or EA servers...
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

The game was removed from Steam you have buy it from Origin or buy it at a retail store

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Valve is definitely starting to feel the greed. The new DLC policy is kinda BS.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Is STEAM getting too greedy? Or is this EA's doing?Baranga

New Steam TOS requires DLC to be sold exclusively through Steam starting from a certain date. As a result, the new Street Fighter and Fable 3 are GFWL games whose DLC isn't available on GFWL. Effin' Microsoft had to release DLC through Steam. Codemasters gets away with GFWL DLC due to previous contracts. EA won't modify their DLC policy.

Actually, you still have to get Fable III and SF DLCs from GFWL. You can purchase them from Steam, but you need GFWL to download them.. and if you don't want to buy them off Steam, you can buy them from GFWL.
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

EA and Biware went to crap years ago.

I can't believe people still try to defend either one of them.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
So because Crysis 2 and DA2 were removed by EA they are crap games now? Wow great logic there wis3boi.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
If Steam doesn't want to comply with the standard agreement to resell a game, then they cannot have the rights to resell. EA owns the games, not Steam. It's no different than Nike telling Wal-Mart they can't sell their shoes, as Wal-Mart doesn't own the shoes, they are just allowed to sell them.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

No great loss. DA2 is one of the worst games I have ever played. Seriously, everyone involved with that game should lose his or her job.

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

I believe this has all come about thanks to Steam now distributiing those free 2 play games. It would seem that Valve has changed the conditions to state that any DLC released must be through steam. this was primarily done because of the F2P games to prevent companies from using steam to release their main game and then cutting valve out of any DLC they try to sell.

Personally I would prefer Valve to ditch the f2p games and carry on selling "commercial" games. I have no doubt that there is also a fair bit of arrogance from EA too here choosing to use this as an excuse to side swipe Valve and paint Valve as the bad guys. In short they are both at fault, naturally the loser is the PC gamer and really both Valve and EA should get their head out of their respective rear ends and get the thing sorted.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I believe this has all come about thanks to Steam now distributiing those free 2 play games. It would seem that Valve has changed the conditions to state that any DLC released must be through steam. this was primarily done because of the F2P games to prevent companies from using steam to release their main game and then cutting valve out of any DLC they try to sell.

Personally I would prefer Valve to ditch the f2p games and carry on selling "proper" games. I have no doubt that there is also a fair bit of arrogance from EA too here choosing to use this as an excuse to side swipe Valve and paint Valve as the bad guys. In short they are both at fault, naturally the loser is the PC gamer and really both Valve and EA should get their head out of their respective rear ends and get the thing sorted.

charmingcharlie
I don't know about f2p, you might be right. But 2K Games did GamersGate really wrong. They told GamersGate they could sell Borderlands (which they still do), but never allowed them to sell any of the DLCs. How dumb can 2K Games be?
Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Walincas
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

So because Crysis 2 and DA2 were removed by EA they are crap games now? Wow great logic there wis3boi.V4LENT1NE

I do not like dragon age 2, as much as I liked dragon age origins, and I don't think the other guys meant, that DA2 n CR2 are crap games because of the removal, they just meant they are crap games :P

I have to say thou, that I think DA 2 is decent, not crap- however, considering the fact that it's a bioware game, and a sequel to DA: Origins, then it may be argued, that it's a crap game.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Seems like Valve's TOS is very inflexible towards DLC. But I am not concerned about Dragon Age 2's DLC since the first game's DLC was awful. The base games for both iterations have been amazing, but DLC (for DAO), not so much. Can't comment on DA2's DLC since I haven't played it yet.
Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

I don't know about f2p, you might be right. But 2K Games did GamersGate really wrong. They told GamersGate they could sell Borderlands (which they still do), but never allowed them to sell any of the DLCs. How dumb can 2K Games be?topsemag55

As far as I am aware the DLC for Borderlands is via steam isn't it ? If that is the case then it is totally wrong to exclude other sellers from selling that content. I don't approve of steam being cut out of the supply chain in favour of other services and equally I don't approve of other services being cut out in favour of steam.

I get the feeling Valve believes the PC platform will eventually end up being primarily a "f2p market" where you get the basic game for free and get micro transactioned up the wazoo. It doesn't take an expert to see that is very very bad for steam if they are not allowed to take a cut of the DLC (essentially they would end up distributing the game for free and see no income).

This problem is NOT insurmountable it can be easily fixed, but I also get the feeling there is a fair bit of commerical posturing here. Like I said both companies are acting like morons, it is bad for EA, it is bad for Valve and it is bad for the commercial prosperity of the PC.

Whilst I am here though can we please drop the talk about "how good a game is/or isn't" that is not the issue here. If you think dragon age 2 sucked then great, fine (I agree) but that is not important at the moment and hardly anything to do with the actual topic.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

I just wish they'd stop beating around the bush and elucidate to us these mysterious disappearances of digital goods.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

Seems like Valve's TOS is very inflexible towards DLC. But I am not concerned about Dragon Age 2's DLC since the first game's DLC was awful. The base games for both iterations have been amazing, but DLC (for DAO), not so much. Can't comment on DA2's DLC since I haven't played it yet.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

The DLC is actually getting a pretty positive reception, so maybe it's worth a purchase if you liked Dragon Age 2.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

So because Crysis 2 and DA2 were removed by EA they are crap games now? Wow great logic there wis3boi.V4LENT1NE

Nope, I'm pretty sure they have always been crap games...

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]Seems like Valve's TOS is very inflexible towards DLC. But I am not concerned about Dragon Age 2's DLC since the first game's DLC was awful. The base games for both iterations have been amazing, but DLC (for DAO), not so much. Can't comment on DA2's DLC since I haven't played it yet.SkyWard20

The DLC is actually getting a pretty positive reception, so maybe it's worth a purchase if you liked Dragon Age 2.

Hmm interesting. I will have to look into that.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Born_Lucky

One of the reasons I will NOT buy the new Star Wars MMO... EVER!

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]So because Crysis 2 and DA2 were removed by EA they are crap games now? Wow great logic there wis3boi.Mograine

Nope, I'm pretty sure they have always been crap games...

In your opinion maybe, reviews from critics say otherwise.
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RaseshX
Member since 2008 • 404 Posts

No great loss. DA2 is one of the worst games I have ever played. Seriously, everyone involved with that game should lose his or her job.

-wildflower-
Yet another clone jumping on the 'Lets hate DA2' bandwagon. It wasn't good in comparison to the first, people's expectations were too high. Overall it wasn't bad. Don't over exaggerate.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"] Steam doesn't have to pay anything when users download from GFWL or EA servers...Remmib

Stop trying to put some sense into Remmib, he's a Steam fanboy, you're wasting your time trying to put some logic where he posts.

Lol I was like lol.

Your head is so far up EA's ass that you can't see for the light of day. You're just suffering from cognitive dissonance because you've invested so much in their god awful service.

Regardless, your original post at the start of this quote chain is 100% wrong. The entire thing at stake here is that the DLC wasn't touching Steam at *all,* especially payment, but including content servers and bandwidth. That's what got the games yanked from Steam.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Born_Lucky

You must have impossibly high gaming standards if you think Bioware are crap.

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#38 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

Wait a minute, EA is going to do this with every game now!? I don't want to have to buy games in different platforms, I just want them on Steam. Add to the fact that retail is overpriced here and I've got a big problem... Any chance of those games coming back?

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Is STEAM getting too greedy? Or is this EA's doing?trastamad03

Actually, you still have to get Fable III and SF DLCs from GFWL. You can purchase them from Steam, but you need GFWL to download them.. and if you don't want to buy them off Steam, you can buy them from GFWL.

Only due to the half-assed implementation of Steam DLC. In Street Fighter there's a glitch that allows you to buy from GFWL, and in Fable 3 they just replaced the Marketplace button with a link to Steam's DLC page.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

In your opinion maybe, reviews from critics say otherwise.V4LENT1NE

Critics also say Oblivion, Fallout 3, Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops are among the best games of this generation, that Fallout 3 is the best Fallout game, I could go on but you get the point ;)

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Remmib

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"] In your opinion maybe, reviews from critics say otherwise.Mograine

Critics also say Oblivion, Fallout 3, Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops are among the best games of this generation, that Fallout 3 is the best Fallout game, I could go on but you get the point ;)

People here ignore the fact that reviewers receive financial incentives + vacations to inflate review scores.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

RaseshX

Yet another clone jumping on the 'Lets hate DA2' bandwagon. It wasn't good in comparison to the first, people's expectations were too high. Overall it wasn't bad. Don't over exaggerate.

Clone? Seriously, what are you babbling on about?

I didn't think DA:O was that great (it was okay) but the second game flat out sucked. It was a poorly designed single-player MMORPG. DA2 is a great example of how not to design a RPG and, yes, they should be fired. The only redeeming quality about the game was that the story wasn't the typical Bioware formula. The game is an embarrassment.

Cenerune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cenerune
Member since 2008 • 588 Posts

Out of curiosity, anybody has a link with information on this and the clear impact it will have or are we just speculating the outcome?

Does the new valve policy simply obligate devs and publishers to sell the DLC via steam as an option (which would be good) or is it really a case of acquiring some sort of DLC monopoly over the other DD services (which would be bad)?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"] In your opinion maybe, reviews from critics say otherwise.Remmib

People here ignore the fact that reviewers receive financial incentives + vacations to inflate review scores.

If by fact you mean odd conspiracy theory, then yes.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Remmib

[QUOTE="Remmib"]

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

JangoWuzHere

You are obviously ignorant of these facts.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/11/call-of-duty-black-ops-review-event-press-gifts-detailed.ars

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts

DA2 has had DLC released since launch so I don't really see how Valve's DLC policy plays a part as it hasn't been an issue between to two before with this game and as far as I'm aware EA is the only one having issues with Valve's DLC policy. It does seem strange that EA and Valve are having all these breach of contracts shortly after the launch of Origins though which is EA's serious attempt a the DD market, Valve isn't liking the added competition or EA is looking for a good PR out from Origins biggest competitor or something. Neither side really wins here so it's strange to see it continue to happen when it hasn't happened before.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#48 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

The line of reasoning that it is the DLC not being offered on Steam is patently false. Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dead Rising 2, and several other EA games have purchasable DLC through their own storefronts (in case of ME 1 and 2 the Bioware Store) that is NOT available on Steam. Many other games from many other companies have purchasable DLC through their own storefront that is NOT available on Steam.

Unless Valve is grandfathering in every game before a certain date then the DLC argument cannot hold up, which means EA is outright lying about why their game are getting pulled from Steam. No other developer has had a game pulled from Steam because of this issue yet. So I find it very hard to believe EA is the only one.

Edited for clarification.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"]

Remmib

You are obviously ignorant of these facts.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/11/call-of-duty-black-ops-review-event-press-gifts-detailed.ars

Starting to see why games like Mount and Blade get low scores.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#50 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

In the end we can all agree that this is stupid for both companies and they both are gonna lose money from it...