DOW vs C&C 3 TW

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gogators4life
Member since 2006 • 4654 Posts

So we got C&C 3 Tiberium Wars VS Dawn of War, two sci-fi RTS games facing offeach other. Which RTS do you like more? Vote now in the poll! I think TS or RA 2 is the best C&C game, I am a little disappointed with C&C 3, it missed some C&C aspects. Like crates, music, etc.

DOW meanwhile focuses on capturing strategic points, and is innovative.

Begemott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Begemott
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts
Eh, I love the original C&C - C&C3 however, was just an average RTS, while DoW brought new aspects and ideas, thus it gets my vote
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gogators4life
Ya, C&C 3 was more than medicore RTS game imho. They brought new things like the squad system, which is bad. C&C should be C&C, almost every RTS game now adays has squads, lame.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Oh, come on, now. Starcraft vs. DoW was a fair fight, but this is just going to be pathetic. DoW is going to win this poll easily.

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gogators4life

Well according to EALA, C&C 3 sold over 2 million copies. Too much for a medicore RTS game, don't you think so?

Begemott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Begemott

Ya, C&C 3 was more than medicore RTS game imho. They brought new things like the squad system, which is bad. C&C should be C&C, almost every RTS game now adays has squads, lame. gogators4life

Actually DoW brought squad system before C&C3. Im sure there were older games that did so, but too lazy right nwo to think/search for em.

Edit: You seem to be thinking of something different when you say "mediocre"

TotalX5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TotalX5
Member since 2004 • 49 Posts

I don't mean to be rude or anything but why are the topics you make always "RTS" vs DoW.

DoW is not the best RTS.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JP_Russell

Well, I like it alright based on the demo, and I do plan to get it. I like DoW more, but C&C3 was still fun for me. But many people were let down by it. I think most of the bashing it gets is more from the fact that it didn't live up to its hype or its Command & Conquer name to many people than from it just being a mediocre or bad RTS.

Still, even with that said, it's not nearly on the level of popularity that DoW is. Think about it, DoW beat Starcraft (if only by a little), a very popular RTS itself, in the last poll you did. Now, put the DoW series up against the C&C series as a whole, and the results of that poll might be a little different.

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gogators4life

DOW is not the best RTS game, but it most certainly is one of the best RTS games ever created. And WC 3 or SC is the best RTS game IMHO.

I define medicore by what the game has to offer and quality of it.

TotalX5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TotalX5

Well, I like it alright based on the demo, and I do plan to get it. I like DoW more, but C&C3 was still fun for me. But many people were let down by it. I think most of the bashing it gets is more from the fact that it didn't live up to its hype or its Command & Conquer name to many people than from it just being a mediocre or bad RTS.

Still, even with that said, it's not nearly on the level of popularity that DoW is. Think about it, DoW beat Starcraft (if only by a little), a very popular RTS itself, in the last poll you did. Now, put the DoW series up against the C&C series as a whole, and the results of that poll might be a little different.

JP_Russell

Im pretty sure the only reason DoW won the poll VS Starcraft was because it was released a good 8 years after, and there are more PC gamers now because of the eye candy, and many of the new pc gamers have not tried SC. I see so many people on these forums saying "How can you like Starcraft, it looks like crap." "Omg, SC graphics suck."

For a poll to have a true result it would have to be 2 games released near each other.

Dow would get owned when SC2 comes out and u made a "DoW Vs SC2" poll. lol

Begemott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Begemott

DOW is not the best RTS game, but it most certainly is one of the best RTS games ever created. And WC 3 or SC is the best RTS game IMHO.

gogators4life

1) Its EA, EA advertizes its games well, so no wonder C&C3 sold well 2) Its a C&C game, I bought it for the story and continuation of C&C universe, as might many of the '2 million' copies sold

And by my comment about mediocrety, C&C 3 is mediocre. It has all the RTS elements and some tweaks but nothing revolutionary. a Good RTS is WC3, SC etc. You on the other hand, seem to think mediocre means sucky

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gogators4life
Ok, I will make a poll of DOW:Soulstorm VS SC 2 after both Starcrat 2 and Soulstorm gets released, deal? And I agree, some people are graphic whores, but DOW is more than grapchics, it's innovative.
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gogators4life
[QUOTE="gogators4life"]

Begemott

And by my comment about mediocrety, C&C 3 is mediocre. It has all the RTS elements and some tweaks but nothing revolutionary. a Good RTS is WC3, SC etc. You on the other hand, seem to think mediocre means sucky

No, I don't think C&C 3 is a crap game, I think it's medicore, as in average.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JP_Russell

Im pretty sure the only reason DoW won the poll VS Starcraft was because it was released a good 8 years after

I'm not. Starcraft still has a very large following, and its age doesn't significantly hinder it for anyone I've seen.

and there are more PC gamers now because of the eye candy, and many of the new pc gamers have not tried SC.

I highly doubt this. Starcraft has such a calling that almost any dilligent RTS player will have gone out and bought Starcraft due to its popularity. Heck, I bought it several years after it came out just because of how much I'd heard about it, and I'm not even a major RTS gamer, FPS games are my calling.

I see so many people on these forums saying "How can you like Starcraft, it looks like crap." "Omg, SC graphics suck."

I don't. I hear people say it's graphics were sub-par even when it was released occasionally (which is true), but I never see someone say stupidly that the graphics suck (it's ten years old, so of course they suck today), and especially not "so many people."

For a poll to have a true result it would have to be 2 games released near each other.

I disagree. I think a true result can't be reached in most cases if one of the game series in question just had a game released, which DoW hasn't, it's only had expansion packs and many people are of the mind that its formula is aging.

Dow would get owned when SC2 comes out and u made a "DoW Vs SC2" poll. lol

Of course it would. People always hype a series up when it has a new game come out (provided it's not a poor addition in the minds of many, like Tiberium Wars). When DoW2 comes out, then the polls will be back to being neck-and-neck, or even in favor of DoW (well, unless Relic does poorly, which I doubt).

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Dawn of War for me
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gogators4life
If SC 2 and DOW 2 came out at the same time. DOW 2 would probably be more innovative, more to offer, etc. Starcraft 2 would probably have better mp and story. DOW 2 would feature Tyranids, that right there is key to victory.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="gogators4life"]

Begemott

1) Its EA, EA advertizes its games well, so no wonder C&C3 sold well 2) Its a C&C game, I bought it for the story and continuation of C&C universe, as might many of the '2 million' copies sold

I agree with your assessment of why C&C3 sold well.

The problem with the word mediocre is that there are kind of two different mediocres. There's the bland type of mediocre, like Gamespot's 5/10. This mediocre means there's nothing remarkable or of interest about the game, and most serious gamers wouldn't be able to find enjoyment in it. Then there's the average, or rather, "averagely good" kind of mediocre, a 7/10. That's the kind you're talking about.

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gogators4life
Ya, when I meant medicore, I meant average. And C&C 3 got 9.0 from Gamespot. Starcraft got only 9.1. :|
TotalX5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TotalX5
[QUOTE="Begemott"][QUOTE="gogators4life"]

gogators4life

No, I don't think C&C 3 is a crap game, I think it's medicore, as in average.

If you don't think its a crap game why'd you give it a 1/10 rating? :S

BTW whats so innovative about DoW?

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

Well according to EALA, C&C 3 sold over 2 million copies. Too much for a medicore RTS game, don't you think so?

gogators4life

that actually kinda shows how many C&C fans there are, my friend didn't care about the gameplay, cuz he just thought "I can't just not know what happens, I gotta get C&C" So he bought it with no hesitation.

He still likes DoW more. I do too.

DoW gets my vote again.

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gogators4life

Did you play DOW before? It's the first RTS to have stategic points, and it doesn't revolve around collecting resources. :D

And I don't really give a damn aboutGS rating system, but don't get me wrong, Starcraft is a great game. Last month, I got WC 3, which is really, really good. :)

master_blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#22 master_blue
Member since 2003 • 1791 Posts

whats so innovative about DoW?

very little a decent overwatch system and reinforcing and the resource model, its still a great game though but has even less tactical options than command and conquer 3, ok so its got hero units so you can activate various specials and spells but the maps are so small and pathfinding pretty poor that when an army is being manouvered its just a big mess and the game degenerates into mob combat with very little control beyond either drag select everything to attack specific unit , or hit group keys and do the same.

The other strategies open to a player consisted of rushing and stealthing in a unit to use orbital drops/teleport, at least with CC3 theres directional damage, reverse movement,enginner rushing and a better singleplayer campaign.

Still DoW has more variety in factions and races and I prefer the setting but it just seems strange for DoW to be held up as a paragon of strategy gaming.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
DoW
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gogators4life
Who said DOW is paragon of RTS games? C&C 3 can do better, it sold over 2 million copies, and got 9.0 from Gamespot.
mohan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mohan88
Member since 2006 • 4839 Posts
C&C 3 is one of the worst C&C game ever.
TotalX5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TotalX5
Strategic points are basically gold mines that you don't need to mine for minerals lol
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gogators4life
^^^ You can keep thinking that. :)
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gogators4life
Does anybody here know how much DOW sold?
Iron_will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Iron_will
Member since 2007 • 2837 Posts

whats so innovative about DoW?

very little a decent overwatch system and reinforcing and the resource model, its still a great game though but has even less tactical options than command and conquer 3, ok so its got hero units so you can activate various specials and spells but the maps are so small and pathfinding pretty poor that when an army is being manouvered its just a big mess and the game degenerates into mob combat with very little control beyond either drag select everything to attack specific unit , or hit group keys and do the same.

The other strategies open to a player consisted of rushing and stealthing in a unit to use orbital drops/teleport, at least with CC3 theres directional damage, reverse movement,enginner rushing and a better singleplayer campaign.

Still DoW has more variety in factions and races and I prefer the setting but it just seems strange for DoW to be held up as a paragon of strategy gaming.

master_blue

I agree with the pathfinding its a nightmare with the Imperial guard, besides that I enjoy it alot.

Iron_will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Iron_will
Imagine 6 fully reinforced IG squads, two Leman russes and a baneblade and a small map
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gogators4life
Squiggoth could own all of that. It could take out 2 lemans russ and a baneblade.
Iron_will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Iron_will

Squiggoth could own all of that. It could take out 2 lemans russ and a baneblade. gogators4life

Yeah, especially when its your playing on the campaign and its on easy, well I think I'm goin to sleep now, its 4.00am here in Singapore.

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gogators4life

[QUOTE="gogators4life"]Squiggoth could own all of that. It could take out 2 lemans russ and a baneblade. Iron_will

Yeah, especially when its your playing on the campaign and its on easy, well I think I'm goin to sleep now, its 4.00am here in Singapore.

No seriuosly, Squiggoth can own Baneblade. :)

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
CnC3 TW is a fun game production wise (and story wise), but it has nothing over DoW when it comes to actual strategy. In CnC3, the infantry quickly lose point once you have enough tiberium for vehicles (which get churned out like EA sports games every year). In DoW, every unit has a purpose that can be used well into the middle of the game and still help out. Plus the battles are fun to zoom into and watch :)
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="Iron_will"]

[QUOTE="gogators4life"]Squiggoth could own all of that. It could take out 2 lemans russ and a baneblade. gogators4life

No seriuosly, Squiggoth can own Baneblade. :)

A lot of relic units can own the Baneblade, especially melee ones. The Baneblade isn't a focus-firing powerhouse. It's meant to be able to fire on several targets at once while dealing considerable damage to each. It also relies on long range to be at full strength since its demolisher cannon and battle cannon have a minimum range, so a melee attacker won't even get the full force of its focus-firing. It's not a one-on-one monster, which is a good thing from a balance perspective.

As for the Squiggoth, it pales in comparison to the Kauyon Knarloc, Avatar, and Bloodthirster for its durability and damage output. One on one against any of them, and it loses pretty easily. Its main advantages are its ability to come back from a retreat at full or higher strength thanks to being repairable, its Zzzap Gun, and its ability totransport units.

Maxsimus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Maxsimus_basic
Member since 2002 • 85 Posts

While i do like both games. CNC 3 has by far been the superiour game FOR ME! i just like the CNC universe and the units gameplay how the game feels etc just appeals more to me. And i have had a blast playing it online. While cnc 3 might not be a 9.0 game i think its 8-8.5 a very good game indeed.

Also i should be noted that i got DoW with Company of heroes as an extra bonus packed with CoH. And while CoH was by far a superior game imo,I did not play DoW that much really.

mohan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mohan88
I feel bad for C&C 3. :cry:
Enddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Enddon
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Strategic points are basically gold mines that you don't need to mine for minerals lol
TotalX5

I'll try and sum up all your arguements here:

1) Dawn of War is based off Warhammer 40k which has a HUGE following as a tabletop game and thus, lots of people would like having a video game version

2) Lots of carnage which was a good bonus

3) The squad system and cover made it innovative and appealing as a new type of RTS not to mention the morale bonus.

4) The strategic points defeated the purpose of turtling, a strategy which was hard to beat without having to go and rearrange for siege which by then would get you attacked by a mass of air units.

5) The game is just fun to play in general, it isn't about eye-candy anymore since lots more games can surpass (hell, C&C3 has lots better graphics)

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gogators4life
That's true, a lot of Relic units can beat down Baneblade. But Squiggoth is HUGE, it can take out Avatar and Bloodthrister too. :)
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gogators4life
Anyone else?
sol_blade22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sol_blade22
Member since 2006 • 800 Posts

The Squiggy is the most usless relic unit in the game >_>

Being bigger doesn't mean its better it just means its going to be a pathfinding nightmare T_T

sol_blade22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sol_blade22

Being bigger doesn't mean its better it just means its going to be a pathfinding nightmare T_T

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gogators4life

sol_blade22

Squiggy can own every relic unit except for Knarloc.

strider1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 strider1983
Member since 2005 • 184 Posts
Dawn of War !!!
Iron_will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Iron_will
[QUOTE="sol_blade22"]

gogators4life

Knarloc? its feet stomp is practically useles, the squiggy's stomp is just epic! And especially that cool charge ability. I consider the Knarloc week compared to the Squiggy.

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gogators4life
[QUOTE="gogators4life"][QUOTE="sol_blade22"]

Iron_will

Knarloc? its feet stomp is practically useles, the squiggy's stomp is just epic! And especially that cool charge ability. I consider the Knarloc week compared to the Squiggy.

Knarloc owns Squiggy, here's proof,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p1X6R-r_d00

sol_blade22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sol_blade22
Honestly all you have to do is flank a Squiggy and it's gonna be dead by the time it turns around. It takes like a min. for it turn :|
mohan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mohan88
Why is that thread still going?