DotA vs LoL thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

G9ice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 G9ice
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hello guys, Although these two games are really similar to eachother, but are in many ways different. I myself prefer DotA to LoL, because it's a much harder game and it requires more teamplay and skill. What do you guys think ? What are the pros and cons of both games ?
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
I play LoL a lot, and not really interested in trying out DOTA 2.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Different games for different times. If I have like 70 minutes to spare I'll always go for Dota 2, but since there's no way to really guarantee a short Dota match, if I don't have that much time but I feel like a Dota-type game I'll go for League since it has shorter game maps and modes.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Dota has a better aesthetic, and more depth in terms of gameplay.  I feel like I could play thousands of hours of DOTA and have it still feel fresh.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Dota has a better aesthetic, and more depth in terms of gameplay.  I feel like I could play thousands of hours of DOTA and have it still feel fresh.

True_Sounds
They are both pretty in depth. DOTA does have more too in in terms of mechanics, but LoL competitive play is pretty intense.
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts
I play LoL a lot, and not really interested in trying out DOTA 2.harry_james_pot
Same here, I enjoy DOTA 2 but not nearly as much as League. Whats your Summoner name?
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I tried to get into DotA 2, it was just meh. I do love the art style of DotA 2 but I have to say overall LoL is the better game.

WickedChainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 WickedChainy
Member since 2012 • 319 Posts
HoN is so much better then either one...
creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 creaturemagic
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts

DoTA 2 > HoN > Cr@p > LoL

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
Community aside , LoL is a far more addictive and balanced game. And im not talking about graphics or anything alike. Pure gameplay/characters/skills
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

True_Sounds
I feel like this for LoL and not for Dota2
longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

Dota 2 - I can't really get into LoL despite my efforts.

Avatar image for Allenmorgan1234
Allenmorgan1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Allenmorgan1234
Member since 2013 • 65 Posts
but i love to play the Dot A a lot .. though i have played Lol as well yet the previous one is looking more appealing to me and now I'm fond of it
Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts
these threads are played out. seriously players play DOTA 2. noobs and bads play LOL. its pretty simple.
sn4k3_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 sn4k3_64
Member since 2007 • 1134 Posts

This is all down to opinion therefore you will never get a decisive answer as a whole but having played both my view is that dota 2 is far better. The game mechanics are a lot more in depth, yes I would say its more difficult and does have a steep learning curve but it is definitely worth it, the roster of heroes is incredible too i believe there is over 100 to choose from all of which are acessible, this isn't the case for LoL where not all heroes are accessible. The graphics in dota 2 are in my opinion far superior, LoL's visuals are cartoony and basic, whereas dota's really are very pretty to look at and the heroes generally look pretty awesome. Also for those saying Dota 2 is unbalanced this just isn't true, there are a few heroes that I would say need to be nerfed somewhat (drow ranger for instance), but on the whole its very balanced as every hero can be countered in some aspect. I enjoyed playing both games, but once I had got past the difficulties of starting out on dota 2 i never looked back and LoL was never played again. Hope this helps somewhat..

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#16 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Not this again.
Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts
Both have the worst online community ever
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

Community aside , LoL is a far more addictive and balanced game. And im not talking about graphics or anything alike. Pure gameplay/characters/skillsAzatiS

LoL is a for more addictive and balanced game

addictive and balanced

balanced

wat

Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

LoL but only because im addicted to ARAM (its the only thing I play)

feverberries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 feverberries
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts

seriously players play DOTA 2. noobs and bads play LOL.Geminon

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Both have the worst online community everSweetbackhair

If you don't suck you won't get bitched at lol.  If you feel like the community sucks, do the community a favour and watch some replays / play against some bots instead of queuing up and pissing your team off.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="AzatiS"]Community aside , LoL is a far more addictive and balanced game. And im not talking about graphics or anything alike. Pure gameplay/characters/skillsMacBoomStick

LoL is a for more addictive and balanced game

addictive and balanced

balanced

wat

You've only played a few games haven't you? It's more balanced than HoN or DOTA2, and gets far more developer support.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
I've played a lot of LoL in my day and a little DOTA 2 mainly for the reason that i had a bunch of friends that played LoL which is pretty much why i played it for as long as I did. these days I'm done with MOBAs just way way way too time consuming I'm going to have to say LoL for the better of that two games but, that's more because of time spent than actual quality.
schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

HON > DOTA2 > LOL

ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

Played lol for months and dota 2 for 4-5 days and 've to say dota more indepth gameplay mech... where as lol is bit easier and noob friendly, easy to get into but both fun to paly....

Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tixylixx
Member since 2011 • 312 Posts
Both are boring, it's like playing an RTS with one unit........ for noobs or something.
mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts

Smite>all

Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

True_Sounds

Icefrog + Valve combo is pretty OP. One thing I should add is that Dota 2's competitive games are generally far more interesting to watch. 

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

DotA 2 is more mechanically indepth

League is better balanced and has a stronger competitive scene.

League - easy to grasp, hard to master

DotA 2 - hard to grasp, hard to master

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts

these threads are played out. seriously players play DOTA 2. noobs and bads play LOL. its pretty simple.Geminon
Which is why LoL has a way bigger pro scene than DotA 2 right?

Anyways, both games are great. I'd have to choose LoL just because I have more experience with that. I've played DotA 2 a lot, but I could never really stick to it. What I like more about DotA 2 is the fantastic art style, and the wide range of items. I also like how every hero in the game is free.

_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 _VenomX
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

Community aside , LoLis a far more addictive and balanced game.And im not talking about graphics or anything alike.Pure gameplay/characters/skillsAzatiS

ROFL

Morphsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Morphsis
Member since 2012 • 37 Posts
Both games are good overall. Though, I preffer Dota 2 instead of LoL. Why ? Well, it's simple. Dota 2 is more complex. Why again ? Because the heroes are not ballanced in the way LoL's heroes are. In Dota 2, every hero has a counter-hero, that's how they are ballanced. In LoL evey hero can beat every other hero if you know how to play with it. The way Dota 2 ballance heroes gives players new ways to play as a team, new team strategies to play. Also, let's not not forget that Dota 2 has a very complex deny system, which LoL does not have, which again has a big influence in Dota's 2 gameplay and strategies. In Dota 2 is harder to comeback if you're loosing, in LoL it's easier just because the map is smaller, and the heroes are ballanced in this manner. Another PLUS for Dota 2 are the bots. They depend not only on the level you select between easy/medium/hard/unfair, they also depend on how you play. Dota 2 place you in a BRANCH depending on how you play, something like LoLs ranked system. Also, Dota 2s map is more complex than LoL's map, being bigger and lanes being verry different from each other. LoL's lane's are all the same. Dota 2s items are more complex too. You have more active items in Dota 2 than in LoL which again makes Dota 2 more complex. Let's not forget about LoL ban system. One of my friends got banned for 24 hours last week because he left a BOT match, because his internet co... In Dota 2, if you leave a practice match it's ok. It's just practice. In Dota 2 you dont get immediately banned, you get punished by being put in a low priority branch first. Dota 2 has a ... How to say it, more competent player base. Why ? Because of their invitation system. In the begging, when everyone who were in beta got 3 invitations, and the ones who completed the survey too, if the person who was invited got punnished, the person who invited him got punished too. That's how it was in the begging. You will not get cursed if you suck as much as you will get in LoL, because Dota 2 is not free to play yet, and there's not so many kids playing it . I'm not saying that Dota 2 is better than LoL. LoL is easier than Dota 2, this making it a more noob friendly game than Dota 2, but overall, Dota 2 is a more complex game. They aim for different players, that's why you can't really compare LoL with Dota 2. I'm sorry for my bad english, but you get the point.
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
In LoL evey hero can beat every other hero if you know how to play with it.Morphsis
That's not true though. Every champion does have a counter.