Does Crysis Warhead use 4 cores?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bedram793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#1 bedram793
Member since 2006 • 1741 Posts
Does Crysis Warhead take advantage of 4 cores or no? I'm guessing no, since the first one didn't, but I'm just wondering. So, does it or not?
-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts
Well in the intro it says plays best with two cores, which definetly means it was only made to support 2 cores so unfortunately 4 cores will be a waste on warhead. Sorry :(
bedram793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bedram793
^^^ OK, thanks. Also, it will use 2 of my 4 cores right?
amekhov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 amekhov
Member since 2007 • 987 Posts
No games uses or will use 4 cores for a long time.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
No games uses or will use 4 cores for a long time.amekhov
supcom does!
musclesforcier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 musclesforcier
Member since 2004 • 2894 Posts

No games uses or will use 4 cores for a long time.amekhov

Some games already do.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

[QUOTE="amekhov"]No games uses or will use 4 cores for a long time.Makari
supcom does!

And UT3.

bedram793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bedram793
Really? UT3 does? I have the demo and I don't think I run it that well. It's fine (settings on 3/5 on 1440x900, fps about 40-50 most the time). But it will use 2 of my 4 cores right?
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JP_Russell

Really? UT3 does? I have the demo and I don't think I run it that well. It's fine (settings on 3/5 on 1440x900, fps about 40-50 most the time). But it will use 2 of my 4 cores right?bedram793

It will utilize all four.

The E8500 would be on top out of these processors in every game out there that doesn't utilize four cores, but UT3 does. You're not able to play on higher settings than you do because of your video card.

bedram793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bedram793

Well, I was talking about Warhead. Should have stated that better. Will Warhead use 2 of my 4 cores? And yeah, I know my graphics card isn't the best.

Also, this is just out of curiousity, would the E8500 beat 4 cores in UT3? As in, is it more powerful than a quad core (either one). So, would an E8500 perform better in a game that utilizes 4 cores against a 4 core processor?

Also, how come the difference is so little against the 2.66 GHz 4 core processor and the one I have (the Q6600)?

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Because it's a phenom quad core ;) and the performance is so low on quad core processors since the games don't use them well, even those that "utilize" all 4 cores.

The only one that actually uses quad cores efficiently is Supreme Commander and there is also a limit to how fast the processor can send information. In applications that rely heavily on multicore processors, what is important is the information that gets processed and that is sent, it's more about quantity, that's why in application quad cores can double the performance of a dual core, but in games you don't need massive amount of processing power, only speed, and quad cores sacrifice some of that speed for more power, that's why in games that don't rely much on the processor, a dual core can get more frames, and in games that use a quad core even if it uses them efficiently or not the fps gain won't be that high.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Well in the intro it says plays best with two cores, which definetly means it was only made to support 2 cores so unfortunately 4 cores will be a waste on warhead. Sorry :(-Origin-

The intro is just an advertisement of intels core 2 duo it doesnt mean that it dont support 4 cores (nvidia also appears in the intro and that doesn't make the gtx260 faster than the 4870) but yea crysis warhead doesnt scale in 4 cores

Bristar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bristar
Member since 2002 • 495 Posts

I'm not quite sure how the cpu uses it's cores, but if warhead uses 2 cores, wouldn't the cpu use the 3rd or 4th core to take care of windows or any background programs, thus giving warhead better performance?

Like I said I'm not that knowlegable about it just curious.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
[QUOTE="Bristar"]

I'm not quite sure how the cpu uses it's cores, but if warhead uses 2 cores, wouldn't the cpu use the 3rd or 4th core to take care of windows or any background programs, thus giving warhead better performance?

Like I said I'm not that knowlegable about it just curious.

QUOTE/

Well while you are playing if you are doing background tasks with your pc like video encoding or creating mp3's ( heavy cpu dependent tasks ) you are much better off with a 4 core processor but with the usual tasks a pc does while running a game ( messenger antivirus programs open windows ) the difference between 4 and 2 cores are really negligable though it is there ( speaking for the same processor architecture and same speed ). But there are a couple of games that use 4 cores ( though still dont take full advantage of them ) that are noticable faster on 4 cores processors ( still dont think because they have twice the cores are 2 times faster since games are primarly dependent on graphics card speed )

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JP_Russell

Well, I was talking about Warhead. Should have stated that better. Will Warhead use 2 of my 4 cores?

bedram793

I believe it is threaded for two cores, yes.

Also, this is just out of curiousity, would the E8500 beat 4 cores in UT3? As in, is it more powerful than a quad core (either one). So, would an E8500 perform better in a game that utilizes 4 cores against a 4 core processor?

bedram793

Depends on the quad-core in question, but no, compared to a quad-core at the same price point, the E8500 would not outperform it in UT3. But that's just UT3; it wouldn't be the case in most other games today.

Also, how come the difference is so little against the 2.66 GHz 4 core processor and the one I have (the Q6600)?

bedram793

Not sure. Perhaps UT3 just likes the Kentsfield architecture more than Yorkfield, getting more performance clock for clock, as you'll see the Q9450 leading the Q6600 by more than that in most other games (even the Q9300 beats it sometimes, though in some cases it's a little weaker seemingly solely due to lower L2 cache, which isn't the case here).

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I doubt it is, since it was released before quad-core CPUs became mainstream.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I doubt it is, since it was released before quad-core CPUs became mainstream.

Parthros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Parthros
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
First of all, sorry for the bump. Second, I plan to end this debate, once an for all. I did a little bit of my own research. I have a computer with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor. I decided to see how much each core was being used while nothing was running, then run ONLY Crysis (Pre-Release Demo) and see what the core utilization was then. I took a screen shot of my results which are posted below. Nothing running: http://img138.imageshack.us/i/crysiscoreactivity.jpg/ Only Crysis Running: http://img263.imageshack.us/i/crysiscoreactivity2.jpg/ As you can see, two cores are being used significantly more than the other two. However, the utilization of each core did go up by more than a little bit. This suggests that Crysis (even the Pre-Release Demo) was able to utilize a quad-core processor. In addition, Tom's Hardware posted a conversation with Crytec concerning the issue. Crytec claims that it runs best with a Quad Core processor and a 64-bit operating system. My Test Machine: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 4 GB DDR2 800 RAM 500 GB 7200 RPM Samsung Hard Drive Foxconn G33M03 Motherboard EVGA GTS 250 512 MB 500 Watt Rosewill Power Supply Samsung DVD-RW Drive Samsung DVD-ROM Drive Windows Vista Home Basic 32-Bit
Parthros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Parthros
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Here is the link to the Tom's Hardware results: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/98121-13-crysis-confirmed-runs-quad-core