Do you use/have case filters on your case?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

So i've been using mines (that came with a Silverstone Raven 2) since 2011 so the dust doesn't build up as much but since i got DA:I it makes my gpu fans spin like crazy, annoying jet engine sound which is twice as annoying with open ear headphones. Decided to remove em to see the difference and it made a huge of a difference. I don't think i will ever use filters again

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I always remove all of them except PSU filter.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3  Edited By neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@silversix_: You either have really bad filters or fans that can't move air. I don't have any issues with the fan filters I have on my case. Two on bottom (PSU and bottom intake fan) and one on front for another intake fan.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

I use a case filter and clean it regularly. the dust always finds its way in though

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I take them out. They restrict airflow and look pretty gross when they collect dust. My entire case came covered in that stuff so I had to rip it all out. All it amounts to is me having a lot of extra crap to clean when it comes to dusting out my PC.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

I take them out. They restrict airflow and look pretty gross when they collect dust. My entire case came covered in that stuff so I had to rip it all out. All it amounts to is me having a lot of extra crap to clean when it comes to dusting out my PC.

Same here. They cut down the amount of air-flow coming in so I removed them. Not to step on anyone's toes, but I will never understand the argument of "if I don't have dust filters, my PC will collect dust like no tomorrow." I cleaned my PC 3 weeks ago and I cannot even swipe enough dust on to the tip of my finger. And I use my PC every day and often for college, work, and some gaming. It's on at least 5 hours a day. Peak usage would be 10+ per day on the weekends for lots of homework and movie watching on my breaks.

It also helps if people dusted/wiped their hardwood floors, or if they have carpet, vacuumed their room so that does not get sucked into your PC. ;o)

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@neatfeatguy said:

@silversix_: You either have really bad filters or fans that can't move air. I don't have any issues with the fan filters I have on my case. Two on bottom (PSU and bottom intake fan) and one on front for another intake fan.

Well its three 180mm air penetrators that came with a $170+ case, so no, they aren't bad. This is what i have

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Ive had my HAF 932 since 2008 and never used dust filters since its pointless in very open case dust will always find a way in. I just dust it out with a can of compressed air every couple of months.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Elann2008

@04dcarraher said:

Ive had my HAF 932 since 2008 and never used dust filters since its pointless in very open case dust will always find a way in. I just dust it out with a can of compressed air every couple of months.

Same PC case. No dust filters. I clean it out every 2-3 months.

1. Just buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416690676&sr=8-1&keywords=pc+air+duster+device

2. Take it outside to your porch, backyard, or in my case, my balcony, and push the power button. Watch what happens in less than 5 minutes. It only takes that much time to clean the dust out.

3. You have yourself a clean PC.

4. No need to pay for those unreliable dust cans that cost massive amounts of money. Economically speaking. Do the math. I've had this dust vac for a few years now. Still going strong.

It's really no hassle. But if you over-think it, and don't give it a try, you'll never know and experience how this is truly not a big deal.

Now, you'll have more time to worry about shitty drivers, and BSODs.

You're welcome, Gamespot members.

P.S. Every time one of these threads come up, I recommend this, and I still see the same old members responding with the same bad habits. Come on, guys! Get it together!

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

I have filters and use them, but it makes sense that it restricts air flow. Especially once dust collects on the filters. Maybe I'll try without.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Elann2008 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Same here. They cut down the amount of air-flow coming in so I removed them. Not to step on anyone's toes, but I will never understand the argument of "if I don't have dust filters, my PC will collect dust like no tomorrow." I cleaned my PC 3 weeks ago and I cannot even swipe enough dust on to the tip of my finger. And I use my PC every day and often for college, work, and some gaming. It's on at least 5 hours a day. Peak usage would be 10+ per day on the weekends for lots of homework and movie watching on my breaks.

It also helps if people dusted/wiped their hardwood floors, or if they have carpet, vacuumed their room so that does not get sucked into your PC. ;o)

My PC is in room attached to a god-forsaken storage basement, vacuuming unfortunately doesn't really do all that much for me. AFAIK the carpet aren't the source of dust, but rather our skin, and my PC gets dusty fast (within a couple months). Usually the dust is so thick that I have to pick it out with a steel pick, because air isn't enough force to get it out of my heatsinks and whatnot. Still, I'm really tempted to pick up that dust-blower vacuum that you linked...

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Elann2008

@KHAndAnime said:

@Elann2008 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

My PC is in room attached to a god-forsaken storage basement, vacuuming unfortunately doesn't really do all that much for me. AFAIK the carpet aren't the source of dust, but rather our skin, and my PC gets dusty fast (within a couple months). Usually the dust is so thick that I have to pick it out with a steel pick, because air isn't enough force to get it out of my heatsinks and whatnot. Still, I'm really tempted to pick up that dust-blower vacuum that you linked...

Yeah, the skin we shed makes up for 80% of the "dust" we find in our households. It's like when your doctor says, 95-98% of the time, your cold isn't a cold, it's allergies. Next thing you know, you're in bed for a few days. Depends. But it really depends how many people live with you, or you may live alone. Do you have windows in this PC gaming area? Is there a door that you have open a lot? Some of that can add to it. For example, walk into your kitchen, and swipe the top of your refrigerator with your hand and see how much dust will be on it. I'm sure those aren't from human skin.

The heatsink is the most annoying thing to clean. While this dust vac does not get rid of every single spec of dust, it gets rid of 95% of the dust from the heatsink. It has several attachments. Some of the tips have brushes. Perfect for heatsinks!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

I like my vacuum cleaner just fine for cleaning.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

I use the Corsair Air 540.

The only dust filter is on the front which is for intake,

Haven't had a problem with heat build up and haven't noticed any dust build up in my case for the past 4 months that I've had it.

Although I have cleaned off my dust filter 3 times so far.

vallonen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vallonen
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@Elann2008 said:

1. Just buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416690676&sr=8-1&keywords=pc+air+duster+device

Great tip, thanks.

I use the Fractal Design ARC Midi R2.

It's an open case with good airflow I don't have to use any intake or exhaust fans to keep the components cool, this also helps to keep noise to a minimum. I'm fairly happy with it.

I don't get any dust buildup apart from a thin coating of dust that will show up if I don't clean it in time, it doesn't seem to matter if I use dust filters or not either, a thin coating will always appear after a while.

All in all there's three fans in the system, four if you include the PSU, but its fan tend to not be spinning.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Panty hose will work wonders. Very cheap, blocks dust but not air. You just have to be a bit creative with how to attach it. And they come in different colors to match your case. . .

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Elann2008

@Qixote said:

Panty hose will work wonders. Very cheap, blocks dust but not air. You just have to be a bit creative with how to attach it. And they come in different colors to match your case. . .

That's pretty creative. :o)

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Elann2008

@vallonen said:

@Elann2008 said:

Great tip, thanks.

I use the Fractal Design ARC Midi R2.

It's an open case with good airflow I don't have to use any intake or exhaust fans to keep the components cool, this also helps to keep noise to a minimum. I'm fairly happy with it.

I don't get any dust buildup apart from a thin coating of dust that will show up if I don't clean it in time, it doesn't seem to matter if I use dust filters or not either, a thin coating will always appear after a while.

All in all there's three fans in the system, four if you include the PSU, but its fan tend to not be spinning.

Thanks!

That's a nice looking case. Simple and clean.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I leave all the fan filters, keeps it easier to clean when I have to. I don't like opening my computer if I don't have to.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I don't bother. Case netting already gets dusty enough, its doing its job. 1 intake, 1 outtake, I don't go crazy with cooling solution, and it doesn't get all caked with dust either without cleaning. Yeah I'm that lazy and it works fine for me. I'm sure I could shave 5c with a proper setup and maint though.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

@Elann2008: i have been looking for something like that. Now can I find it in Norway?!?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I have ones on top and below side of my case. I clean the dust of them every month or so(or when I remember to). But you guys are right, I might remove them altogether.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Elann2008

@horgen said:

@Elann2008: i have been looking for something like that. Now can I find it in Norway?!?

:D

I hope you find it!

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

You sure it's not just the game over running your GPU? If other games don't make the fans rev so high then maybe you should do some tests to see if the games maybe running okay on your GPU. Would suck to play it and find out you'd been almost 100% GPU usage that lead to your card melting/skrewing up/

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

@Elann2008 said:

@horgen said:

:D

I hope you find it!

I can't find anything like it. I'll bookmark the page and buy it from US one day when I got the money for it. Shipping costs will be high =/

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I only use them on the intake and use a static pressure fan.

Lots of hair and some dust build up... Better to block it then to let it into your case.

DustPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DustPC
Member since 2016 • 6 Posts

I use the PC dust filter, because without the dust my PC have low temperature CPU and GPU. http://www.dustend.com

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

Yes, because I have a cat and I smoke. Pet hair and ash can kill your PC faster over time.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#30 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17811 Posts

If you have your case closed, you will get more dust than an open case. The filters definitely make a difference with a closed case. Yes, they do restrict air flow, but my Fractal Design Refine R5 seems to work good with the filters it came with.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@GTR12 said:

I like my vacuum cleaner just fine for cleaning.

I also use vacuum cleaner in my build.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

I have one filter on the front bottom cuz where most dust coming in, but the top where by the cd driver had big opened gap to let air in that has no filter... my pc always get air and it isn't much fan noise. blowing out dust once every whenever I feel like it, 3 months, 6 months?.. I take good care of my pc, I built it so gotta love it.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Can we lock this mods? its a year old.