Do you play as a female character?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts
In many MMOs Iv'e played I see a lot of male gamers play as female. Why is that? I'm not sexist or anything when it comes to choosing a character, I just choose male to make things less complicated and the fact I feel like a pervert when I'm playing a female character.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts
Not if I can help it. When I play games, I try to immerse myself as much as I can into the game. If I'm a chick in a game, the gender of my character breaks my illusion of the game being a "real" universe. I've never wanted to be a woman, not in real life and not in games. Well, I lied, I'd love to be a woman for a day. The things I would do... Oh my.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
i dont for the same reason as mrlions. i think guys play as girls in mmos since people always blindly donate to girls lol.
adrake4183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 adrake4183
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts
I always play as a guy because I like to think of my characters as myself. I always try to make them look like me too if possible. Having siad that one of my favorite games is no one lives forever. I was really hot in that game. :)
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

sometimes.

for some reason i had to play dungeon siege as a woman. i think it was the promotion stuff but it just didnt feel right playing as anythign esle but the red haird lady from the promotional vids. odd i know.

in guild wars i have 4 guys and 4 gals. i generally did that for armour visuals preference. there was no way i was playing as a guy paragon :P.

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

Many Men Online Role Playing Girls.

:P

In non-online RPGs, my first playthrough is always as a male character. If I decide to do a second playthrough, it's usually as a female character to see if the game plays any differently.

gs_gear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gs_gear
Member since 2006 • 3237 Posts
Yes..... when I play Tomb Raider. :P
lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

I don't have a problem with it. When I have multiple characters sometimes I'll choose to make a female character for the sake of variety. Nothing seems perverse about that. Aside from that I often choose names that make my gender obvious as to avoid confusion. I don't know about others though. So I can't say for sure why others choose to play as female characters, but again I see nothing wrong with it.

Its also a habit among women to make male characters. This does not happen as often as men choosing to make female characters for the obvious reason that demographically more men play video games than women. As for why the reason I hear the most is avoidance of sexual harassment. Someone is less likely to suspect a male character is female than a female character is male.

zyndex171

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zyndex171
Member since 2006 • 102 Posts

Many Men Online Role Playing Girls.

:P

In non-online RPGs, my first playthrough is always as a male character. If I decide to do a second playthrough, it's usually as a female character to see if the game plays any differently.

RobbieH1234

Haha...that's de way to put it!!!:D

The reason y there so many boys playing girls bcoz the characters maker make women model more attractive and sexiest than the men.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

This question comes up from time to time and I honestly don't see what the problem is. I get the impression that most of the people who are dishing about the hate about playing as a girl are simply insecure about their own sexuality.

For me it all depends on the game and/or appearance. For example, in World of Warcraft all of the human males look like they spend most of the day in the gym. In my minds eye this does not fit the look of a mage. Because of that the mage I played was female. The rest of my characters ended up being female because most of the male faces I saw looked like they are constipated and grumpy.

Strifebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Strifebringer
Member since 2007 • 781 Posts
I play as both. You can immerse yourself a little more as a male character, I guess, but if I play a game long enough(GW for example) I don't like certain male classes. The females sometimes look a lot more badass.
wslacker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wslacker2
Member since 2007 • 1192 Posts
nOT SURE IF THIS IS VALID YET, BUT i'D LOVE TO PLAY A WOMAN NAMED cATIE BRIE IN THE fORGOTTEN rEALMS/dUNGEONS AND dRAGONS UNIVERSE. Sorry about caps, but that woman can fight. Great with her bow with never-ending arrows and Taulmaril, her wicked-demon posessed sword.
eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
I really like to play KOTOR 1 and 2 as a chick. I think it is fun to bring the hammer down on bigger dudes when I a chick.....Oh man that sounds gay
kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts
I only play as a female when I don't have a choice. Even then, I just pretend it's some emo kid.
augustlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 augustlight
Member since 2008 • 400 Posts
I wouldn't pretend to be a woman in an MMO, BUT I would play as a female character and let people know that I'm not a woman, lest I be harassed by adolescent boys that don't understand that I look nothing like my avatar in real life. Why do I play as a female character? Because they're nicer to look at. Simple as that.
draticon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 draticon
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts

I think most ppl decide on how the starting character looks and sounds. Its more realistic to play the gender you are though.

Ppl who strip off their female chars give others a bad name.

hibikino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 hibikino
Member since 2004 • 666 Posts

I do play as female character, sometimes.

Most recent was Mass Effect, it doesn't feel the same when I play as the male character...

Managed to playthough the game, though

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I sometimes dislike the animations for the male characters.

In MMO's i sometimes like making rare combinations for the heck of it, like my female dwarven warrior in WoW.

concord9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 concord9
Member since 2003 • 949 Posts
I really don't get what the problem is. Usually I play barb characters as male and casting/elementalist/sorceress chars as female. I dunno those combos kinda fit better.
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts
I have used female characters before. MMOs often have terrible role-playing so I can't imagine myself in the shoes of the character even if it was a male.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Well, I generally prefer to play male characters (I'm male, myself), but then, one of my utmost favorite characters that I love playing as is Cate Archer in NOLF.

In games where you choose your gender and you basically are the character (like Oblivion), I tried being female and I didn't have a connection to my character anymore. So in those cases, I do prefer to be male. But give me a female to play where you're controlling the character (as opposed to being the character) and she's cool like Cate Archer, and I've got no issue.

MasterVlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MasterVlad
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts

Yes, in Diablo II, as sorceress and assassin, because I didn't had a choice to change the gender (but that won't be a problem in Diablo III as I hear).

A long time ago, I played MuOnline, with all characters, including the elf witch was a girl.

I have no problems about playing a female character, but I prefer the male ones, because I am a male.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

It doesn't make difference for me. Gender is only a label in most games, and the only noticeable difference is the image. It doesn't make me feel like a pervert playing one, nor should it make you. I don't recall stopping in a middle of a Diablo II game to check out how sexy my Sorceress was (though, I do remember a friend of mine showing off how sexy his Rogue was in Diablo I) . I played No One Lives Forever II, Beyong Good and Evil and Oni as females; I'm also currently playing the Dungeon Siege single player campaign, and all my character are female. Not in any of those games have I had a hormonic problem due to the characters being female.

...*omits justification for buying Dead or Alive for Xbox*

tester962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tester962
Member since 2004 • 2881 Posts

My characters on WOW were typically 75 percent female but thats mainly because all the male characters look terrible. Most mmo's though I find myself playing female characters... playing a male character just doesnt usually peak my interest. No real particular reason why that I can think of just the way I play the game. I dont lie about my gender though to anyone in game and I dont take donations of any sort so that wouldent be a reason.

Grim_Wolf88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grim_Wolf88
Member since 2006 • 901 Posts
I usually play as a female character. They just seem as if they have more potential and depth especially in role-playing and I have an easier time fleshing out my character's story. All my male characters have turned out rather poorly and they are really shallow.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Depends totally on the looks of the character, in WOW I play as both male and female, nothing to do with real life, its just a game, who cares.
Avatar image for hippiegamergirl
hippiegamergirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hippiegamergirl
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts

Yes because I am female irl.

^_______________^

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
I did in Jade Emire because she was the fast and agile one and i like to play as those kind of characters...those or the big hulking Tank-like ones.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Yeah, sometimes.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

in guild wars i have 4 guys and 4 gals. i generally did that for armour visuals preference. there was no way i was playing as a guy paragon :P.

osan0

I'm the same, although I do have a male paragon - simply because they've got the best beards.

Anyway, I don't mind playing as a female character, simply because I like inventing different personalities for my characters - why roleplay as a guy, or myself, all of the time?

Oh, and I think the great Greg Kasavin once said "If I'm going to be staring at my character's butt for hundreds of hours, it may as well be female". I mean, I don't play as female characters for some kind of voyeuristic entertainment - that's just an added bonus. ;)

Having said that, I always play as a guy the first time through any RPG, because I'll feel more 'connected' to the character.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I play as a female sometimes. Normally after I've played a male character. For example, in my first play through of Mass Effect I played a Male Soldier and went as a Paragon. My second character I created was a Female Vanguard and went Renegade.
I like to mix things up a bit.
lulzshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lulzshock
Member since 2008 • 40 Posts
Im willing to play as either. Like on MGO i have a male and a female character. To me its just a game, and i just play who ever i feel like.
CavalAnts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CavalAnts
Member since 2008 • 398 Posts
Usually i play with the male char, but when the male char looks too homo then i play with female char. Elf males usually look gay
Skull338

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Skull338
Member since 2006 • 477 Posts
Most of the time i play male characters as i am male. But sometimes i do play female characters, for instance when the male character looks naff :P
wackys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#35 wackys
Member since 2005 • 1315 Posts
I do in CRPGs not MMORPGs.The reason behind this is to explore the alternate options available and I only do it when I have completed the game with a male.It's simple as that for me.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Sometimes I do.
alnors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 alnors
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts
i play as both
Avatar image for deactivated-5c20477a5e387
deactivated-5c20477a5e387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5c20477a5e387
Member since 2003 • 4291 Posts

I only play as a female when the alternative is playing as an androgynous queer Hence, my Blood Elf in WoW was female.

Oh, and yes, when it comes to single player RPGs, I usually try out a female character on my second or third playthrough.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Say what you want. Pervert or not, I'd much rather look a hot babes when I play. Its still very enjoyable.

Here are my characters:

hooded1man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hooded1man
Member since 2004 • 1099 Posts

Ive got a lot of friends that played/still play WoW, and they all have girl characters. Apparently there to manly to look at men's asses.

Like the guy above me lol it just cracks me up. They aren't babes...

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Ive got a lot of friends that played/still play WoW, and they all have girl characters. Apparently there to manly to look at men's asses.

Like the guy above me lol it just cracks me up. They aren't babes...

hooded1man

You're just mad because you can't get with 'em. ;)

JessMyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JessMyz
Member since 2008 • 42 Posts

Maybe dudes actually think wehen they are playing multi player that a female character will ditract their male couterparts-anything to get an edge.

Silly, silly boys

EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts
Only in singleplayer. Sometimes I get those mods with the nudity to make it easier for both of us but it works out. It's a good relationship.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Unless there is serious role-playing involved I generally always play as female characters.
Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts
No...just...no
mudflaps2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mudflaps2001
Member since 2006 • 109 Posts
I tend to make my first toon a male in the MMOs I've played. I have made female toons to change things up as well - it gets old looking at the same character model all the time.
Memoryitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 Memoryitis
Member since 2006 • 2221 Posts
Free stuff? If you try hard enough you can use your female char to ask for stuff from other people. My lame friend does that in Maplestory and he gets a buttload of free stuff
Hz-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hz-7
Member since 2006 • 343 Posts

In many MMOs Iv'e played I see a lot of male gamers play as female. Why is that? I'm not sexist or anything when it comes to choosing a character, I just choose male to make things less complicated and the fact I feel like a pervert when I'm playing a female character.MrLions

well, I am a pervert. so I just roll with it. female characters are a nice change sometimes.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
Nope.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

Well I don't play MMOs, so I don't generally play as a female character. In FPS games, I usually don't have the option, and in RPG games (if you can create your own character), I usually try to immerse myself in the game as much as possible and create a character that reminds me of myself. But I'll admit, if I get the chance to play as a female character in FPS games (usually only in Multiplayer), playing as a female is actually my preference because then when I frag everyone, I can laugh at them and say, "Hahaha you got pwned by a girl!" :P

I did something similar to that with Halo 2. My cousins and I had a LAN party and we were playing a Slayer gametype (no teams), but I had the option to choose my color, so I picked pink armor. :D Of course, my cousins started laughing like crazy, but after I completely dominated them, it was I who was laughing. ;)