Do gaming laptops serve any logical purpose?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

I have always wondered this. What exactly is the reason for people buy extremely expensive gaming laptops? The cons far outweigh the cons. Consider the following:-

• If you consider a desktop and a laptop which are equally powerful, then the laptop obviously costs MUCH more than the desktop.
  • When it comes to gaming, the comfort offered by a desktop is obviously much better than laptops.
  • Laptops can never have a big screen or 5.1 surround sound, like in Desktops. I know that some laptops offer virtual surround, but that doesn't really compare with an actual surround speaker setup.
  • The main advantage which most people mention with respect to a laptop, is its portability. For a gaming laptop, it makes sense only if you're able to connect it to a power supply while on the move. If not, the battery drains within minutes if you play high end games.

In spite of so many disadvantages, why do people still go for high end gaming laptops?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I have always wondered this. What exactly is the reason for people buy extremely expensive gaming laptops? The cons far outweigh the cons. Consider the following:-

• If you consider a desktop and a laptop which are equally powerful, then the laptop obviously costs MUCH more than the desktop.
  • When it comes to gaming, the comfort offered by a desktop is obviously much better than laptops.
  • Laptops can never have a big screen or 5.1 surround sound, like in Desktops. I know that some laptops offer virtual surround, but that doesn't really compare with an actual surround speaker setup.
  • The main advantage which most people mention with respect to a laptop, is its portability. For a gaming laptop, it makes sense only if you're able to connect it to a power supply while on the move. If not, the battery drains within minutes if you play high end games.

In spite of so many disadvantages, why do people still go for high end gaming laptops?

funkyzoom

Why not? I see a lot of students in campus with gaming laptops (including myself). There's plenty of places in campus where one can sit down and have access to AC power. I'd type up a report and print it out to the library printer via web service. After that, I'd have a round of Far Cry 3/Mass Effect until the next class.

My laptop has a res of only 1366x768. It may sound small. But, on my laptop's 14" screen, it's fine enough. At that res, even Crysis 3 is playable at HIgh with framerates mostly in the mid-upper 30's. All three Mass Effect games run maxed out at 60fps. Sure, it cost me $800. I could've bought a new video card or CPU/mobo if I wanted to. But, my current rig hasn't quite run out of steam yet. So, a gaming laptop it is. :lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Maybe if you live in a dorm. That's the only use case I can think of.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

They're much more reasonable now than before, can be quite useful if you are on a low budget and get a 15in gaming laptop and not any larger. (Low budget meaning deciding between a laptop or desktop, but not both)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7287/analyzing-the-price-of-mobility-desktops-vs-laptops

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jun_aka_pekto

Gaming laptops are certainly good for trips. I recently spent some time at Detroit Wayne Metro (International) Airport and most of the gates have long desks with chairs and electric outlets in addition to AC/USB chargers among the regular chairs. Granted, I bought a relatively cheap laptop. But, the same philosophy applies to the more expensive ones. Many places are becoming friendlier to the mobile crowd.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

I built this pc in my sig and ordered a gaming laptop when haswell released. I go away for work here and there and were always doing family trips. Around xmas time ill be on the road for 2 weeks and we frequently stay with family for an extended weekend.My wife needed a new laptop so I figured Id just go all out and make it useful for the both of us.

Money isn't really a barrier for me so this year I finally bought the gaming laptop as well. So far Ive only used it for one weekend but I have a few trips coming up and itll get used.

I play Metro last light, civ5, SWTOR and will be playing Rome2 on the laptop. I also played a game of Dota2 on it but I probably will stay away from competitive games because I prefer the desktop KBM setup.

That being said, I would not get the laptop if it was my only computer. But 1500 bucks for a i7 4700MQ, AMD 8970M, 16gb ram, and and awesome display didnt seem so bad.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I'd say they're a good deal for people who travel a lot, definitely not a great choice for homebodies though.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jun_aka_pekto

I play Metro last light, civ5, SWTOR and will be playing Rome2 on the laptop. I also played a game of Dota2 on it but I probably will stay away from competitive games because I prefer the desktop KBM setup.

ankor77

Mine has a slower GPU (GTX 660m) But, at 1366x768, it's plenty fast. I have the following games installed:

Hard Reset - maxed out

Metro Last Light - High, SSAA off

Napoleon: Total War - maxed out

Sid Mier's Civ V - maxed out

Far Cry 3 - combination of High/Very High/Ultra/2xMSAA/SSAO

Crysis 2 - DX11/Ultra/No Hi-res Textures

Crysis 3 - Medium/2xSMAA (I can bump it up to High/2xSMAA or Medium/4xSMAA outside of the grass levels)

Mass Effect - maxed out

Mass Effect 2 - maxed out

Mass Effect 3 - maxed out

Bioshock 1 - maxed out

Command & Conquer 3 - maxed out

Not bad at all......

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

funkyzoom

what laptops have you been using?

Besides, I game with headphones on.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I have both a desktop and laptop and yes, they do have a purpose. 

When it comes to gaming, the comfort offered by a desktop is obviously much better than laptops. Laptops can never have a big screen or 5.1 surround sound, like in Desktops. I know that some laptops offer virtual surround, but that doesn't really compare with an actual surround speaker setup.funkyzoom

• I plug my laptop into my 47" TV in the lounge so - TV, Surround Sound, Sofa. ;)  Can sit with my friends and play games like Grid 2 split screen in comfort.  I know you can do this with a desktop bit it's a bloody pain to move.  
  • I can take my laptop round a friends for LAN games, playing co-op in the same room etc. without the hassle of lugging my desktop around. 
  • When I'm working away or travelling I can play all my PC games (maxed out most of the time still as well)! 
  • I can have a cheeky session on my lunch break in the office. 
  • I can still sit with the mrs in whatever room she happens to be and chat while I play a game. 

I do already have a non-gaming purpose for owning a very powerful laptop and desktop though so the cost of making them game capable as well is not so bad.  After having both though I'd still be tempted to splash out if they where purely for gaming.  

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
not really they are big heavy and run out of juice in no time, they are no good as a laptop and cost way more than a desktop for less performance. I'd rather get a small lan box than a "gaming" laptop. but who says you can't plug it into a tv and hook up the 5.1 sound? You can get a decent laptop that will run all no game apps fine and a gaming desktop for less than a real gaming laptop.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

Gaming laptops are certainly good for trips. I recently spent some time at Detroit Wayne Metro (International) Airport and most of the gates have long desks with chairs and electric outlets in addition to AC/USB chargers among the regular chairs. Granted, I bought a relatively cheap laptop. But, the same philosophy applies to the more expensive ones. Many places are becoming friendlier to the mobile crowd.

jun_aka_pekto
a gaming laptop isn't much good for a trip, way to big to take anywhere, just get a decent 15" laptop with a midrange gpu, it will run most games ok. gaming laptops are only good where they spend most of the time on a desk by a power point. Plus games are much more fun when played at home than on the road, phone/tablet games are now good enough to leave the gaming laptop behind.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

I use my Asus G75VX (which was a refurbished model, perfect condition) for work and gaming when I have to leave the city for work elsewhere. This laptop is insanely more powerful than the sh!tpc i have to use at work, so using AutoCAD on large projects and then having it with me to finalize or give info to coworkers when I'm away is awesome! :D When all is done, a few rounds of BF3 doesn't hurt :P

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

imprezawrx500
a gaming laptop isn't much good for a trip, way to big to take anywhere, just get a decent 15" laptop with a midrange gpu, it will run most games ok. gaming laptops are only good where they spend most of the time on a desk by a power point. Plus games are much more fun when played at home than on the road, phone/tablet games are now good enough to leave the gaming laptop behind.

I agree that gaming is much more enjoyable at home. I'll never have any interest in mobile computers just because I don't feel the need to have one with me at all times.
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts
If you are tied to one place desktops are good but I move around a lot work, travel etc. It is far superior in this case, granted I have the specs in my sig but the games I play work great on high medium settings with high fps. Possibly going to upgrade it but also planing a desktop just for fun.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

imprezawrx500

My 14" ASUS G46VW is just right. It's not big or heavy at all unlike my old Toshiba 15.4" or my wife's Sager. When we travel, it's usually a 2-3 week cross country road trip or a month-long trip abroad. When we stop travel, we usually stay at a motel or with friends/relatives aka our temporary home away from home. The gaming laptop is perfect because I still get to play the PC games I usually play on the desktop. I think it's more viable now especially now with the likes of Steam/Origin/Ubiplay. All my desktop PC games (aside from the flight sims) are also in my laptop.     

Actually, I have a tablet for times when I putt-putt around town or go to the mall (the kind of trips you were envisioning). Sometimes, I'll sub my netbook for the tablet if I have some work to do while on the move. 

My 14" ASUS isn't that big at all compared to my old Toshiba and I used to lug around the latter all day.

Old Toshiba 15.4" laptop left, 10.1" netbook middle, ASUS 14" laptop right:

0NV80gE.jpg 

In the bigger scheme of things...... I like gaming laptops. But, would I give up my gaming desktop for it? Heck no.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#17 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Travel is definitely a good reason. However I'd much sooner go midrange gaming laptop because the powerful ones are 17", thick, and heavy as hell. They're pretty much the exact opposite of portable (even today's 15.6" laptops are too big, but most people just dump them on a desk anyway). 13 or 14" laptop with a decent GPU and you're set. Pair that with a nice desktop at home and you've got the best of both worlds - and you can do both of them for the price of a fancy 17 incher.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AlexKidd5000
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Travel is definitely a good reason. However I'd much sooner go midrange gaming laptop because the powerful ones are 17", thick, and heavy as hell. They're pretty much the exact opposite of portable (even today's 15.6" laptops are too big, but most people just dump them on a desk anyway). 13 or 14" laptop with a decent GPU and you're set. Pair that with a nice desktop at home and you've got the best of both worlds - and you can do both of them for the price of a fancy 17 incher.

Agreed.
bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

However I'd much sooner go midrange gaming laptop because the powerful ones are 17", thick, and heavy as hell. .DJ_Lae
Mine is 15.6 and plays nearly everything maxed out at 1080p. :) You don't really need to go 17" these days unless you want crossfire, SLI or extra storage drives. Sure, it's not an Ultrabook, but it's pretty portable and not that heavy.

IMG_0106_zps37ff2c8d.jpg

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
They don't appeal to me at all, but to each their own. For me, gaming is something I do at home on my PC, when I'm out and about I do other things.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AlexKidd5000
They don't appeal to me at all, but to each their own. For me, gaming is something I do at home on my PC, when I'm out and about I do other things.PernicioEnigma
Yeah same here. I actually took my desktop with me 300 miles to visit my dad one time though lol.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

Portability will always be their main thing. If you move from one place to another in decent intervals a laptop destroys a desktop. Obviously I know a lot of people that, for example, buy gaming handhelds just to play them at home. :P

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#24 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I always go for gaming lappies over desktops. I find sitting on my recliner and gaming much more comfy than having to sit at a desk.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
I always go for gaming lappies over desktops. I find sitting on my recliner and gaming much more comfy than having to sit at a desk.Allicrombie
I see a burnt lap in your future.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlexKidd5000
I always go for gaming lappies over desktops. I find sitting on my recliner and gaming much more comfy than having to sit at a desk.Allicrombie
Get a better desk chair then!
IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
Or be like me and do the same thing except with a pc hooked up to a 60" Plasma.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jun_aka_pekto

If you do a lot of travelling, you'll see many airports, terminals, and other facilities are mobile-friendly now. Colleges/universities too. It sure surprised me.

Edit:

Not too long ago, I was also a big proponent of desktop gaming PCs only. But, things change. I'm more receptive to laptop gaming, especially with the decent, lower cost ones. My main beef was the price of entry. But, that price has been going down.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funkyzoom

If you do a lot of travelling, you'll see many airports, terminals, and other facilities are mobile-friendly now. Colleges/universities too. It sure surprised me.

Edit:

Not too long ago, I was also a big proponent of desktop gaming PCs only. But, things change. I'm more receptive to laptop gaming, especially with the decent, lower cost ones. My main beef was the price of entry. But, that price has been going down.

jun_aka_pekto

Your statements hold true ONLY if you can plug your laptop into a power outlet while gaming. If not, your battery drains completely within minutes while gaming.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AlexKidd5000

Edit:

jun_aka_pekto
I still need the ability to fully customize, and build my desktop PC, can't do that with a laptop. And last I checked, laptop hardware is not nearly as fast as the desktop counter parts, as well as costing nearly twice as much. Like a Radeon HD 6990 for laptops was only about as fast as a lowly 6870 for desktops. Correct me if I am wrong, I have not kept up with laptops in years.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Edit:

AlexKidd5000

I still need the ability to fully customize, and build my desktop PC, can't do that with a laptop. And last I checked, laptop hardware is not nearly as fast as the desktop counter parts, as well as costing nearly twice as much. Like a Radeon HD 6990 for laptops was only about as fast as a lowly 6870 for desktops. Correct me if I am wrong, I have not kept up with laptops in years.

No one doubts a desktop PC is more powerful and far more customizable than a laptop. That's why my gaming laptop is still secondary to my gaming PC. But, the only two choices I have to play my PC games on the road/away from home is to either lug my gaming PC with me or bring along a gaming laptop. Lugging that desktop PC gets old after a while. 

3 weeks to a month without playing my PC games and I really start to miss them... :lol:

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Edit:

funkyzoom

Your statements hold true ONLY if you can plug your laptop into a power outlet while gaming. If not, your battery drains completely within minutes while gaming.

Well, yeah. When we go on trips, I usually drive all day. The only time I get to play is when we check into a motel for the night. If you mean short trips around town, I have a tablet/netbook/PSP for that.

Every college campus I've been to have power outlets galore. The people there know students have laptops and tablets and not all of them have sufficient battery time. They've made it a point to acommodate those people. 

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AlexKidd5000

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Edit:

jun_aka_pekto

No one doubts a desktop PC is more powerful and far more customizable than a laptop. That's why my gaming laptop is still secondary to my gaming PC. But, the only two choices I have to play my PC games on the road/away from home is to either lug my gaming PC with me or bring along a gaming laptop. Lugging that desktop PC gets old after a while. 

3 weeks to a month without playing my PC games and I really start to miss them... :lol:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, a laptop is good to have around, but I just feel like I'd be wasting moolah on one, even when I owned a netbook, I never took it anywhere, maybe into the kitchen when I did dishes, and was making food or something lol (until it over heated and died...). I don't travel alot at all either so, yeah lol.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"] I still need the ability to fully customize, and build my desktop PC, can't do that with a laptop. And last I checked, laptop hardware is not nearly as fast as the desktop counter parts, as well as costing nearly twice as much. Like a Radeon HD 6990 for laptops was only about as fast as a lowly 6870 for desktops. Correct me if I am wrong, I have not kept up with laptops in years.AlexKidd5000

Yeah, don't get me wrong, a laptop is good to have around, but I just feel like I'd be wasting moolah on one, even when I owned a netbook, I never took it anywhere, maybe into the kitchen when I did dishes, and was making food or something lol (until it over heated and died...). I don't travel alot at all either so, yeah lol.

That's fine. If I didn't travel around too much, I wouldn't have a gaming laptop either. In fact, I never did until I got the ASUS. I got tired of being bored with every trip we took.

I also wouldn't have a gaming laptop if the price was too much (like say, $1500). My threshold is $800. When I saw that ASUS for $799, I bit. 

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AlexKidd5000

jun_aka_pekto

That's fine. If I didn't travel around too much, I wouldn't have a gaming laptop either. In fact, I never did until I got the ASUS. I got tired of being bored with every trip we took.

Oh yeah, uif I had to go on boring trips, I'd want a laptop too.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
Gaming laptops are pretty cool, I have an Asus G75-vw and it hold its own during games just fine. Honestly though the thing is massive, I brought it with me on a school trip (flew to other side of state and had my own hotel room so I figured why not.) and it was pretty unpleasant to lug the thing around with a textbook and other belongings. It's nice if my girlfriend wants to use the TV (where my gaming rig is hooked up) that I can just play Skyrim or w.e on the laptop next to her on the couch with a PS3 controller. I also have a smaller 15.6inch Lenovo with an i5 if I need to bring a computer on the go. Though the i5 kinda chugs when using any CAD software
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17888 Posts
im actually mulling over whether to get a new high end laptop or desktop. if i knew i was staying in one place for a long time then it would be a desktop no question. but i need to be able to live out of a laptop bag and 2 suitcases due to work (working on getting it down to one suitcase :P). i cant see how i can make a desktop work in my situation. my current desktop is in mothballs at the moment. i would prefer to spend the money on a desktop. again with the real life getting in the way of more important things :(.
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 funkyzoom

jun_aka_pekto

I also wouldn't have a gaming laptop if the price was too much (like say, $1500). My threshold is $800. When I saw that ASUS for $799, I bit. 

One more MAJOR disadvantage with laptops is the inability to upgrade the most important parts. You can only upgrade the hard disk and RAM, but you're stuck with the stock processor and graphics hardware. It really sucks when your expensive gaming laptop becomes obsolete after a few years, and the only way out is to bguy a new one. But in case of a desktop, you can upgrade individual components as and when you feel they're outdated.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"] Yeah, don't get me wrong, a laptop is good to have around, but I just feel like I'd be wasting moolah on one, even when I owned a netbook, I never took it anywhere, maybe into the kitchen when I did dishes, and was making food or something lol (until it over heated and died...). I don't travel alot at all either so, yeah lol.funkyzoom

One more MAJOR disadvantage with laptops is the inability to upgrade the most important parts. You can only upgrade the hard disk and RAM, but you're stuck with the stock processor and graphics hardware. It really sucks when your expensive gaming laptop becomes obsolete after a few years, and the only way out is to bguy a new one. But in case of a desktop, you can upgrade individual components as and when you feel they're outdated.

A desktop gaming PC would always have the advantage over a gaming laptop. But, let's face it. There's no other option to play your PC games away from home short of bringing your desktop PC/laptop with you. That or maintain multiple gaming PCs at different locations.

Me? I have the luxury of playing on a desktop gaming PC away from home depending on which relative I visit. Still, in this era of Steam, Origin, Ubiplay, it's not always advisable to play your games on someone else's PC.

I thought like you did. But, the question of how to play my PC games away from home kept coming up. Eventually, I concluded (as a lot of people here have already known before me) that a gaming laptop is a good complement to a gaming PC. 

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AlexKidd5000

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

jun_aka_pekto

A desktop gaming PC would always have the advantage over a gaming laptop. But, let's face it. There's no other option to play your PC games away from home short of bringing your desktop PC/laptop with you. That or maintain multiple gaming PCs at different locations.

Me? I have the luxury of playing on a desktop gaming PC away from home depending on which relative I visit. Still, in this era of Steam, Origin, Ubiplay, it's not always advisable to play your games on someone else's PC.

I thought like you did. But, the question of how to play my PC games away from home kept coming up. Eventually, I concluded (as a lot of people here have already known before me) that a gaming laptop is a good complement to a gaming PC. 

I agree thats the only solution in your case. The freedom, and full customization of a desktop is what will keep me from ever letting go of it. Which is why all the talk of "mobile smartphone-like devices will eventually replace desktops, laptops, and consoles that you can dock anywhere there is a monitor and M/KB" annoys me quite a bit. Why would I want a handheld device that is completely static, and limited in terms of hardware? I hate buying computers that have a preconfigured fixed hardware setup with no upgrade options, like a game console. I mean yeah, those things are great for people that actually benefit from the mobility, but I don't. I prefer to keep my freedom thank you.
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

AlexKidd5000

I agree thats the only solution in your case. The freedom, and full customization of a desktop is what will keep me from ever letting go of it. Which is why all the talk of "mobile smartphone-like devices will eventually replace desktops, laptops, and consoles that you can dock anywhere there is a monitor and M/KB" annoys me quite a bit. Why would I want a handheld device that is completely static, and limited in terms of hardware? I hate buying computers that have a preconfigured fixed hardware setup with no upgrade options, like a game console. I mean yeah, those things are great for people that actually benefit from the mobility, but I don't. I prefer to keep my freedom thank you.

Same case with me. Even if I have to travel a lot which keeps me away from my desktop, I can't even imagine myself playing games on a laptop, unless its something like Solitaire. While traveling, I'd rather prefer playing games on my PSP (or Vita, which I'm planning to buy) than a laptop. And I too just hate pre-configured PCs. I'd like to carefully handpick all PC components so that I can get the best price-to-performance ratio, then build the PC myself.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jun_aka_pekto

funkyzoom

Same case with me. Even if I have to travel a lot which keeps me away from my desktop, I can't even imagine myself playing games on a laptop, unless its something like Solitaire. While traveling, I'd rather prefer playing games on my PSP (or Vita, which I'm planning to buy) than a laptop. And I too just hate pre-configured PCs. I'd like to carefully handpick all PC components so that I can get the best price-to-performance ratio, then build the PC myself.

I don't see where the hate for preconfigured PCs come from when you're willing to put up with other preconfigured gadgets such as the PSP/Vita.

I too thought the same way. Then, I realized I had a lot of preconfigured gadgets of my own such as PS3/PSP/NDS/tablet. Why not add one more: gaming laptop.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"] I agree thats the only solution in your case. The freedom, and full customization of a desktop is what will keep me from ever letting go of it. Which is why all the talk of "mobile smartphone-like devices will eventually replace desktops, laptops, and consoles that you can dock anywhere there is a monitor and M/KB" annoys me quite a bit. Why would I want a handheld device that is completely static, and limited in terms of hardware? I hate buying computers that have a preconfigured fixed hardware setup with no upgrade options, like a game console. I mean yeah, those things are great for people that actually benefit from the mobility, but I don't. I prefer to keep my freedom thank you.jun_aka_pekto

I don't see where the hate for preconfigured PCs come from when you're willing to put up with other preconfigured gadgets such as the PSP/Vita.

I too thought the same way. Then, I realized I had a lot of preconfigured gadgets of my own such as PS3/PSP/NDS/tablet. Why not add one more: gaming laptop.

In case of PSP or Vita (I won't talk about home consoles like PS3 or XBox 360, because I prefer PC over them), there is no option to build it with personalized components. But for PC, I have that option. Also, the main thing is that in general (not only with respect to gaming), I find laptops really uncomfortable to use. It hurts my wrists while typing, and its especially painful to use the touchpad for long. Of course, this particular issue can be somewhat handled by attaching a mouse, but then again, you can't do that when using it on your lap while traveling - which means, it violates the very purpose of using laptops on your lap. Also, its a well known fact that desktops are always more ergonomical than laptops. I almost always use my home PC or work PC, and use my laptop only in case of emergency. Of course, I never consider games an emergency. This is my personal views with respect to laptops in general, and not only gaming on laptops. Also, PC games are developed keeping desktop PCs in mind, so they're usually very uncomfortable, inconvenient and cumbersome to play on laptops. Like you said, its alright to do it if you cannot stay away from gaming during travel. As for me, gaming is just a hobby and not a priority, so not being able to play games during travel isn't something I'd lose my sleep over, even if it was for a month or more. I'd rather stay away from games during travel, than attempt to game on a laptop while enduring a lot of discomfort, and possibly end up with severe nerve damage in my wrist or fingers.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Yes, gaming laptops serve a huge purpose for me. My Mythlogic laptop based on the Clevo P370 is a monster of a machine. What I like about it is when I am at home I can hook it up to my 32" inch monitor and have awesome performance. Then when I travel I still get awesome performance. 

Mythlogic NX 3712

17" Matte LCD Screen

Intel 3740QM - overclocked

2 X ATI 7970M - overclocked better then 8970M speeds

16GB RAM - Just upgraded

128GB MSATA Samsumg SSD

256GB Samsung 840 SSD 

Like I said this thing is a monster and it game like a monster. Some 3dMark scores below:

http://www.3dmark.com/is/532529 - Ice Strike

http://www.3dmark.com/cg/476651 - Cloud Gate

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/504919 - Fire Strike

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

funkyzoom

In case of PSP or Vita (I won't talk about home consoles like PS3 or XBox 360, because I prefer PC over them), there is no option to build it with personalized components. But for PC, I have that option. Also, the main thing is that in general (not only with respect to gaming), I find laptops really uncomfortable to use. It hurts my wrists while typing, and its especially painful to use the touchpad for long. Of course, this particular issue can be somewhat handled by attaching a mouse, but then again, you can't do that when using it on your lap while traveling - which means, it violates the very purpose of using laptops on your lap. Also, its a well known fact that desktops are always more ergonomical than laptops. I almost always use my home PC or work PC, and use my laptop only in case of emergency. Of course, I never consider games an emergency. This is my personal views with respect to laptops in general, and not only gaming on laptops. Also, PC games are developed keeping desktop PCs in mind, so they're usually very uncomfortable, inconvenient and cumbersome to play on laptops. Like you said, its alright to do it if you cannot stay away from gaming during travel. As for me, gaming is just a hobby and not a priority, so not being able to play games during travel isn't something I'd lose my sleep over, even if it was for a month or more. I'd rather stay away from games during travel, than attempt to game on a laptop while enduring a lot of discomfort, and possibly end up with severe nerve damage in my wrist or fingers.

I game more during trips because it means I'm on break and not working or attending classes. When I game on a laptop, it's usually placed on a desk or table. I also use a wireless keyboard n mouse, not the laptop's keyboard/touchpad. Gaming on it is just like gaming on my desktop PC albeit with a smaller screen. 

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

jun_aka_pekto

I game more during trips because it means I'm on break and not working or attending classes. When I game on a laptop, it's usually placed on a desk or table. I also use a wireless keyboard n mouse, not the laptop's keyboard/touchpad. Gaming on it is just like gaming on my desktop PC albeit with a smaller screen. 

Is that so? By 'trips', I actually thought that usually referred to business or official trips. Your posts seem to imply that you travel a lot, and its usually only for business or official trips that people travel so much. So, 'holiday' kind of trips are usually occasional for most people.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

i got this bad boy for $1000 http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y510p-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00CRXZSYQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1/187-6723873-4426012

i enjoy it very much. type up my homework, browse the internet an play most games on max settings anywhere, whether it be at home, work, or school. like someone said earlier, if you are a home body, then definitely you can make a better rig for cheaper. But if you are on the go like me, this is by far the best gaming pc you could get for $1000...i also got a free 3 year warranty with it. 

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

i got this bad boy for $1000 http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y510p-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00CRXZSYQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1/187-6723873-4426012

i enjoy it very much. type up my homework, browse the internet an play most games on max settings anywhere, whether it be at home, work, or school. like someone said earlier, if you are a home body, then definitely you can make a better rig for cheaper. But if you are on the go like me, this is by far the best gaming pc you could get for $1000...i also got a free 3 year warranty with it. 

ChiefvsGordon

Lenovo y510 is the best bang for the buck laptop on the market right now. Awesome laptop for the money.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AlexKidd5000

[QUOTE="ChiefvsGordon"]

Xabiss

Lenovo y510 is the best bang for the buck laptop on the market right now. Awesome laptop for the money.

Wow, thats still really expensive for the specs.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

funkyzoom

Is that so? By 'trips', I actually thought that usually referred to business or official trips. Your posts seem to imply that you travel a lot, and its usually only for business or official trips that people travel so much. So, 'holiday' kind of trips are usually occasional for most people.

I used to do a lot of business/official trips while I was active duty. I still needed a laptop although it was the non-gaming variety. Since I retired, I'm happy to say my current job keeps me in one place. However, we still go on trips whenever there's a 3-day weekend and during long holidays.

He He. Trust me. When you're the only guy in the household, the trips get boring really fast because most of the stuff we do are geared toward the gals (wife, daughters, mother-in-law). Playing my PC games helped so much. :lol: