Direct2drive or Steam, which do you prefer?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Direct2drive and Steam is quickly becoming equal in providing the same amount of games. Question is which site do you prefer?
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Steam.

in before "I like retail because of the manual."

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
STeam of course.. It has a complete UI and everything.. Direct2Drive has had compatability issues and is just a direct download.
BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts
D2D has a download limit so this is really a no brainer.
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

Steam.

in before "I like retail because of the manual."

Hewkii

I like retail because of the manual.

And the cool box and disc.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
I like Steam.
eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

The main difference between Steam and D2D is that Steam requires installation of software and a login to play the games. D2D has a small download manager, but once you download the game it is completely stand-alone. Some people, like myself, find it a bit off-putting to have to install this additional Steam software and have to connect. However, I recently started playing the Portal and Half-Life 2 games. The one big plus about Steam is the download speeds are exceptionally faster than D2D, especially if one is not patient. D2D games download off a third-party site (I think it's FilePlanet) and if you are not a member of that site you are subject to the same decrepit download speeds. This is something that D2D really needs to change in order to compete in the future. Otherwise, D2D is not a bad place to download very good games and their selection of games has grown quite large.

I'm still leery of Steam and will likely uninstall it once I've completed the Half-Life 2 series. Most of the other games on Steam I can get from D2D and I don't care about multi-player.

I couple of other notes about D2D is that although they do keep up and provide patches for the games, they don't always have the latest patch. However, this is not a problem for a lot of newer games like CIV IV and Company of Heroes, as these games are self-patching.

I think digital distribution of video games and self-updating games are the future of PC gaming. We may find at some point soon that it will be the only option for obtaining PC video games. As long as they work out some of the flaws, I think this is great.

siddhartha211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 siddhartha211
Member since 2005 • 252 Posts

I like self updates. I don't like being required to have internet connectivity.

So neither. I want the normal install.

EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts
I hate D2D. You have to download the stuff from Fileplanet and if you don't have a sub there you get crap speeds. Steam FTW.
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
steam definatly
JackLKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JackLKing
Member since 2004 • 107 Posts
Steam over direct to drive.....I prefer to go out and buy the game myself for the manual though..
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Steam, but I prefer retails :).
BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts

The main difference between Steam and D2D is that Steam requires installation of software and a login to play the games. D2D has a small download manager, but once you download the game it is completely stand-alone. Some people, like myself, find it a bit off-putting to have to install this additional Steam software and have to connect. However, I recently started playing the Portal and Half-Life 2 games. The one big plus about Steam is the download speeds are exceptionally faster than D2D, especially if one is not patient. D2D games download off a third-party site (I think it's FilePlanet) and if you are not a member of that site you are subject to the same decrepit download speeds. This is something that D2D really needs to change in order to compete in the future. Otherwise, D2D is not a bad place to download very good games and their selection of games has grown quite large.

I'm still leery of Steam and will likely uninstall it once I've completed the Half-Life 2 series. Most of the other games on Steam I can get from D2D and I don't care about multi-player.

I couple of other notes about D2D is that although they do keep up and provide patches for the games, they don't always have the latest patch. However, this is not a problem for a lot of newer games like CIV IV and Company of Heroes, as these games are self-patching.

I think digital distribution of video games and self-updating games are the future of PC gaming. We may find at some point soon that it will be the only option for obtaining PC video games. As long as they work out some of the flaws, I think this is great.

eclarkdog

You forgot that D2D has a download limit similar to what EA is trying to implement. Also, patching and online play can be very problematic.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Steam. I like having a quick launcher with a list of all my games and a full tracking community for my friends list.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
I suggest you stay away from D2D and all the other digital distributors like Trymedia at all costs. Steam is better but retail is the best option.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox
I suggest you stay away from D2D and all the other digital distributors like Trymedia at all costs. Steam is better but retail is the best option.Deihmos

I hear digital retail is better than brick and mortar retail.
edd678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 edd678
Member since 2006 • 3660 Posts
Steam by about a mile.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I love Steam to death, and don't really mind its occasional connection shenanigans.
Avatar image for deactivated-662c11bd61009
deactivated-662c11bd61009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-662c11bd61009
Member since 2008 • 111 Posts
Steam by far!
bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts
I prefer steam over all other DD but d2d and gamersgate are great to use if the game is only avaliable on those and not steam. Also note that you can download the pdf versions of the manual from steam,d2d,and gamersgate.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Steam. D2D is serviceable, but not comparable to Steam which goes above and beyond.
w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 w7w7w7w7w7
Member since 2006 • 4891 Posts
Steam.
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Every single answer have been toward Steam. If this is a reflection on the 15 million subscribers on Steam right now, its no wonder so many publishers are flocking to them.
oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
steam steam and steam
Gruug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gruug
Member since 2004 • 735 Posts

Direct2drive and Steam is quickly becoming equal in providing the same amount of games. Question is which site do you prefer?Jd1680a

Neither! I still prefer to get my games on a DVD in a box with a manual. Downloading means all you get is a game and maybe a PDF of the manual. And to save space, you may not get the manual. Plus, if any of those sites are down and I wish to reinstall a game then I have to wait. I know it is old school but I just like having the shiny disk in hand.

themovi3nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 themovi3nut
Member since 2007 • 946 Posts
Steam, however I prefer buying the actual as to downloading it.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
Steam.
Stevendawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Stevendawg
Member since 2006 • 500 Posts

Steam is an abosolutely incredible service and there's nothing like getting your game collection downloaded and auto-patched simply by downloading a small program, logging in, and pressing download.

I know some people hate it because of certain problems but I havn't had anything besides minor interface problems and they fixed them.

I don't like D2D, or anything else real similar.

Rougehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rougehunter
Member since 2004 • 5873 Posts
Steam, got STALKER on D2D it took them like 5 or 6 months to get the 1.5 patch. And they still dont have the 1.6.
Dan3721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Dan3721
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts

Steam, because the account will ALWAYS have the game on it. So you never worry about losing any keys or CD's. I dont know how D2D works, because ive never used it, but i have seen that they have some games that steam doesnt.

Steam also updates on the fly.

Steam doesnt take over xfires combatibility though.. if they joined forces, it would be one tough company to beat.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 foxhound_fox
Neither! I still prefer to get my games on a DVD in a box with a manual. Downloading means all you get is a game and maybe a PDF of the manual. And to save space, you may not get the manual. Plus, if any of those sites are down and I wish to reinstall a game then I have to wait. I know it is old school but I just like having the shiny disk in hand.Gruug

Or like with Steam you can just back up all your games to harddisk or dvd disk.
beckoflight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#32 beckoflight
Member since 2006 • 848 Posts
Steam ..1st you don't have to pay for a trip to the Retailer + you don't have to worry about scratching the discs or the oge of the disc or loosing them under the sofa ! :D
TheJGene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheJGene
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts

Satisfied Steam user here. Although we in Australia have a much smaller games catalogue available to us compared to US and other areas, it still offers a brilliant service. The interface is clean, friends list and other settings are easily maintained and I've never had a problem with having it running. Its the small things, like no download or install limits, that make all the difference. In comparison to EA and D2D, Steam is lightyears ahead.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#34 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Steam i like better, for some reason i also feel more safe with Steam, not sure why, but thats my opinion. If they got a bunch more games it would be perfect!

I also really like how you can RE-DOWNLOAD the games you bought right away if you had to reformat unexpectadly or what ever.

Also dont have to worry about losing the serial number/manual with steam which is nice (so many old games of mine that i have packed away dont have the serial with them so that always sucks)

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mracoon
Member since 2008 • 967 Posts
Steam
MikeO32989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MikeO32989
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I have been using Steam for quite some time now (since when HL2 came out). The biggest thing I didn't like about Steam is not having the choice where to put the games on the hard drive. It also doesn't allow downloading the actual game files to install yourself, it only downloads and installs the actual game itself.

I experimented a bit by buying a download game from EA and Eidos. EA was ok (Mass Effect), a download manager was required to download the game. There was a choice where to put the download itself and then of course when installing from that download, you could install the game where ever you wanted. When the downloadable content and patch came out for that game, it was no problem getting it.

Then I bought one from Eidos (TR Underworld). This experience has not been good. No download manager is required. Just download the game files where ever you want and then install the game. The problem came up when the recent patch was released. Well the Eidos site doesn't even mention patches for their download games at all (for any game). So a bit of trying to figure out where a patch could be turned out to be quite troublesome. To start, when I clicked on to buy the game, I got tranferred to Trymedia to pay. Then I got an email from gamesplanet.com with the links and code. Then my credit card gets billed from Metaboli FR. Too damn many hands to deal with. I email Eidos about info on the patch. They send some automated response that they don't have anything to do with it (and it's their game!) and to contact Trymedia. I contact Trymedia and their response was they never heard of me. I contact gamesplanet and get another automated response with a link to their website. I do see some patches there but none for Underworld yet.

Bottom line, I'll never buy another download game from Eidos. Terrible customer support, too many hands involved, and the site for their download games is not user friendly at all with the work that needs to be done to keep one of their download version games current.

EA wasn't bad based on the limited experience from that one game purchase.

I don't have any experience with D2D and don't think I'm going to mess with them.

From my experience I have to say that Steam is the best still. At least everything is right there with no one else to deal with. Game patches that come out are done automatically and in a timely manner (Steam already has the Underworld patch and I still don't).
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#37 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
i don't use d2d. i just use steam and i have no reason to look for alternatives.
xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
steam imo
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

[QUOTE="Jd1680a"]Direct2drive and Steam is quickly becoming equal in providing the same amount of games. Question is which site do you prefer?Gruug

Neither! I still prefer to get my games on a DVD in a box with a manual. Downloading means all you get is a game and maybe a PDF of the manual. And to save space, you may not get the manual. Plus, if any of those sites are down and I wish to reinstall a game then I have to wait. I know it is old school but I just like having the shiny disk in hand.

Yeah, a few of us are still out there. But still, steam has its uses. LIke $.98 Half-Life or Stalker for five bucks.
SOTE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SOTE
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts
steam d2dfailed me too many times
machine_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 machine_B
Member since 2007 • 998 Posts
Steam for me; downloads are super fast for me and its all in one - store, community page, friends list, updates, plus not disks AND you can download the manuals (for those who like them); no-brainer really
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts
Its not about the manuals, its about the little boxes you can proudly place on your shelve. but I really do like steam. And if you really need to hard copy of your game it has a feature that allows you to burn the game to a disk.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
Steam. D2D has a download limit, plus most of the games require "special" D2D patches, not the retail patches. Steam auto-patches. Steam hands down.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

steam mostly because it's required for Valve games.

I also prefer retail because it's cheaper. L4D preorder was 45 on steam and 35 on amazon.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Steam, but I prefer retails :).DanielDust
Same here.
purple_MAN1832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 purple_MAN1832
Member since 2004 • 2125 Posts
steam
Avatar image for scoobiesnackarf
scoobiesnackarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 scoobiesnackarf
Member since 2005 • 1559 Posts

Steam by a mile. I have one game off D2D and about 230 on Steam.

Alan

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
I like retail, but if the game is $5-10 i'll go with Steam.
Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts
Steam hands down!
therog2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points